Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Date: June 9, 2020 19:39

GetYerAngie
tiffanyblu
So if they are going to do just an "greatest hits" concert based on Spotify streams the 19 songs would be:

Paint It, Black 434 100 601
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 317 164 387
Sympathy For The Devil 279 050 854
Gimme Shelter 277 145 861
Start Me Up 258 022 686
Beast Of Burden 193 939 737
Angie 151 580 169
Wild Horses 137 776 131
Brown Sugar 130 265 540
You Can't Always Get What You Want 99 849 995
Miss You 86 613 941
Honky Tonk Women 85 974 582
Under My Thumb 66 577 354
Jumpin' Jack Flash 66 549 764
Can't You Hear Me Knocking 49 051 137
Ruby Tuesday 44 784 562
She's A Rainbow 39 738 108
Tumbling Dice 36 413 751
Street Fighting Man 30 193 930

I'm curious. Would a Keith-vocal track enter Top 100? Happy maybe, Any with his voice from All About You and on?

Happy is in the top 30. Check out Doxa's statistics-thread.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2020 20:49

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie

I'm curious. Would a Keith-vocal track enter Top 100? Happy maybe, Any with his voice from All About You and on?

I tried to look at the current numbers, but "Due to the heavy growth of the usage of this tool, our technical environment struggles to handle this activity... Your favorite tool is under maintenance and will resume shortly!".... So someone else is also checking that chartmasters tool...grinning smiley

But this is how it looked like by the end of 2015 in regard to Keith's 'solo' numbers in their TOP 100:

#36 Happy 12,7 (million views)
#61 You Got the Silver 7,3
#93 Little T&A 4,6

(Those numbers were Spotify ones multiplied by two to estimate the total streams at the time).

And this is how tiffanyblu yesterday calculated all of the different versions put together and came up with (this is a total Spotify number):

#38 Happy 14,5

No any other 'Keith tune' made TOP 60 (but I guess "You Got The Silver" is not lurking far behind).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-09 20:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 9, 2020 21:51

I have to say that Living In A Ghost Town is popping up on my YouTube mix in the last few days, and it always sounds good. I like the song and am glad that we have a new Stones track after so long.

My question is: am I the only one wondering if these weekly releases of bonus concert footage on YouTube is a planned lead-up to a new album?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 9, 2020 22:51

This morning BBC World News (TV) showed a "clip" where empty streets were shown with each time one (modern) dancer, dancing on Living In A Ghost Town. Nice.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 10, 2020 01:02

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie

I tried to look at the current numbers, but "Due to the heavy growth of the usage of this tool, our technical environment struggles to handle this activity... Your favorite tool is under maintenance and will resume shortly!".... So someone else is also checking that chartmasters tool...grinning smiley

But this is how it looked like by the end of 2015 in regard to Keith's 'solo' numbers in their TOP 100:

#93 Little T&A 4,6

(Those numbers were Spotify ones multiplied by two to estimate the total streams at the time).

And this is how tiffanyblu yesterday calculated all of the different versions put together and came up with (this is a total Spotify number):

#38 Happy 14,5

No any other 'Keith tune' made TOP 60 (but I guess "You Got The Silver" is not lurking far behind).

- Doxa

Thanks, Doxa! That's significant numbers. Little T&A (1981) being the only post 1978 Keith-vocal on top 100.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:04

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 14:08

Date: June 10, 2020 14:37

GetYerAngie
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie

#93 Little T&A 4,6

#38 Happy 14,5

- Doxa

Thanks, Doxa! That's significant numbers. Little T&A (1981) being the only post 1978 Keith-vocal on top 100.

There aren't many post 1981-tracks on that list at all, is it? smiling smiley

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 11, 2020 06:37

Has anybody found a Cd of that radio edit version yet?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 11, 2020 11:44

donvis

..been looking also to no avail. When will we see our orders ship from RS store ??

Date: June 16, 2020 18:01

Maindefender
donvis

..been looking also to no avail. When will we see our orders ship from RS store ??

