Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2020 00:12

They actually played it on the radio today (it's a theme song so I guess it's aired a lot). I don't like the intro but I like the part where Keith's guitar fills comes in.
But then Sir Michael's rap at the minute mark comes in and we're back to reality again. The added reggae effects do not impress me either. The Stones never were a reggae band to me.
So there you are: A mediocre reggae (-ish) song with some good intentions. That's my take, anyway. But don't worry, I know I'm in the minority here.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 11, 2020 00:43

GasLightStreet
Four Stone Walls
GasLightStreet
The breakdown, with the janky guitar and the keyboard bouncing around, and then one strum of what sounds like a hollowbody guitar that gently comes in before Charlie comes back in, is a fantastic aspect of the tune: it has elements of the keyboard break (even better in the remix) of Miss You, while also having a bit of 'use the studio' layering from UNDERCOVER: they're paying attention to the production for what seems like the first time in, well, a lot of the songs have basically been a carpet bomb since 1983.

Laugh... is the closest thing I can think of that isn't, and then you get into some of the other well produced songs like How Can I Stop, Thief In The Night, You Don't Have To Mean It, ASMB?, Brand New Car, Blinded By Love, Break The Spell, I'll include Harlem Shuffle in this because it does sound like the only song they really worked on for that shyste of an album, Feel On Baby, Too Much Blood, All The Way Down and Tie You Up where you can tell they paid a good bit of attention to what was going on.

Loops ...

I agree with your first paragraph, strongly.

Wrt Dirty Work Album I think they worked on' quite a lot of the tracks - to good effect Imo. HS, One Hit, Winning Ugly Back to Zero. Others are notso 'worked on ' but they are spontaneous and fun .... Dirty Work, Had It With You, and I like, Hold Back.

Whatever you think Of DW album we can agree that songs don't have to be 'worked on' to have value/authenticity etc.

The production on DIRTY WORK (as well as other albums, of course, from the late 1970s through 2005) is all over the place. Harlem Shuffle is the solidest song on the LP - it has the best most thoughtful attention to detail production of the album. Others are just carpet bombs, where the production requires no thought (Rough Justice, Summer Romance, Dirty Work, Lowdown), the only thought that went into it was getting it on tape (Hold Back, Hold On To Your Hat, Flip The Switch, It Won't Take Long). They've done that on a lot of albums.

Oddly enough, Back To Zero has pretty good production on it.

Part of the issue is some of the songs don't really work regardless, which is a majority of DIRTY WORK. The mix could've helped but it's pretty bad as well - even the mastering didn't help.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 11, 2020 00:48

GasLightStreet
Four Stone Walls
GasLightStreet
The breakdown, with the janky guitar and the keyboard bouncing around, and then one strum of what sounds like a hollowbody guitar that gently comes in before Charlie comes back in, is a fantastic aspect of the tune: it has elements of the keyboard break (even better in the remix) of Miss You, while also having a bit of 'use the studio' layering from UNDERCOVER: they're paying attention to the production for what seems like the first time in, well, a lot of the songs have basically been a carpet bomb since 1983.

Laugh... is the closest thing I can think of that isn't, and then you get into some of the other well produced songs like How Can I Stop, Thief In The Night, You Don't Have To Mean It, ASMB?, Brand New Car, Blinded By Love, Break The Spell, I'll include Harlem Shuffle in this because it does sound like the only song they really worked on for that shyste of an album, Feel On Baby, Too Much Blood, All The Way Down and Tie You Up where you can tell they paid a good bit of attention to what was going on.

Loops ...

I agree with your first paragraph, strongly.

Wrt Dirty Work Album I think they worked on' quite a lot of the tracks - to good effect Imo. HS, One Hit, Winning Ugly Back to Zero. Others are notso 'worked on ' but they are spontaneous and fun .... Dirty Work, Had It With You, and I like, Hold Back.

Whatever you think Of DW album we can agree that songs don't have to be 'worked on' to have value/authenticity etc.

The production on DIRTY WORK (as well as other albums, of course, from the late 1970s through 2005) is all over the place. Harlem Shuffle is the solidest song on the LP - it has the best most thoughtful attention to detail production of the album. Others are just carpet bombs, where the production requires no thought (Rough Justice, Summer Romance, Dirty Work, Lowdown), the only thought that went into it was getting it on tape (Hold Back, Hold On To Your Hat, Flip The Switch, It Won't Take Long). They've done that on a lot of albums.

Oddly enough, Back To Zero has pretty good production on it.

Part of the issue is some of the songs don't really work regardless, which is a majority of DIRTY WORK. The mix could've helped but it's pretty bad as well - even the mastering didn't help.

Interesting expression, " carpet bomb"

I must love Carpet bombs!

Satisfaction must be a Carpet Bomb.

And The Last Time.

And I love Hold Back - and would rather listen to that than any track on Undercover.

It means something It Means a Lot.

