Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: Extra Licks- Streaming Rare Performances
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2020 18:51

Isn't this the same phenomena as with the latter day setlists? They're doing it for the tourists. And the grandkids. The newcomers.
Hardcore fans is such a diminutive group they're more or less redundant?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2020 20:20

GasLightStreet
Well, cool and all, but there really is NO reason whatsoever for them to put out Paint If Black and Honky Tonk Women and Miss You again. Certainly there were, oh my, "other" songs to offer.

What a waste of time.

Instead of doing something inventive they just play DVD extras.

Stupid.

I wouldn't call it stupid. More like laziness. They didn't need to do anything else than throw out the stuff they already have released. Something that once was something people needed to pay to get, is now free. Nothing new under the sun.

But then again, they didn't need to do that. Nor us to pay one cent to get the stuff. Or watch it anyway. I think it is nothing but some free bonus stuff, a nice gesture from them during the coronavirus period.

Personally I am happy with it: I wouldn't buy the OLE film to get that stuff. Nice to have it free, alongside watching the movie in Netflix if I feel like. So for me it is "rare stuff" in the sense that it is earlier released as a bonus material to some movie. Besides, "rare" doesn't mean "not released before". They once made an album called RARITIES based on b-sides and whatever, but for a completist there was nothing unhearable there except one live track or something if memory serves. But not every Rolling Stones fan is a completist.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-04 20:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 4, 2020 20:48

Nice gesture for sure.
But they are making money during the Covid period too with Leaving in a Ghost Town smoking smiley
I don't care, just a fact.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-04 20:59 by powerage78.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2020 21:08

They could double down, entertain, and sell. They could show a restored video from '76, or Atlantic City '89, and whet the appetite for more.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2020 22:51

Seems to me it's all business, 24FPS. No one in the organization seems to care. Unless money could be made from it. If they only had one fan within the organization who cared for the longstanding fans.
Who came up with something extra for the loyal fanbase. But I guess it hasn't even crossed their minds to do anything like that.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 5, 2020 01:32

I doubt "they" (the actual Rolling Stones) really have much to do with this whole marketing thing, Mick possibly excepted. They may not even know about it in particular, they just let their accountants cash the checks. Seriously, that's how this looks to me.

jb

Date: May 5, 2020 04:48

I was hoping for RARE but really was not surprised to get the typical songs. Its all good anyway but maybe just throw in one rarity each week for a nice surprise. I have a huge Stones DVD collection as I'm sure many of us do. Some of them have never been unwrapped.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2020 18:24

bottom of the barrel

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 5, 2020 18:40

This is awesome, thanks for sharing thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2020 19:29

So that was that - let's stop crying and let's look forward - the war is not over yet, more battles to come.

So if the idea is to release some already released 'rare extra footage', what there is left to expect? I mean, what is similar to that kind of extra material in some other previous releases? My knowldge stops here, but there are folks here who know all about their releases. I know FOUR FLICKS had extra songs, but since that was a DVD only release, those extras or not any rarer than the material that made the three (reduced) concerts. VOODOO LOUNGE was mentioned. Any extras there? What about SHINE A LIGHT? GIMME SHELTER for sure, but I don't think they own rights for that stuff. STONES IN THE PARK? LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER? (Shit, in my dreams they would release the concert material of CS BLUES in full...)

The thing is that if there is not much such already released extra material (we need five sets of them still), the chances are better to get something actually non-released material in any form prior in future...

Get me?smiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 19:38 by Doxa.

Date: May 5, 2020 21:19

VL has 5 extra tracks from Giants Stadium. I Can't Get Next To You and Out Of Tears, among others.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 5, 2020 22:03

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Well, cool and all, but there really is NO reason whatsoever for them to put out Paint If Black and Honky Tonk Women and Miss You again. Certainly there were, oh my, "other" songs to offer.

What a waste of time.

Instead of doing something inventive they just play DVD extras.

Stupid.

I wouldn't call it stupid. More like laziness. They didn't need to do anything else than throw out the stuff they already have released. Something that once was something people needed to pay to get, is now free. Nothing new under the sun.

But then again, they didn't need to do that. Nor us to pay one cent to get the stuff. Or watch it anyway. I think it is nothing but some free bonus stuff, a nice gesture from them during the coronavirus period.

Personally I am happy with it: I wouldn't buy the OLE film to get that stuff. Nice to have it free, alongside watching the movie in Netflix if I feel like. So for me it is "rare stuff" in the sense that it is earlier released as a bonus material to some movie. Besides, "rare" doesn't mean "not released before". They once made an album called RARITIES based on b-sides and whatever, but for a completist there was nothing unhearable there except one live track or something if memory serves. But not every Rolling Stones fan is a completist.

- Doxa

Rare.

Everything Is Turning To Gold is their biggest B-side with mileage: Shattered, SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and FLASHPOINT + COLLECTIBLES yet somehow, ha ha, it didn't make RARITIES.

What was rare on RARITIES? Through The Lonely Nights and the 1981 live Beast Of Burden.