Is Covid-19 the reason for delay on the single into July? Originally 5/29

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 16, 2020 18:37

donvis

There has to be a way to find out if all 3 edits (not the silly "remixes") will be on the/a CD.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 17, 2020 00:30

CD-Single, 1-Track:

[www.jpc.de]

Date: June 17, 2020 12:25

The CD-Single is also available at: [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Date: June 17, 2020 18:23

Irix
CD-Single, 1-Track:

[www.jpc.de]

That's just pointless.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 17, 2020 21:10

I must admit I hear this song quite often on the radio. A bit unusual since the Rolling Stones is not exactly on heavy rotation on radio stations.
Usually you will hear one RS song between 20 Justin Bieber songs. I think it's down to the fact that a) it's a theme song b) the advent of a new RS song. The first one in decades.

Date: June 17, 2020 22:06

Stoneage
I must admit I hear this song quite often on the radio. A bit unusual since the Rolling Stones is not exactly on heavy rotation on radio stations.
Usually you will hear one RS song between 20 Justin Bieber songs. I think it's down to the fact that a) it's a theme song b) the advent of a new RS song. The first one in decades.

8 years is "decades"? smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 17, 2020 23:00

You're right, Dandy. The GRRR! singles. Forgot about them. Sorry...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 18, 2020 01:40

Stoneage

The song is #5 on Billboard's Adult Alternative airplay chart with almost 700 spins last week:
[charts.bdsradio.com]
[www.billboard.com]

The song is a rock hit, the problem is that a Top 5 rock hit song on radio means nothing these days, the current Hot 100 has only 3 rock songs on chart, 55% is R&B/Rap, 22% Pop, 16% Latin, 4% Country and 3% Rock.

Date: June 18, 2020 21:17

I haven't kept up with radio in the US yet alone anywhere else, as in, if it's still a viable format for new music.

Part of it seems cemented in place, like Classic Rock stations (like the one I listen to once in a while that's in New Orleans that plays the same 12 songs over and over) and old and new country music but how many people are listening? What cracks me up about FM radio is no one needs to listen - as long as the advertisers keep spending money it doesn't matter if anyone listens. It's probably an outmoded format anyway, and the idea of spending thousands of dollars just to be heard is, if not already, archaic.

Seemingly at weird times of the evening when I'm driving around I come across some iHeart Radio thing, which I only listen to to try to figure out what the hell they're on about but usually it's awful, just mind blowingly bad.

Then of course there are the commercials interrupted by talk radio, which doesn't seem to be in any kind of danger of dying... yet.

Satellite radio in automobiles or more likely people with unlimited data listening to podcasts and whatever playlists will probably, more so the unlimted data than satellite radio (which didn't exactly set the world on fire), put FM radio out of business at some point.

Cable TV is dying. Movie theatres were on their way down before COVID...

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point it will all be attributed, culturally, anyway, to Steve Jobs, and be called something with his name or Apple, the whole thing with the iPod turning into the iPhone and the music industry shitting its collective pants and now "everyone" watches and listens on their phones instead of whatever.

This single by the Stones? They're doing what they do in some old skool and of course, all the current/new skool. And if they release the new album it might be viewed upon, in a decade or so, that when the Stones ended so did an era of releasing music.

I know lots of other artists/bands will keep releasing albums, in whatever format - the LP will be available for download, streaming, vinyl or CD, and so will EPs and singles... and whatever else comes along.

Will it matter?

I don't see anything "shaking the world" in the way that music did between 1965 and 1993 in terms of the intensity of interest in a band/artist and the selling of the singles and the albums making news for being #1 for however long and the big long tours and various magazines and posters...

It's all on a small screen now!

I think about the aspect of What will grab people's attention? WHAT could be the "next thing" that changes the focus? I think about something Ian Astbury of The Cult said that is a good example of how music has changed over the years as a commercially consumed product:

...the 7-inch really pushed the single track. It fit for radio. It was a great format for radio: It played for two or three minutes, the DJ could speak over the introduction. So I think there’s a generation of artists who are writing very much for that modality and format. The thing I’m alluding to is: Here we are writing singles. You know if something’s a single. Why weren’t “Wild Hearted Son” or “She Sells Sanctuary” 12 minutes long? The Doors hit on something with “Light My Fire.” Its original incarnation was six and a half minutes long because they added a keyboard solo. But it’s a societal @#$%& format, so you start writing singles subconsciously, and I think “Wild Hearted Son” very much came out of that mindset. It was a muscle that we’d been flexing since “Spiritwalker.” You look at “She Sells Sanctuary,” “Rain,” “Love Removal Machine,” “Wild Flower,” “Fire Woman”… We had a way with this kind of three-and-a-half minute rock ’n’ roll song, a certain animal that just comes roaring out.