But do like new single - also means a lot and DOES have a freshness had some, lots of, grad instinctive touches.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 11, 2020 13:30

doitywoik
OK, finally made it to listen to the song on proper headphones and now it sounds better – but also worse. angry smiley The track is full of clippings, very incompetent production job! Brickwalled to the max and beyond … all the crackling and clicks you can hear almost constantly are not some futuristic percussion effects but simply cut-off wave forms. It's appalling to hear (and see) such a thing in a puportedly professional production! This wouldn't even happen to amateurs. Whoever in their team is responsible for this should immediately be fired – no, wait, what if it was Mick himself eye popping smiley … LOL

Here's a screenshot from WaveLab, shortly after three seconds into the song. No matter where you look into the file you find such clippings. The file is the official .wav file I bought from qobuz.com. They charged me 2 EUR for this. I should ask my money back.

As for Mick's voice, I don't really hear a vocoder. His lead vocals are often doubled unisono an octave down. Whether by himself or someone else I can't tell (and I'm not eager to find out).

Here are some vocoder examples. The first one is from a 1965 German SciFi series, the countdown starting at ca. 9". My first time to hear a vocoded voice (when I saw the replay in 1967): [youtu.be] , a demo: [www.youtube.com] , a fun one: [www.youtube.com] , and Kraftwerk used vocoders constantly: [www.youtube.com] [www.youtube.com]

Hello,
great audio analysis you have made. I think that the version that is available right now is a "special edition" for itunes and all the streamings available. With a focus on the drums and bass, with some compression added.

I expect to have a better (unaldultered) version of the song later on with the phisical release.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 11, 2020 17:18

MisterDDDD
doitywoik
OK, finally made it to listen to the song on proper headphones and now it sounds better – but also worse. angry smiley The track is full of clippings, very incompetent production job! Brickwalled to the max and beyond … ...

No offense, but YAWN.
Sounds great to these ears. Particularly given the fashion it had to be created.

Eggzactly - no doubt the flaws were found as a result of viewing thru one of those wave analyzer tools, visually ... rather than just enjoying audio-ally (not a word, i guess!)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 11, 2020 17:20

Four Stone Walls
...And I love Hold Back - and would rather listen to that than any track on Undercover...

To me it's an awful tune, but I guess it's cool that someone likes it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2020 18:21

Was gonna find the HONK thread to update it now that Living In A Ghost Town is on it but I gave up after page 20.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 11, 2020 18:25

GasLightStreet
Was gonna find the HONK thread to update it now that Living In A Ghost Town is on it but I gave up after page 20.
[iorr.org]

Date: May 11, 2020 18:28

MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
[iorr.org]

I searched.

How the hell did you find it? I didn't know there were a few merged threads either.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 11, 2020 18:48

marquess
doitywoik
OK, finally made it to listen to the song on proper headphones and now it sounds better – but also worse. angry smiley The track is full of clippings, very incompetent production job! Brickwalled to the max and beyond … all the crackling and clicks you can hear almost constantly are not some futuristic percussion effects but simply cut-off wave forms. It's appalling to hear (and see) such a thing in a puportedly professional production! This wouldn't even happen to amateurs. Whoever in their team is responsible for this should immediately be fired – no, wait, what if it was Mick himself eye popping smiley … LOL

Here's a screenshot from WaveLab, shortly after three seconds into the song. No matter where you look into the file you find such clippings. The file is the official .wav file I bought from qobuz.com. They charged me 2 EUR for this. I should ask my money back.

As for Mick's voice, I don't really hear a vocoder. His lead vocals are often doubled unisono an octave down. Whether by himself or someone else I can't tell (and I'm not eager to find out).

Here are some vocoder examples. The first one is from a 1965 German SciFi series, the countdown starting at ca. 9". My first time to hear a vocoded voice (when I saw the replay in 1967): [youtu.be] , a demo: [www.youtube.com] , a fun one: [www.youtube.com] , and Kraftwerk used vocoders constantly: [www.youtube.com] [www.youtube.com]

Hello,
great audio analysis you have made. I think that the version that is available right now is a "special edition" for itunes and all the streamings available. With a focus on the drums and bass, with some compression added.

I expect to have a better (unaldultered) version of the song later on with the phisical release.

Looking forward to the physical releases - cd and especially vinyl. Considering I already like what I hear on laptop speakers or headphones (whether it's spotify or youtube, etc.), I imagine the overall experience will be even better with the more traditional mediums. Never have been a fan of streaming, digital, etc., etc., so to hold something physical will no doubt elevate everything - even if it's just psychological ha. And if what you say turns out to be true, ie the physical will be unadultered w/out the extra compression, I'm assuming it will sound much better than it already does - it's a win/win imo. Nothing like holding an album, smelling the new vinyl and sleeve, handling with care, and cranking it up on the stereo w/proper speakers...

Date: May 11, 2020 19:03

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
[iorr.org]

I searched.

How the hell did you find it? I didn't know there were a few merged threads either.

