Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768Next
Current Page: 65 of 68
Re: Stones Hit With Copyright Lawsuit
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 11, 2023 21:34

gotdablouse
Hum..."So Sorry" is on Spotify by Angelslang has mentioned in the article and it sounds like "Sweet Neo Con" with a guy trying too hard to sound like Mick ! There are indeed some parts that sound like LIAGT, like the harmonica but these licks have been used hundreds of times.

What's strange is that this guy would send his songs to a "family member of Jagger", it's not like the Stones are known to request help from other songwriters. What's even stranger is that the "family member" would have bothered replying especially by writing "a sound The Rolling Stones would be interested in using"...or was that dude wanting to produce them ?

"Seed of God" isn't on Spotify.

Clearly a (ill-minded) attempt at generating some publicity for his 2022 "album". Dude's going to be taken to the cleaners by the Stones machine !

The " family member " ;

[angelslang.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 11, 2023 22:15

Lien

The " family member " ;

[angelslang.com]

"Ten years ago, the lyricist of the band Angelslang was in close contact with Chris Jagger, brother of Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones. The two shared and exchanged views on the songs and musical style of the band Angelslang, which could appeal to members of The Rolling Stones and delivered several Angelslang music CDs to Chris Jagger, two for him and two for Mick Jagger. In addition, the musical composer of the band Angelslang has played together with Chris Jagger in one of the shows organised by the lyricist with Chris [see the 2013 YouTube-Videos].

Of course, Chris Jagger will never be able to say he doesn't know this composer of the band Angelslang when they have shared stage, concert and a show playing together, the same would happen with the lyricist who exchanged many emails, to organize his mini tour in Madrid. In 2020, in the middle of the pandemic, the Rolling Stones released the song 'Living in a ghost town' (2020), composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. After the release of this song, many fans and followers of the band Angelslang started to compare the song 'Living in a ghost town' (2020) with 'So Sorry' (2008) by the band Angelslang, claiming that they were very similar."

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: March 12, 2023 03:04

Irix
Lien

The " family member " ;

[angelslang.com]

"Ten years ago, the lyricist of the band Angelslang was in close contact with Chris Jagger, brother of Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones. The two shared and exchanged views on the songs and musical style of the band Angelslang, which could appeal to members of The Rolling Stones and delivered several Angelslang music CDs to Chris Jagger, two for him and two for Mick Jagger. In addition, the musical composer of the band Angelslang has played together with Chris Jagger in one of the shows organised by the lyricist with Chris [see the 2013 YouTube-Videos].

Of course, Chris Jagger will never be able to say he doesn't know this composer of the band Angelslang when they have shared stage, concert and a show playing together, the same would happen with the lyricist who exchanged many emails, to organize his mini tour in Madrid. In 2020, in the middle of the pandemic, the Rolling Stones released the song 'Living in a ghost town' (2020), composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. After the release of this song, many fans and followers of the band Angelslang started to compare the song 'Living in a ghost town' (2020) with 'So Sorry' (2008) by the band Angelslang, claiming that they were very similar."

But why would the lyricist think that their songs would appeal to members of the Rolling Stones? It's not like the Stones need other lyricists to write music for them. Sounds to me like he was just trying to get the Stones attention because he's obviously a fan. And now look where he's trying to go with all this. And Dirty Woman By ANGELSLANG is an obvious rip off of HTW.

Re: Track Talk: Living In A Ghost Town
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:28

Hehe... someone copying The Stones so much that it is impossible for The Stones sound like a bit copying them afterwards...

Hmm, the case will settled outside court. The band tries to get an opening slot for one Stones American gig, but it is laughed out of court (sic). Instead they are offered Mick and Keith's signatures plus for them to promise never bother the Stones and their family members anyway ever again. The band happily agrees with that and hopes the publicity achieved will gain them a couple of more gigs and that some Stones fans might give a listen to their stuff. 5000 views might even turn into 50 000.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-12 11:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 12, 2023 11:45

ProfessorWolf
Irix
gotdablouse

Dude's going to be taken to the cleaners by the Stones machine !

For the intro of Angelslang's 'Dirty Woman' which sounds like 'Honky Tonk Women' - [open.Spotify.com] . The part 1:15-1:25 of 'Roughish' sounds like 'Tumbling Dice'.

holy sh-t!eye popping smiley

talk about copyright infringement

that doesn't sound like htw it basically is htwgrinning smiley

and then it hit me: those people who always despised the Stones, this is probably how it sounds to them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-12 11:48 by Nikkei.

