Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 6, 2020 02:20

DandelionPowderman
Blue And Lonesome was also sold in different packages. For instance, the deluxe version - with cd/book included - had a ridiculous price drop that might have helped for the physical sales. Many here purchased several copies.

That's the only way to reach #1 on the charts this days, release 15 different versions of the same album/single with bundles, merchandising, everything you can in the mix and also heavy discounts during the first week.

Blue and Lonesome reached #1 in the UK thanks to the heavy discount of the deluxe edition on Amazon, 3 copies at £20 during the first 5 days of sale, the album sold like hotcakes at that price.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 6, 2020 02:22

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
Blue And Lonesome was also sold in different packages. For instance, the deluxe version - with cd/book included - had a ridiculous price drop that might have helped for the physical sales. Many here purchased several copies.

That's the only way to reach #1 on the charts this days, release 15 different versions of the same album/single with bundles, merchandising, everything you can in the mix and also heavy discounts during the first week.

Blue and Lonesome reached #1 in the UK thanks to the heavy discount of the deluxe edition on Amazon, 3 copies at £20 during the first 5 days of sale, the album sold like hotcakes at that price.

I bought four. X-mas gifts and still sitting on an unopened one cool smiley

Date: May 6, 2020 02:28

MisterDDDD
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

I bought the 3 copies of the promotion too, even with shipping was cheaper than buying 3 standard copies here.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2020 03:00

georgelicks
MisterDDDD
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

I bought the 3 copies of the promotion too, even with shipping was cheaper than buying 3 standard copies here.

Looking at my old orders on Amazon UK (Dec, 6, 2016), I ordered three Deluxe editions for a total of 25.06 GBP which at the time converted to $33.17 - not a bad deal when it would have cost 92.54 GBP ( well over $100) without the promo according to the invoice. I gave one away as a X-mas gift, opened one and listened for a week or so, and still have one brand new/unopened. Glad to contribute to the chart success, though I just wish the album itself would have been better.

Curious georgelicks regarding all the pre-orders for the physical copies of Ghost Town...do they count towards the current sales, chart success, or anything?
I have two vinyls (a purple and an orange) and a cd pre-ordered...but maybe there's so few others who opted for physical copies that it wouldn't have made a difference one way or the other?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 03:04 by Hairball.

Date: May 6, 2020 04:58

Hairball
Curious georgelicks regarding all the pre-orders for the physical copies of Ghost Town...do they count towards the current sales, chart success, or anything?
I have two vinyls (a purple and an orange) and a cd pre-ordered...but maybe there's so few others who opted for physical copies that it wouldn't have made a difference one way or the other?

They will all count when the actual physical copy is released, you must release a digital copy as instant bonus if you want to count it in the current week, the US #1 single this week was released this way:

"It also bows at No. 1 on Digital Song Sales, with 67,000 downloads sold in the same span (helped by 15 physical configurations available during the tracking week in Scott's official webstore, where consumers could purchase it on CD, cassette or vinyl along with a digital download; the download would be sent to consumers upon purchase, with physical versions due to arrive in six or more weeks)."
[www.billboard.com]

The Stones missed 3,000 sales during the early day release and about the same number for physical copies, that's 1000 missing points on the Billboard Hot 100, the single should have been around #70-80 with all those missing sales.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2020 07:34

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
The new, alternative video has BRIAN in it. BRIAN. I don't think they've ever put Brian in a video after he died. (You get the side of Bill's head a couple times, and a microsecond of Mick Taylor). But BRIAN. Smiling!

At 2.20-2.21 the guitar lick syncs with Mick Taylor's right hand playing the Les Paul from the L&G footage.

Am I to understand this is a phony? The alternative video is unauthorized? Figures. Putting Brian, Bill and Mick T, in it was just the kind of thing fans love and deserve. And of course the Stones didn't really do it. Now that I think about it, most of the footage would be owned by ABKCO. I wonder where whomever did it got the Brian clip?

Date: May 6, 2020 10:27

24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
The new, alternative video has BRIAN in it. BRIAN. I don't think they've ever put Brian in a video after he died. (You get the side of Bill's head a couple times, and a microsecond of Mick Taylor). But BRIAN. Smiling!

At 2.20-2.21 the guitar lick syncs with Mick Taylor's right hand playing the Les Paul from the L&G footage.

Am I to understand this is a phony? The alternative video is unauthorized? Figures. Putting Brian, Bill and Mick T, in it was just the kind of thing fans love and deserve. And of course the Stones didn't really do it. Now that I think about it, most of the footage would be owned by ABKCO. I wonder where whomever did it got the Brian clip?

No, no phony, just a funny coincidence.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2020 11:40

Hairball
Sounds like your either drunk again Doxa, or simply being your old condescending self...

"Hairball's point was to change the topic into album chartings, after being challanged of making false and ill-disposed conclusions from the charting of "Living in A Ghost Town" (what is an IORR page without some of his Jagger-bashing). But since this isn't any political rally, I took the liberty of doing a bit of fact-checking. Or at least explicate some basic concepts here".

No, that wasn't my original point as I'm no expert and was just conversing with fellow fans, but you proved the point that you're either drunk or a condescending jerk - congratulations.

grinning smiley

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

- Doxa

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 6, 2020 12:00

NilsHolgersson

In Germany it's #22 on the singles chart.

