Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 35
Re: New Bluray / Atlántic City 89
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 17:38

Listening for the 3rd time in 2 days while I work from home. Talk about starting a show like they were shot out of a cannon! I know '89-present isn't the most popular era on IORR but I think the music speaks for itself on this one.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 15, 2020 18:08

Boogie Chillun' is the bollox along with Rambler and obviously SMU. I love the Swingin' Pig version with Bill and Charlie's hilarious interview, fun fun fun. Almost Hampton class. But yeah, they better get the mix right!!!!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 15, 2020 18:42

powerage78
Very good Harlem Shuffle, Mixed emotions, Rambler, Happy and JJF versions.

And a fantastic 2000 Light Years From Home one.

Period.[/7quote]

Yes, some really good versions on this show.
I always liked Harlem Shuffle as well.

Hope for a good mix and some extras.

Otherwise I must have half a dozen versions of this concert.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 15, 2020 19:37

On the Steel Wheel Tour the Rolling Stones show was super professional; lot a the songs sounded close to the originals, no shenanigans, fast and energetic tempos and the physical shape of the musicians was impressive. Hats of to them to be able to produce that type of work. I like when the Stones are less perfect, more musically nasty(78/81-82). Anyway they do it, it is exciting to listen to them.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 15, 2020 19:52

Sure, rollmops. In hindsight it's great. And the warhorses were less worn out then. Plus the hunger for live music after a seven year hiatus.
But it was also the start of click tracks, recorded instruments and other appliances on stage. Which should be noted also.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 15, 2020 19:59

Stoneage
Sure, rollmops. In hindsight it's great. And the warhorses were less worn out then. Plus the hunger for live music after a seven year hiatus.
But it was also the start of click tracks, recorded instruments and other appliances on stage. Which should be noted also.

Id rather have an appliance on stage then a 81/82 Rolling Stones band

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 15, 2020 20:17

dcba
TheGreek
This show is killer , even though this ushered in the "Vegas Era"

Yup and just like in 81 they had the supernatural ability to rise above themselves in terms of performance quality just for the PPV show.
A normal band would have given a clean well-oiled end-of-tour performance for the cameras, but in 81 and 89 the Stones added the "x factor" to that gig.

They are amazing!
Well said and so true "X Factor" You know how good the Stones are ? The Stones are so good even when they are middle of the road good , and we still eat it up and are thirsty for more and like you said "X factor " when they blow are minds . The truly consummate pros . Better than all the rest on there off nights .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2020 20:25

MadMax
Boogie Chillun' is the bollox along with Rambler and obviously SMU. I love the Swingin' Pig version with Bill and Charlie's hilarious interview, fun fun fun. Almost Hampton class. But yeah, they better get the mix right!!!!!

I've never come across the interview. Is it from the PPV?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 15, 2020 21:17

I know that there are fans out there that didn't appreciate the Stones slickness, production and polished nature to performing by the time they reconvened for the Steel Wheels tour (as the template used was a carry-over from Jagger's solo tour in that the songs were re-invented to sound like the recorded versions with all the subtleties thrown in), but I enjoyed the energy, tightness, and musical performances on this tour. By the time they played the Pay Per View in Atlantic City, boy they were hot! I would argue that they turned in great performances on just about every tune performed that night. It will be great having this momento as a professional release!

Another piece of minutiae and another reason why the Atlantic City 89 gig brings fond memories and a chuckle to my mind was that my brother who is a semi-retired, professional, world-class pool player was in Atlantic City that weekend playing in a tournament. He met a couple folks affiliated with the Stones organization on the plane enroute to the tournament, and gave my brother and some of his pool player buddies great seats to the show (I'm not certain whether it was the pay per view or the show prior to that one?). Anyway, my brother (who unfortunately is not a big Stones fan like me), declined an invitation to go back stage and shoot some stick with Keith and Ronnie (who from what I have learned love Snooker?). Anyway, another pool player went in my brother's place. My brother never heard the end of it from me. All he would say was that the concert was "alright" and too loud for him to enjoy....

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-15 21:18 by Sighunt.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2020 21:36

I don't necessarily care for the video so much but the live album - hopefully not @#$%& brickwalled - and absolute must have.

LIVE FROM THE TOYKO DOME is OK. Ronnie on SMU is rather subdued, or as some might say, missing in action, in comparison. SFTD on FLASHPOINT is from this show. Harlem Shuffle, Ruby Tuesday and JJF are from the night after this show was.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 15, 2020 22:16

I'm happy with this release, but I've read the various comments and I never expected fans to be so happy with this tour. It was a very technological tour, a bit far from the Rolling Stones standard. Today they are much freer to play and improvise and make mistakes, because this is rock'n roll! The set list was also quite strict ... I saw them in Turin and it was fantastic, but I preferred other following tours, for example the VL tour. Of course it's true that this concert was a little special, so I'm glad it's officially released.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 15, 2020 22:36

GasLightStreet
MadMax

Yeah, the interviews with Bill and Charlie, as well as other interviews with Ronnie, Keith and Mick, were all from the PPV, pre-show stuff. I don't remember how much of it was on the Swingin' Pig release, but there was a ton on the PPV, preceeded by a timer countdown and a loop of music videos (for Start Me Up, Hang Fire, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-15 22:55 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 15, 2020 22:51

video: [youtu.be]

Atlantic City '89 ppv pre-show,about half an hour...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 16, 2020 00:14

GasLightStreet
MadMax

Yeah, it's a must see, Wyman and Charlie "dries" poor Kurt Loder...smileys with beer

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 16, 2020 04:32

GivenToFly15
Let's hope Eagle didn't @#$%& this one up like everything else so far: the mix better be good!

