Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: what is your favorite stonesalbum and why?
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 1, 2020 21:13

Exile On Main St.

It's a grimy, drug and whiskey-induced stroll through Americana that touches on just about all the genres of music I love.

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 1, 2020 21:18

E x i l e . o n . M a i n . S t '

Date: May 1, 2020 21:36

SomeGuy
Just a question: I read a lot about open tunings on this forum. Why would a song in open tuning be a better song than a song in standard tuning? Or am I reading too much into this?

You can't generalise that answer smiling smiley

However, I've seen lots of cover bands trying to make CYHMK and SMU rock with standard tuning, without succeeding.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 1, 2020 22:10

Tattoo You! My first RS album, the one that made me a fan. Still holds up pretty well. I like the crisp production on it. The album sounds very good.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 1, 2020 23:09

Exile On Main Street!

Sometimes listening to Beggars, Let It Bleed or Sticky, i start to think ... maybe this is actually my favorite ... but then on next listen of Exile i realize I was wrong.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 1, 2020 23:29

the big 4 of

exile
let it bleed
beggars

have always been my top 4 stones albums with my own personal favourite tending to vary between exile and beggars,

but beggars usually is out ahead most of the time so thats my favourite stones album

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 2, 2020 01:41

The sentimental favourite will always be 12x5. It’s the first record of which I have a conscious memory and, to this day, the opening chords of Around and Around make me unreasonably happy. Next would likely be Exile - and for some reason I’ve been playing it when I go to bed for months, sliding into deep sleep every time. Then LIB, SF, BB, SG, VL, B&L, Ya Yas, Shine A Light... an embarrassment of riches.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 2, 2020 02:51

Let It Bleed — deep but sophisticated. An exquisite balance is achieved on this one.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2020 03:16

Exile. Because while other Stones albums may have 8-10 songs that I love, this one happens to have about 16-18

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: May 2, 2020 03:56

Toss up between SF and EOMS. But I think pound for pound their best songs are on LIB. I know that doesn't make sense but I think LIB isn't as rounded as an album. It feels more like a collection of great songs than a cohesive album. Plus I'm really not that fond of Country Honk (the fiddle is just too loud in the mix) - every other song on the album is a masterpiece.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 05:09

My favorite Stones album is SOME GIRLS. Just a classic album from start to finish. It's aggressive and fun. It reminds me so much of going down to the Jersey Shore on a hot Summer's day. It also is the closest Stones album to be released by my birthday (June 9th) and my birthday is June 6th. cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2020 05:26

Exile.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 2, 2020 05:31

Sticky Fingers for me. The NEW Rolling Stones with state-of-the-art rock & roll!

The greatest album "unboxing and user experience" was EOMS. The gatefold with so much surface area for pictures and artwork to look at. And then each individual album was in its own printed cover with more great pictures and liner notes. And then you had the post cards! You could spend hours looking though that as a 16-year-old!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 2, 2020 08:31

Through The Past & Darkly

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 2, 2020 09:05

Let It Bleed - I had always thought of the group as a Brit Invasion singles band. Album listening was reserved for the Beatles. Honky Tonk Women really impressed the summer of '69. I got Let it Bleed, my first Stones album for Christmas '69. It was beyond what I could understand. Midnight Rambler was frightening. The shifts in tempos. Live With Me, all my friends are junkies? My best friend he shoots water rats? What kind of people would write this? And the beautiful combination of Bill Wyman and Nicky Hopkins being more sophisticated at the intro of Monkey Man than I deserved.

Sticky Fingers is probably their best, most complete album. But Let It Bleed will always be my favorite.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: May 2, 2020 10:30

Beggars, because of the Rolling Stones rebirth after TSMR.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 2, 2020 10:48

For decades it was Exile but I have more recently come to wonder if I might just prefer Let It Bleed. As noted, it can change from day to day and I think the entirety of their output from Beggars Banquet up to and including Goats Head Soup is seminal. But if I had to choose today then it's probably Let It Bleed. Just for starters it has their greatest song on it, (Gimme Shelter), but every single track is brilliant in its own way and Monkey Man in particular is perfection.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 10:56

Sticky Fingers, just perfect.
For Sway and Moonlight Mile too.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 2, 2020 12:52

Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup, and Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 2, 2020 12:57

terraplane
Through The Past & Darkly

Along with Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), this my introductory ion to the Rolling Stones. My father pulled his dusty vinyl copies off the shelf and told me to give them a listen. They’re the original hits compilations and, in my opinion, as invaluable as any of their original Decca or London LP’s. 40 Licks, Grrr, etc, are faceless in comparison.

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: May 2, 2020 13:06

Let it bleed: a bit of Jones, a bit of Taylor, a mix of rock, blues, country and even a bit psychedelica but 100% solid Stones.

Underrated: Black and Blue
Live: of course GYYYO

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 2, 2020 13:55

Can't say the best but top three usually are Beggars Banquet / Sticky Fingers / Black And Blue.

I can't really say bad things about these records. Lots of great tunes and three quite different albums. Those records are also tying Brian, Mick T and Ronnie together.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: May 2, 2020 16:24

Love You Live! Not my first Stones album but the one that got me hooked for life. 40 years later I still love the live albums.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 16:55

For me, I’ll go with Tattoo You. Every track on this album (save for Neighbours) is a favourite of mine, and Start Me Up in particular ranks as perhaps my favourite track of all time.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 3, 2020 23:01

The American version of The Rolling Stones Now was my fave album of all time. Played it when happy, sad, despressed, groovin' and so forth. It just flowed for me. Next up would be Exile just because and that, with the exception of one or two songs, also flowed through all the times.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: May 4, 2020 19:55

In my opinion, Sticky Fingers is not only the best album by the Stones, it's the best album by anyone ever. Every song evokes strong emotion. Both sides of the album open with an archetypal Stones rocker. Sway is a masterpiece--I just don't want it to end, and the transition from Wild Horses to Can't You Hear Me Knocking is perfection. Side Two has some darkness, and you feel it strongly. Dead Flowers is a fun country song to sing along to, and Moonlight Mile is the best album closer ever.

However, Exile is a very close second. And if I had to pick only one disc to take on a desert island, it would be Exile since it has 18 songs instead of 10!

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: May 5, 2020 02:31

Some Girls for me, it’s where I came in. There are better records in terms of influence and classic songs but I love this record, all the way through. Even the cover is perfect

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 5, 2020 02:42

1963luca0
Black And Blue - it made me a fan forever

Yep, me too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 5, 2020 03:22

Gazza
Exile. Because while other Stones albums may have 8-10 songs that I love, this one happens to have about 16-18

The one I mentioned, ExileonFingersOut, has about 38 great songs. What's in a tile?

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: May 5, 2020 03:30

I will go with Dirty Work

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home