[music.avclub.com]

I thought that was an interesting perspective, and it still is, and it made me think of how in the 1980s and 1990s bands/artists started to just fling singles out, sometimes after there was one that got big, just because.

Def Leppard released Rocket as a single.

Think about that for a minute. It's a 6 and a half minute song that they edited 4 times down to 4 minutes or a bit over. They also released a version that's even longer than the LP version. It was the 7th US single!

SEVEN SINGLES!!!!!!!!!

Living In A Ghost Town is nothing extraordinary, overall, but it is a bit off for the Stones - the goofiness to the drums and vocals, a good bit more tempered way of being "contemporary" without having it be so pointless (Anybody Seen My Baby? and Saint Of Me) or ridiculous (Might As Well Get Juiced, Gunface) that allows for some of their better qualities to come through, like Keith's reggae licks and the subtle quite areas - the kind of production they haven't done since EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER, where there's all these nuances to what's going on.

So much of what they've done the last four albums (ha ha - BLUE AND LONESOME, A BIGGER BANG, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and VOODOO LOUNGE) has been mostly a carpet bomb. Very very few exceptions - How Can I Stop, Thief In The Night, Out Of Control, Laugh I Nearly Died, Thru And Thru, Out Of Tears...

LIAGT is their most dynamic production in quite some time. If they'd done it in 1994...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 18, 2020 21:43

Heard it a few times this week surfing the Sirius channels. The Spectrum seems to have it on rotation.

Date: June 18, 2020 22:04

Song will have legs for a while giving it more exposure on varied media levels. Great song, will the hard copy single ever get released.......

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 18, 2020 23:22

Isnt the single due for release very soon? Like the 22nd, that date seems to stick in my mind.

jb

Date: June 18, 2020 23:25

jbwelda

Isnt the single due for release very soon?

26-Jun-2020: [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com] , [www.jpc.de] .

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 23:43

GasLightStreet
I haven't kept up with radio in the US yet alone anywhere else, as in, if it's still a viable format for new music.

Part of it seems cemented in place, like Classic Rock stations (like the one I listen to once in a while that's in New Orleans that plays the same 12 songs over and over) and old and new country music but how many people are listening? What cracks me up about FM radio is no one needs to listen - as long as the advertisers keep spending money it doesn't matter if anyone listens. It's probably an outmoded format anyway, and the idea of spending thousands of dollars just to be heard is, if not already, archaic.

Seemingly at weird times of the evening when I'm driving around I come across some iHeart Radio thing, which I only listen to to try to figure out what the hell they're on about but usually it's awful, just mind blowingly bad.

Then of course there are the commercials interrupted by talk radio, which doesn't seem to be in any kind of danger of dying... yet.

Satellite radio in automobiles or more likely people with unlimited data listening to podcasts and whatever playlists will probably, more so the unlimted data than satellite radio (which didn't exactly set the world on fire), put FM radio out of business at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point it will all be attributed, culturally, anyway, to Steve Jobs, and be called something with his name or Apple, the whole thing with the iPod turning into the iPhone and the music industry shitting its collective pants and now "everyone" watches and listens on their phones instead of whatever.

This single by the Stones? They're doing what they do in some old skool and of course, all the current/new skool. And if they release the new album it might be viewed upon, in a decade or so, that when the Stones ended so did an era of releasing music.

I know lots of other artists/bands will keep releasing albums, in whatever format - the LP will be available for download, streaming, vinyl or CD, and so will EPs and singles... and whatever else comes along.

Will it matter?

I don't see anything "shaking the world" in the way that music did between 1965 and 1993 in terms of the intensity of interest in a band/artist and the selling of the singles and the albums making news for being #1 for however long and the big long tours and various magazines and posters...

I think about the aspect of What will grab people's attention? WHAT could be the "next thing" that changes the focus? I think about something Ian Astbury of The Cult said that is a good example of how music has changed over the years as a commercially consumed product:

...the 7-inch really pushed the single track. It fit for radio. It was a great format for radio: It played for two or three minutes, the DJ could speak over the introduction. So I think there’s a generation of artists who are writing very much for that modality and format. The thing I’m alluding to is: Here we are writing singles. You know if something’s a single. Why weren’t “Wild Hearted Son” or “She Sells Sanctuary” 12 minutes long? The Doors hit on something with “Light My Fire.” Its original incarnation was six and a half minutes long because they added a keyboard solo. But it’s a societal @#$%& format, so you start writing singles subconsciously, and I think “Wild Hearted Son” very much came out of that mindset. It was a muscle that we’d been flexing since “Spiritwalker.” You look at “She Sells Sanctuary,” “Rain,” “Love Removal Machine,” “Wild Flower,” “Fire Woman”… We had a way with this kind of three-and-a-half minute rock ’n’ roll song, a certain animal that just comes roaring out.

