Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Extra Licks- Streaming Rare Performances
Date: May 11, 2020 12:58

padre69
Havana seems to be overdubbed guite heavily: loud handclaps on TD whereas on the screen everybody’s just reaching their phones and phones, Ronnie’s slide at the end of ADTL even though he’s lost the the slide tube a good while ago, Keith’s steady rhythm playing on BTMMR when to my eyes he throws a chord and there.

Not overdubs, but they have used pictures from different places in the song(s). That's quite common in Stones concert films and dvds.

Ronnie played both without (in the beginning) and with (later in the song) slide on All Down The Line.

What we know, though, is that they have edited some of the performances, for instance omitted some mistakes etc.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 13:23

spunky
stonesman87
GJV
If next time, as previously announced, will be something from the Voodoo Lounge tour than it's not difficult to guess which bonus stuff it's gonna be:

Bonustracks from N.Y. Giant Stadium:

Shattered
Out of Tears
All down the line
I can't get next to you
Happy

Good point. I'd been paying attention to older
releases, but not the more recent releases of old gigs. Plus this reminded me of Bridges to Bremen, so my updated take on what to expect is now this:

#3 May 17 - Sweet Summer Sun (just 3 tracks, maybe 4 if they include Tumbling Dice from the Japan-only deluxe edition)
#4 May 24 - Shine A Light (4 tracks, not seen at the cinema)
#5 May 31 - Bridges To Bremen (5 tracks, from Soldier Field, Chicago)
#6 June 7 - Voodoo Lounge Uncut (5 tracks, from Giants Stadium, NJ)

Each of these releases has "bonus tracks". Let's see if this is what eventuates .....

What about Sticky Fingers Live?

That's another good point. Hadn't considered that one, although with only 3 bonus tracks, they mightn't consider it's enough to "make the cut". In addition, with the possible chronological sequence that's already been established, continued in my possible sequence, it might have already not qualified for inclusion for that reason alone. It's just a speculative exercise. Now I'll sit back and watch what comes up each week. It's probably more interesting to get a present each week without knowing what's in the box. AND, unlike Christmas it's not too long to wait.

STOP PRESS:

I've just noticed that the blurb for this week's release (Havana Moon) includes the mention "... including performances from the 1994 Voodoo Lounge Tour and the 2016 Latin America Ole! Tour." I reckon that slots in my suggested #6, and ..... no, don't want to peak inside the gift wrapping any further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-11 14:36 by stonesman87.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 11, 2020 13:28

I've listend to that version of ADTL… but it's really a drag compared to the version on Stripped and lacking all the power

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-11 13:29 by slewan.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 11, 2020 13:35

DandelionPowderman
padre69
Havana seems to be overdubbed guite heavily: loud handclaps on TD whereas on the screen everybody’s just reaching their phones and phones, Ronnie’s slide at the end of ADTL even though he’s lost the the slide tube a good while ago, Keith’s steady rhythm playing on BTMMR when to my eyes he throws a chord and there.

Not overdubs, but they have used pictures from different places in the song(s). That's quite common in Stones concert films and dvds.

Ronnie played both without (in the beginning) and with (later in the song) slide on All Down The Line.

What we know, though, is that they have edited some of the performances, for instance omitted some mistakes etc.
I just checked padre69's points and nothing of that is true. All bullshit. The audience microphones are in front of the stage so if some people there are clapping then that's what you hear. If some people anywhere else are not clapping and rather staring at their phones then that's not gonna have an impact on the audience microphones. When Ronnie loses the slide then you also don't hear any slide playing anymore. His way of bending notes may sound like slide playing but it is NOT. And as for Keith... There's not much of a steady rhythm playing on Before they make me run. When he sings and stops guitar playing then you don't hear any of his guitar. BUT Ronnie does a really good job here filling the gaps. You probably have confused Ronnie's playing for Keiths. So please stop to post lies that are not true!
And yes, it is true that there is some editing to correct wrong notes - for example on the OOC solo. But that has nothing to do with overdubs.
If you want to criticize overdubs on A Biggest Bang or Live At The Max you can do that if you want to because these are heavy overdubbed but please don't make up things that don't exist. Sorry for the harsh tone...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-11 13:38 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 14:01

If that’s so, then that’s so. I’ll clean my ears.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 14:08

The awful Out of Control Keith solo.

DandelionPowderman
padre69

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 14:09

This one DP is far better no ? (Rio 2002)

[youtu.be]

DandelionPowderman
Hm, strange. I hear the guitars with the same intensity throughout. There are five seconds or so where Chuck takes over, while he's in the camera, but it's so short that I don't mind.