Date: March 12, 2023 12:03

Nikkei
ProfessorWolf
Irix
gotdablouse

For the intro of Angelslang's 'Dirty Woman' which sounds like 'Honky Tonk Women' - [open.Spotify.com] . The part 1:15-1:25 of 'Roughish' sounds like 'Tumbling Dice'.

holy sh-t!eye popping smiley

talk about copyright infringement

that doesn't sound like htw it basically is htwgrinning smiley

and then it hit me: those people who always despised the Stones, this is probably how it sounds to them

You know, that stuff could be suitable for The Stones version of The Rutles.

Or, to update it. I wonder if AI might come up with a better pastishe version of the Stones.

But for a casual listener, all of them might work just like the Stones, no substantial difference... (then again, I enjoy listening The Rutles more than The Beatles...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-12 12:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 12, 2023 17:13

I'm the greatest Stones.' fan but I find it hard to believe they copied a song to make it what it is... A horribly boring song.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2023 17:32

Irix
gotdablouse

WOW...so the stones have been ripping off Angelslang since at least 1968.

I think I hear chord progression similarities between "Seed of God" and "Have You Seen YOur Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow". That puts the thievery to at least 1966.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Keith even had that Satisfaction 'dream'!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2023 20:58

Where did you hear "Seed of God" or did you forget to put smilies ? ;-)

So Chris is the culprit, hum...maybe that Angelslang dude was hoping he could help him land a "lyrical editor" credit like Chris got on "Blinded by Love" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2023 22:38

gotdablouse
Where did you hear "Seed of God" or did you forget to put smilies ? ;-)

So Chris is the culprit, hum...maybe that Angelslang dude was hoping he could help him land a "lyrical editor" credit like Chris got on "Blinded by Love" !

tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 13, 2023 05:00

LIAGT sounds like a leftover from UNDERCOVER. It has that essence.

Angelslang is... is the bit with the violin players at the table in that video of So Sorry lifted from BEING MICK?

The Rolling Stones sued over Living in A ghost Town
Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: March 13, 2023 21:39

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 14, 2023 01:44

oh wow

did anyone else notice that the video of angelslang's ripped off htw in my above post has been removed for "copyright reasons" from youtubegrinning smiley

and the request to have it removed was not by the stones

seems like someone's cleaning up ironicly embarrassing things before there bullsh-t lawsuit gets fully underwaywinking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2023 01:56

Mick Jagger emerged as the victor in a highly publicized civil suit that charged him with stealing the song “Just Another Night” from an obscure reggae artist. Jagger’s song appeared on his 1985 solo album She’s the Boss.

A six-person jury in White Plains, New York, dismissed all copyright-infringement claims made by Patrick Alley, a Jamaican resident of the Bronx, who wrote his song “Just Another Night” in 1979 and recorded and released it four years later. In reaching its decision, the jury said Alley failed to prove that Jagger had ever heard or been aware of Alley’s song.

Following the trial’s conclusion, Jagger characterized himself as the victim of a spurious action. “I don’t think the plaintiff really believed his song was stolen,” said Jagger. “They saw a chance for themselves and were going to take it.”

Among the highlights of the week-long case were three days of testimony by Jagger, who provided a rare glimpse into his work habits when he played a succession of homemade and studio tapes demonstrating the development of his song. Cross-examination by Alley’s attorney – attempting to prove that Jagger could have heard Alley’s song on the radio – provided one of the trial’s lighter moments when Jagger admitted that he listens to a classical radio station when he wakes up.

“I used to like to listen to rock music in the morning,” said the singer, “but not anymore.”

Way back in 1987 .......... Lurv ya Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 14, 2023 02:16

Rockman
Mick Jagger emerged as the victor in a highly publicized civil suit that charged him with stealing the song “Just Another Night” from an obscure reggae artist. Jagger’s song appeared on his 1985 solo album She’s the Boss.

A six-person jury in White Plains, New York, dismissed all copyright-infringement claims made by Patrick Alley, a Jamaican resident of the Bronx, who wrote his song “Just Another Night” in 1979 and recorded and released it four years later. In reaching its decision, the jury said Alley failed to prove that Jagger had ever heard or been aware of Alley’s song.

Following the trial’s conclusion, Jagger characterized himself as the victim of a spurious action. “I don’t think the plaintiff really believed his song was stolen,” said Jagger. “They saw a chance for themselves and were going to take it.”

Among the highlights of the week-long case were three days of testimony by Jagger, who provided a rare glimpse into his work habits when he played a succession of homemade and studio tapes demonstrating the development of his song. Cross-examination by Alley’s attorney – attempting to prove that Jagger could have heard Alley’s song on the radio – provided one of the trial’s lighter moments when Jagger admitted that he listens to a classical radio station when he wakes up.

“I used to like to listen to rock music in the morning,” said the singer, “but not anymore.”

at least patrick alley had the fact that the chorus between the two is somewhat similar going for him (though the rest of the song is not at all)

also this song is actually pretty goodwinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-14 02:21 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 14, 2023 04:56

Patrick Alley...sweet tune.

