Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:35

After 18 pages I guess everything has been said by now. I’ll join the people who were saying “I like it!”

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:36

Elements of UNDERCOVER!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:36

Deathgod, I'm chiming in here to thank you.

I like it, yeah, they may have been writing on a premonition, an intuition. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 07:15 by angee.

Date: April 24, 2020 04:40

Javadave
Well done, Stones. Like the groove, and the video is sharp. A silver lining of these effed up times is that artists are being motivated to create something new. Would love to see more of this both from the glimmers and their contemporaries.

It does seem odd that Chuck Leavell wasn’t involved as he is the band’s musical director. Guess he was off doing something else and Matt covered the keyboard parts.

Cool that we heard of it here first. Much respect to Deathgod.

Keep it up, boys!

You're way ahead of yourself - this track has nothing to do with COVID-19. It just happens to be relevant.

Date: April 24, 2020 04:42

grzegorz67
It's a fine effort and very topical, enhanced by a few recent changes to the lyrics winking smiley
Great to see them making new music in the 58th year of their existence.

What changes? It was finished in 2019.

“It wasn’t written for now, but it was just one of those odd things,” he said. “It was written about being in a place which was full of life but is now bereft of life so to speak…I was just jamming on the guitar and wrote it really quickly in like 10 minutes.”

Mick Jagger

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:43

It's dawned on me that some of the background/chanting vocals of "Living In A Ghost Town" might have partially been inspired by this....

Love the new tune. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:45

The one bit of good Stones news in the middle of all this, however,
is that Jagger and Richards have plenty of extra time on their hands now.

“We’ve got another five or six tracks and there’s a lot of sort of soul
feel about it for some reason without anybody intending to,” Richards said. “Obviously right now we’ve got nothing else to do but write some more songs, right?”

ROCKMAN

Date: April 24, 2020 04:48

Hairball
Mick is way into it, while Ronnie is actively clowning around...meanwhile Keith is just there similar to the pre-recorded performance the other night.
But again , that's just my opinion and it's not a big deal! Enjoy the tune for crying out loud!!! It's a goddamn Ghost Town!!!

YCAGWYW was pre-recorded in 1968 and 1969 yet alone on various live albums.

Are you implying that they were miming to a NEW recording? It is pretty interesting that curtains and a couch sound like parts of a drum set yet alone whatever it was Charlie was looking like he was playing while on LSD.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:50

Awesome groove and Jagger’s voice sounds great.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:52

GasLightStreet
grzegorz67
It's a fine effort and very topical, enhanced by a few recent changes to the lyrics winking smiley

“It wasn’t written for now, but it was just one of those odd things,” he said. “It was written about being in a place which was full of life but is now bereft of life so to speak…I was just jamming on the guitar and wrote it really quickly in like 10 minutes.”

Mick Jagger

[www.rollingstone.com]

Starts talking about the changes around the 1:00 minute mark.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2020 04:58

Rockman
The one bit of good Stones news in the middle of all this, however,
is that Jagger and Richards have plenty of extra time on their hands now.

“We’ve got another five or six tracks and there’s a lot of sort of soul
feel about it for some reason without anybody intending to,” Richards said. “Obviously right now we’ve got nothing else to do but write some more songs, right?”

Yes, that's the good news Rockman - that, and the fact they rleased a new song of course.
But this is what as Mick had to say about releasing more new music:

"we've been recording, and we've got some really good stuff...but, I mean...don't hold your breath".

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe we'll see some more sooner than later (hope so), but in the meantime feeling lucky to have anything. That said, it does leave me wanting more...like in the days of old when artists would release FULL albums.
But seems like alot of 'em are putting out single tunes here and there, and the Stones have been known to release just a few at a time tacked on to compilations...so whatever, good to have at least one...
Maybe Keith will get antsy and inspired to release some new solo material...

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:01

It's a decent song but the highlight for me is when Clifford comes in with the Fm6 chord during the bridge, sounds fantastic.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:03

Well, Gas Light Street, they at least went and reworked it and changed a few lines, but I was getting more at the releasing of unheard material, as Dylan has already been doing. All this time away from the limelight and self-isolated is bearing some interesting results. Neil Young and John Fogerty have released new efforts recorded in seclusion, and Jorma Kaukonen has given us three consecutive (and counting) weeks of full live performances. Would like to hear more of this from the likes of Pete Townshend, Ray Davies and Van Morrison, to name a few.