An excellent version, imo, although I've heard it a million times. The "problem" might be that, not the performance?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 11, 2020 14:41

stonesman87
spunky
stonesman87
GJV
If next time, as previously announced, will be something from the Voodoo Lounge tour than it's not difficult to guess which bonus stuff it's gonna be:

Bonustracks from N.Y. Giant Stadium:

Shattered
Out of Tears
All down the line
I can't get next to you
Happy

Good point. I'd been paying attention to older
releases, but not the more recent releases of old gigs. Plus this reminded me of Bridges to Bremen, so my updated take on what to expect is now this:

#3 May 17 - Sweet Summer Sun (just 3 tracks, maybe 4 if they include Tumbling Dice from the Japan-only deluxe edition)
#4 May 24 - Shine A Light (4 tracks, not seen at the cinema)
#5 May 31 - Bridges To Bremen (5 tracks, from Soldier Field, Chicago)
#6 June 5 - Voodoo Lounge Uncut (5 tracks, from Giants Stadium, NJ)

Each of these releases has "bonus tracks". Let's see if this is what eventuates .....

What about Sticky Fingers Live?

That's another good point. Hadn't considered that one, although with only 3 bonus tracks, they mightn't consider it's enough to "make the cut". In addition, with the possible chronological sequence that's already been established, continued in my possible sequence, it might have already not qualified for inclusion for that reason alone. It's just a speculative exercise. Now I'll sit back and watch what comes up each week. It's probably more interesting to get a present each week without knowing what's in the box. AND, unlike Christmas it's not too long to wait.

STOP PRESS:

I've just noticed that the blurb for this week's release (Havana Moon) includes the mention "... including performances from the 1994 Voodoo Lounge Tour and the 2016 Latin America Ole! Tour." I reckon that slots in my suggested #6, and ..... no, don't want to peak inside the gift wrapping any further.

Well, I am one of those who wants to open the Xmas presents before Santa comes, so I find interesting the scenarios suggested here. It looks like the time frame is from VOODOO LOUNGE to OLE OLE OLE, so the bonus stuff dervives from there.

Anyway, in trying to grasp the rationale used here, I have some problems. First I thought that the idea is to offer such material free that is not in a conflict/over-lapping with the stuff they could make some money from. With that I mean movies they can have now or in future in Netflix or in some other online services like it (they don't show extras there). The same can be said of DVD (or other format) releases they can sell (they keep the substance of them non-free). If they release all that free, there is no point in trying to profit from it in future.

However, as it happened, they removed the free stuff from the 'first show' now to private. So it's not any longer available for free. BUT: they could have released any of their concert/films full for a free week without doing much harm to their commercial potentiality, right? This one I don't quite grasp.

It could be that in many cases there are contractual problems with the content, like I guess they have with OLE OLE OLE in Netflix. Or they just minimize the possibility of their stuff losing any of its 'worth' by these free releases - despite it being only a week or so online.

Or this could be just another special deal they did, with YouTube this time, them actually making some money out of it.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-11 14:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2020 15:42

StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
padre69

I just checked padre69's points and nothing of that is true. All bullshit. The audience microphones are in front of the stage so if some people there are clapping then that's what you hear. If some people anywhere else are not clapping and rather staring at their phones then that's not gonna have an impact on the audience microphones. When Ronnie loses the slide then you also don't hear any slide playing anymore. His way of bending notes may sound like slide playing but it is NOT. And as for Keith... There's not much of a steady rhythm playing on Before they make me run. When he sings and stops guitar playing then you don't hear any of his guitar. BUT Ronnie does a really good job here filling the gaps. You probably have confused Ronnie's playing for Keiths. So please stop to post lies that are not true!
And yes, it is true that there is some editing to correct wrong notes - for example on the OOC solo. But that has nothing to do with overdubs.
If you want to criticize overdubs on A Biggest Bang or Live At The Max you can do that if you want to because these are heavy overdubbed but please don't make up things that don't exist. Sorry for the harsh tone...

It's easy to miss something sometimes. But if you reconsider how padre69 stated his point, which I highlighted in bold, you'll notice that it's a wondering. He's not putting forth a Stones version of PLANDEMIC.

Calm yer little fanboy ass down. "Stop to post lies" and "that are not true" is redundant, anyway. It's like saying "It may or may not happen." It may happen already implies the opposite.

You pull something like that again you'll be sent to the corner in the round room to cry.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 16:15

Yes, it SEEMED so, but a closer listened showed Ronnie doing a superb job in BTMMR patching Keith PLUS doing his licks.

Date: May 11, 2020 16:29

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
padre69

It's easy to miss something sometimes. But if you reconsider how padre69 stated his point, which I highlighted in bold, you'll notice that it's a wondering. He's not putting forth a Stones version of PLANDEMIC.

Calm yer little fanboy ass down. "Stop to post lies" and "that are not true" is redundant, anyway. It's like saying "It may or may not happen." It may happen already implies the opposite.

You pull something like that again you'll be sent to the corner in the round room to cry.
Read my last sentence again: "Sorry for the harsh tone". Someone had to point it out though because these things get quickly believed by many people who then spread it again. Sorry if you felt offended. Padre69 did not as it seems.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 11, 2020 16:46

Haha.. sometimes it feels like it is like with Caesar here. He divorced his wife Pompeia because of the rumours her betraying him. That was not the case, she did not, but because, according to him, "Caesar's wife must be above suspicion". grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 11, 2020 16:54

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
padre69

Read my last sentence again: "Sorry for the harsh tone". Someone had to point it out though because these things get quickly believed by many people who then spread it again. Sorry if you felt offended. Padre69 did not as it seems.

