Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 27, 2020 19:00

Getting the CD, have not been informed yet of a delayed shipment. Scheduled for 5/29

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 27, 2020 19:02

Am I the only one who finds it weird that they wrote something like this a year ago? Did the Stones start the virus? With Bill Gates? And 5g? Well, I've gotta put my tin foil hat on now.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 27, 2020 19:05

Maindefender

Getting the CD, have not been informed yet of a delayed shipment. Scheduled for 5/29

Maybe the delay is in Europe since [www.Bravado.de] , [Store.DigitalStores.co.uk] and [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com] say now 26-Jun-2020 for the CD.

Updated: [TheRollingStonesShop.com] says now 12-Jun-2020 (was still 29th May).

CD-Release is also 26-Jun-2020 in Japan: [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-28 18:25 by Irix.

Date: May 27, 2020 22:59

I'm now reading as June release. Whatever...eye rolling smiley

Living In A Ghost Town CD
Regular price
$5.98
Quantity

Ships on or around May 29, 2020

Your order will ship 3-4 weeks after the street date, May 29th[/color]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-27 23:03 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 27, 2020 23:12

A quick look to the charts in which popularity is supposedly nowadays counted.

"Living In A Ghost Town" has now 5,9m plays in Spotify. That makes it #69 in their all-time list.

If compared to their latest efforts, it is lurking behind "Doom & Gloom" (6,3m, #67) and still three single/video-released cuts from BLUE & LONESOME are above it (and clearly): "Hate To See You Go" (11,6m, #44), "Just Your Fool" (10,5m, #52) and "Ride 'Em On Down" (9,9m, #53). These are somehow comparable because they have released within Spotify era.

But just to see how little worth the latter-day Stones are popularitywise, there are only these other three cuts released after TATTOO YOU that are any longer above it:
#30 Anybody Seen My Love? 16,6m
#59 Out of Control 7,4m
#62 Love is Strong 6,8m

So none of these tracks had the opportunity to gain from the hype of a new release but are based on their catalogue value. Spotify is cruel business - so typical to our times - the bigger get bigger, and the rest just relatively speaking smaller - the gap just increases. True classics, the evergreens just shine brighter than ever. That is what people listen, nothing else. At the time I checked the views of "Living In A Ghost Town", after being out for a week or so (April 30), and it had 2,0 m views, "Paint It Black" had 422 million views - now the latter has 431 million views. So within this time frame of four weeks or so "Paint It Black" is listened 9 million times against 4 millions of "Living In A Ghost Town" - their brandnew single!. Also their other TOP FIVE songs have made better than it during this time frame: "Satisfaction" 7m, "Gimme Shelter" 6m, "Sympathy For The Devil" 6m, "Start Me Up" 6m. War horses, baby!

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-27 23:32 by Doxa.

Date: May 27, 2020 23:45

CJFP
Am I the only one who finds it weird that they wrote something like this a year ago? Did the Stones start the virus? With Bill Gates? And 5g? Well, I've gotta put my tin foil hat on now.

It was re-written after covid-19 broke loose.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 27, 2020 23:48

DandelionPowderman
CJFP

Actually, the original lyrics are cooler - smoking smiley

Date: May 27, 2020 23:53

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
CJFP

All we know is that there were references to the plague smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2020 23:57

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
CJFP

All we know is that there were references to the plague smiling smiley

I remember when this website had the plague - Covid-19 Thread spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I actually miss that thread .

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 28, 2020 01:48

Doxa

"Living In A Ghost Town" has now 5,9m plays in Spotify. That makes it #69 in their all-time list.

If compared to their latest efforts, it is lurking behind "Doom & Gloom" (6,3m, #67) and still three single/video-released cuts from BLUE & LONESOME are above it (and clearly): "Hate To See You Go" (11,6m, #44), "Just Your Fool" (10,5m, #52) and "Ride 'Em On Down" (9,9m, #53). These are somehow comparable because they have released within Spotify era.

But just to see how little worth the latter-day Stones are popularitywise, there are only these other three cuts released after TATTOO YOU that are any longer above it:
#59 Out of Control 7,4m
#62 Love is Strong 6,8m

So none of these tracks had the opportunity to gain from the hype of a new release but are based on their catalogue value. Spotify is cruel business - so typical to our times - the bigger get bigger, and the rest just relatively speaking smaller - the gap just increases. True classics, the evergreens just shine brighter than ever. That is what people listen, nothing else. At the time I checked the views of "Living In A Ghost Town", after being out for a week or so (April 30), and it had 2,0 m views, "Paint It Black" had 422 million views - now the latter has 431 million views. So within this time frame of four weeks or so "Paint It Black" is listened 9 million times against 4 millions of "Living In A Ghost Town" - their brandnew single!. Also their other TOP FIVE songs have made better than it during this time frame: "Satisfaction" 7m, "Gimme Shelter" 6m, "Sympathy For The Devil" 6m, "Start Me Up" 6m. War horses, baby!

