Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768Next
Current Page: 66 of 68
Re: Track Talk: Living In A Ghost Town
Date: March 17, 2023 10:12

It's funny that this Angelslang-dude thinks he has the copyright on Am/Dm/E7 smiling smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 17, 2023 22:51

I don't know if it's already been posted, but it's interesting.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 17, 2023 23:12

Testify
[www.youtube.com]

Just listen to the song I'm not sure who is coping who

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 18, 2023 15:00

NICOS
Testify
[www.youtube.com]

Personally, I'm not able to tell if something has been copied just by listening.
There's a lot of music out there that looks alike, but isn't copyright infringement.
It's just funny that in the lawsuit, it refers to the chord progression, which is just ridiculous, because if there was copyright on the chord progression, then 99% of the music was copyright infringed.
If they get to the trial we'll see how it will end... of course this group refers a lot to RS in the style of their music, but they are not the only ones.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 18, 2023 15:22

A mildly successfully stunt to generate headlines and YouTube clicks.

Nothing more.

Pure garbage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2023 15:21

MelBelli
A mildly successfully stunt to generate headlines and YouTube clicks.

Nothing more.

Pure garbage.

Well when they lose and they will, the court costs and legal costs which will be awarded against them will be a deterrent for future publicity seekers.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2023 20:03

The credits on any future releases of Living in a Ghost Town could possibly read Jagger/Richards/Angleslang.

Dammit!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 20, 2023 08:22

BREAKING NEWS: The Rolling Stones sued by the Rolling Stones for stealing from Brown Sugar

NYC
March 17, 2023

Mick Jagger is not here. In fact, no one knows where any of The Rolling Stones are at the moment - but they're being sued for ripping themselves off.

When asked about it in London, lead vocalist Mick Jagger said, "Wot? Whut you mean?".

Sad Sad Sad.

"Whut?" Jagger implored.

It's Brown Sugar backwards.

"Oh hodgepodge. It's 'inverted', not backwards.' They're nothing alike. The Rolling Stones will come out victorious against the Rolling Stones".

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 20, 2023 12:10

GasLightStreet

The Rolling Stones sued by the Rolling Stones

Yeah: for copying themselves and recycling of riffs in several cases, e.g. 1972 'Soul Survivor' -> 1983 'It Must Be Hell' and some more - [iorr.org] . winking smiley

Date: March 20, 2023 19:31

Irix
GasLightStreet

The Rolling Stones sued by the Rolling Stones

Yeah: for copying themselves and recycling of riffs in several cases, e.g. 1972 'Soul Survivor' -> 1983 'It Must Be Hell' and some more - [iorr.org] . winking smiley

Ha ha. I just looked at that link and was reminded of a couple of things and, aside from what I was giggling at, there was my comment about Sad Sad Sad being an inverted Brown Sugar.

A few years ago I made some Rolling Stone-esque mock interviews up based on the Stones using a time machine to do tours for IORR, TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE, ER, SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and REWIND (and possibly DW), with, of course, Mick's hilarious point of view about making money and no it won't hurt sales of the other tours because no one knows about it at the actual time... Keith with his usual meandering and Ronnie's fiction and taking actual quotes and modifying them so it all sounded completely true.

I think I posted them and BV got mad at me about it. I was just providing some humor.

Date: March 20, 2023 19:40

Testify
NICOS
Testify
[www.youtube.com]

Personally, I'm not able to tell if something has been copied just by listening.
There's a lot of music out there that looks alike, but isn't copyright infringement.
It's just funny that in the lawsuit, it refers to the chord progression, which is just ridiculous, because if there was copyright on the chord progression, then 99% of the music was copyright infringed.
If they get to the trial we'll see how it will end... of course this group refers a lot to RS in the style of their music, but they are not the only ones.

A good exception was Schocking Blue's Venus. Funny it never came to a lawsuit, at least in my opinion.

Date: March 20, 2023 20:07

This is hilarious. Sure it sounds similar but I find it bizarre that Mick would hear something and make something sound like someone else's song practically exactly on purpose in the information age.

Date: March 20, 2023 23:32

GasLightStreet
This is hilarious. Sure it sounds similar but I find it bizarre that Mick would hear something and make something sound like someone else's song practically exactly on purpose in the information age.

