Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2020 19:12

powerage78
Some members here wanted to kill me when I spoke of opportunism and desire to monopolize media attention ! Well...smileys with beer

And of course you were right - clearly there was opportunism and desire to monopolize the situation, and the band members practically said so themselves.
It was Keith who said something like "It's a perfect time to unleash the Ghost song...", and then Mick even went the extra mile to rewrite some of the lyrics to make it more relevant to the crisis. Not a big deal or a surprise, and the fans are the lucky recipients. Mick has always been known as a shrewd businessman, so whether it's in bad taste or not, it shouldn't be surprising that he and the band are taking advantage of the situation. And with only one song which now happens to have a coronavirus crisis theme, it shouldn't come as a surprise they're going to milk it for all it's worth with subsequent remixes. Would be nice to see some sort of live performance (Fallon, SNL, etc.), but probably won't happen anytime soon due to the fact everyone's "living in a ghost town", though I suppose they could do an isolated version.

Anyhow, now there's people taking it all a step further by inventing imaginary strategies and schemes that Universal and the Stones supposedly intentionally employed. Seemingly, the idea that it might have just been poor planning from Universal which ultimately resulted in poor chart showing is unfathomable for some. Sounds like grasping at straws, but who knows, maybe it's all part of a grand scheme and a genius strategy lol.

Looking forward to the next chapter of this single song release. Since they're probably going to milk it for all it's worth, might as well try and absorb it as much as possible - even if it's a shitty dance remix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 19:14 by Hairball.

Date: May 7, 2020 19:41

<Anyhow, now there's people taking it all a step further by inventing imaginary strategies and schemes that Universal and the Stones supposedly intentionally employed>

LOL

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 7, 2020 19:43

I still do not care for the new song sorry not to offend those who do. I prefer to listen to One More Shot and Doom and Gloom or Keith's CEH album for any new stones
material or the exile and some girls bonus disks and Blue and Lonesome.

Date: May 7, 2020 20:35

Received an email from Merchbar earlier, and seems yet another version of the vinyl for pre-order.
I don't think that's the cover (?), but price is higher compared to purple and orange version, and looks to be good old fashioned black vinyl. Ghost Town Maybe has a b-side and/or is a remix version?
Whats odd is that all other versions (and the t-shirts) on the site are listed as "in stock", whereas on the official website all are listed as pre-order w/various shipping dates...
Whatever the case, only one song...gotta make the most of it one way or another - including a t-shirt.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2020 20:45

Hairball
Received an email from Merchbar earlier, and seems yet another version of the vinyl for pre-order.
I don't think that's the cover (?), but price is higher compared to purple and orange version, and looks to be good old fashioned black vinyl. Ghost Town Maybe has a b-side and/or is a remix version?
Whats odd is that all other versions (and the t-shirts) on the site are listed as "in stock", whereas on the official website all are listed as pre-order w/various shipping dates...
Whatever the case, only one song...gotta make the most of it one way or another - including a t-shirt.

That's funny, I got the same email and ended up pre-ordering it.
Also snagged a cool bag and wallet I'd not seen before.
Curious about the vinyl, says it will ship around June 25th.

Date: May 7, 2020 20:53

I should have also added, as of now that new pre-order vinyl on merch bar is not showing on the official store....it's a bit of a mystery...

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: May 8, 2020 00:51

Can we expect some remixes, extended versions, even a lyric video some time soon?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2020 06:04

If they are planning on having a hit single by their own standards they should return to the tambourine on the 1 and 3

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2020 07:32

Nikkei
If they are planning on having a hit single by their own standards they should return to the tambourine on the 1 and 3

I'd throw in some hand claps for good measure.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 8, 2020 14:03

More Cowbell

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 8, 2020 14:36

Bieber and Grande will knock the Stones right off the charts with this...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 8, 2020 14:53

I want a ghost town t-shirt- makes me think of the VooDoo Lounge T-shirts

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2020 14:57

I want a real fine car ... fly Miami too

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2020 15:26

Rockman

All the rum, I want to drink it, all the whiskey too

- Doxa

Date: May 8, 2020 15:44

Doxa
Rockman

All the rum, I want to drink it, all the whiskey too

- Doxa

My woman need a new dress, my daughter got to go to school

Date: May 8, 2020 21:28

...reads like we got ourselves a song boys ... Doxa on vocals

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 9, 2020 00:00

Doxury

Date: May 9, 2020 00:26

..reads like we got ourselves a song boys ... Doxa on vocals

Like Blondie - I'll behind the stage....

Date: May 9, 2020 01:46

The bands ON stage and its one of those daze ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2020 02:48

It's now track 1 on HONK.

