Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii stream
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 24, 2020 19:07

Streaming now

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii stream
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:39

I wonder if they left the interview with Gilmour that they changed to black & white because he was so stoned his eyes were bleeding. i kid i kid! haha

Date: April 25, 2020 01:51

My older brother took me to see this movie in a theatre whenever it was. I was still pretty young.

I just remember being shocked at the special effects.

Since the DVD is still around and we are all on lockdown I think I'll crank it up tonight.

There will never be another Pink Floyd. Some of the things they did such as dry ice, crashing airplane, flying pigs, building a wall, pyrotechnics paved the way for many of today's concerts.

Oh, can't forget the mirrored ball.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 25, 2020 02:56

To say nothing of the sonic innovations.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2020 04:07

I recall seeing this in a movie theater in the mid-late '70's stoned as hell....probably at the Nuart in West L.A. which used to show lots of rock movies late at night on weekends aka "midnight specials". I've seen many times since then, and pretty sure it was a staple on the Z cable channel on tv (similar to the old HBO) where you could watch movies repeatedly along with various pay-per-views. My friend worked for Z Channel in the late '70s/early '80s, and he hooked up all the tvs in our house for free (and illegally smiling smiley ) - I vividly recall him climbing up the telephone pole behind our house with all his equipment and doing the deed...and voila...free cable tv!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 04:08 by Hairball.

Date: April 25, 2020 04:44

Quadrophonic sound Dark Side of the Moon!

Date: April 25, 2020 05:15

Speaking of older brothers georgemcdonnell314, and forgive me if I've told this one before haha (yes I know I have), but it was my older brother who took me to see Pink Floyd in concert twice in 1980 performing The Wall at the L.A. Sports Arena when I was 17 yrs. old. I think chrolmstrom and daspyknows also attended one of those shows somewhere during that tour which only played in a few cities with multiple night stands (L.A., New York, London, Dortmund). Mind bending quadrophonic sound with the plane crashing, the insane animation, the massive puppets, the building of the wall throughout the show (with the band "in perfect isolation"), and finally the wall itself rumbling, exploding, and crumbling into smithereens. Still stands amongst the best - if not the best - all around sensory overload experiences I've ever witnessed....thanks to my older brother.thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 23:17

ive been listening to pink floyd a lot recently, the pompeii gig was awesome, but my favourite pink floyd moments are the live versions of interstellar overdrive, no one can touch them as far as that genre of music is concerned.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:39

spikenyc
Streaming now

[www.youtube.com]

Ohhhh, noooo, it isn't!!

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: April 27, 2020 10:34

Hairball...thanks for the mention of the Nuart...we would dose and then go to Century City to see Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones at The Plitt Theater and then head over to Westwood to see the midnight showing of Pompeii...some fun! And then stop on the way home back to the Eastside at Tommy's on Rampart for greasy cheeseburgers at 2:30 in the morning...

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 27, 2020 10:56

rovalle
And then stop on the way home back to the Eastside at Tommy's on Rampart for greasy cheeseburgers at 2:30 in the morning...

Oh man, those double chili cheeseburgers at 2:30 in the morning!
The smell stayed on your fingers for days.

Date: April 27, 2020 13:31

ChrisL
rovalle
And then stop on the way home back to the Eastside at Tommy's on Rampart for greasy cheeseburgers at 2:30 in the morning...

& chili fries! I was going to Pepperdine & we'd occasionally venture to west la/santa monica zone for midnight rock films. tommy's in santa monica was a must!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 27, 2020 15:01

I first saw it in 1978 as part of a midnight double feature picture show. The other film was Yessongs. Yes fans were surprised that most of the audience was there to see the Floyd movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 15:04 by tatters.

Date: April 27, 2020 15:46

crholmstrom
ChrisL
rovalle

& chili fries! I was going to Pepperdine & we'd occasionally venture to west la/santa monica zone for midnight rock films. tommy's in santa monica was a must!

I was at USC and it was always a hangover-inducing night if you ended up at Tommy's.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 27, 2020 16:57

This is a nice, tight version of the movie without the interviews or cutaways to the studio. Shaves of nearly a half hour and it's much more enjoyable.

It's interesting because after this Floyd essentially created in anonymity. No album photos, blurry presence when performing live. For a lot of people this movie shows them the band for perhaps the first time.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: April 27, 2020 23:44

I still think the best Pompeii version is the original cut from 1972 without the added banter and studio work. Also these new pictures and film clips and animations are horrible.