Jagger and reverb makes the difference to me. The rest is the way of record producing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-20 23:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 27, 2023 19:24

Doxa
That's what I wrote a year ago:

------------

So, after one year (plus one day, okay), this is how "Living In A Ghost Town" has done on Spotify:

The normal version: 25,1 million streams (#24 in their all-time chart)
The Alok version: 9,7 million streams (#60)

That's together: 34,8 million streams.

That will make it #20 most streamed Stones song of all-time. The studio version of "Tumbling Dice" has 42,5m (#18) and "Street Fighting Man" 32,1m (#19) but if we count their many live versions too (we speak in millions in both of them), the last-mentioned 'beats' "Ghost Town" still.

How do we interpret this? One could go and compare that to the streams of any big name catalogue artist (The Who, Dylan, Macca, Bruce, etc.) to see that there is not even close any individual new song from them being that popular. Actually, not even the streams of their whole albums are beating it (of the mentioned, only Bruce's album barely does that). Like I've said earlier, it is is unique that such a classic act with a heavy cataloque full of masterpieces is able to produce new music that makes people actually listen it like their old classics. Spotify is good indicator for that, giving us factual evidence. "Living I A Ghost Town" still - after a year - gets almost two millions streams a month. That something close to what "Brown Sugar", "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Honky Tonk Women" get per month, songs hitting top ten or close. What is also noteworthy is that the streams for "Ghost Town" weren't that exceptional when it was relaesed. There weren't any huge peak in first weeks that would have disappeared when the curiosity was satisfied, as it almost everytime happens when the old legendaric heroes release new stuff (something, for example, Paul McCartney surely has just noticed, no matter how much his new album is advertised and hailed by whatever means). No, by contrast, "Living In A Ghost Town") became a steady streamer.

However, we need to still point out that the very top is not even close. I happened to write down the five most streamed songs when "Ghost Town" was released (I did it April 30th, precisely), so that is how they've done during the last year:

1. Paint It Black 136m
2. Satisfaction 91m
3. Start Me Up 78m
4. Gimme Shelter 72m
5. Sympathy For The Devil 70m

I guess I stop closer following of streaming success for "Ghost Town" now, but let's see - if fate allows - how the numbers look like this time next year.

- Doxa

---------

Okay, back to this moment. It's been two years from the release of "Living In A Ghost Town". Let's see what has happened on Spotify since my last update a year ago.

The normal version: 37,3 million streams (#20)
The Alok Version: 12,8 million streams (#56)

Together: 50,1 million streams

This is to say that the normal version had 12,2m streams, and Alok 3,1m streams last year. That's together 15,3m streams. A clear drop from its first year, but still clearly over one million streams a month, which is good. It is still more than the two songs in front of the normal version in the all-time list: "Tumbling Dice" 10,4m (52,9m, #18),"Street Fighting Man" 7,1m (39,2m, #19).

Now, as I had the biggest streamers listed a year ago, now the top five has managed within a year:

1.Paint It Black 150m (136m a year before, a total: 708m, #1)
2.Satisfaction 100m (91m, 490m, #2))
3.Start Me Up 83m (78m, 407m, #5)
4.Sympathy For The Devil 77m (70m, 408m, #3)
5.Gimme Shelter 71m (72m, 408m, #4)

- Doxa

Okay, since now is three years when this song was released, just out of curiosity, let's see how it has managed on Spotify.

The normal version has now 44,0 million streams and is dropped to #21, as passed by "Anybody Seen My Baby?" (and soon by "Waiting On A Friend"). The Alok version has 14,4 million streams with the same chart position #56. So that's 58,4 million streams combined.

During the last year the normal version has had 7.1m streams, while the Alok one 1.6m. So the the song was streamed 8.7 million times during the year.

Here are the streams per yer:
1.Year: 34.8m
2.Year: 15.3m
3.Year: 8.7m

Since "Ghost Town" is a pure streaming era song, it gained a lot from its novel factor, but probably now its popularity starts to sound like it actually is compared to their pre-streaming era songs. It starts to be hard for it making Top 30.

