Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768Next
Current Page: 64 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 7, 2021 20:53

Last night in Vegas Mick was carefully teaching the crowd how to do the oh-oh-oh's and making it clear that they were expected to join in. I'm glad they are persisting with Ghost Town, though I think the "breakdown" bit is rather quiet for a stadium stage.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 13, 2022 16:52

Very weird: some dude on twitter just confronted me and basically everyone who wished Mick a nice holiday with the link to a clip that alleges similarities between LIAGT and a song from 2008. My initial assessment is that the key is the same and the groove is similar. In my opinion it sort of sucks and becomes less similar as it goes on. The guy from the other band also plays a harp, wonder where he got that from [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 13, 2022 17:03

Nikkei
Very weird: some dude on twitter just confronted me and basically everyone who wished Mick a nice holiday with the link to a clip that alleges similarities between LIAGT and a song from 2008. My initial assessment is that the key is the same and the groove is similar. In my opinion it sort of sucks and becomes less similar as it goes on. The guy from the other band also plays a harp, wonder where he got that from [www.youtube.com]

Listened to it... well... it's not THAT close.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 13, 2022 17:05

Just the intro I guess and perhaps only because the band is obviously modeled after the Stones

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 14, 2022 05:11

Nikkei

They waited until March of 2022 to throw up how they got ripped off?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA.

Their song is cool. Can certainly hear similarities. But it lacks severely in comparison. If they were or are serious about being ripped off they wouldn't've posted it on YouTube - they'd be in suing in court.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2022 06:21

GasLightStreet
Nikkei

They waited until March of 2022 to throw up how they got ripped off?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA.

Their song is cool. Can certainly hear similarities. But it lacks severely in comparison. If they were or are serious about being ripped off they wouldn't've posted it on YouTube - they'd be in suing in court.

If the Specials didn't sue them, these guys certainly can't.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2022 06:22

The Stones have been copying, borrowing, and stealing songs and ideas from others since the beginning - nothing new here.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2022 08:18

same as Mr Zimmerman

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 25, 2022 22:44

That's what I wrote a year ago:

------------

So, after one year (plus one day, okay), this is how "Living In A Ghost Town" has done on Spotify:

The normal version: 25,1 million streams (#24 in their all-time chart)
The Alok version: 9,7 million streams (#60)

That's together: 34,8 million streams.

That will make it #20 most streamed Stones song of all-time. The studio version of "Tumbling Dice" has 42,5m (#18) and "Street Fighting Man" 32,1m (#19) but if we count their many live versions too (we speak in millions in both of them), the last-mentioned 'beats' "Ghost Town" still.

How do we interpret this? One could go and compare that to the streams of any big name catalogue artist (The Who, Dylan, Macca, Bruce, etc.) to see that there is not even close any individual new song from them being that popular. Actually, not even the streams of their whole albums are beating it (of the mentioned, only Bruce's album barely does that). Like I've said earlier, it is is unique that such a classic act with a heavy cataloque full of masterpieces is able to produce new music that makes people actually listen it like their old classics. Spotify is good indicator for that, giving us factual evidence. "Living I A Ghost Town" still - after a year - gets almost two millions streams a month. That something close to what "Brown Sugar", "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Honky Tonk Women" get per month, songs hitting top ten or close. What is also noteworthy is that the streams for "Ghost Town" weren't that exceptional when it was relaesed. There weren't any huge peak in first weeks that would have disappeared when the curiosity was satisfied, as it almost everytime happens when the old legendaric heroes release new stuff (something, for example, Paul McCartney surely has just noticed, no matter how much his new album is advertised and hailed by whatever means). No, by contrast, "Living In A Ghost Town") became a steady streamer.

However, we need to still point out that the very top is not even close. I happened to write down the five most streamed songs when "Ghost Town" was released (I did it April 30th, precisely), so that is how they've done during the last year:

1. Paint It Black 136m
2. Satisfaction 91m
3. Start Me Up 78m
4. Gimme Shelter 72m
5. Sympathy For The Devil 70m

I guess I stop closer following of streaming success for "Ghost Town" now, but let's see - if fate allows - how the numbers look like this time next year.

- Doxa

---------

Okay, back to this moment. It's been two years from the release of "Living In A Ghost Town". Let's see what has happened on Spotify since my last update a year ago.

The normal version: 37,3 million streams (#20)
The Alok Version: 12,8 million streams (#56)

Together: 50,1 million streams

This is to say that the normal version had 12,2m streams, and Alok 3,1m streams last year. That's together 15,3m streams. A clear drop from its first year, but still clearly over one million streams a month, which is good. It is still more than the two songs in front of the normal version in the all-time list: "Tumbling Dice" 10,4m (52,9m, #18),"Street Fighting Man" 7,1m (39,2m, #19).