I know other people here are convinced otherwise - and I’m not a conspiracy theorist so I’ll just admit that I’m wrong about this - but it’s so hard to believe that the mixes on Voodoo Lounge Uncut/Bremen/Buenos Aires/No Security were done fresh in the 2010s. It still seems more likely that all they have is a stereo mix, and they’ve applied all the mastering tricks they can but can’t improve on the source material. Otherwise, whoever mixed those needs their ears examined. Or possibly whoever mixed them was being held at gunpoint by Mick.

Given, as others have said, that we’ve had pretty good versions of some of these songs in the Flashpoint era, it augers well for a decent mix of this show.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 16, 2020 06:58

Great News.

I don't buy a lot of "product" these days, but this one's a guaranteed purchase.

The absolutely best bit is at the end of "The Red Rooster" (correct title for pedants), when Eric is walking back to the rear of the stage (back to the camera) and he goes past Mick (face on to camera), and Mick gives him a look that expresses pleasure, happiness, thanks and admiration at what he's just done.

Fan-bloody-tastic!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 08:27

tommycharles
GivenToFly15
Let's hope Eagle didn't @#$%& this one up like everything else so far: the mix better be good!

I know other people here are convinced otherwise - and I’m not a conspiracy theorist so I’ll just admit that I’m wrong about this - but it’s so hard to believe that the mixes on Voodoo Lounge Uncut/Bremen/Buenos Aires/No Security were done fresh in the 2010s. It still seems more likely that all they have is a stereo mix, and they’ve applied all the mastering tricks they can but can’t improve on the source material. Otherwise, whoever mixed those needs their ears examined. Or possibly whoever mixed them was being held at gunpoint by Mick.

Given, as others have said, that we’ve had pretty good versions of some of these songs in the Flashpoint era, it augers well for a decent mix of this show.

Why did Eagle promote (at least some of them) with a « new mix from the masters » sticker, then?

Date: May 16, 2020 08:35

And how do you explain:
- the perfect Clearmountain mix of I Go Wild from Miami/VL Uncut as compared to the « remixed and restored » Eagle release? The masters disappeared?
- the excellent mix on Stripped (with overdubs, i know) as opposed to the sometimes crappy Totally stripped? Just compare Gimme Shelter and Angie. So again, the possibility of a great work existed: where did it go?

As for Atlantic City, the best test will probably be Kiff solo on Sympathy. On the Swingin’ Pig set, it is somewhat buried. Wait and see.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: May 16, 2020 08:40

GivenToFly15
tommycharles
GivenToFly15

Why did Eagle promote (at least some of them) with a « new mix from the masters » sticker, then?

I think as above that we are dealing with Stereo sources that they are then mixing for 5.1, i find the straight stereo sources to be reasonable, i liked No Security

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 16, 2020 10:12

All of the bootlegs of AC '89 used the pay-per-view as the source. There was also the "VH-1 Rebroadcast" and "Terrifying" with a 3-D section. The three song 3-D segment came from Tokyo 1990 filming session set-up for the 3-D segment.

The VH-1 Rebroadcast and the Terrifying 3-D TV special sound much better since the were remixed by Bob Clearmountain. The pay-per-view wasn't remixed and doesn't sound that good compared to the Clearmountain remix and the overall better sound.

The sound of the official release may just rock you socks off!

Date: May 16, 2020 11:01

I hope so! Clearmountain knows what he’s doing.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 16, 2020 12:19

The sound quality of many boots are very good. I hope that Eagle doesn't mess it up like Miami 94. The boots are far better than the official release in this case. Musically Atlantic is one of the better performances of the Vegas era. Some rough and raw moments remind me of the Rolling Stones in 81/82. Mick's vocals aren't so smooth and clean as it is the case in the following performances of the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. Salt of the Earth seems to be a little extemporized, a fine moment ... Ronnie's solo on the opener Start Me Up is brilliant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 12:28 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 16:26

nothing has been said about van vinyl and cd support

Date: May 16, 2020 17:06

mick64

Eagle Rock always releases it on CD and vinyl as well.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 16, 2020 17:55

DandelionPowderman
mick64

Correct! It’ll be released across all formats. Also, I don’t think Eagle Rock messed up the mix for Voodoo Miami, it was recorded poorly at the time.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:10

That's correct. I think it will be hard to find a modern (post 89) gig with a worse sound than that Miami 94 PPV gig.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 16, 2020 19:26

flairville
DandelionPowderman
mick64

Correct! It’ll be released across all formats. Also, I don’t think Eagle Rock messed up the mix for Voodoo Miami, it was recorded poorly at the time.

No, definitely not. I've got a brilliant boot. It is a crisp and clear sound. Ronnie's fantastic solo on BoB is crystal clear and upfront. The acoustic guitars during the acoustic set are upfront, too. Eagle Rock's version is a muddy disaster.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 19:31

RobertJohnson
flairville
DandelionPowderman
mick64

No, definitely not. I've got a brilliant boot. It is a crisp and clear sound. Ronnie's fantastic solo on BoB is crystal clear and upfront. The acoustic guitars during the acoustic set are upfront, too. Eagle Rock's version is a muddy disaster.

Compare it with the I Go Wild Live Version from the single and you'll hear it

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 16, 2020 19:38

And now waiting for a concert minus 5 songs as bonus tracks? I hope not.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 20:03

Any release date from Eagle Rock

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1182
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home