Okay, just for fun, let'see how the big tunes have done last year:

1. Paint It Black 177m (+27m compared to a year before, a total: 885m, #1)
2. Satisfaction 95m (-5m, 585m, #2)
3. Start Me Up 90m (+7m, 497m, #3)
4. Gimme Shelter 84m (+13m, 492m, #4)
5. Sympathy For The Devil 75m (-2m, 483m, #5)

The status of "Paint It Black" as the clearly most listened/popular Stones song is just getting stronger. It might reach 1 billion streams still during this calendar year. Interesting is also that "Start Me Up" is pretty close now to "Satisfaction" as a number two.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-27 19:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 27, 2023 21:51

I think those are still some pretty strong numbers for Ghost!! Hope it's a bonus track on the Japanese version of the ghostly new album....

Date: April 27, 2023 23:23

VoodooLounge13
I think those are still some pretty strong numbers for Ghost!!

Yeah, actually they are. It still holds on well against many classic songs, and compared to whatever their recent releases it is in the class if its own. For example, the combained streams of El MOCAMBO are 6.7m. The best new TATTOO YOU tracks ("Trouble", "Living The Heart of Love") are a bit above 2m. GOATS HEAD SOUP singles are a bit more (all the versions of "Scarlet" put together might go pretty close its last year's stream number). It is nice to see a new song to do that well after its heyday.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-27 23:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 28, 2023 01:34

B-O-R-I-N-G- song...

Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Date: April 28, 2023 06:49

Doxa
Doxa
That's what I wrote a year ago:

------------

So, after one year (plus one day, okay), this is how "Living In A Ghost Town" has done on Spotify:

The normal version: 25,1 million streams (#24 in their all-time chart)
The Alok version: 9,7 million streams (#60)

That's together: 34,8 million streams.

That will make it #20 most streamed Stones song of all-time. The studio version of "Tumbling Dice" has 42,5m (#18) and "Street Fighting Man" 32,1m (#19) but if we count their many live versions too (we speak in millions in both of them), the last-mentioned 'beats' "Ghost Town" still.

How do we interpret this? One could go and compare that to the streams of any big name catalogue artist (The Who, Dylan, Macca, Bruce, etc.) to see that there is not even close any individual new song from them being that popular. Actually, not even the streams of their whole albums are beating it (of the mentioned, only Bruce's album barely does that). Like I've said earlier, it is is unique that such a classic act with a heavy cataloque full of masterpieces is able to produce new music that makes people actually listen it like their old classics. Spotify is good indicator for that, giving us factual evidence. "Living I A Ghost Town" still - after a year - gets almost two millions streams a month. That something close to what "Brown Sugar", "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Honky Tonk Women" get per month, songs hitting top ten or close. What is also noteworthy is that the streams for "Ghost Town" weren't that exceptional when it was relaesed. There weren't any huge peak in first weeks that would have disappeared when the curiosity was satisfied, as it almost everytime happens when the old legendaric heroes release new stuff (something, for example, Paul McCartney surely has just noticed, no matter how much his new album is advertised and hailed by whatever means). No, by contrast, "Living In A Ghost Town") became a steady streamer.

However, we need to still point out that the very top is not even close. I happened to write down the five most streamed songs when "Ghost Town" was released (I did it April 30th, precisely), so that is how they've done during the last year:

1. Paint It Black 136m
2. Satisfaction 91m
3. Start Me Up 78m
4. Gimme Shelter 72m
5. Sympathy For The Devil 70m

I guess I stop closer following of streaming success for "Ghost Town" now, but let's see - if fate allows - how the numbers look like this time next year.

- Doxa

---------

Okay, back to this moment. It's been two years from the release of "Living In A Ghost Town". Let's see what has happened on Spotify since my last update a year ago.

The normal version: 37,3 million streams (#20)
The Alok Version: 12,8 million streams (#56)

Together: 50,1 million streams

This is to say that the normal version had 12,2m streams, and Alok 3,1m streams last year. That's together 15,3m streams. A clear drop from its first year, but still clearly over one million streams a month, which is good. It is still more than the two songs in front of the normal version in the all-time list: "Tumbling Dice" 10,4m (52,9m, #18),"Street Fighting Man" 7,1m (39,2m, #19).

Now, as I had the biggest streamers listed a year ago, now the top five has managed within a year:

1.Paint It Black 150m (136m a year before, a total: 708m, #1)
2.Satisfaction 100m (91m, 490m, #2))
3.Start Me Up 83m (78m, 407m, #5)
4.Sympathy For The Devil 77m (70m, 408m, #3)
5.Gimme Shelter 71m (72m, 408m, #4)

- Doxa

Okay, since now is three years when this song was released, just out of curiosity, let's see how it has managed on Spotify.