The rest of the tracks, not really and not at all: the edited long version of Miss You is not noticeable; the STRIPPED LP track and B-sides were not very old; Mannish Boy was already released twice on album; Dance Pt 2 was already released on album.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: May 6, 2020 01:28

OK, it's clearly recognised that Olé Olé Olé! comprises the bonus live performances on the commercial DVD.

Next ... drum roll ..... what can we expect in the following 5 weeks? Is there a schedule listed somewhere, or do we simply wait for each Sunday night to find out?

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 6, 2020 03:04

“All available DIGITALLY for the first time.” Read the words. They choose them specifically for a reason. Does t mean they have t her released some other way before. Just not officially on this medium.

Date: May 6, 2020 03:57

Our definition of RARE is different from the casual fan, because the RS create these things for the masses. Not everyone lives and breathes for RS rarities and probably would not recognize it if they heard it. Still hoping for a rare surprise for the diehards though.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 6, 2020 07:50

Like the complete El Mocambo show, which it is reasonable to expect they have on tape somewhere.

jb

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 6, 2020 08:26

Stoneage
Seems to me it's all business, 24FPS. No one in the organization seems to care. Unless money could be made from it. If they only had one fan within the organization who cared for the longstanding fans.
Who came up with something extra for the loyal fanbase. But I guess it hasn't even crossed their minds to do anything like that.

Nor should it.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 6, 2020 14:52

Friday May 8th would have been the start of the 2020 leg of the tour.
think of all the bummed out folks that can't get to see the Stones for obvious reasons. makes a lot quite happy.
Now if the tour was on and you were about to see every gig of this leg - how many set list differences would you catch ?
anyway, I'd only be watching the show updates here on IORR, YT, Periscope twitter whatever ......so rare performances streaming is a thing, of course not at it's best but....YCAGWYW

not bad for a #stayhome offer.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 6, 2020 15:30

BitchKeepsBitchin
Our definition of RARE is different from the casual fan, because the RS create these things for the masses. Not everyone lives and breathes for RS rarities and probably would not recognize it if they heard it. Still hoping for a rare surprise for the diehards though.

Let’s call it medium rare.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:28

Well personally I really enjoyed watching the streaming performances.

Jeez, watching that entire extra set was just like being there, up close.
Couldn't get any better. OOC was awesome -- the quick cuts, how the song is framed, Charlie looking at Mick picking up his harmonica, Keith giving the ok to Charlie to start the song after one last long drag, the communication on stage of the piece, and the reaction of the audience! WOW.

I wouldn't have thought to dig out my DVD and watch that while working, they put it up there on youtube for us --- holy cow that was great. You can watch it over and over too.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 6, 2020 23:43

Agreed that OOC is damn good on that Ole Ole clip; seems a well known song in South America. I've grown to really love the song I must say over the years.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 7, 2020 00:19

onestep

+1. Haven't bought a Stones video since 25x5, don't know anything about Olé. Loved seeing these shows I attended, and going over my notes from the time. Even took a bathroom (+ kitchen and laundry) break during Miss You.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2020 00:24

DeanGoodman
onestep

+1. Haven't bought a Stones video since 25x5, don't know anything about Olé. Loved seeing these shows I attended, and going over my notes from the time. Even took a bathroom (+ kitchen and laundry) break during Miss You.

Same.
Didn't attend and had only watched clips before.

Loved it.
Excited to see what comes next week.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: May 7, 2020 04:28

Well I’m loving it! OCC just rocks and the crowd is so into it. Rockin Ronnie Wood earns his moniker on Midnight Rambler with 2 screeching solos. And the MR pacing and arraignment make for a very refreshing version of a song that I’ve listened to at least weekly for the past 40 years. 2 new facets of the Stones for me. And Daryl’s excellent and significant contribution to these songs also stood out to me.

I always loved live Stones and loved every concert bootleg recording that I could find when I was younger. Can’t listen to those anymore-now you are right on stage with The Stones and the digital music quality coming at you from exactly where the guitar is on stage is unbeatable.

Sure I’ve heard every released and common boot version of these songs before. And I’ll admit not yet making it back to Miss You for a second listen. But hearing grabbing versions of the warhorses and 2 so new/current/refreshing versions of 2 of the songs I’ve loved for so long makes this a great release to me.

Thanks for this release! Can’t wait for the next one!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 7, 2020 04:33

....... at last one happy guy ... Go Joe

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 7, 2020 11:51

While we're doing 2016 couldn't they dig out Worried About You from Sao Paolo (I Think) which was released in the app they started a couple of years ago. I loved the sound mix on that one.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 7, 2020 12:55

The sound on those Ole-extras is fabulous!

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: May 7, 2020 13:15

Out of interest... do we know what the next one will be??

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 7, 2020 13:35

OOC is a cool song, but too often Keith solo part is juste awful (Cuba !).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 7, 2020 13:45

smileys with beer

MisterDDDD
DeanGoodman
onestep

Same.
Didn't attend and had only watched clips before.

Loved it.
Excited to see what comes next week.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home