Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Johnny Winter
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 2, 2020 09:24

Spring 1970. Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. I had moved down south from the Midwest. Johnny Winter came out in an iridescent blue shirt, a Gibson Firebird slung slow low off his shoulder. He walked up to the mike and asked, "Ya'll ready to hear some blues?" And we were off. Incredible.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 2, 2020 14:24

As I said on the first page... all those who saw him in his 1969-1994 period were very fortunate indeed...

Posted by: RMNice1958 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:44

A fan since I was 15. Finally got to see him twice in the two years before he died. Even though he sat down for both shows he was still brilliant and worth the 40 year wait.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:59

Mick has recorded with Jeff Beck , Peter Frampton, Leslie West ,Joe Satriani, Clapton, Jimmy Page,Edge, Muddy Waters,Yoko Ono and others, but never recorded or played a live gig with Johnny .Too bad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 20:00 by Taylor1.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2020 20:22

His show in Essen, Grugahalle, in April 79 is a legend. There was an europe wide broadcast in television (WDR Rockpalast). Johnny came on stage at 2 o'clock in the morning. With him on bass Jon Paris, on drums Bobby Torello. The band quitted the stage at 5.30 after a firework of Rock and Blues (Diving Duck, Messing with the Kid, Mississippi Blues, Suzie Q). The auditorium was bewitched. One of the best versions of JJF sent them home in the morning sun ...

Posted by: peipin ()
Date: May 3, 2020 19:27

Missippi brownWhere am I ???
All in front for his return of 79 JJF

Date: May 3, 2020 19:28

Where am I ???
All in front for his return of 79

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 3, 2020 19:31

[www.youtube.com]

Johnny Winter Jumpin' Jack Flash 1979 Paris

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 3, 2020 23:46

His appearance with Edgar Winter band in Roadwork album is brilliant

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: May 4, 2020 19:19

I saw him in '76 (w/ Steve Marriott), '81? (w/ Muddy Waters & James Cotton), '93 (in a tiny club in Springfield, VA) and '08(?)...last time he was sitting down...four decades! There is only ONE other band I can say that about!!!

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 4, 2020 19:35

tatters
Palace Revolution 2000

I will be in the minority here but Johnny Winter has never done anything for me.

Me neither. While I have tremendous respect for the albums he managed to coax out of Muddy Waters during the last years of Muddy's life, I walked out on JW when I saw him play an intimate club date in the early 80s. In fact, I think I may actually have left while he was playing JJF. I found his sound to be extremely harsh and overly amplified. I just wasn't enjoying it. I know it wasn't a fluke because I had the same reaction when I saw him several years later at a big John Lee Hooker tribute concert at Madison Square Garden.

"I found his sound to be extremely harsh and overly amplified," perfectly expresses my reaction to his music as well. One of my best friends is a huge fan, so I have been exposed to his music quite a bit over the years, and I saw him live a couple of times as well, but it's just not for me I guess.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 4, 2020 22:07

video: [www.youtube.com] Johnny B. Good Does it for me.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 4, 2020 22:15

Someone finally uploaded a full 14 min. version of BB King & Johnny Winter on a TV show in 1983. Some nice words were spoken, some nice licks were shared:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-04 22:47 by Milan.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2020 22:38

Been listening to a lot of Johnny Winter lately, thanks to this thread. Including some stuff I have never heard. Great man, great stuff - had forgotten how great and unique he actually was. Thank you, people!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 5, 2020 01:47

Well I have been thinking about ordering Muddy Waters' Hard Again, and your comments above made me pull the trigger.

I believe one of the very first appearances of Johnny Winter on an LP was when he was invited to guest with Mike Bloomfield and friends on their second super session LP, recorded live at the Fillmore East. At least that's the way it sounds listening to Bloomfield introduce him.

This was on the Lost Fillmore Tapes from 12/13/68. Its listed under Al Kooper & Mike Bloomfield but he continually refers to it as a second Super Session. Some good stuff on there including Winter's jamming, but he does sound pretty characteristically harsh and fast. And Bloomfield's intro is pretty funny too. But Bloomfield's playing is fantastic, smooth and melodic for the most part.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2020 04:11

Looks like a young Johnny on bass backing George Jones in 1962 to me, but the verdict is still out on this one...
From The Steel Guitar Forum > Johnny and George?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2020 04:21

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2020 04:46

Johnny and The Jammers ..... early 60's ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2020 05:13

One of Johnny's first singles with the Jammers from 1959 (or maybe '60?) which would make him only 15 and Edgar 13 - School Day Blues - nifty little solo starts at 1:03:

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2020 07:36

I'm a big Johnny Winter fan. I would guess the reason why Johnny didn't make it as "big" as he deserved to is because of his singing and songwriting, combined with that he was too much of an ego, musicianwise, to be a part of a band. Same thing could have happened to Eric Clapton, but fortunately, he kept his head above the water, even in his drunken days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 08:37 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 5, 2020 07:46

Up until recently, I believed this song was sung by Johnny Winter with Allman Brothers.smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 5, 2020 08:03

....btw, when it comes to Jumpin' Jack Flash, I think the best cover-version is Leon Russell's ones, from the early 70s

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 5, 2020 08:29

Rockman

Johnny and The Jammers ..... early 60's ...

The poor camera is freaked out, wondering what to with two albinos.

Date: May 5, 2020 08:33

Johnny & The Jammers circa 1960 .....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2020 08:49

Johnny should got himself an Auto-Pen ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2020 09:00

Thanks Rockman,

do you also rememeber the video where Johnny talked about his "then" manager who talked him out of being a part of the Woodstock movie?

Worst career move of his life, Johnny said.

Date: May 5, 2020 09:05

Hi Erik ..... no cant recall that interview ...
.... Most likely be on the Tube somewhere .....

Stay Safe

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2020 09:09

I don't recall a video, but here's an interview from Rock Cellar Magazine that compiled interviews with several other bands/musicians, etc. for a 50th anniversary special published last year.

Woodtsock 69

Rock Cellar: You played the Woodstock Festival in 1969; did you have sense of the importance of the event itself?

Johnny Winter: Not really, not until we were flying in by helicopter and saw all the people. That’s when we realized it was gonna be something huge.

Rock Cellar: Were you nervous?

Johnny Winter: Nah, I never get nervous.

Rock Cellar: Why not?

Johnny Winter: I just don’t. I like to play; it doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve always enjoyed playing; I never get nervous playing a show no matter how many thousands of people are in the audience.

Rock Cellar: You don’t appear in the Woodstock film, why?

Johnny Winter: My manager didn’t think it was good idea. He said the festival didn’t make any money and the film probably wouldn’t either. He always said it was the biggest mistake he ever made. He admitted it to me.

Rock Cellar: Do you regret you weren’t in the film?

Johnny Winter: Sure I do. Oh yeah … I was very happy with the way we played; it would have been great to have been included in the film. I remember that I was asleep in the press tent using a bag of garbage for a pillow. We just wandered out there to see what was going on and they said, “Well, you guys are all here so why don’t you play?” I’d just woken up and I’m surprised we played so good. (laughs) I didn’t get to see anyone else play at Woodstock; it was hard to get a helicopter out so we left as soon as we got finished playing our set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 09:11 by Hairball.

Date: May 5, 2020 09:13

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2020 09:14

Thanks Hairball and Rockman,
Johnny was one of the of the only artist (together with Jimi Hendrix?) to be paid by playing at Woodstock, a couple of 1000s dollars. And Johnny was absolutely fantastic there. Unlike Hendrix, apart from a couple of tunes, "Star Sprangled Banner" being one of them.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home