Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 22:56

LeonidP
JordyLicks96
MisterDDDD
JordyLicks96

They hit the famous wall on a track titled, "Get Out Of My Way." The song title, along with another track called, "Drive Me Too Hard" appeared in the BLUE & LONESOME deluxe edition booklet.

No idea obv., but seems "Get Out Of My Way" may have been an excellent choice for a B-side to LIAGT cool smiley

Also, for if/when it is released claiming first on "GOOMW"

I wonder if we'll ever get any of these other songs they've recorded for this new album in some shape or form:

Bad Luck Hideaway
Bottom Of My Heart
Drive Me Too Hard
Fool's Paradise
Get Out Of My Way
Never There

Already all released, under different names:

Hide Away (Mick)
Stealing My Heart
Driving Too Fast
Fool To Cry
Get Off Of My Cloud
Never Make a Saint of Me

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Love this LeonidP!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 16, 2020 02:39

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2020 04:19

Glam Descendant
[www.rollingstone.com]

Hmmm..that video might be creepier than any of the previous ones...gaudy colorful balls that look like blobs of the coronavirus bouncing through the empty cityscapes!!! eye popping smiley

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 16, 2020 06:20

“It wasn’t written for now, but it was just one of those odd things,” Jagger previously said of “Living in a Ghost Town,” which he and Keith Richards penned more than a year ago. “It was written about being in a place which was full of life but is now bereft of life, so to speak. … I was just jamming on the guitar, and wrote it really quickly in, like, 10 minutes.” RollingStone.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 06:20 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2020 06:51

But then it was mentioned somewhere that Mick rewrote some of the lyrics (or added new ones) to make the tune more relevant to the crisis...I think he even said that himself in one of his interviews.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 16, 2020 14:07

From the interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music:

“It wasn’t written for now but it was written about being in a place which was full of life, and then now there’s all bereft of life, so to speak. And when I went back to what I’d written originally lyrically, it was all full of plague terms and things like that. I never actually used that, but it was all there. It was very close to the times that we’re living through now. But Keith (Richards) and I both had the idea that we should release it. But I said, ‘Well I’ve got to rewrite it’. Some of it is not going to work and some of it was a bit weird and a bit too dark. So I slightly rewrote it. I didn’t have to rewrite very much to be honest. It’s very much how I originally did it. I was just jamming."

[iorr.org]

Date: May 16, 2020 14:34

That is really ironic.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 17, 2020 10:39

I love 'Living in a Ghost Town'. It has the three ingredients essential to any good rock song - rhythm, tension and energy. Most of all it doesn't sound forced, When Plundered My Soul came out it reminded me how the Stones at their best sounded effortless, and how much of ABB had sounded forced e.g Oh Not Not you Again. LIAGT comes over as relaxed and i love how it builds up and breaks down. Really good stuff, and I can't wait for an album if it is all this good. I remember buying 'Some Girls' when I was very nearly 16 and thinking 'well, this is obviously their last album cos they're so old' (!) To have the band still out there, 42 years later, even in a semi-retired basis making music as good as this and B&L is astonishing.

Re: LIAGT Remix Just Released
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 17, 2020 13:49

Rockman
Can ya imagine Keith playin' it to Muddy Waters ....

Love it ... that's a good test for anything!

Date: May 17, 2020 14:51

georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

#22 on HOT ROCK SONGS (Run: 30-3-22)
#16 on ADULT ALTERNATIVE SONGS - AAA (Run: 21-16)
#33 on ROCK AIRPLAY (Run: 44-34-33)
#5 on DIGITAL ROCK SALES (Run: 3-1-5 - Sales 23,000 total)

Also Hot Rocks remains on the Billboard 200 at #139 with 7,000 sales/streams units (331 weeks on chart)

So it’s not a hit in the USA. The Billboard chart is really the only one that counts isn’t it? It could be No.1 in the Songs with the Word “Ghost” in the Title chart but who cares?