- Doxa

some deep truth about our times here in general beside the fact that warhorses are, well, warhorses, me think, thanks Doxa
the bigger gets bigger
I believe this math would be even more evident if you compare the stones with some other contemporary hit makers
that is why i dont like the "philosophy" of spotify (and the likes) and its algorithms: the illusion of an infinite possibility to listen to anything, any sound being produced anywhere, anytime, while, in fact, it is a well oiled machine to channel more and more of the same sounds to your ears.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-28 02:06 by maumau.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 28, 2020 09:50

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
This thread's just getting warmed up - more remixes and the official physical copies coming soon, not to mention the dozens (hundreds?) of cover versions on youtube...
Only one song, and the first original song in nearly eight years...might have to wait eight more before there's another, so might as well make the most of it.
I'm a ghost....................

Mr. Hairball .. you dig the new song .. it's apparent. In fact.. you like more than I do. You're impressed ... we can tell.

So now do you believe The Stones can still deliver the goods if they ever finish / release an album? Just curious is all?

Rock on

IB -

Yeah I like it, and as I said above might as well enjoy it for all it's worth - could be another eight years before they release another tune. And chances are this was the best of the bunch they've been working on.
As for an entire album ever getting finished? Lets just say I seriously have my doubts but I've been wrong before. And if they do, based on the last several albums there's guaranteed to be some real clunkers.
So yeah, they might be able to deliver a couple of more decent tunes, but for every decent tune there's about five or six that are crap - just my opinion, but they probably realize it also.
Then again, maybe they could slap together another covers album if they hit another wall - would be better than a hodgepodge of junk (w/one or two decent tunes), and also better than nothing.

You are quite an optimist on one hand but quite a pessimist on the other ha.

I would find it pretty coincidental that the song that was inline with COVID just as well happened to be the best of the bunch (out of 40 songs). I think the rest of the album has good potential .. though I must admit .. I think LIAGT needed to be a tad different and a bit more sluggish .. Its not bad .. Ima just not crazy over it. Dare I say .. a bit .. mmmmm boring as a single but it could of served well on an album IMO. I think that was it's intent .. I dont think it
was ever intended to be a single.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 28, 2020 14:44

if they were touring and performing LIAGT... this would be a much bigger hit than it is. Its a good song.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2020 16:24

LIAGT is, of course, not a hit song by any means. Even if the majority here believes so. It has one advantage though. It's a theme song .
Not a happy theme song, but anyway. So, it will be aired on radio a lot.

Date: May 28, 2020 17:43

LIAGT is not an hit at all though, unfortunately imo, it has been produced and released thinking it might be.
Not so bad anyway, exspecially the radio edit, to my ears. like the reggae vibe

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 28, 2020 18:17

maumau
Doxa

#59 Out of Control 7,4m
#62 Love is Strong 6,8m

- Doxa

some deep truth about our times here in general beside the fact that warhorses are, well, warhorses, me think, thanks Doxa
the bigger gets bigger
I believe this math would be even more evident if you compare the stones with some other contemporary hit makers
that is why i dont like the "philosophy" of spotify (and the likes) and its algorithms: the illusion of an infinite possibility to listen to anything, any sound being produced anywhere, anytime, while, in fact, it is a well oiled machine to channel more and more of the same sounds to your ears.[/quote)

It is a personal choice what we want to listen to. I believe streaming makes available all kinds of music which is fantastic. Now if I decide that I want to listen to "Hot Rocks" only it is my choice. It can 't be a case of :look what you made me do.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-28 18:24 by rollmops.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 28, 2020 18:24

I've never believed it was a "hit single", and I still haven't heard it on any radio station. I've always just thought of it as a great Stones tune, and much better than the extras on GRRRR and Licks.
The GRRR tracks are faux rock and roll caricatures of the Stones, while the Licks tracks whimper along and are nearly completely forgettable...including Keith's snoozer tune (thought that's the best of the bunch imo).

Going back to my very first impression in this thread after listening to the 30 second teaser clip of this tune: [www.youtube.com]

"...first 15 seconds I hear a bit of a Harlem Shuffle vibe followed by a bit of almost a reggae dub vibe...have to hear the whole thing....I think I'm gonna love this...."