Now, as I had the biggest streamers listed a year ago, now the top five has managed within a year:

1.Paint It Black 150m (136m a year before, a total: 708m, #1)
2.Satisfaction 100m (91m, 490m, #2))
3.Start Me Up 83m (78m, 407m, #5)
4.Sympathy For The Devil 77m (70m, 408m, #3)
5.Gimme Shelter 71m (72m, 408m, #4)

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-25 23:06 by Doxa.

Date: April 26, 2022 00:02

So maybe these statistics prove that the Stones' musical significance is defined in the (early) sixtees.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 26, 2022 00:45

Doxa

1.Paint It Black 150m
2.Satisfaction 100m
3.Start Me Up 83m
4.Sympathy For The Devil 77m
5.Gimme Shelter 71m

If the Streaming-Services would pay 1 Cent (0.01 $) per stream as demanded (see: [iorr.org] ) then Abkco would get 3.98 (1.5+1+0.77+0.71) million $ per year and Promotone would get 0.83 million $ per year for SMU.

Date: April 26, 2022 02:28

Of course there's no way to tell that I'm aware of but a number of people (consumers) dropped Spotify recently. Include me in that number.

Knowing people that are in their late 60s/late 70s, Spotify is not even a curiosity. A majority of them use Alexa/AmazonMusic and, well, they're not asking for Living In A Ghost Town yet alone Gimme Shelter.

Date: April 26, 2022 10:15

TheflyingDutchman
So maybe these statistics prove that the Stones' musical significance is defined in the (early) sixtees.

Well, according to Spotify their clearly most popular song is "Paint It Black" from 1966 and second is "Satisfaction" from 1965 (those two tracks are also the two most popular songs from their release years by anyone). Then it is very close.

But the 70's are very well represented in the remaining top ten:

6.Beast of Burden 279m
7.Angie 246m
8.Wild Horses 191m
9.Brown Sugar 186m
10.Miss You 129m

Altogether I would say that even the biggest evergreens are from the mid-60's, their legacy is constitued rather steadily from "Satisfaction" to "Start Me Up",from 1965 to 1981.

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 26, 2022 10:18

wow...that IS close!

Rod

Date: April 26, 2022 10:32

Irix
Doxa

1.Paint It Black 150m
2.Satisfaction 100m
3.Start Me Up 83m
4.Sympathy For The Devil 77m
5.Gimme Shelter 71m

If the Streaming-Services would pay 1 Cent (0.01 $) per stream as demanded (see: [iorr.org] ) then Abkco would get 3.98 (1.5+1+0.77+0.71) million $ per year and Promotone would get 0.83 million $ per year for SMU.

Since Spotify covers only, say, 30% of the streaming market one should multiply those numbers by, say, three. The thing is that ABKCO is doing pretty fine by doing nothing (just to keep the tracks available on streaming services), so I guess for the Stones to get the catalogue back might asks quite a lot of money... I think for almost non-existent record company like ABKCO streaming business was a gift from heavens...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-26 10:34 by Doxa.

Date: April 26, 2022 11:50

Doxa

The thing is that ABKCO is doing pretty fine by doing nothing (just to keep the tracks available on streaming services)

That's what I meant with this small money-comparison. Not bad, when you get $4 million a year for just streaming 4 songs that are 50+ years old ....

Date: April 26, 2022 15:06

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

Well, according to Spotify their clearly most popular song is "Paint It Black" from 1966 and second is "Satisfaction" from 1965 (those two tracks are also the two most popular songs from their release years by anyone). Then it is very close.

6.Beast of Burden 279m
7.Angie 246m
8.Wild Horses 191m

9.Brown Sugar 186m
10.Miss You 129m

Altogether I would say that even the biggest evergreens are from the mid-60's, their legacy is constitued rather steadily from "Satisfaction" to "Start Me Up",from 1965 to 1981.

- Doxa

Thanks.thumbs up So probably "Anybody seen my Baby" (1997) would be their last major hit. I have no acces to the statistics though.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 26, 2022 15:22

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

6.Beast of Burden 279m
7.Angie 246m
8.Wild Horses 191m

9.Brown Sugar 186m
10.Miss You 129m

- Doxa

Thanks.thumbs up So probably "Anybody seen my Baby" (1997) would be their last major hit. I have no acces to the statistics though.

it's at nr 23 with 35,2 million streams

Date: April 26, 2022 16:35

tiffanyblu
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

6.Beast of Burden 279m
7.Angie 246m
8.Wild Horses 191m

9.Brown Sugar 186m
10.Miss You 129m

- Doxa

I checked from this very thread that on 27th of May, 2020, "Anybody Seen My Baby?" had 16,6m streams with #30. That is to say that it has been streamed almost 20 million times during the last two years, and it has climbed seven positions in their all-time list.