Are you aware of how it’s doing in other national charts?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2020 16:01

bye bye johnny
From the interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music:

“It wasn’t written for now but it was written about being in a place which was full of life, and then now there’s all bereft of life, so to speak. And when I went back to what I’d written originally lyrically, it was all full of plague terms and things like that. I never actually used that, but it was all there. It was very close to the times that we’re living through now. But Keith (Richards) and I both had the idea that we should release it. But I said, ‘Well I’ve got to rewrite it’. Some of it is not going to work and some of it was a bit weird and a bit too dark. So I slightly rewrote it. I didn’t have to rewrite very much to be honest. It’s very much how I originally did it. I was just jamming."

[iorr.org]

No, Mick: lie. Lie about rewriting it. Tell us you rewrote ALL OF IT. In 5 minutes.

Date: May 17, 2020 16:07

SonofHarlemShuffler
georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

Also Hot Rocks remains on the Billboard 200 at #139 with 7,000 sales/streams units (331 weeks on chart)

So it’s not a hit in the USA. The Billboard chart is really the only one that counts isn’t it? It could be No.1 in the Songs with the Word “Ghost” in the Title chart but who cares?

Technically that's probably right. For LP/albums, regardless of format, the Top 200 is what counts, or used to. I don't know if an EP would count.

I just looked at the Top 100, a combination of sales, streams and, what, if someone Googled it, I dunno, for singles, and it's not there.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 17, 2020 16:24

SonofHarlemShuffler
georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

It could never be a hit in the US in the way charts are constructed these days, 80% of the main data is from streaming and rock acts can't compete with R&B/Rap artists, their streaming numbers are 8-10x higher than any rock act, I mean the whole Drake's new album charted on the Billboard Hot 100, the 15 songs on it... 15 songs in a single week...and he charted 222 songs on the chart so far and just to show some perspective, the Stones charted 57 with almost 3x longevity.

[www.billboard.com]

The Stones' single was #106 in the bubbling under Hot 100, that's great since it was the #3 most popular rock song, and that shows how low is rock music among the mainstream public since the #3 most popular rock song in the US can't even reach the Hot 100.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 17, 2020 16:48

Yep, pretty sobering...

So now we don't even know how it's "bubbling" ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 16:48

bakersfield
I love 'Living in a Ghost Town'. It has the three ingredients essential to any good rock song - rhythm, tension and energy. Most of all it doesn't sound forced, When Plundered My Soul came out it reminded me how the Stones at their best sounded effortless, and how much of ABB had sounded forced e.g Oh Not Not you Again. LIAGT comes over as relaxed and i love how it builds up and breaks down. Really good stuff, and I can't wait for an album if it is all this good. I remember buying 'Some Girls' when I was very nearly 16 and thinking 'well, this is obviously their last album cos they're so old' (!) To have the band still out there, 42 years later, even in a semi-retired basis making music as good as this and B&L is astonishing.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 17, 2020 17:00

SonofHarlemShuffler

Well it was on #4 in Belgium

Date: May 17, 2020 17:48

georgelicks
SonofHarlemShuffler
georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

It could never be a hit in the US in the way charts are constructed these days, 80% of the main data is from streaming and rock acts can't compete with R&B/Rap artists, their streaming numbers are 8-10x higher than any rock act, I mean the whole Drake's new album charted on the Billboard Hot 100, the 15 songs on it... 15 songs in a single week...and he charted 222 songs on the chart so far and just to show some perspective, the Stones charted 57 with almost 3x longevity.

[www.billboard.com]

The Stones' single was #106 in the bubbling under Hot 100, that's great since it was the #3 most popular rock song, and that shows how low is rock music among the mainstream public since the #3 most popular rock song in the US can't even reach the Hot 100.

It seems quite clear that the charts have become a moot point since they move so much, it's not flavor of the month, it's flavor of the week.

