Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Johnny Winter
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2020 09:17

Oh, just found the youtube interview, but I won't won't post the link here, in respect of Johnny Winter, he's so old and sick - it's a sad watch

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2020 09:18

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 5, 2020 10:07

Mississippi Delta Blues, 1979 (Essen, Grugahalle, Rockpalast)

[youtu.be]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 5, 2020 11:29

Been at the 70's Essen show.
But when he came on late at night I was tired and stoned.
Music did a lot for me but also made me an addict for a loong time. So I have love and sympathy for all my brothers in arms there.

Johnnys Stones stuff is among the best.
Unfortunately his songwriting wasn't as great.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2020 19:21

Along with the Muddy albums, there was also this release from 1984 reviving the career of Sonny Terry who at that point hadn't released an album since 1974 - produced by Johnny who also plays guitar and piano.
Backed by Willie Dixon on bass, overall it's a pretty darn good album. I have the vinyl bought back in the day, but haven't listened to it in years...a quick look through youtube and voila:

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 5, 2020 22:45

CousinC
Been at the 70's Essen show.
But when he came on late at night I was tired and stoned.
Music did a lot for me but also made me an addict for a loong time. So I have love and sympathy for all my brothers in arms there.

Johnnys Stones stuff is among the best.
Unfortunately, his songwriting wasn't as great.

I have been a Johnny WInter Fan since I heard the Live Johnny Winter And album at a friends house when I was in high school. I saw him a few times in the 70's and a couple of dozen times up until he passed away and he is one of the most underrated and overlooked guitarists from the golden age of Rock IMHO.

I do agree he was not a strong songwriter and some of his best material are cover songs.

Reminds me alot of Jeff Beck in that regard in that I think he is an amazing guitar player but I never thought much of his song writing ability.

Could be like our own Brian Jones as well. Amazing instrumentalist but never could write songs.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 5, 2020 23:30

Johnny Winter And .. Live is one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Still Alive & Well was also incredible.

His performance of Dylans "Highway 61" at the 30th anniversary Dylan concert literally blew every else off the stage that night

Wow, he was good

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 6, 2020 16:27

I didn't realize what a great guitar player he was until I heard a bootleg of him from the 1970s.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 6, 2020 16:29

Winter comes to Vegas 1977. Johnny and Edgar. I've never been so sick in all my life.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 6, 2020 16:51

Thanks for your invaluable input, tumbled.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:00

you're welcome

Date: May 7, 2020 00:05

bob r

His performance of Dylans "Highway 61" at the 30th anniversary Dylan concert literally blew every else off the stage that night

Wow, he was good

If you like those live albums you should checkout Johnny Winter And " Live at the Fillmore East" This is the full concert where several of the original JW And live album songs come from. In particular it has the complete version of " Mean Town Blues' which has about 6 minutes edited out on the original album.

This CD is OOP print now I think for you need to search to get it at a reasonable price.

Also highly recommend the Johnny Winter at Woodstock album. Great SQ and performance.

Date: May 7, 2020 10:49

oldschool
bob r

Wow, he was good

If you like those live albums you should checkout Johnny Winter And " Live at the Fillmore East" This is the full concert where several of the original JW And live album songs come from. In particular it has the complete version of " Mean Town Blues' which has about 6 minutes edited out on the original album.

This CD is OOP print now I think for you need to search to get it at a reasonable price.

Also highly recommend the Johnny Winter at Woodstock album. Great SQ and performance.

Thanks for this information. I didn't know that. Is there a complete version of Captured Live, too? This is my all time live favorite.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:21

RobertJohnson
oldschool
bob r

Wow, he was good

Thanks for this information. I didn't know that. Is there a complete version of Captured Live, too? This is my all-time live favorite.

The original Johnny Winter And Live album was made up of tracks from three concerts. I am not sure which tracks came from which but JJF must be from Pirates World as it is not in the Fillmore Setlist.

1. Fillmore East 10/3/70
2. Pirates World, Dania Fla. 1/1/71 and 1/2/71

[rocktourdatabase.com]

[rocktourdatabase.com]

Here is the Fillmore East album. Grab one while you can as it is now OOP and prices are going up.