It wasn't any big hit at all at the time of its release, but it clearly is their most streamed song between two TATTOO YOU songs and "Living In A Ghost Town". (Funnily, it didn't even make HONK). Seemingly I'm not the only one who likes that tune.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-26 16:41 by Doxa.

Date: April 26, 2022 19:35

Doxa

"Living In A Ghost Town". (Funnily, it didn't even make HONK).

But it's contained in the Digital version of HONK - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [open.Spotify.com] .

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 26, 2022 20:04

Irix
Doxa

But it's contained in the Digital version of HONK - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [open.Spotify.com] .

I think Doxa is talking about Anybody seen my Baby! Ghost Town probably wasn't even recorded when Honk was first released!

Date: April 26, 2022 21:58

Doxa
tiffanyblu
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

6.Beast of Burden 279m
7.Angie 246m
8.Wild Horses 191m

9.Brown Sugar 186m
10.Miss You 129m

- Doxa

I checked from this very thread that on 27th of May, 2020, "Anybody Seen My Baby?" had 16,6m streams with #30. That is to say that it has been streamed almost 20 million times during the last two years, and it has climbed seven positions in their all-time list.

It wasn't any big hit at all at the time of its release, but it clearly is their most streamed song between two TATTOO YOU songs and "Living In A Ghost Town". (Funnily, it didn't even make HONK). Seemingly I'm not the only one who likes that tune.

- Doxa

In Holland it got quite a lot of airplay I remember. The chorus is very catchy in particular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-26 21:59 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 27, 2022 07:04

hockenheim95
Irix
Doxa

I think Doxa is talking about Anybody seen my Baby! Ghost Town probably wasn't even recorded when Honk was first released!

LIAGT was recorded in early 2019, it just wasn't finished - that happened in April of 2020, just prior to the release of HONK.

ASMB was on FORTY LICKS as well as all editions of THE SIMIAN DISASTER but was indeed left off of HONK.

Stones Hit With Copyright Lawsuit
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: March 11, 2023 08:07

Over 'Living in a Ghost Town' single.

[www.billboard.com]

Re: Stones Hit With Copyright Lawsuit
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 11, 2023 09:41

Some elements are similar but it's clearly a different song this "so sorry". The other one "seed of god" i haven't found on YouTube.
Moreover, how can one plagiarize two songs at once?
Did he file suit so that more people listen to his songs?

Re: Stones hit with Copyright Lawsuit for Ghost Town
Date: March 11, 2023 11:25

The claimed similarity between 'Living in a Ghost Town' and 'So Sorry' was already reported on 11-Apr-2022 - [www.DailyMotion.com] .

'So Sorry' by Angelslang from their 2022 album 'Clown After Midnight' - [www.YouTube.com] , [open.Spotify.com] :

'Seed of god (Talent in the Trash)' from their 2022 album 'Überrock' - [open.Spotify.com] , [News.BloombergLaw.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-11 12:15 by Irix.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 11, 2023 11:29

Hum..."So Sorry" is on Spotify by Angelslang has mentioned in the article and it sounds like "Sweet Neo Con" with a guy trying too hard to sound like Mick ! There are indeed some parts that sound like LIAGT, like the harmonica but these licks have been used hundreds of times.

What's strange is that this guy would send his songs to a "family member of Jagger", it's not like the Stones are known to request help from other songwriters. What's even stranger is that the "family member" would have bothered replying especially by writing "a sound The Rolling Stones would be interested in using"...or was that dude wanting to produce them ?

"Seed of God" isn't on Spotify.

Clearly a (ill-minded) attempt at generating some publicity for his 2022 "album". Dude's going to be taken to the cleaners by the Stones machine !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 11, 2023 12:30

gotdablouse

Dude's going to be taken to the cleaners by the Stones machine !

For the intro of Angelslang's 'Dirty Woman' which sounds like 'Honky Tonk Women' - [open.Spotify.com] . The part 1:15-1:25 of 'Roughish' sounds like 'Tumbling Dice'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-11 12:40 by Irix.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 11, 2023 12:45

Irix
gotdablouse

Dude's going to be taken to the cleaners by the Stones machine !

For the intro of Angelslang's 'Dirty Woman' which sounds like 'Honky Tonk Women' - [open.Spotify.com] . The part 1:15-1:25 of 'Roughish' sounds like 'Tumbling Dice'.

holy sh-t!eye popping smiley

talk about copyright infringement

that doesn't sound like htw it basically is htwgrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-11 12:46 by ProfessorWolf.

Re: Track Talk: Living In A Ghost Town
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 11, 2023 13:03

The defence rests.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768Next
Current Page: 64 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home