Date: April 27, 2020 23:47

crholmstrom
ChrisL
rovalle

There was also a Tommys on the westside right across from the Santa Monica Civic near the beach and Santa Monica High School late '70's/early '80s.
As students, at lunch time we'd go to the beach, smoke a joint, get the munchies, go to Tommys, pig out, go into a food coma, and alot of times never make it back afternoon to classes....smiling smiley
There was also Tops Pastrami nearby on Lincoln and Pico which also had some good grub, but they tore that down and coincidentally replaced it with another Tommys after the one by the Civic was closed.
Unfortunately it's a damn Starbucks now I think, but there's still Tommys burgers around SoCal (one a few miles from me), and the hefty/goopy chili is as greasy as ever lol. Original Tommy's
Talk about guilty pleasures, the double chili cheeseburger......once a year maybe!

And a special order of chili fries just for you crholmstrom......but be sure you have some alka seltzer...grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 23:48 by Hairball.

Date: April 28, 2020 00:55

Hairball
crholmstrom
ChrisL
rovalle

There was also a Tommys on the westside right across from the Santa Monica Civic near the beach and Santa Monica High School late '70's/early '80s.
As students, at lunch time we'd go to the beach, smoke a joint, get the munchies, go to Tommys, pig out, go into a food coma, and alot of times never make it back afternoon to classes....smiling smiley
There was also Tops Pastrami nearby on Lincoln and Pico which also had some good grub, but they tore that down and coincidentally replaced it with another Tommys after the one by the Civic was closed.
Unfortunately it's a damn Starbucks now I think, but there's still Tommys burgers around SoCal (one a few miles from me), and the hefty/goopy chili is as greasy as ever lol. Original Tommy's
Talk about guilty pleasures, the double chili cheeseburger......once a year maybe!

And a special order of chili fries just for you crholmstrom......but be sure you have some alka seltzer...grinning smiley

I think the one I used to go to was the one near the high school. It was near PCH, the road back to Malibu. Correct me if I'm wrong. I lived down there for about 2 years in early 80s. Good stuff! We used to go to a deep dish pizza place that was awesome in Westwood too. I'm forgetting the name but it was a small chain. Both were good eating!

Date: April 28, 2020 01:13

Yeah several blocks away from the PCH , but not on the PCH itself
Not sure which pizza chain you're referring to though...there was a Wildflour Pizza in that area near the Civic, but I think it's closed now and not sure if it ever was a chain.
Moved away from Santa Monica 30 years ago apprx. 60 miles north, but have some cousins who still live there, and whenever I visit it seems more crowded, more expensive, and almost everything changed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-28 01:13 by Hairball.

Date: April 28, 2020 01:45

Hairball
Not sure which pizza chain you're referring to though...there was a Wildflour Pizza in that area near the Civic, but I think it's closed now and not sure if it ever was a chain.
Moved away from Santa Monica 30 years ago apprx. 60 miles north, but have some cousins who still live there, and whenever I visit it seems more crowded, more expensive, and almost everything changed...

Numero Uno was the pizza place I was thinking about. Yeah, Tommy's was on the way to PCH after whatever entertainment had been going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-28 01:50 by crholmstrom.

Date: April 28, 2020 12:23

crholmstrom
Hairball

Numero Uno was the pizza place I was thinking about. Yeah, Tommy's was on the way to PCH after whatever entertainment had been going on.

Was it Numero Uno that always had the jar of chili flakes and jar of grated cheese at every table?
I loved that.

Date: April 28, 2020 12:35

ChrisL
crholmstrom
Hairball

Was it Numero Uno that always had the jar of chili flakes and jar of grated cheese at every table?
I loved that.

Yes. They had very good pizza back then (very early 1980s). I don't know how they are now as I haven't been to California in several years.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 28, 2020 12:40

Single Malt
I still think the best Pompeii version is the original cut from 1972 without the added banter and studio work. Also these new pictures and film clips and animations are horrible.

Exactly.

Date: April 28, 2020 13:00

crholmstrom
ChrisL
crholmstrom
Hairball

I loved that.

Yes. They had very good pizza back then (very early 1980s). I don't know how they are now as I haven't been to California in several years.

I was there in the late 80s-early 90s and I loved it. But same with me, I have only been back a couple of times since then. Last time was 2013 for the Stones tour opener.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home