[www.discogs.com]

Just checked the track times and "Mean Town Blues" on the original album is 9 minutes long and on the Fillmore album it is just over 18 minutes so they cut out 9 minutes on the original album cut. Same with "It's My Own Fault" where the Fillmore release is 10 minutes longer (22minutes vs. 12minutes) then the "And Live" album.

I have read interviews with Johnny where he stated the Johnny Winter And Live album was his least favorite as he felt Derringer stepped on his playing and that they did not mesh well.

Not sure any of the concerts that make up Captured Alive were ever released officially. There may be bootlegs available though.

Here are the dates that make up that album according to WIKI

September 14, 1975, at Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA
September 18, 1975 at Sports Arena, San Diego, CA
September 20, 1975 at Coliseum, Oakland, CA

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 16:52 by oldschool.

Date: May 7, 2020 17:10

"Just checked the track times and "Mean Town Blues" on the original album is 9 minutes long and on the Fillmore album it is just over 18 minutes so they cut out 9 minutes on the original album cut."

- yup:

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 7, 2020 19:31

Reading what I have here reinforces my somewhat negative feelings about Johnny Winter's recorded output. Frankly I do not particularly love extended soloing, particularly harsh guitar solos. I much prefer ensemble playing to ego stroking guitar workouts. That's what I liked about the album Second Winter so much, it sounds like a BAND on most tracks, not a bunch of musicians backing a superstar soloing guitar god. Seems Johnny was not much of an ensemble player, preferring to be the only star on stage and not really giving anyone a chance to do anything other than provide backup for his guitar thrashing. The couple times I saw Winter I thought the same thing: why doesn't he blend into the background more and do some real SONGS and not just this harsh guitar playing? And it seems from what I read here and elsewhere, I was not alone in that thought. I think it was to his detriment but I guess his ego led him there and kept him there. Its a shame he never really worked in a band (early years excepted), he would have been much more interesting a player in my mind if he had.

jb

Date: May 7, 2020 20:26

jbwelda
Reading what I have here reinforces my somewhat negative feelings about Johnny Winter's recorded output. Frankly I do not particularly love extended soloing, particularly harsh guitar solos. I much prefer ensemble playing to ego stroking guitar workouts. That's what I liked about the album Second Winter so much, it sounds like a BAND on most tracks, not a bunch of musicians backing a superstar soloing guitar god. Seems Johnny was not much of an ensemble player, preferring to be the only star on stage and not really giving anyone a chance to do anything other than provide backup for his guitar thrashing. The couple times I saw Winter I thought the same thing: why doesn't he blend into the background more and do some real SONGS and not just this harsh guitar playing? And it seems from what I read here and elsewhere, I was not alone in that thought. I think it was to his detriment but I guess his ego led him there and kept him there. Its a shame he never really worked in a band (early years excepted), he would have been much more interesting a player in my mind if he had.

jb

Sounds like JW is just not your cup of tea if you were expecting him to just blend into a band format and play short structured songs.

The reason some of us like JW is because he plays long extended jams and is the star of the show. I appreciate it when he has a talented backing band but I used to go to his concerts to see Johnny show his flash not to see his backup band.

Same with someone like Jeff Beck. I want to see him stretch out and show me his chops not to hear him be a faceless member of a band. He is the star of the show for me. You find it boring where I find that the main attraction. YMMV and too each his own.

Date: May 7, 2020 21:25

oldschool
RobertJohnson
oldschool
bob r

Wow, he was good

Thanks for this information. I didn't know that. Is there a complete version of Captured Live, too? This is my all-time live favorite.

The original Johnny Winter And Live album was made up of tracks from three concerts. I am not sure which tracks came from which but JJF must be from Pirates World as it is not in the Fillmore Setlist.

1. Fillmore East 10/3/70
2. Pirates World, Dania Fla. 1/1/71 and 1/2/71

[rocktourdatabase.com]

[rocktourdatabase.com]

Here is the Fillmore East album. Grab one while you can as it is now OOP and prices are going up.

[www.discogs.com]

Just checked the track times and "Mean Town Blues" on the original album is 9 minutes long and on the Fillmore album it is just over 18 minutes so they cut out 9 minutes on the original album cut. Same with "It's My Own Fault" where the Fillmore release is 10 minutes longer (22minutes vs. 12minutes) then the "And Live" album.

