Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos - Rehearsals for VH-1 TV show 1992
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 8, 2020 20:25

hi,

new to me, surfaced yesterday …

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos - Rehearsals for VH-1 TV show 1992
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 8, 2020 20:31

the show itself comes up tomorrow (may 9th)…
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2020 20:34

Thanks for the tip, Thomas..

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 8, 2020 22:38

This looks like the Winos PBS show Center Stage that was filmed/recorded at WTTW studio in Chicago. I was there. What a night that was!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 9, 2020 03:10

Anyone watching? thumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: May 9, 2020 03:54

Definitely Yes :-)

Date: May 9, 2020 04:22

Great show. Memories coming back. The band was very relaxed and loose. Funny to see ones self in that video 27 years ago. One thing I recall was the volume in there was well cranked up, especially towards the end. Next day ears still ringing. What a special treat to have been there. Thanks for posting that heads up thomashanck!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 9, 2020 08:22

Listening to the rehearsals now -- Body Talk "a cappella" version ... wow!

Thanks for the link!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 9, 2020 14:06

Watching the rehearsal; interesting to witness the band at work. Steve Jordan is discreetly in charge, he calls the shots.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 9, 2020 15:20

These were not rehearsals. This was the actual taping of the show. PBS edited this footage for the final production of Center Stage. A full video tape that has a long interview with Keith as well as even more video footage prior to when the band came out to play is around.

If anything this TV show shoot was kind of a warm up for the Winos as they were just about to go out on the Main Offender Tour 1993.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 9, 2020 16:23

They managed to edit this into broadcastable content ?!

Anyway cool video, is that a new thing on YT to be able to name sections just after the timing info ?

'Watching the rehearsal; interesting to witness the band at work. Steve Jordan is discreetly in charge, he calls the shots."

There probably wouldn't have been any Keith solo albums without him...

I remember talking to the "Club des Stones" guys at a record fair in 1993 and they'd just seen Keith and the Winos live and were worried about Keith, maybe a bad day because he looks ok in that video.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-09 16:26 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 9, 2020 20:13

watching this show I was thunderstruck at Keith's power and reminded how much of a decline in the last 10/15 years...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2020 20:33

Pretty cool.

Of course it lead me down the hole with Somethin' Else - and found one from the TALK IS CHEAP era that is much faster than the excellent MAIN OFFENDER tour version!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 10, 2020 00:47

thomashanck
hi,

[www.youtube.com]

Oh my the sheer power at 18 minutes.
999 just put shivers down my spine, and seeing Waddy and Keith is just thrilling, Keith's vocals much stronger than during the tour.

Thanks for posting .

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 10, 2020 01:00

gotdablouse
They managed to edit this into broadcastable content ?!

Anyway cool video, is that a new thing on YT to be able to name sections just after the timing info ?

'Watching the rehearsal; interesting to witness the band at work. Steve Jordan is discreetly in charge, he calls the shots."

There probably wouldn't have been any Keith solo albums without him...

Towards the end of that tour Keith looked really wasted, maybe the hard living on the road with this band is the reason he never went back.
Not sure Keith wouldn't have gone solo without Jordan, we're talking 88', still relatively young and lots of drive left in Keith, you make it sound like Keith was incapable of making music or playing live without Jordan, Keith has always had the ability to work with many artists.
Having said that I'm pleased he chose Steve Jordan, definitely got the best out of Keith.

I remember talking to the "Club des Stones" guys at a record fair in 1993 and they'd just seen Keith and the Winos live and were worried about Keith, maybe a bad day because he looks ok in that video.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 10, 2020 01:12

My observations on Steve Jordan ,from that video, seeming to be the musical director was a compliment to Steve. Keith had other hats to wear on a Winos tour.
Keith&Steve complement each other and that is Keith's philosophy about work and life; what is the point of doing everything on one's own?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 10, 2020 02:05

Literally to this day I thought the opening line was “Givin’ up / lovin’ it.” Now I discover it’s “giving up loving.” Remarkable.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 06:30

Awesome vid. Saw Keith in Vancouver Jan 93 at the Orpheum Theatre. One of the best concerts I've seen. My buddy I went with, we still talk about the concert. I remember during one song Keith bent down and signed an album a fan in the front row had, then got up and just kept playing like nothing happened.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 10, 2020 14:03

I think the best line-up was with Drayton on drum and Jordan on bass.

[vimeo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-10 14:13 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: May 10, 2020 19:53

KRiffhard

[vimeo.com]

That band knew how to Rock, great quality clip there KRiffhard thanks, he also played Struggle on SNL that night but can't find that anywhere.

I agree that line-up was the best, wonder why it changed.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 10, 2020 20:03

Watched this the other night.
So good!
Time is on my Side was special.

Glimmer Stone's Youtube channel is a treasure trove of live Stones!

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 20:05

Rehearsals & TV show on DVD-9
Keith Richards - WTTW Studios, Chicago 1992
ZitRock ZR-DVD-KR-16-01

Artwork & infos included

[www.filefactory.com]
[www.filefactory.com]
[www.filefactory.com]
[www.filefactory.com]

[iorr.org]

werther2003/ZitRock

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 20:10

thomashanck
hi,

[www.youtube.com]

"The Glimmer Stone" always uploads well known Stones stuff without any credits!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 10, 2020 21:32

stone4ever
KRiffhard

[vimeo.com]

That band knew how to Rock, great quality clip there KRiffhard thanks, he also played Struggle on SNL that night but can't find that anywhere.

I agree that line-up was the best, wonder why it changed.

It starts around 5:36
[dai.ly]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 11, 2020 17:11

Superb! Glimmerstone is putting up nuggets almost every goddamn week... Almost as good as Boston! Cheers!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:11

I was at the PBS taping. We got there at 5pm from Michigan and no one was around. We came back at 7pm and there was about 400 people in line. TV studios are tiny so it didn't look good. Just as we were getting close they cut off the entry. After all the bitching and screaming died down and most people left I cornered a producer and told him we'd come four hours and, "Was there, perhaps, an adjacent studio where we could watch the show on a monitor?" He looked at me and said, "Sure, no problem. Come on" and led about twenty of us into the studio next door. It was empty. No seats, nothing except a 32" TV on a stand. About twenty of us were in this room sort of wandering around with our hands in our pockets. About ten minutes later a loud, brassy woman we later ascertained to be Keith's manager, Jane Rose, walked in and proclaimed, "Ten lucky people can go into the the show!" Turned on her high-heel and strutted out. All twenty of us followed the floor manager into the studio and were allowed to stay, no problem. There was plenty of room though the audience was about 180-200.

My friend and I were stage right just behind the cameras in the middle of the floor. This put us about twenty feet from the stage. There was no stage entry so the band, followed by Keith who was shadowed by that big, tattooed bald guy who's dead now were led through the crowd to the stage. It was fun and very easy going. The show was stopped and started several times, a couple to restart songs begun in a shambolic fashion and some to replace tape in the cameras. During these breaks Keith would banter with the audience. A highlight was someone asking him, "Whaddya drinking these days?" to which he replied, "Nuclear Waste. It's vodka and Tang and it's so bad even I can't drink much."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:18

Hey thats a cool lil story rbk .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:36

Musta wrote "It's a Struggle" later in which ten years later or more Charlie said he should had saved that one for the Stones. The best performance of that gem is on a Sat Night Live show- available on YouTube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home