Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones Overindulgence (on the bad side)
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 13, 2020 18:07

The whole 81/82 tour.

Keith's rotting teeth.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:11

I think their continuing insistence on going on tour at their age is definitely overindulgence. I think Jagger just cannot settle with their legacy, he has to have continual adulation or he feels somehow less than he used to be.

jb

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:15

Elmo Lewis
crholmstrom
Keith's buddy with the briefcase full of pharmaceutical grade cocaine who traveled with the band. The jail episode down south on the 1975 tour....

Freddie Sessler and Fordyce

The Fordyce story is hilarious in a warped sort of way.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:32

jbwelda
I think their continuing insistence on going on tour at their age is definitely overindulgence. I think Jagger just cannot settle with their legacy, he has to have continual adulation or he feels somehow less than he used to be.

jb

Applause/adoration is the most addicting drug of all.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2020 22:38

everybody's diggin hard tryin ta find something ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2020 23:14

MileHigh
Naming an album "Goats Head Soup." It's right out of the movie Spinal Tap.

GOATS HEAD SOUP released at the end of August, 1973.

SPINAL TAP came out in early March, 1984.

Goats head soup is a real thing, the Stones didn't make it up.

Date: May 14, 2020 00:38

>everybody's diggin hard tryin ta find something ....

Well hell we are talking about a band famous for overindulgence back in the mid 60s and ever since then they have been rewriting the book on the subject. Its like a certain president: once you have been offended to the core enuff, the rest kind of runs right off your back. They reached that point with me probably in about 66 or so, and so all the indulgence we have witnessed since doesn't really even raise an eyebrow anymore.

PS: sorry for the comparison to the chimp in the casa de blanca. GRRRRR indeed.

jb

Date: May 14, 2020 01:43

Okay jb show us the 60's dirt you've dug .... hhhhaaa

..... Lennon painted his Rolls ...
Beach Boys most likely took more drugs than any band ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 14, 2020 02:34

Rockman
everybody's diggin hard tryin ta find something ....

We’re working on you next Rockeee! I think there’s a pic somewhere of you in an Abba t-shirt... grinning smiley

Date: May 14, 2020 02:39

Oh dear .... Mum said she sold
off the family photo album for big bucks ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 14, 2020 02:54

I've worked a few films as 1st AD.
Some actors just need to be adored and there are people who just need to adore the actor. It's the ultimate co-dependent relationship.
I used to post a sign above the exit door of the studio:

Now Entering The Real World, Please Resume Normal Behavior...

One famous actor went BATSHIT crazy on me asking if I was making fun of him and his entourage with my sign.

I suspect it's the same for musicians... they start t believe their own hype.
I've been fortunate to meet people who've worked om some Stones Tours. Now, the band bring their families and are generous to a fault.

Date: May 14, 2020 03:05

>Beach Boys most likely took more drugs than any band ....

you are either just kidding or very deluded.

ever hear of the Grateful Dead, just for one example? And believe me, theres plenty more where that comes from, especially if you count bozodrene as a drug.

jb

Date: May 14, 2020 03:06

Awwww yeah forgot about Deads .... yeah see there ya go ... me no kid

ROCKMAN

Date: May 14, 2020 04:36

Rockman, could I ask where you got that information/impression of the Beach Boys? That was never the impression I had of them although I knew about a couple of them flipping a bit on acid for awhile, the Manson connection and I am sure the heavy mood altering drugs Brian Wilson was probably eating like candy under that the-rapist he was in the care of (Dr Landy was it?).

Other than that I was not aware they were any more into drugs than any other socal band at the time.

Is your info printed in a particular book that I could read? One that doesn't have Mike Love as an author? He is not a reliable source in my mind. smoking smiley

jb

Date: May 14, 2020 05:10

Oh shit now i'm cornered .....

different articles etc over the years...
But heck no I not have no printed evidence
i wouldnt bother saving any BB stuff ......

Hows that ????

ROCKMAN

Date: May 14, 2020 05:19

Hey yeah now i get it jb ...
Thanks for pointing that out ....

Dead Heads most likely indulged more than any band ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 14, 2020 05:57

>i wouldnt bother saving any BB stuff ...…

on the same wavelength there, that's why I was asking. I have read a few books on doings in Hollyweird but not all that much specifically about the BBs. Other than the Manson connection they were regarded by many as being a pretty clean living bunch, other than the typical LSD experimentation back in the sixties...and of course Brian Wilsons infamous emotional problems probably brought on by overindulgence in psychedelics but later leading to heavy drug use, both illicit and in a supposedly medical setting. Whether that was true in real life or not, I don't know.