Now that I've heard it probably a hundred times in full including various edits, etc., yeah, it's a good one and one for the ages in more ways than one. I love it.
Soul -reggae - r&b grooves Stones style...nothing faux rock and roll about it, or a caricature of the Stones in any way...lyrics might not be the greatest, but not the worst either.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 28, 2020 18:25

Maindefender

Ships on or around May 29, 2020

Now updated to 12-Jun-2020: [TheRollingStonesShop.com] .

Date: May 29, 2020 00:12

Hairball
I've never believed it was a "hit single", and I still haven't heard it on any radio station. I've always just thought of it as a great Stones tune, and much better than the extras on GRRRR and Licks.
The GRRR tracks are faux rock and roll caricatures of the Stones, while the Licks tracks whimper along and are nearly completely forgettable...including Keith's snoozer tune (thought that's the best of the bunch imo).

Going back to my very first impression in this thread after listening to the 30 second teaser clip of this tune: [www.youtube.com]

"...first 15 seconds I hear a bit of a Harlem Shuffle vibe followed by a bit of almost a reggae dub vibe...have to hear the whole thing....I think I'm gonna love this...."

Now that I've heard it probably a hundred times in full including various edits, etc., yeah, it's a good one and one for the ages in more ways than one. I love it.
Soul -reggae - r&b grooves Stones style...nothing faux rock and roll about it, or a caricature of the Stones in any way...lyrics might not be the greatest, but not the worst either.

oh dear Hairball, I am about to surrender, I do will surrender if you, in all frankness, you tell me that that whoo ooh hoo chorus is not a mock of a grat stones chorus, it is not ridicule

mind you: I am listening to cokefilled mick singing the hoo whoo hoo hoo i miss you babe on live in texas 1978.......................................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-29 00:13 by maumau.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 29, 2020 02:20

Well maumau - I don't think it's quite a mockery of a great Stones chorus ala Miss You live '78 as you seem to think so, however if you hear it that way then I respect your opinion.
That said, as I mentioned waaaay back in this thread, I think the Whoa oh whoa oh part was partly inspired by the chanting guards of the witches castle in the Wizard of Oz:
Wo-eee-o...we-ooooh-oh....Wo-eee-o...we-ooooh-oh...., and that might be part of the reason I love the new tune. smiling smiley

Date: May 29, 2020 02:29

Hairball
Well maumau - I don't think it's quite a mockery of a great Stones chorus ala Miss You live '78 as you seem to think so, however if you hear it that way then I respect your opinion.
That said, as I mentioned waaaay back in this thread, I think the Whoa oh whoa oh part was partly inspired by the chanting guards of the witches castle in the Wizard of Oz:
Wo-eee-o...we-ooooh-oh....Wo-eee-o...we-ooooh-oh...., and that might be part of the reason I love the new tune. smiling smiley

Grand Hairball Jr. must've been around during passage post!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 29, 2020 02:30

.... i fought it was da ghost chant of Sympathy ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 29, 2020 03:08

Hairball

smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2020 06:22

Rip This
if they were touring and performing LIAGT... this would be a much bigger hit than it is. Its a good song.

That may be quite subjective. Spotify came out in April of 2006. The Stones were still touring A BIGGER BANG. Not sure how the singles from ABB's numbers compare to now... perhaps Doom And Gloom/One More Shot are better to look at, if there's a way to look at release time compared to tour time.

Which might bring up a possible interesting point: do the numbers for songs, singles, I guess, the hits, for bands and artists that go on tour, regardless of a new album, go up because of a tour? Say Def Leppard, Journey, The Cult, Guns'N'Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Zac Brown... anyone, really, that's had a few albums, maybe a greatest hits album or two, one might think. All of them have their warhorses...

Is there any way to find that out?

It's so different now than, say, 1983 or even 1993, when a band/artist would put out a single, an album, then 2 or 3 more singles... it was all based on sales and radio play.

Sales weren't exactly solid because of orders vs actual sales... and radio play was a bit weird, the pay to play thing. Nowadays everything is counted, at least online, what, in real time for real?

I'm certainly not convinced of that - if I mistakenly click on an Elton John song, as far as I know, it counts as a play (stream), whether it's Spotify or YouTube or whatever else.

If you're listing to LIAGT on Spotify and half way through the song something happens - a phone call, your red beans and rice are boiling over, someone stops by, and the song ends... and the next song is, say, Doom And Gloom, or maybe it's someone else, it counts as being played/listened to.

Does the song "being listened to" etc count as one stream if it's played all the way through or simply tapped on and, oh, 20 seconds in, I didn't mean to, go to something else...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 4, 2020 12:52

Right at the start of this thread, mention was made of comparisons (none really, other than a word or two in the title) with The Specials single of a similar name.