I don't know anyone that listens to (or likes) Drake. If they do they never mention his name. I look at the Top 200 and I might know one or two here and there but none of that is anything I know anyone listens to on purpose. I hear stuff my girlfriend listens to on Alexa and some of it is, it's all over the place, she knows some of it somehow: some girl with a real breathy delivery that I have yet to figure out what she's saying, then it's Annie Lennox being channeled by Lady Gaga... and then some girl going on about I Could Steal Your Boyfriend, which is cheeky but has about as much depth as a @#$%& bad Polaroid picture... maybe a cheesy Elton John song, then some moaning "R&B" "singer" that sounds all mushy and then says, well, words that are censored here but mostly things of the vagina etc... I don't know if it's considered rap or not... at least that's what I can recall. What rap I do hear is extremely untuneful. I don't know what "station" she has it on, it plays all kinds of stuff.

A lot of it sounds disposable.

The rap music is really discouraging: I don't hear anything worth a damn in terms of a hook, just these big stupid bass beats that sound stupid; the lyrics are all posing and too fast and or make no sense, no one can seem to actually be in key... it's not MUSIC. They're not MUSICIANS. It's not TALENT. It's spray paint "art". It's @#$%& garbage.

If that's what the Stones are "competing" with then I'm glad they're not on the charts. What a load of bullshit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-17 19:10 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 17, 2020 18:06

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
SonofHarlemShuffler
georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

[www.billboard.com]

It seems quite clear that the charts have become a moot point since they move so much, it's not flavor of the month, it's flavor of the week.

I don't know anyone that listens to (or likes) Drake. If they do they never mention his name. I look at the Top 200 and I might now one or two here and there but none of that is anything I know anyone listens to on purpose. I hear stuff my girlfriend listens to on Alexa and some of it is, it's all over the place, she knows some of it somehow: some girl with a real breathy delivery that I have yet to figure out what she's saying, then it's Annie Lennox being channeled by Lady Gaga... and then some girl going on about I Could Steal Your Boyfriend, which is cheeky but has about as much depth as a @#$%& bad Polaroid picture... maybe a cheesy Elton John song, then some moaning "R&B" "singer" that sounds all mushy and then says, well, words that are censored here but mostly things of the vagina etc... I don't know if it's considered rap or not... at least that's what I can recall. What rap I do hear is extremely untuneful. I don't know what "station" she has it on, it plays all kinds of stuff.

The rap music is really discouraging: I don't hear anything worth a damn in terms of a hook, just these big stupid bass beats that sound stupid; the lyrics are all posing and too fast and or make no sense, no one can seem to actually be in key... it's not MUSIC. They're not MUSICIANS. It's not TALENT. It's spray paint "art". It's @#$%& garbage.

If that's what the Stones are "competing" with then I'm glad they're not on the charts. What a load of bullshit.

That’s pretty much what I think too,GasLightStreet. Thanks to you,georgelicks and everyone else who responded to my post.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 17, 2020 18:20

Lol what’s next, 5G tower conspiracies?

Date: May 17, 2020 19:13

Bastion
Lol what’s next, 5G tower conspiracies?

Apparently O2 is responsible for... I'm not even sure if I've got this right - for spewing O2 into the atmosphere? Some English wank on FB... so dumb.

But yes, as pointed out in, I think, the COVID thread, how 5G is responsible for COVID... except for countries that don't have 5G.