[music.avclub.com]

I thought that was an interesting perspective, and it still is, and it made me think of how in the 1980s and 1990s bands/artists started to just fling singles out, sometimes after there was one that got big, just because.

Think about that for a minute. It's a 6 and a half minute song that they edited 4 times down to 4 minutes or a bit over. They also released a version that's even longer than the LP version. It was the 7th US single!

SEVEN SINGLES!!!!!!!!!

Living In A Ghost Town is nothing extraordinary, overall, but it is a bit off for the Stones - the goofiness to the drums and vocals, a good bit more tempered way of being "contemporary" without having it be so pointless (Anybody Seen My Baby? and Saint Of Me) or ridiculous (Might As Well Get Juiced, Gunface) that allows for some of their better qualities to come through, like Keith's reggae licks and the subtle quite areas - the kind of production they haven't done since EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER, where there's all these nuances to what's going on.

So much of what they've done the last four albums (ha ha - BLUE AND LONESOME, A BIGGER BANG, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and VOODOO LOUNGE) has been mostly a carpet bomb. Very very few exceptions - How Can I Stop, Thief In The Night, Out Of Control, Laugh I Nearly Died, Thru And Thru, Out Of Tears...

LIAGT is their most dynamic production in quite some time. If they'd done it in 1994...

Hysteria was massive! 1987-88 it was on the charts. I saw a documentary where they said they wanted every song on that album to be considered a single. Mutt Lange's production had a lot to do with it.

Date: June 19, 2020 08:08

DGA35
GasLightStreet

Will it matter?

[music.avclub.com]

SEVEN SINGLES!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria was massive! 1987-88 it was on the charts. I saw a documentary where they said they wanted every song on that album to be considered a single. Mutt Lange's production had a lot to do with it.

Consider that for a moment... every song - a single.

I get the mentality but if they'd truly gone for that HYSTERIA would be a bit different.

Posted by: BluesManc ()
Date: June 19, 2020 09:55

The Rolling Stones never cease to amaze me. To be the first to put something out during the pandemic and to hit the nail on the head, is amazing. Truly the greatest band of all time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2020 10:36

Yep cant argue with that .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2020 10:43

GasLightStreet
DGA35
GasLightStreet

Will it matter?

[music.avclub.com]

SEVEN SINGLES!!!!!!!!!

Consider that for a moment... every song - a single.

I get the mentality but if they'd truly gone for that HYSTERIA would be a bit different.

That's how the multi-million-selling albums were in the 80s.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2020 18:07

Email received from RollingStones.com...more delays as expected....

THANK YOU FOR PURCHASING FROM THE ROLLING STONES OFFICIAL STORE!

WE ARE REACHING OUT TO YOU IN REGARDS TO YOUR ORDER CONTAINING THE LIVING IN A GHOST TOWN CD.

DUE TO OVERWHELMING DEMAND, YOUR ORDER IS EXPECTED TO SHIP IN THE NEXT WEEK. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE.

A SEPARATE EMAIL CONTAINING TRACKING INFORMATION WILL BE SENT ONCE YOUR ORDER SHIPS.

NOTE: IF YOUR ORDER CONTAINS MULTIPLE ITEMS, YOUR ENTIRE ORDER WILL SHIP ONCE ALL ITEMS BECOME AVAILABLE.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT,
- THE ROLLING STONES OFFICIAL STORE

"Overwhelming demand"....lol...what a lame excuse!
And my order contains "multiple items" (the vinyl), so could be even longer than what they say.Oh well no worries, entire albums of new Dylan and Neil to keep me satisfied!
And truth be told, I nearly forgot about this tune already having been preoccupied with other music - seems like it's a time capsule of the darkest early days of the corona crisis.
That said, it's a mighty fine tune, and I look forward to receiving my damn order some day so I can revisit and relive it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-23 18:08 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home