That single has now been listed in the UK Guardian as the second best No1 single ever.

For more... [www.theguardian.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 4, 2020 14:42

Doxa

"Living In A Ghost Town" has now attracted 6.6 million streams in Spotify, making it #65 in their all-time list, having just passed "Not Fade Away", "Harlem Shuffle", "Doom & Gloom" and the all-time fan favourite "Streets of Love". Soon, within a week or so, it will catch "Lady Jane", "Love in Vain" and "Love Is Strong". However, there is still a way to go reach the numbers of three best streamed BLUE & LONESOME songs. Isn't this sexy, huh?

However, within this week or so since I last posted, its 0,7 million views are not that spectacle if compared how the top songs are doing - their all-time numero uno, and also the all-time most streamed song from a year 1966, "Paint it Black", had about two million streams... (another way of putting it is that their top classical hits are incredibly popular nowadays, even by the standards of streaming business of today).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-04 14:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2020 14:47

CaptainCorella
Right at the start of this thread, mention was made of comparisons (none really, other than a word or two in the title) with The Specials single of a similar name.

That single has now been listed in the UK Guardian as the second best No1 single ever.

I see, thanks. The Rolling Stones on spot 26 with Satisfaction. Glad to see some Swedish representation on the list. On spot number 82 (Robyn), 32 (Max Martin) and 9 (ABBA)...

Date: June 4, 2020 15:10

CaptainCorella

The Guardian has taken a classical English attitude in making charts... the great good old tradition of NME, Melody Maker, etc. to emphasize not so obvious British acts by the cost of the acts making it too big internationally. The Specials song is a great one indeed, but c'mon... it is no "Satisfaction"... (I wonder how much the new single by the Stones helped to remember the significance of that old Specials hit.)

However, making it a bit more poshy English, they should have picked up "The Last Time" from The Stones - it actually sold more copies in UK than "Satisfaction" did, and it having such a breakthrough appeal there domestically as "Satisfaction" did internationally (read: in America)...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-04 15:14 by Doxa.

Date: June 4, 2020 15:49

Hmm.. since the objective quantity rules over the subjective quality in defining the greatness of music, I checked how "Ghost Town" by The Specials is doing in Spotify these days - the single according to the respected Guardian is ranked as the second best number one single in UK ever.

Well, it has 24,5 million streams by now. That would make it a respectable #24 in Rolling Stones spotify all-time chart (their own number two). The best ranking Rolling Stones number one UK hit singles are in a totally different level: "Paint It Black" with its 433,1 million streams and "Satisfaction" with its 307,8 million streams, both being the biggest streamed songs from their year of release (1966 and 1965). The Guardian might not rank the Stones pretty high, but the people listening Spotify do.

Anyway, this recent recognition by the Guardian might give some boost to the streams of "Ghost Town", and who knows, even the new Stones single might have helped to give it to some more attention by now (at least it did that for me and seemingly for many others here as well)...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-04 16:04 by Doxa.

Date: June 4, 2020 18:22

Such an appropriate song for these current times, with broader recognition it's appeal would multiply. For me, it's a Stones song I don't mind singing out loud since maybe Thief of The Night.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 4, 2020 19:58

Doxa
Hmm.. since the objective quantity rules over the subjective quality in defining the greatness of music, I checked how "Ghost Town" by The Specials is doing in Spotify these days - the single according to the respected Guardian is ranked as the second best number one single in UK ever.

Well, it has 24,5 million streams by now. That would make it a respectable #24 in Rolling Stones spotify all-time chart (their own number two). The best ranking Rolling Stones number one UK hit singles are in a totally different level: "Paint It Black" with its 433,1 million streams and "Satisfaction" with its 307,8 million streams, both being the biggest streamed songs from their year of release (1966 and 1965). The Guardian might not rank the Stones pretty high, but the people listening Spotify do.

Anyway, this recent recognition by the Guardian might give some boost to the streams of "Ghost Town", and who knows, even the new Stones single might have helped to give it to some more attention by now (at least it did that for me and seemingly for many others here as well)...

- Doxa

Here you go, Doxa. Indeed, it's the audience that matters any and every time. Newspaper reporters are among the most subjective people one can think of. What matters to them is that as many people as possible read their story/opinion. Sometimes it results in a good article, but much too often not. Newspapers were originally created to report about news, not opinions. But just like many DJs/VJs etc., too many are no longer entertaining the audience but are merely promoting themselves, making themselves in to "stars".
Living In A Ghost Town is liked, loved, adored by a fast majority of Stones fans and even non-Stones fans. And that's what really matters.
smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home