Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Johnny Winter
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 9, 2020 18:27

RobertJohnson
rollmops
Have the Stones and Johnny ever met?
Rockandroll,
Mops

I don't know. But I think so. Silver Train was allegedly written for Johnny Winter by Keith and Mick. Johnny released it before it appears on GHS.
Jagger ,RonWoodand Winter went to see Stevie Ray Vaughn concert together

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 9, 2020 19:59

Ok Winter fans, someone just uploaded this today; aside from those two songs posted on the previous page, from Paris 1970, this is now the third video, that I know of, of the Johnny Winter And line up. Anyone know the exact date or venue?

Edited to add: Could be Atlanta Pop, 5 july 1970? Pro-shot, those bright lights, his name on the screen as if there were more performers...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-09 23:12 by Milan.

Date: May 9, 2020 22:46

Johnny Winter 1991 in Zurich - probably the shortest concert I ever saw, just around an hour. He played just double as fast as anybody else.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2020 00:08

hhhhaaaa imagine if he'd been in The Ramones ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 10, 2020 00:22

To answer my own question; yes Mick and Keith met Johnny in 1978 at a rehearsal studio in Chicago S.I.R. Johnny was drunk and "obnoxious" to Mick but Jagger took it well. Got that info from "Raisin' Cain" (page 228) written by Mary Lou Sullivan. Great book about Johnny.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Here is a video from 1970. Johnny on the French TV.

[youtu.be]

Date: May 10, 2020 00:28

I have posted that video on the previous page. Thanks for the book info, though! Been meaning to buy it, especially since it is the ONLY book on JW.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 10, 2020 01:03

mrjones
Saw Johnny & Edgar at the Beacon theatre 1974. Not a concert-was musical opening nite- "sgt.pepper club band on the road". John Lennon was involved in this.They were just standing in the lobby having drinks. Lots of people there. Had 2nd row seats-they sat right in front of us! Said hi to them. Looked back to my left about 5 rows back Lennon sitting there with mae pang!! Wild nite. A rowdy bette midler sat next to me. as for the show itself-just so-so. The other show was so much better!!
the boys & Lennon at Beacon 1974

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 10, 2020 04:16

Oh Hell yes! He paid excellent tribute to all the Rolling Stones numbers he covered but Stray Cat Blues on the Saints and Sinners LP is truly incredible.

CBII

Date: May 10, 2020 04:38

He paid excellent tribute to your dad as well...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2020 04:52

thumbs up

Go Johnny go...

Date: May 10, 2020 04:52

mrjones
video: [www.youtube.com] Johnny B. Good Does it for me.
He sure did!

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: May 10, 2020 17:45

On Muddy's Hard Again album, Johnny Winter is credited with "Guitar and Miscellaneous Screaming". If you listen to Mannish Boy, Johnny's screaming and hollering really does add to the song.....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 10, 2020 17:49

RobertJohnson
rollmops
Have the Stones and Johnny ever met?
Rockandroll,
Mops

I don't know. But I think so. Silver Train was allegedly written for Johnny Winter by Keith and Mick.

Well, this is not true.
They gave him Silver Train cause he asked for a song. But it was already written.

Date: May 10, 2020 17:49

HonkyTonkJan
On Muddy's Hard Again album, Johnny Winter is credited with "Guitar and Miscellaneous Screaming". If you listen to Mannish Boy, Johnny's screaming and hollering really does add to the song.....

If people didn't know already that version (Johnny's screaming included) was made immortal by the Levi's 501 commercial in the 80s smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 18:44

Didn’t John Lennon write a song for Johnny called Rock n Roll People? Would have enjoyed Johnny in the Plastic Ono Band.Live he and Lennon could have played Yer Blues and Hard Days Night.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 10, 2020 18:56

RoadWork -need we say more? What a live album!!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2020 19:50

Taylor1
Didn’t John Lennon write a song for Johnny called Rock n Roll People? Would have enjoyed Johnny in the Plastic Ono Band.Live he and Lennon could have played Yer Blues and Hard Days Night.

He didn't write it specifically for Johnny, but Johnny recorded it for his John Dawson Winter III album from 1974.
The version I heard first and think is the best is on Captured Live from '76.

Lennon recorded his own versions early '70's w/one being released posthumously in '86.
Not sure why he didn't release it himself earlier as all of his original versions are great!
From the Beatles Bible: Rock 'n' Roll People

Rock And Roll People was written by John Lennon in 1970, but remained unreleased until 1986, when it appeared on the posthumous collection Menlove Ave. Lennon recorded a home demo of the song towards the end of 1970, when he was writing songs for the follow-up to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Performed on a piano at Tittenhurst Park, the demo showed how the song was originally intended to be a celebration of the 1950s music Lennon always loved. The song was evidently considered unsuitable for Imagine, Lennon’s next solo album. It remained ignored until mid-1973, when Lennon recorded a number of new demos, of songs which mostly found their way onto Mind Games and Walls And Bridges. This time Rock And Roll People was performed on a guitar, played with a slight Bo Diddley rhythm, and featured some improvised percussive noises seemingly performed by Lennon slapping his knees.It was finally brought to the studio during the Mind Games sessions. The band of session musicians attempted it a number of times on 1 and 4 August, but the workmanlike performance and uninspired lyrics made this far from a vintage Lennon recording.