The normal version has now 44,0 million streams and is dropped to #21, as passed by "Anybody Seen My Baby?" (and soon by "Waiting On A Friend"). The Alok version has 14,4 million streams with the same chart position #56. So that's 58,4 million streams combined.

During the last year the normal version has had 7.1m streams, while the Alok one 1.6m. So the the song was streamed 8.7 million times during the year.

Here are the streams per yer:
1.Year: 34.8m
2.Year: 15.3m
3.Year: 8.7m

Since "Ghost Town" is a pure streaming era song, it gained a lot from its novel factor, but probably now its popularity starts to sound like it actually is compared to their pre-streaming era songs. It starts to be hard for it making Top 30.

Okay, just for fun, let'see how the big tunes have done last year:

1. Paint It Black 177m (+27m compared to a year before, a total: 885m, #1)
2. Satisfaction 95m (-5m, 585m, #2)
3. Start Me Up 90m (+7m, 497m, #3)
4. Gimme Shelter 84m (+13m, 492m, #4)
5. Sympathy For The Devil 75m (-2m, 483m, #5)

The status of "Paint It Black" as the clearly most listened/popular Stones song is just getting stronger. It might reach 1 billion streams still during this calendar year. Interesting is also that "Start Me Up" is pretty close now to "Satisfaction" as a number two.

- Doxa

I got rid of Spotify. However, I listen to this magnificent single often on YouTube and via download. The Alok "remix" is excellent.

Interesting info. In a couple more years none of it will probably matter.

Date: April 28, 2023 11:17

True, Skippy, none of this really matters in a couple of years, but at the moment it is interesting to have some kind of hard data what people actually listen to. You know, some real evidence of popularity. The streaming business is ruthless in that sense that each listening, and nothing else, matters. Back in the old days we would know how many copies an item sold, but no idea how much and how long that actually was listen to. For the old stuff it really gives a good picture how the music has stood the test of time. What songs or albums are still listened to and what are forgotten. That kind of data we didn't have earlier.

But yeah, Spotify only covers a part of streaming market (probably 30-40 %), but I don't think there is that much difference in people's listening habits in other platforms.

But of course, in the case of old acts like The Stones, the old-style hard copies still matter, and probably their fanbase mostly still listen to those. That data we don't know and how much that affects on relative popularity of the songs.

A bit of nerd stuff I know, but fandom of such cultural phenomenon as The Rolling Stones comes in many forms of interests..

By the way, I don't either listen to Spotify... A pure theoretical interest here.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-28 11:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 28, 2023 12:04

Living in a Ghost Town is the Stones’ first contemporary release in the streaming-era. Perhaps that has something to do with its comparative success to some of their older, more classic recordings. I think the track is merely ‘OK’ in my opinion, Doom and Gloom is a lot better.

Date: April 28, 2023 14:04

Big Al
Living in a Ghost Town is the Stones’ first contemporary release in the streaming-era. Perhaps that has something to do with its comparative success to some of their older, more classic recordings. I think the track is merely ‘OK’ in my opinion, Doom and Gloom is a lot better.

Doom And Gloom and One More Shot were also released in the streaming era, but that's knitpicking, really smiling smiley

Date: April 28, 2023 14:46

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Doom And Gloom and One More Shot were also released in the streaming era, but that's knitpicking, really smiling smiley

Yeah, and BLUE&LONESOME with its leading singles as well (a sign of that is that all its tracks are now going down in all-time charts since the heavy peak once caused by being a brandnew release having vanished).

But I think "Ghost Town" could be a pure streaming-era release in that sense that as a stand alone release people are used to listen to it from online services, and do not own a physical or digital copy at all (people like me). So if they want to hear it, they need to stream. This is not the case with the stuff people have on records. That could probably affect on its streaming popularity compared to other tracks.

- Doxa

Date: April 28, 2023 14:53

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Yeah, and BLUE&LONESOME with its leading singles as well (a sign of that is that all its tracks are now going down in all-time charts since the heavy peak once caused by being a brandnew release having vanished).