Date: April 24, 2020 05:05

MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
grzegorz67

Mick Jagger

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Have to take what he says with a few grains of tequila salt. Knowing how the Stones work, there's no way he recorded new vocals within the past few weeks and they got it done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 05:07 by GasLightStreet.

Date: April 24, 2020 05:08

Such a bland cover!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:18

Listening to this in the dark, in isolation, is surreal. For some reason, this song captures the experience of these past few weeks perfectly. Part of the experience was cancelling a bunch of tickets, so this goes some way to healing those wounds. Going to keep it playing for a while. Whisky also helps. Thanks lads.

Date: April 24, 2020 05:30

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
[www.youtube.com]

Have to take what he says with a few grains of tequila salt. Knowing how the Stones work, there's no way he recorded new vocals within the past few weeks and they got it done.

He literally says he made some changes in a few interviews.
You can literally see him in isolation mode singing the revised lyrics off of an iPad,
But yeah, grain of salt.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:35

Elements of Mr. D., but better

Date: April 24, 2020 05:38

In making comparisons, my first thought when I heard it was that it had a Black & Blue feel about it.
Played the video for my wife when she got home, and her first thoughts where that it reminded her of the Super Heavy- Miracle Worker sound and video.
Kinda does, with the street scenes and reggae vibe.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:57

Well there they are ... in the studio 'TOGETHER' .. and that was before the tour was canceled.

Definitely fresh .. but not sure I'm too crazy about it.

Don't kill me everyone Lol

Date: April 24, 2020 05:59

Living in A Ghost town - INSTANT CLASSIC!

Thanks to everyone on this thread who posted the video, interview links, lyrics, and opinions.

This song is released at the perfect time when everyone is feeling the isolation and longing for the times when life was so beautiful. Its a @#$%& sad song but I love it. Nobody saw it coming. We expect a new full album, but releasing singles may be the new way to go for the boys.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 06:20

The little bit of reggae starting at 2:53 reminds of "Feel On Baby" from UNDERCOVER. I really like this song a lot. 24 hours ago we didn't have a clue about a new Stones song and now we have one. Just think about this; The Rolling Stones released their first single in June 1963 and just released another single in April 2020.....

ALMOST 60 YEARS!!!!!!!! INSANE!!!!!!!!! cool smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 24, 2020 06:34

MisterDDDD
In making comparisons, my first thought when I heard it was that it had a Black & Blue feel about it.
Played the video for my wife when she got home, and her first thoughts where that it reminded her of the Super Heavy- Miracle Worker sound and video.
Kinda does, with the street scenes and reggae vibe.

I was waiting for someone else to say it. All the Mick output during the decade has some of that feel

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: April 24, 2020 07:01

I listened to the song again on my dads car.

It sounded better than the firs time i head it. The song is quiet, but good.

I love this band. 58 @#$%& years and still rolling.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 24, 2020 07:06

Aquamarine
After 18 pages I guess everything has been said by now. I’ll join the people who were saying “I like it!”

Yeah, we can close the thread!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 24, 2020 07:40

peoplewitheyes
My brother mentioned that, lyrically, it bears a resemblance to Rocks by Primal Scream... Oh the irony!

The article about this song is now the most commented piece in today's Guardian - a lot of it predictably uncomplimentary from people who haven't bothered to listen, but also lots of commenters accusing the Stones of copying bands who started out by copying ... the Stones.
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: April 24, 2020 07:54

Last night I played "LSTNT" after seeing the end of a doco about Hal Ashby, so i throw it in the player, sat back and watched.

I think it's a great movie, and it kicked me in too Stones Mode, so to have this arrive today, i'm just buzzing, it's friday afternoon here, and it's about to become a Stones Evening

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 24, 2020 08:09

24FPS
Beast
24FPS
Good song. Reminiscent of the Specials' Ghost Town. Did they mean to? Sorry if someone already noticed it.

Yes, I expressed exactly the same sentiments earlier. At least it's not just me, then!

Sorry to repeat you. It was already 14 pages in and I just heard the song.

Me too.

Date: April 24, 2020 09:08

GasLightStreet
grzegorz67

Mick Jagger

[www.rollingstone.com]

Mick rewrote the lyrics in isolation.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 24, 2020 09:25

@georgelicks any words on Sales / rankings etc so far?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home