This isn't flat earth/chemtrails/COVID-19 conspiracy shit as you're making it out to be similar with the STOP THE LIES! whining.

He didn't tell any lies.

What are you "defending" anyway? I've never seen anyone here quickly believe things and "spread it again".

Date: May 11, 2020 18:28

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
padre69

This isn't flat earth/chemtrails/COVID-19 conspiracy shit as you're making it out to be similar with the STOP THE LIES! whining.

He didn't tell any lies.

What are you "defending" anyway? I've never seen anyone here quickly believe things and "spread it again".
Well, in some kind of ways we had some things like that here. In all different areas. That goes from Mick to wearing a wig to having extra guitarists behind the stage. If you can proof that something isn't correct and not true I think it is important to point it out. That's what I did. But as I already said in that post: Sorry for the harsh tone.

Date: May 11, 2020 18:33

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
padre69

He didn't tell any lies.

Well, in some kind of ways we had some things like that here. In all different areas. That goes from Mick to wearing a wig to having extra guitarists behind the stage. If you can proof that something isn't correct and not true I think it is important to point it out. That's what I did. But as I already said in that post: Sorry for the harsh tone.

LOL

I think some of that is people just having fun, interpretation can be an issue, although the person playing guitar was proven.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 11, 2020 18:41

>Bonus tracks on the dvd.

Yes bonus tracks on the dvd...bonus tracks compared to what, was my question. Compared to some CD release of the concert? Bonus means extra, extra compared to some other release without the extra. What was that release without the "bonus" tracks?

And sorry about not being up to speed on the venue, I rarely read threads here I have little interest in, my interest was piqued by this thread and I never read any prior threads on the Cuba concert specifically.

thanks again
jb

Date: May 11, 2020 18:41

GasLightStreet
I think some of that is people just having fun, interpretation can be an issue, although the person playing guitar was proven.
Here we go... That's what I meant. People tend to believe those things. Never ever was that proven. Yeah, we had Blondie playing a third guitar ON STAGE but the claim that a person behind the stage was playing Keith or Ronnies parts is just wrong. Therefore I think it is important to correct these claims immediately before they can spread. And that's what I did. Nothing against you or Padre though....

Date: May 11, 2020 19:11

jbwelda

Yes bonus tracks on the dvd...bonus tracks compared to what, was my question. Compared to some CD release of the concert? Bonus means extra, extra compared to some other release without the extra. What was that release without the "bonus" tracks?

And sorry about not being up to speed on the venue, I rarely read threads here I have little interest in, my interest was piqued by this thread and I never read any prior threads on the Cuba concert specifically.

thanks again
jb

Compared to the album (CD, vinyl), and compared to the digital releases (on Netflix, for instance).

Date: May 11, 2020 19:23

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
Here we go... That's what I meant. People tend to believe those things. Never ever was that proven. Yeah, we had Blondie playing a third guitar ON STAGE but the claim that a person behind the stage was playing Keith or Ronnies parts is just wrong. Therefore I think it is important to correct these claims immediately before they can spread. And that's what I did. Nothing against you or Padre though....

Well, from what I can remember, that was the point - the person "behind the stage" was on stage and that was Blondie.

That's how I remember it. Ha ha I could be wrong. Alas, it means nothing and doesn't matter so sometimes it's best to let people believe their silly shit (flat earth, chemtrails, etc) because facts don't matter to begin with. Some of those things go on for months.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:05

jbwelda

See here: [iorr.org] . The original Live-Setlist had 18 Songs, the DVD/BR 13 Tracks + 5 Bonus, the Digital Video (iTunes, Amazon) only 13 Tracks - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-11 20:10 by Irix.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:24

So......nothing from the Golden Era? It's all Voodoo Lounge and afterward? Forget it.

thumbs upRe: Extra Licks- Streaming Rare Performances
Date: May 11, 2020 21:56

24FPS
So......nothing from the Golden Era? It's all Voodoo Lounge and afterward? Forget it.

I felt the same way. Same thing...…..different tours.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 11, 2020 22:58

24FPS

Nothing from Gimme Shelter or Ladies & Gentlemen then......

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 12, 2020 02:01

I hope they show one the 2012 shows from England.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 15, 2020 16:05

The Rolling Stones Live At The Fonda Theatre - Extra Licks!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 15, 2020 16:25

bye bye johnny

Only 3 Tracks then ?

[www.Amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: May 15, 2020 17:15

Irix
bye bye johnny

Only 3 Tracks then ?

Yes unfortunately. Only 14:58 minutes.

Date: May 17, 2020 21:00

Extra-Licks, Part 3 of 6, 17-May-2020 (Bonustracks Fonda Theatre 2015):

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:14

I thoroughly enjoyed the tracks from Fonda theatre gig..
If I can’t let you loose was a revelation, don’t know if I had heard that song before..
I love all down the line.. plus you seem to get supercharged guitars on when the whip comes down with Mick on guitar as well..
The pleasure and smiles on their faces is brilliant on the footage. Great stuff!!
Rocking and ruling!

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:39

Great performance! The first time that I have seen this stuff

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home