But I think "Ghost Town" could be a pure streaming-era release in that sense that as a stand alone release people are used to listen to it from online services, and do not own a physical or digital copy at all (people like me). So if they want to hear it, they need to stream. This is not the case with the stuff people have on records. That could probably affect on its streaming popularity compared to other tracks.

- Doxa

Well, a lot (most?) of the fans have the 10", but they did hit wider than us with Ghost Town, so I agree. It was the closest thing to having a hit again since Mixed Emotions (#1 in Canada, #5 in the US).

Date: April 28, 2023 14:55

Doxa

So if they want to hear it, they need to stream.

'Ghost Town' was no streaming-only release - it was also available physically on CD and orange & purple Vinyl as well as digital download - [www.Discogs.com] .

Date: April 28, 2023 15:45

Irix
Doxa

So if they want to hear it, they need to stream.

'Ghost Town' was no streaming-only release - it was also available physically on CD and orange & purple Vinyl as well as digital download - [www.Discogs.com] .

I know that, but how many, pl. collectors among hardcore fans, actually bothers to buy a single these days. Especially if I recall right they somehow screwed it up that the physical item was released ages late or something (and thereby destroying its chances to make a better chart appearance in its first week. Well, in Germany where they only count sold copies, it made #1 though, when they finally managed to get those copies on sale).

- Doxa

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 28, 2023 16:14

I bought the CD and purple version, which - interestingly enough - just doesn't seem to exist anymore, though one can still fairly easily acquire the orange version. It was a tough call for me, as those are my 2 favorite colors.

Date: April 28, 2023 16:30

Doxa

Especially if I recall right they somehow screwed it up that the physical item was released ages late or something (and thereby destroying its chances to make a better chart appearance in its first week.

When 'Ghost Town' was released in 2020, there was a pandemic with lockdowns ongoing, plus the 'Vinyl delay' and it generally takes longer to manufacture physical media than simply copying a file to a server. Separate releases of the digital & physical versions can get the music faster to listeners - otherwise listeners have to wait for the release until all physical media are manufactured.

Doxa

in Germany where they only count sold copies

That's not true. GfK Entertainment - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] : "Large electronics chains are taken into account as well as online shops or the small record shop around the corner. Music streams and downloads are also integrated." Competitor [www.Media-Control.de] : "The measurement is based on physical and digital sales, audio and video streams as well as radio airplay".

See also the German article: "How do the charts work in the age of music streaming?" - [www.MusikUndMedien.org] . Technical description (PDF) how the German charts work: [www.Musikindustrie.de] - (in German).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-29 01:25 by Irix.

Date: April 28, 2023 19:19

Irix
Doxa

Especially if I recall right they somehow screwed it up that the physical item was released ages late or something (and thereby destroying its chances to make a better chart appearance in its first week.

When 'Ghost Town' was released in 2020, there was a pandemic with lockdowns ongoing, plus the 'Vinyl delay' and it generally takes longer to manufacture physical media than simply copying it to a server. Separate releases of the digital & physical versions can get the music faster to listeners, otherwise listeners have to wait for the release until all physical media are manufactured.

Doxa

in Germany where they only count sold copies

That's not true. GfK Entertainment - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] : "Large electronics chains are taken into account as well as online shops or the small record shop around the corner. Music streams and downloads are also integrated." Competitor [www.Media-Control.de] : "The measurement is based on physical and digital sales, audio and video streams as well as radio airplay".

Okay, I got that wrong - but I recall the physical releases are weighted more strongly in Germany than in some other market. But thanks for pointing this out - I have had reservations about its number one status due to my misunderstanding, but it is a proper number one as one can be. A hit record!

Anyway, it is interesting the dual appearance of "Ghost Town". First, digital, streaming and radio only: it made #22. One week and out. Then over 2 months later the physical copies went on sale: #1.

In UK the first appearance made it #63, while the latter, the physical one, #61 (sales only it was #2).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-29 15:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2023 16:35

Haven't listened to this since it was released and it showed up yesterday on a random Alexa playlist...surprised by how much I still liked it.

Great cut actually. I don't want the entire new album to sound like this, as it's a bit of a downer, but 'of this quality', yes, that would be excellent.

Date: May 2, 2023 08:04

Their best single - and song - since 1983.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768Next
Current Page: 66 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home