Date: May 9, 2020 02:52

The more I listen to it the better it gets.

It's the best thing they've released in years. In terms of being modern, it's better than Undercover Of The Night, which is a pretty killer song, really.

I think what makes it work fantastically is that it's not IN YOUR FACE, it's got a lot of room and a great melody.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 9, 2020 05:48

GasLightStreet

It's the best thing they've released in years. In terms of being modern, it's better than Undercover Of The Night, which is a pretty killer song, really.

I think what makes it work fantastically is that it's not IN YOUR FACE, it's got a lot of room and a great melody.

thumbs up

Date: May 9, 2020 06:05

Best release so far during these covid times …..

It deals with the present situation yet uplifting at the same time …

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2020 14:24

Is Australia in lockdown? Or in certain phases such as the U.S.?

Date: May 9, 2020 14:58

GasLightStreet

Right. It is simply great new Stones' song. Something many of the members here have been long asking for.
No need to extend the doubts, this song works, rocks and is fun.

Date: May 9, 2020 18:39

The breakdown, with the janky guitar and the keyboard bouncing around, and then one strum of what sounds like a hollowbody guitar that gently comes in before Charlie comes back in, is a fantastic aspect of the tune: it has elements of the keyboard break (even better in the remix) of Miss You, while also having a bit of 'use the studio' layering from UNDERCOVER: they're paying attention to the production for what seems like the first time in, well, a lot of the songs have basically been a carpet bomb since 1983.

Laugh... is the closest thing I can think of that isn't, and then you get into some of the other well produced songs like How Can I Stop, Thief In The Night, You Don't Have To Mean It, ASMB?, Brand New Car, Blinded By Love, Break The Spell, I'll include Harlem Shuffle in this because it does sound like the only song they really worked on for that shyste of an album, Feel On Baby, Too Much Blood, All The Way Down and Tie You Up where you can tell they paid a good bit of attention to what was going on.

Date: May 9, 2020 22:01

I like the Rolling Stones most when I'm drunk, even with Mick Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-09 23:02 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: May 9, 2020 23:49

GasLightStreet
The breakdown, with the janky guitar and the keyboard bouncing around, and then one strum of what sounds like a hollowbody guitar that gently comes in before Charlie comes back in, is a fantastic aspect of the tune: it has elements of the keyboard break (even better in the remix) of Miss You, while also having a bit of 'use the studio' layering from UNDERCOVER: they're paying attention to the production for what seems like the first time in, well, a lot of the songs have basically been a carpet bomb since 1983.

Laugh... is the closest thing I can think of that isn't, and then you get into some of the other well produced songs like How Can I Stop, Thief In The Night, You Don't Have To Mean It, ASMB?, Brand New Car, Blinded By Love, Break The Spell, I'll include Harlem Shuffle in this because it does sound like the only song they really worked on for that shyste of an album, Feel On Baby, Too Much Blood, All The Way Down and Tie You Up where you can tell they paid a good bit of attention to what was going on.

Date: May 9, 2020 23:58

GasLightStreet

Loops ...

I agree with your first paragraph, strongly.

Wrt Dirty Work Album I think they worked on' quite a lot of the tracks - to good effect Imo. HS, One Hit, Winning Ugly Back to Zero. Others are notso 'worked on ' but they are spontaneous and fun .... Dirty Work, Had It With You, and I like, Hold Back.

Whatever you think Of DW album we can agree that songs don't have to be 'worked on' to have value/authenticity etc.

Date: May 10, 2020 00:55

Four Stone Walls
GasLightStreet

Loops ...

I agree with your first paragraph, strongly.

Wrt Dirty Work Album I think they worked on' quite a lot of the tracks - to good effect Imo. HS, One Hit, Winning Ugly Back to Zero. Others are notso 'worked on ' but they are spontaneous and fun .... Dirty Work, Had It With You, and I like, Hold Back.

Whatever you think Of DW album we can agree that songs don't have to be 'worked on' to have value/authenticity etc.

The production on DIRTY WORK (as well as other albums, of course, from the late 1970s through 2005) is all over the place. Harlem Shuffle is the solidest song on the LP - it has the best most thoughtful attention to detail production of the album. Others are just carpet bombs, where the production requires no thought (Rough Justice, Summer Romance, Dirty Work, Lowdown), the only thought that went into it was getting it on tape (Hold Back, Hold On To Your Hat, Flip The Switch, It Won't Take Long). They've done that on a lot of albums.

Oddly enough, Back To Zero has pretty good production on it.

Part of the issue is some of the songs don't really work regardless, which is a majority of DIRTY WORK. The mix could've helped but it's pretty bad as well - even the mastering didn't help.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home