Zero relevance regarding Mick Jagger. Makes Mick's statement of “I don’t think the plaintiff really believed his song was stolen,” said Jagger. “They saw a chance for themselves and were going to take it.” seem all morecompletely true.

That's beyond a stretch. In fact, there's no stretch in any yoga, going back 4000 years, the even be close.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2023 05:35

Wonder if the Stones will bow to the pressure as they did with KD Lange, or will they put up a fight?!!!
Whatevr the case, I love Living In A Ghost Town, and will hopefully forget all about this bullshit Angelslang by tomorrow morning.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 14, 2023 15:38

In this case it would appear Mick should open the check book.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 14, 2023 18:22

Angelslang? Never heard of them. Their Twitter account was created februari 2022.. Seems to me that this are a bunch of amatures, trying to make some dollars.

They don't even have a 1000 monthly listers on Spotify. And that is including the attention that this Ghost Town news has drawn. 1000 is nothing these days. A local punk band from my town that only plays in small bars and school canteens has five times more listeners. lol.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 14, 2023 20:48

ProfessorWolf
Rockman

at least patrick alley had the fact that the chorus between the two is somewhat similar going for him (though the rest of the song is not at all)

also this song is actually pretty goodwinking smiley

Here's a you tube video compilation I created regarding the 1988 lawsuit regarding Just Another Night

[youtu.be]

Date: March 14, 2023 21:23

Hey yeah thanks for comp of 1988 lawsuit ....

Great ta have it all that footage cobbled tagether ... Fanks

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2023 21:46

Rockman
Hey yeah thanks for comp of 1988 lawsuit ....

Great ta have it all that footage cobbled tagether ... Fanks

+1 thumbs up

- Doxa

Stones allegedly plagiarized this fella
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 16, 2023 16:06

Thoughts?

[lonestar925.iheart.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-16 16:11 by MingSubu.

Re: Stones allegedly plagiarized this fella
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 16, 2023 17:30

MingSubu

Thoughts?

RS 'Ghost Town' vs. 'So Sorry' by Angelslang - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 16, 2023 20:37

SomeTorontoGirl
The defence rests.

And likely prepare themselves for a massive counter-attack...

Honestly, there's no chance in hell for this copyright claim. It's like James Brown suing the Stones for "stealing" his "sound" in Sex Drive. They likely did, but a certain sound is not subject of any copyright. Otherwise, artists could sue other artists for trying to sound like them in general or in certain songs.

What really counts in copyright is the composition, the songwriting. Lyrics, chord structures, lead vocal melodies, refrains have nothing to do with each other.

But here we have a band desperately trying to sound like the Stones with a Jagger-wannabe at least in the songs I know suing the Stones for alledgedly stealing their sound - laughable from start to finish.

But hey, maybe the Stones fight back because of the use of a cowbell in Angelslang's "Dirty Woman"... if only to show how ridiculous this "copyright" claim is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-16 20:41 by retired_dog.

Date: March 16, 2023 23:45

Heck ...

Good ole Mr Zimmerman takes the riff of
Billy "The Kid" Emersons - If Lovin' Is Believing
and plonks in into False Prophet ........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2023 00:03

Hehe, Rockie, that's the habit Zimmy learned from the folk circles. Nobody owns the music, its everybody's. You can re-cicle it as much as you want, since it only serves as a template for lyrical content. And it's only the latter that matters to copyright..

Kids, don't try that at home!

- Doxa

Date: March 17, 2023 01:23

Well that's his excuse ..... I dont buy it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 17, 2023 01:34

Doxa
Hehe, Rockie, that's the habit Zimmy learned from the folk circles. Nobody owns the music, its everybody's. You can re-cicle it as much as you want, since it only serves as a template for lyrical content. And it's only the latter that matters to copyright..

- Doxa

Doxa, I'm afraid that in reality it's a bit more complex than what folk circles may think...
Try copying, let's say, the music to Gimme Shelter and just change the "lyrical content" and definitely sooner than later a cease and desist letter from the Stones' lawyers will arrive at your door!

Date: March 17, 2023 02:51

retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

Doxa, I'm afraid that in reality it's a bit more complex than what folk circles may think...
Try copying, let's say, the music to Gimme Shelter and just change the "lyrical content" and definitely sooner than later a cease and desist letter from the Stones' lawyers will arrive at your door!

Yeah, I know that, and that's why I gave the advice to not try that. I guess it is more safe if the composer in question is "trad", like it traditionally was with folk folks. But if one has balls big enough, well, one can get away with everything. Like they say, the amateurs borrow, the pros steal...

In the case of "Gimme Shelter", if there would not be the Klein people involved, I guess Bobby would not have to worry. Mick and Keith would be just proud for the master making such a strong reference to them...

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768Next
Current Page: 65 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home