As for the Grateful Dead, "dead heads" are fans, I was specifically speaking of the band members. In the early days they were test vehicles for Owsley's attempts to make stronger LSD (because they couldn't get off on "normal" LSD anymore) and it got deeper from there. I don't think there is another band on the planet that ingested more dope than those guys, consistently over long periods of time. I do know that my limited contact with them was always guided by one principle: never drink anything you did not open yourself. And even then...

jb

Date: May 14, 2020 07:12

never drink anything you did not open yourself.

.... pity someone at JonesTown hadnt have been taught that ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 14, 2020 07:14

Maindefender
Charlie's GIANT EGO

[www.youtube.com]

I haven't seen the video. It is LOVELY!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-14 07:15 by Happy24.

Date: May 14, 2020 08:40

>pity someone at JonesTown hadnt have been taught that ..

You crack me up, thanks for the good one!

Funny thing is, there were a lot of connections between Peoples Temple and the Grateful Dead. That whole mess was all over San Francisco. Read "Raven" if you are interested. It was a dread time.

jb

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 14, 2020 12:26

The gig with the elephants was supposed to be in Memphis, I went quite a bit of my way totally because of the "Stones riding in on elephants" thing that I heard somewhere along the way between the gigs in Boston and the one in D.C. that year.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 14, 2020 12:34

Bill and more than 2,000 girls...

Bobby Keys pouring a champagne bath...[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 14, 2020 12:41

Bill starting a relationship with a 14 year old girl...

Charlie knocking out Sir Michael in a hotel...

Ronnie shoving coke up his bum...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 14, 2020 14:51

Elmo Lewis

That's one drug Keef never fell into.

He's the guy who sang : "only a crowd could make me feel so alone", proof he never was fooled by fame.
In a way Keef's like Dylan : performing onstage is the most important thing in his life but he doesn't really care much for audiences and their adulation.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: May 14, 2020 15:28

jbwelda
>i wouldnt bother saving any BB stuff ...…

on the same wavelength there, that's why I was asking. I have read a few books on doings in Hollyweird but not all that much specifically about the BBs. Other than the Manson connection they were regarded by many as being a pretty clean living bunch, other than the typical LSD experimentation back in the sixties...and of course Brian Wilsons infamous emotional problems probably brought on by overindulgence in psychedelics but later leading to heavy drug use, both illicit and in a supposedly medical setting. Whether that was true in real life or not, I don't know.

jb
Dennis Wilson had his problems with drugs. Heroin and cocaine and alcohol. Apparently he was like Jim Morrison in that he would ingest anything that was given to him. And Brian, as you mentioned, had a coke problem.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2020 17:04

dcba
Elmo Lewis

He's the guy who sang : "only a crowd could make me feel so alone", proof he never was fooled by fame.
In a way Keef's like Dylan : performing onstage is the most important thing in his life but he doesn't really care much for audiences and their adulation.

Actually I have a totally opposite impression. I think both of our biggest heroes, Mick and Keith, are equally addicted to applause and adoration. The difference between them is that Mick loves being applauded and adorated what he does (you know, how he still is moving like Jagger and all that), while Keith being loved who he is (just appearing is enough). Even though Keith initially was a rather shy person - or that's why - I think I have not ever seen such a happy person on stage as I see Keith being there. That was once again the observation I made while watching the so called 'rare stuff' in youtube last Sunday.

What goes for Dylan, I don't know. His relationship with his audience is such a strange love affair. Both need each other, for sure.

But for the question here - I need to check the dictionary first to know what is asked here....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-14 17:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 14, 2020 18:20

dcba
Elmo Lewis

I assume you are joking... after all this is the guy who's been dragging around that ball and chain (image) for decades, why you may ask?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 14, 2020 23:25

The snoring sound at the end of In Another Land.

Date: May 14, 2020 23:57

The media and ignorant fans with the "coconut tree" and the insistence, it seems, still, that SFTD was played when Hunter got killed at Altamont.

Date: May 15, 2020 00:13

All those awful "remixes" of Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking: totally unnecessary, uncalled for, awful, terrible production.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home