Used the search function for "honk", clicked the dropdown box to search messages going back a year, and voila cool smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:49

When Doom & Gloom first came out online it was a rather strange sounding mix (drumwise) also, compared to the GRRR album version, if I remember correctly. If this comes out on a new album in the future, perhaps we will hear a more Charlie Watts like sound, who knows.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 11, 2020 22:06

SomeGuy
When Doom & Gloom first came out online it was a rather strange sounding mix (drumwise) also, compared to the GRRR album version, if I remember correctly. If this comes out on a new album in the future, perhaps we will hear a more Charlie Watts like sound, who knows.

I hope so!!!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 12, 2020 17:52

I think the chance of LIAGT being on a new album had slimmed down since it's now on HONK!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:40

Got an e-mail: Photes requested for a fan video edition.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:49

NilsHolgersson
I think the chance of LIAGT being on a new album had slimmed down since it's now on HONK!

Maybe LIAGT it's the song on which they hitted the famous wall!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:20

To me it's a great, mature Rolling Stones tune. I'm glad I'm one of the ones who likes it. Quit analyzing it, and enjoy it. Even the bass doesn't bug me that bad. It lacks the emotion of the Golden Era, but it does the job at hand.

One new Rolling Stones single is worth more than all the bonus DVD tracks from the post Wyman era.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:57

24FPS
To me it's a great, mature Rolling Stones tune. I'm glad I'm one of the ones who likes it. Quit analyzing it, and enjoy it. Even the bass doesn't bug me that bad. It lacks the emotion of the Golden Era, but it does the job at hand.

One new Rolling Stones single is worth more than all the bonus DVD tracks from the post Wyman era.

thumbs up

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 12, 2020 20:03

KRiffhard
NilsHolgersson

No. That happened much earlier. Basic tracks of LIAGT are from last year, lead vocals from 2020.

Date: May 12, 2020 20:21

When they hit the wall, they recorded Blue & Lonesome instead

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 12, 2020 20:28

KRiffhard
NilsHolgersson

They hit the famous wall on a track titled, "Get Out Of My Way." The song title, along with another track called, "Drive Me Too Hard" appeared in the BLUE & LONESOME deluxe edition booklet.

Date: May 12, 2020 20:32

JordyLicks96

They hit the famous wall on a track titled, "Get Out Of My Way." The song title, along with another track called, "Drive Me Too Hard" appeared in the BLUE & LONESOME deluxe edition booklet.

No idea obv., but seems "Get Out Of My Way" may have been an excellent choice for a B-side to LIAGT cool smiley

Also, for if/when it is released claiming first on "GOOMW"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-12 20:34 by MisterDDDD.

Date: May 12, 2020 20:40

MisterDDDD
JordyLicks96

No idea obv., but seems "Get Out Of My Way" may have been an excellent choice for a B-side to LIAGT cool smiley

I wonder if we'll ever get any of these other songs they've recorded for this new album in some shape or form:

Bad Luck Hideaway
Bottom Of My Heart
Drive Me Too Hard
Fool's Paradise
Get Out Of My Way
Never There

Date: May 12, 2020 20:42

JordyLicks96
KRiffhard
NilsHolgersson

Could those two be old blues numbers, since Hate To See You Go and Blue And Lonesome are on the list as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-12 20:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 12, 2020 20:53

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
KRiffhard
NilsHolgersson

Could those two be old blues numbers, since Hate To See You Go and Blue And Lonesome are on the list as well?

These are indeed new song titles!! Here's Ronnie's setlist painting for their first day back in the studio on December 9th, 2015. "Get Out Of My Way" is a new song title and I'm positive "Drive Me Too Hard" is too.

[www.genesis-publications.com]

Date: May 12, 2020 22:37

JordyLicks96
MisterDDDD
JordyLicks96

I wonder if we'll ever get any of these other songs they've recorded for this new album in some shape or form:

Bad Luck Hideaway
Bottom Of My Heart
Drive Me Too Hard
Fool's Paradise
Get Out Of My Way
Never There

Yeah I think everything will be released one day, the Rolling Stones brand is a money machine and even after the actual band dissolves the company will always keep on releasing vault stuff. And they recorded so much they can go on forever with that.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 12, 2020 23:49

NilsHolgersson

Well, I was just supposing. I don't think there are cd's or vinyl copies of Honk available with the track on it. Maybe another compilation, some day? Perhaps record a new version altogether and add it (or the older version!) as a bonus track on 'the new album'?

The song is good, I think, but the drums do sound a bit unlike Charlie (others have elaborated on possible reasons), which is a pity.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 13, 2020 04:36

JordyLicks96
MisterDDDD
JordyLicks96

Bad Luck Hideaway
Bottom Of My Heart
Drive Me Too Hard
Fool's Paradise
Get Out Of My Way
Never There

Add in "Really Wanna Tell The Truth" and you've got close to an entire album!

Date: May 13, 2020 09:42

Before cruising through the last few posts I thought, Wouldn't it be interesting if LIAGT is a stand alone single?

I think it could be.

When was the last one?

Honky Tonk Women in 1969 as far as I can recall.

I can only guess that they'd include it on the new LP if it fits but otherwise there's no reason to.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2020 10:45

Yeah hope its a stand alone single ....
It's for this time and era of history we're all livin through ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home