I have read interviews with Johnny where he stated the Johnny Winter And Live album was his least favorite as he felt Derringer stepped on his playing and that they did not mesh well.

Not sure any of the concerts that make up Captured Alive were ever released officially. There may be bootlegs available though.

Here are the dates that make up that album according to WIKI

September 14, 1975, at Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA
September 18, 1975 at Sports Arena, San Diego, CA
September 20, 1975 at Coliseum, Oakland, CA

Thank you very much for this detailed information, TW

Date: May 7, 2020 21:33

Hard to believe these two songs are the only videos of the "Johnny Winter And" line-up. Damn, that Rollin & Tumblin rocked... Paris, june 1970:

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 7, 2020 21:35

To further add to this dialogue JW is a virtuoso Guitarist where his instrument is the star of the show and the main attraction . Don't believe me Google Muddy Waters . The tired and old mantra of Too many notes ! Jeez , when you have a virtuoso like a Yo Yo Ma on the Cello , do you tell him to blend in with the Orchestra or do you have him front and center next to the conductor leading the orchestra and playing ensemble to the virtuoso ? Some people don't understand this and I know some myself who don't get this either . The virtuoso has a talent that is heads and tails above most others and his instrument like a Luciano Pavarotti voice is the star attraction . It doesn't matter if it's a Violin , a cello, a piano , a saxophone (David Sanborn ask him to sit in the back ) or a 6 string guitar has a voice that makes the most beautiful and melodic and soulful voice that people find appealing and want to hear it highlighted and played front and center and showcased for the delight of the masses .

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 8, 2020 00:31

The drummer ruins this, in my opinion, but this was Johnny's debut with Mike Bloomfield. He was signed with Columbia shortly afterwards:

Posted by: RMNice1958 ()
Date: May 8, 2020 01:01

Virtuoso is right. I can’t count the hours I spent playing air guitar to Captured Live which in my opinion is one of the greatest live albums of all time. I’m a live album fanatic and love every live album the Stones have ever done - they are a moment in time.

Date: May 8, 2020 01:03

Rare footage of the Captured Live line-up!

Date: May 8, 2020 02:56

I guess if the criteria is whether you can play "air guitar" to it, then I am hopelessly outclassed. Bores me to tears to tell you the truth.

jb

Date: May 8, 2020 03:17

jbwelda
I guess if the criteria is whether you can play "air guitar" to it, then I am hopelessly outclassed. Bores me to tears to tell you the truth.

jb

No worries jb everyone has different tastes and there is no right or wrong answer here.

You find JW's playing boring while others, including myself, find it amazing. I respect your opinion but we will have to agree to disagree. To each his own smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2020 03:29

From 1983 - Johnny and Dr. John jamming and chatting away...
Description under video:

In Session complete
from an old VHS tape In Session -
A local Canadian TV show.
CHCH-TV out of Hamilton, Ontario. Canada,

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 8, 2020 03:38

Have the Stones and Johnny ever met?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 9, 2020 05:46

Saw Johnny & Edgar at the Beacon theatre 1974. Not a concert-was musical opening nite- "sgt.pepper club band on the road". John Lennon was involved in this.They were just standing in the lobby having drinks. Lots of people there. Had 2nd row seats-they sat right in front of us! Said hi to them. Looked back to my left about 5 rows back Lennon sitting there with mae pang!! Wild nite. A rowdy bette midler sat next to me. as for the show itself-just so-so. The other show was so much better!!

Date: May 9, 2020 17:04

rollmops
Have the Stones and Johnny ever met?
Rockandroll,
Mops

I don't know. But I think so. Silver Train was allegedly written for Johnny Winter by Keith and Mick. Johnny released it before it appears on GHS.

Date: May 9, 2020 18:24

Yes oldschool I agree with you on that. And its not that I really dislike his playing; I just think he could have sold more records if he had less of a soloist mentality and more of a group player one. But I wasn't part of his "damagement" team so it doesn't really matter. I think that about a lot of artists and at some point I believe someone like Eric Clapton agreed with my sentiments.

jb

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home