Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live" Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 3, 2020 19:26

hockenheim95
They corrected the price now to 64€
Back to 48.73 EUR.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 3, 2020 22:37

The 1989 tour was fantastic.It is the most underrated Stones tour IMO. The band and especially Keith were great. It was not a Vegas act.It had great energy and musianship

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: August 4, 2020 02:21

ironbelly
hockenheim95
They corrected the price now to 64€
Back to 48.73 EUR.

It was 24.xx €

I skipped ...

Posted by: UKRod ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:22

So, looking at the 6 Disc version, I already have the Stones in Tokyo 1990 CDs and DVD issued as a Vaults version back in 2012. What is the difference with the new Tokyo 1990 disc on the Steel Wheels package? Are there extra songs? Does anybody know?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:33

UKRod
So, looking at the 6 Disc version, I already have the Stones in Tokyo 1990 CDs and DVD issued as a Vaults version back in 2012. What is the difference with the new Tokyo 1990 disc on the Steel Wheels package? Are there extra songs? Does anybody know?

It is simply a different concert with the same setlist. This one is February 24 while the Vault release was February 26

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:34

UKRod

It is an other show 24th instead of 26th [was released in Japan as 'From The Vault Extra']

24th:
[www.discogs.com]

26th:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-05 18:40 by glimmertwin1.

Date: August 5, 2020 18:47

Many thanks for your quick response, that's cleared it up for me. Cheers!

Date: August 5, 2020 18:48

Thank you! Very helpful, cheers.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 5, 2020 21:16

Taylor1
The 1989 tour was fantastic.It is the most underrated Stones tour IMO. The band and especially Keith were great. It was not a Vegas act.It had great energy and musianship

Well it makes sense you don't dig ER mate. That's what makes it so great to be a Stones fan, there's something for all!smileys with beer

Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 5, 2020 22:28

Which one was the better show, the 24th or the 26th?

plexi

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 5, 2020 22:33

Taylor1

I can’t agree. Two shows at Manchester on the urban jungle tour was my introduction to Live Stones, I was too young for ‘82. The disappointment of the muted guitars, parpy keyboards, shocking clothes and lack of any danger/spontaneity I remember to this day. Set the template for all tours since then. Essentially it marked Keith’s demotion from band leader to cartoon character OMG HES STILL ALIVE caricature. A role I’m disappointed he was happy to take, but understand as he’d tasted life outside the gilded cage and clearly didn’t fancy it long term. So no I won’t be joining in this celebrations but good luck to anybody who enjoys it. At least there’s Bill.

Date: August 5, 2020 23:17

timbernardis
Which one was the better show, the 24th or the 26th?

plexi
They are marginally different. Probably, 24th was mixed a bit better (guitars are louder) but it is brickwalled to death (DR=5-6) for Japanese WARD release.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 5, 2020 23:42

vertigojoe
Taylor1

I can’t agree. Two shows at Manchester on the urban jungle tour was my introduction to Live Stones, I was too young for ‘82. The disappointment of the muted guitars, parpy keyboards, shocking clothes and lack of any danger/spontaneity I remember to this day. Set the template for all tours since then. Essentially it marked Keith’s demotion from band leader to cartoon character OMG HES STILL ALIVE caricature. A role I’m disappointed he was happy to take, but understand as he’d tasted life outside the gilded cage and clearly didn’t fancy it long term. So no I won’t be joining in this celebrations but good luck to anybody who enjoys it. At least there’s Bill.
It was also the first tour for me, I too was too young in 81-82, it was a great concert for me, I saw them in Turin and it was a great emotion, my first time .... but if I have to analyze it today, there is no comparison with the VL tour. The VL tour was great for me, they played free from technicalities. But in 89.90 they hadn't played together for a few years, there was new technology and they were a little Pink Floyd style, however they did fantastic concerts, but too perfect for my taste.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: August 6, 2020 02:21

I’ve asked previously in this thread, but does anyone know as yet who mixed this release?

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 6, 2020 06:53

I have very few regrets in my life, but one of them is that I went to the first and the third shows in Atlantic City. Why the #$%&@ didn’t I go to all three??????

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 6, 2020 08:54

I was at Manchester and although Start Me Up was almost inaudible (the same thing happened to Born in the USA when Bruce started up at Roundhay - can anyone shed light in the technology of the period and why this happened?) the rest of the gig was great. I was also at Wembley August 25th - Bill’s final gig. The energy level in the stadium was incredible. The Stones were awesome that night. ‘82 was more relentlessly uptempo but 1990 was just as exciting. Wembley 2003 was off the charts too. No parpy synths or muted guitars! At Manchester 2018 the second hour was terrific after a so so first half. Shattered at half speed was not a great listen.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 6, 2020 10:52

I myself got this as my first download, I'd worn out the VHS and in 2009 Urban Steel posted his archive and that was the opening of the floodgates.