Shelly Yakus, who engineered Mind Games, suggested that Johnny Winter record Rock And Roll People for his 1974 album John Dawson Winter. Lennon granted permission for its release, although he did not contribute. This was the first commercial appearance of the song.

Menlove Ave was released in 1986, six years after Lennon’s death, and contained a number of studio outtakes from 1973 and 1974. The version of Rock And Roll People was a composite edit of takes six and seven, recorded on 4 August 1973. On the sleeve of Menlove Ave the song was titled Rock And Roll People, but a facsimile of Lennon’s handwritten lyrics included with the original vinyl album had it as Rock ‘N’ Roll People. A promotional single of Rock And Roll People was issued in support of Menlove Ave, but failed to generate much interest for the album.

Menlove Avenue version, released 1986:

Piano demo, 1970:

Guitar demo, 1973:

Alternate And Extended Mix, 1974:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-10 19:56 by Hairball.

Date: May 11, 2020 06:44

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 12, 2020 16:00

Get a load of this you crazy ass Rock-n Rollers!!!! thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 13, 2020 20:01

video: [alldylan.com] hwy.61 not bad-Dylan Wembley 1984. Mick Taylor on guitar-go Mick!!!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 13, 2020 20:40

Doxa
To me Johnny Winter was always belonging to a great series of three big white American singer/guitar players 'modernizing the blues', that is, giving it a certain recent personal rock twist. First came Winter, then George Thorogood and finally Stevie Ray Vaughan. That it looked like in the middle 80's. That was the scene I located Stevie Ray when he appeared to my consciusness (TEXAS FLOOD simply blew my mind), following those guys, and I always thought that the comparisons of him to Jimi Hendrix were out of place (Jimi was something else, a Dylan/Stones/Beatles-like much bigger phenomenon musically).

Among others, with Winter I think it is important to remember his job with Muddy Waters. HARD AGAIN is one of the greatest blues albums ever done. I think it is one of those albums that especially applies as a great introduction to the world of electric blues for fresh ears. Now to think of that: BLUE & LONESOME is another!

- Doxa

Myself I happen to be someone who very much prefer the few other Muddy Waters albums that I have got, to HARD AGAIN. To put it mildly, I have never been delighted by HARD AGAIN, I have got to say.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 22, 2020 13:38

too big to play!

Date: May 22, 2020 14:50

Heh, heh... I love how even when fooling around for that photo, he had to have his thumbpick on.

Kinda sad that you guys in Japan did not get to see him until 2011.

Not sure if he ever played in Australia, maybe Rockman could tell us.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 14:52 by Milan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2020 15:09

Yeah Yeah ....
Saw Johnny at Festival Hall Melbourne somewhere in the 80's ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 22, 2020 15:30

Hey, thanx R-man... 1986 seems to be the year -- [www.setlist.fm]

Date: May 22, 2020 15:37

... and believe it or not, there's a bootleg of the Melbourne gig:

JOHNNY WINTER, 1986-07-20, The Palace, Melbourne, Australia (Tape source)
20 July 1986, 90 min, vg+, aud

I received this one dated 1985 but Johnny toured in Australia in 1986 only. He played some dates in Sidney the days before.

Setlist:

- (cuts in) Honky tonk/hideaway (some flaws in the very beginning)
- Sound the bell
- Boot hill
- Brown eyed handsome man
- I smell trouble (tape flip)
- Don't take advantage of me/drum solo
- Murdering blues
- Mojo boogie
- Johnny b. Goode
- It's all over now

You can hear it online by just clicking it here -- [ia800704.us.archive.org]

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 22, 2020 16:16

Milan
... and believe it or not, there's a bootleg of the Melbourne gig:

JOHNNY WINTER, 1986-07-20, The Palace, Melbourne, Australia (Tape source)
20 July 1986, 90 min, vg+, aud

I received this one dated 1985 but Johnny toured in Australia in 1986 only. He played some dates in Sidney the days before.

Setlist:

- (cuts in) Honky tonk/hideaway (some flaws in the very beginning)
- Sound the bell
- Boot hill
- Brown eyed handsome man
- I smell trouble (tape flip)
- Don't take advantage of me/drum solo
- Murdering blues
- Mojo boogie
- Johnny b. Goode
- It's all over now

You can hear it online by just clicking it here -- [ia800704.us.archive.org]

I think I can hear Rockman cheering at 28:32.

Date: May 22, 2020 16:59

There is also this 30 min. tape from Melbourne, Festival Hall, 5 july 1986:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 22, 2020 21:11

Milan
Ok Winter fans, someone just uploaded this today; aside from those two songs posted on the previous page, from Paris 1970, this is now the third video, that I know of, of the Johnny Winter And line up. Anyone know the exact date or venue?

Edited to add: Could be Atlanta Pop, 5 july 1970? Pro-shot, those bright lights, his name on the screen as if there were more performers...

Is that Mick Taylor, solo-ing throughout the whole song? smoking smiley

Date: May 22, 2020 21:47

Yup, that's our Mick T. smoking smiley

It's Rick Derringer of course, and check out Edgar Winter on drums, who was filling in for a few gigs between two Bobbys...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 21:47 by Milan.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home