Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Rory Gallagher
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 12, 2020 16:49

Folks,

Any Rory Gallagher fans here? His new live album from one of the best live years of his career 1977. 'Check Shirt Wizard' taken from four UK shows in January 1977, and it is fiery, exciting stuff! That last 4 tracks for instance, Rory blazing through some thrilling bluesy rock'n'roll. An incredible player and performer.

Have been rediscovering his catalogue recently, 1968-1970 with Taste, and 1971-1990 solo albums. Against the Grain from 1975, Deuce from 1971, Top Priority from 1979 - those three I had on all weekend and they are just so damn good!

We are lucky so many of his concerts were filmed, plenty of Live Rory on YouTube from 1970 to 1994; most tours have live videos or at least some live clips. The RockPalast and Montreux collections for instance, amazing. The German Beat Club Sessions one of my favourites - 90 minutes in wonderful quality of Rory and the band running through many tracks from those first two solo albums, playing live in the studio.

Link to 'Check Shirt Wizard' - [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-14 16:27 by IrelandCalling4.

Re: O/T Rory Gallagher - 'Check Shirt Wizard, Live in '77'
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 12, 2020 17:25

Rory was the man.

Not a fan of that line up with a piano (great piano player though, the late Lou Martin); I loved Rory best in a 3-piece band.

He played only once in my hometown Novi Sad, Serbia, then Yugoslavia - alas, back then in 1985 I was 7, but my older friend went and got autographs from Rory and the band:

[www.ne.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-12 17:26 by Milan.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 12, 2020 17:30

Rory Gallagher was a very good guitarist, I do not like his singing too much. It is sad that he died so early.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 13, 2020 08:39

I bought my first guitar off a guy in Rural Ireland in 1993. He shited On about having seen EVERY band you could possibly name, and told me he’d sold a guitar to Gallagher once upon a time, among 100 other tales.

18 months later I walk into the shop, the owner came out from the back where he used to have his tea and shite talk, and Rory Gallagher walked out behind him..... I couldn’t believe it. “Told ya I knew Rory” I genuinely believed the guy had been been in the pub for half the gigs he said he’d been to..

I said hello, told him I was obsessed with “a million miles away” and I was proud he was Irish and that was it. His brother was with him, but in the car outside. I never got to see him play live though. He also took an all Ireland island approach to his country and played all parts of it when some parts were being blown up. But that mostly was put on hold for music. Rory got respect for that.

Irish Tour 74 is brilliant. It’s mostly live Gallagher I listen to. His magic never as caught in the studio. Although the Taste Albums aren’t bad.

Slash has mentioned him a few times as an influence, Among others.

As I get older I realize after 30 years of loving music, I’ve turned into that weirdo guitar shop owner, with my list of tales and chance encounters. I even met Slash. drinking smiley

I guess everything now is where’s the photo.....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 14, 2020 12:43

Saw a few Rory shows through the 70's.

But most impressive was a gig with Taste at a German festival in 1970. Great Day, great Rory.
People were screaming for more for 30 min.But the band was already at the airport.

Among other groups were Colosseum and Free shortly before their big breaktrough with All right now.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 14, 2020 14:32

I saw Rory in Orleans, France (1985?). During the show he broke 2 strings, one after the other. He kept playing with 4 strings that he opentuned on the fly(still playing the song) and replaced the strings himself(still playing) and finished the song. @#$%& unbelievable!!! What a guitar man.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 14, 2020 15:46

That sounds like a typical Rory, Mops. Maybe it was in 1986? He played 5 times in Orleans:

[www.setlist.fm]

Could the IORRer who started the thread edit the subject just to "Rory Gallagher"? Thanks.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 14, 2020 16:52

I love the Rory Gallagher 74 Irish Tour and Taste albums.

Re: O/T Rory Gallagher
Posted by: roryg ()
Date: May 14, 2020 17:01

I saw him once at a club in Madison with my sister (we both loved Tattoo as our gateway) and a friend who was unfamiliar with his music. After a wonderful performance, we were walking out and we asked our friend what she thought of the show. She stated, "you didn't tell me we were seeing a psychedelic band"...Whaaa? My sister and I just laughed.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: May 14, 2020 22:24

Love Rory. The live version of "I take what I want" from the BBC sessions is just amazing.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 15, 2020 02:41

I saw him only once, the Festival Hall, Osaka, October 31, 1977. I can’t say I’m a dedicated fan, then and now, but I was quite impressed by the energetic performance by Rory and the band, which ran about two hours and ten minutes. I was very close to the stage (fourth row), and midway through the show, the whole crowd on the floor stood up, many behind me dashing forward.

He wore zero showbiz vibe around him, a pure musician from head to toe. No pretentious attitude whatsoever, a true unassuming guy. No typical rock’s bad boy posture, a la Keith, either. A boy next door who loves music. Fans loved such likable personality of Rory’s. All of which, however, may have somewhat negatively contributed to hamper him to achieve a bigger star status than his was. But that’s Rory for you.

Rory toured Japan four times, 1974, 75, 77 and 91. He left many a fab memory among the fans over there.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: May 15, 2020 09:43

Hi, maybe there's someone here on the Tell Me pages
who's got what I'm looking for...

it's the vinyl rip of

Rory Gallagher - The French Connection
(RSD 2018)

I've got lots of SBD/FM shows to trade.

Hope you're coping!
CrazyMama

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 15, 2020 11:49

Check Shirt Wizard arrived today and is now playing at work.
So much energy and tone in that guitar !!! Love it

Resotele

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 12:34

I've been rediscovering his first two solo albums, mighty fine stuff on both. Especially the debut, whether electric, acoustic or mandolin - wonderful playing.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 17, 2020 13:01

Maybe of interest to those who have access to German TV,
there will be a Rockpalast special in the early hours of June 8th.

[programm.ard.de]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home