Date: May 17, 2020 19:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-17 19:19 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:55

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
SonofHarlemShuffler
georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

[www.billboard.com]

I don't know anyone that listens to (or likes) Drake. If they do they never mention his name. I look at the Top 200 and I might know one or two here and there but none of that is anything I know anyone listens to on purpose. I hear stuff my girlfriend listens to on Alexa and some of it is, it's all over the place, she knows some of it somehow: some girl with a real breathy delivery that I have yet to figure out what she's saying, then it's Annie Lennox being channeled by Lady Gaga... and then some girl going on about I Could Steal Your Boyfriend, which is cheeky but has about as much depth as a @#$%& bad Polaroid picture... maybe a cheesy Elton John song, then some moaning "R&B" "singer" that sounds all mushy and then says, well, words that are censored here but mostly things of the vagina etc... I don't know if it's considered rap or not... at least that's what I can recall. What rap I do hear is extremely untuneful. I don't know what "station" she has it on, it plays all kinds of stuff.

Sounding old here.

Date: May 18, 2020 01:40

WelshEdge1
GasLightStreet
georgelicks
SonofHarlemShuffler
georgelicks
Third Week on US charts:

[www.billboard.com]

Sounding old here.

I was specific about what I'm hearing recently. How does not liking that make me "sound old"? Because something isn't good? That's a laugh.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:51

GasLightStreet
I don't know anyone that listens to (or likes) Drake. If they do they never mention his name.

Well, someone listen to him, he has 7 SEVEN albums on this week's US Top 200 chart and 15 SONGS on the US Hot 100, that's astonishing and, at this rate, he will break every chart record in the US in less than a year.

Date: May 18, 2020 02:15

georgelicks
GasLightStreet
I don't know anyone that listens to (or likes) Drake. If they do they never mention his name.

Well, someone listen to him, he has 7 SEVEN albums on this week's US Top 200 chart and 15 SONGS on the US Hot 100, that's astonishing and, at this rate, he will break every chart record in the US in less than a year.

LOL I know that! I get that. That figure you gave of the Stones having 55 or whatever charting singles in 300 years vs Drake having 222 songs charting in, I forget, 10 years or whatever, that says A LOT about how it's changed - and how it doesn't really mean anything, because it's gotten so whimsical - Oh I'll just record 18 new songs and just put em online.

There's no mystery with that way. The days of the single, album, more singles in a year or two build up for the life of an album have dwindled drastically. Or it's by choice now and not necessary. Which is cool in one aspect - put it out there. But it maybe takes some of the art out of it.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 18, 2020 20:06

Has anyone besides me heard the radio edit with a distinct ending rather than the fade out?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 20:54

bakersfield

I really like the way you describe LIAGT (and I agree) and how you experience(d) ABB. It's funny you take ONNYA as an example, because I remember Mick saying at Juilliard School in NY (where they played it as part of their BB world tour press conference) "well I think this one needs some more work" (I should look up what he exactly said). And when ABB was released I wondered what additional work they did, I couldn't find any! So maybe they (Universal?) were a bit in a rush to release the album and others told them it was great.
Personally I like about 80% of ABB and think/feel it's underrated. Maybe because my history with the band is a bit longer. I'm only 5 years behind the Glimmers, so "old in 1978" was certainly not applicable. I honestly thought they were steaming up with "energy man Ronnie" making the others feeling young again. They still are, aren't they? winking smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 23:46

donvis
Has anyone besides me heard the radio edit with a distinct ending rather than the fade out?

I have not yet heard it, but I would love to, and I’m really hoping it will be one of the “extra versions” they may tack on to the CD come May 29th.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 19, 2020 00:01

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
GasLightStreet

LOL I know that! I get that. That figure you gave of the Stones having 55 or whatever charting singles in 300 years vs Drake having 222 songs charting in, I forget, 10 years or whatever, that says A LOT about how it's changed - and how it doesn't really mean anything, because it's gotten so whimsical - Oh I'll just record 18 new songs and just put em online.

There's no mystery with that way. The days of the single, album, more singles in a year or two build up for the life of an album have dwindled drastically. Or it's by choice now and not necessary. Which is cool in one aspect - put it out there. But it maybe takes some of the art out of it.

Well if you could stream music in the 60s and 70s the Stones would have had a billion more streams than Drake by now

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 11:33

Well, we all need someone we can stream on.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home