To have a pristine picture and Master Audio is going to be a treat, but for me it will represent the closing of the door on future archive releases, we now have just about everything sans Knebworth & Paris 76 officially. Outside of restorations of the Maysles work and @#$%& Blues i'm done with this series.

I'm looking forward to the GHS Deluxes and anymore expanded reissues but as for Videos except for those noted i'm done.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2020 10:54

Taylor1

Saw them twice. Slow and creaky opening night. Fantastic closing night. They were regal. It was their crowning achievement. If would have made sense to end the Stones after the 1990 tour. But...........................there was all that money to make playing the hits into the ground.

Date: August 6, 2020 11:20

24FPS
Taylor1

Saw them twice. Slow and creaky opening night. Fantastic closing night. They were regal. It was their crowning achievement. If would have made sense to end the Stones after the 1990 tour. But...........................there was all that money to make playing the hits into the ground.

The "hits"-setlists started on the stadium-gigs in 2002. VL and B2B had great setlist, just like SW/UJ.

We often confuse the huge stages, the clothes and the big band/backing musicians with poor setlists.

The songs they played in Europe on the VL-tour. Warhorses (by then) in bold:

Not Fade Away
Tumbling Dice
You Got Me Rocking (new song)
It's All Over Now
Respectable
All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Live With Me
Sparks Will Fly (new song)
Satisfaction
Love Is Strong (new song)
Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
Beast Of Burden
Fool To Cry
Let It Bleed
Angie
Wild Horses
Like A Rolling Stone (new cover)
Rock And A Hard Place (relatively new song)
Heartbreaker
Gimme Shelter
Monkey Man
I Go Wild (new song)
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Connection
Before They Make Me Run
Happy
Slipping Away (relatively new song)
The Worst (new song)
Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock'n'Roll (first time since 1976)
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 6, 2020 11:30

DP

I'm uite sure IORR was played in 1989/90 ...

Plus I'd say that Shelter, Angie and Street Fighting man by then could be considered wars horses too

C

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: August 6, 2020 11:41

liddas
DP

Plus I'd say that Shelter, Angie and Street Fighting man by then could be considered wars horses too

C

That´s correct IORR is also played during the SW/UJ tour. It is on the From the Vault releases from Japan and the Live at the (I)Max video/dvd release but not on the Flashpoint album

Date: August 6, 2020 11:47

liddas
DP

C

You're right about IORR, of course smiling smiley

But my point was that songs, like IORR, SFM and Angie, not yet had become warhorses by 1995. Not even GS.

Yeah, they were played in 1989/90, but before that? Angie a few times in 1982, SFM a few times in 1978. IORR in 1976. Hardly warhorses?

Date: August 6, 2020 12:56

Preview
[www.superdeluxeedition.com]
with current prices for all formats from different vendors.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2020 15:46

Dandy
The "hits"-setlists started on the stadium-gigs in 2002. VL and B2B had great setlist, just like SW/UJ.

Sure, they still played some new songs on those tours. But I think the template for the second part of the show started already in 1994/95. You know, Miss You, two Keith songs and then the usual suspects...

Date: August 6, 2020 16:27

Stoneage
Dandy

Sure, they still played some new songs on those tours. But I think the template for the second part of the show started already in 1994/95. You know, Miss You, two Keith songs and then the usual suspects...
I believe the template for the set list (minus Miss You and Start Me Up) was already set for 1975 tour. Look at the set list for LA Friday. They played the second disc of Hot Rocks 1964-1971 entirely + IORR, TD, Happy and a couple of oddities. Pretty much Las Vegas set list winking smiley.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 16:38

Keith and Ron played great on the 1989 tour.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2020 16:43

ironbelly
Stoneage
Dandy

I believe the template for the set list (minus Miss You and Start Me Up) was already set for 1975 tour. Look at the set list for LA Friday. They played the second disc of Hot Rocks 1964-1971 entirely + IORR, TD, Happy and a couple of oddities. Pretty much Las Vegas set list winking smiley.

I don't know about that, Ironbelly. By 1975 hardly any song could be called a warhorse. Except maybe JJ Flash, Honky Tonk Women and Satisfaction. And in the 70s they still came out with a new album almost every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 16:48 by Stoneage.

Date: August 6, 2020 16:50

Stoneage
Dandy

No, it didn't. They were scattered more over the setlist.

The real gathering of the warhorses started in stadiums in 2002. After that they bred them good, and there were even more of them, all stacked up at more than the second half of the show...

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 6, 2020 18:00

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DP

C

You're right about IORR, of course smiling smiley

But my point was that songs, like IORR, SFM and Angie, not yet had become warhorses by 1995. Not even GS.

Yeah, they were played in 1989/90, but before that? Angie a few times in 1982, SFM a few times in 1978. IORR in 1976. Hardly warhorses?

Street Fighting Man 69,70,71,72,73,75,76, a few in 78, and a few in 81

Date: August 6, 2020 19:25

Exactly, ' a few in 78 and 81'. Very few, btw. The 1989-crowd hardly felt that it was overplayed, as it hadn't been a staple in the setlist since 1976.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home