Permanent link to the German Chart-Position: [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

In the German iTunes-Store it's #24 on 6-May-2020, but it was still #1 in the Single-Download-Charts on 4-May-2020: [www.MTV.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 14:01 by Irix.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 6, 2020 12:54

I think it's doing quite well in the charts actually

US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Chart
#6 [www.billboard.com]

US Hot Rock Songs
#3 [www.billboard.com]

US Rock Digital Song Sales
#1 [www.billboard.com]

US Official Singles Sales Chart Top 100
#5 [www.officialcharts.com]

UK Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100
#5 [www.officialcharts.com]

UK Radio Airplay Chart
#15 [ukairplaychart.com]

Date: May 6, 2020 13:29

Hi Bjornulf, you still looking for London locations on the video? Hope this helps....

0.17 Air Street, corner with Piccadilly
0.18 Trafalgar Square facing National Gallery
0.22 Regent Street heading North
1.02 Regent Street
1.35 South Bank Centre - Hayward Gallery
1.48 View from public terrace of St Magnus House, Lower Thames Street facing South across the Thames
1.55 Leadenhall Market
2.07 Hungerford Bridge heading South
2.58 Old Compton Street, Soho
3.08 Corner of Rupert Street and Winnet Street, Soho, facing Raymond Revue Bar

A ghost town indeed (as per my photos on page 21 of this thread)

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 6, 2020 13:34

Heard Just Your Fool twice on a Boston classic rock station. Not once flipping thru the dials did I hear Jagger’s 2 songs from 2017. I’ve heard Ghost about 10 times so I’m impressed. LOL

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2020 14:14

georgelicks
Doxa
We old school music fans live in a such odd, changing world these days that the our strongly once founded concepts keep on changing.

A funny little detail of the concepts changing is that they added in Spotify (and I guess in other services too) "Living in A Ghost Town" to HONK album. It's the first cut there now. So the albums are nowadays like things they add stuff into them after their release. Like evolving projects. So this new song also helps the sales of HONK from now on - which I think was the purpose - probably serving more to be the rival of HOT ROCKS.

I guess many of us has now HONK at home missing one track...grinning smiley

- Doxa

And Honk re-entered the Billboard 200 chart this week at #163, while Hot Rocks keeps charting at #133 this week too.
[www.billboard.com]

Not a bad week for the Rolling Stones after all in 2020:
- A Top 75 charting single in the UK, almost 57 years after the first one.
- A #106 hit in the US, their best chart position there in 17 years, jumping 30-3 on the Rock Songs Chart, their best showing there in over 22 years.
- 2 albums charting at the same time in US which covers 1964-1971 (Hot Rocks) and 1971-2018 (Honk), almost their complete recording story.

Yeah, it was predicatable that the appearance in One World did boost the sales of HOT ROCKS and, especially with the new single, of HONK. When I checked the other day the numbers in Spotify, it was clear that the classic hits were doing better than normal.

HONK has now six big songs to help it getting into charts - "Living In A Ghost Town", "Start Me Up", "Beast of Burden" ,"Angie", "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses". Probably we could also add "Miss You" there, since it is going fast up, starting to reach their top ten soon, not much behind "You Can't Always Get Whayt You Want" (#10) and "Honky Tonk Women (#11).

The streaming popularity of the big four of HOT ROCKS - "Paint It Black" (#1), "Satisfaction" (#2), "Gimme Shelter" (#3) and "Sympathy For The Devil" (#4) - is constantly so huge that just by the power of those four the album almost makes Billboard 200 chart. If there is some peak, as now, it easily does.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 14:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 6, 2020 14:56

georgelicks

Observationally it seems to me that they pursue a low price/discount strategy with new releases already for quite a while. When B2B came out, it was sold over here (Austria, in pre-Euro times) at ATS 99,00 (I bought it on the release day) while the regular price of a CD was something like ATS 250,00, likewise ABB and No Security (ABB cost €8,99). Not sure about VL (I don't have the CD here with me to check the price tag) but I seem to remember that also VL was sold at a lower price than the "regular" price of a CD back then. In fact, there may have been early discounts for their albums even back in the LP age. My copy of Some Girls (bought several months after release in Germany) cost DM 10.99 when the price for a regular LP was DM 22.00.

Especially with B2B the price of less than half of the price of a regular CD smelled very much like they wanted to force better sales figures.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 6, 2020 15:07

Thanks to everyone who posted or sent e-mail with video details, locations etc. I am still looking for every single clip detail. I have got some info by e-mail to, like Osaka details, so I hope to have time for publishing the new pages within this week.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2020 15:52

MisterDDDD
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

So did I, and a vinyl and a regular cd (which I opened).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 6, 2020 16:33

bv
Thanks to everyone who posted or sent e-mail with video details, locations etc. I am still looking for every single clip detail. I have got some info by e-mail to, like Osaka details, so I hope to have time for publishing the new pages within this week.

Likely have this already, but the Hollywood clip (2:05 - 2:06) is walking west on Hollywood Blvd towards Vine St.(6200 block).

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 6, 2020 18:34

Okay, a short poll to perk things up a bit: Which one do you prefer: Ghost Town with The Special's from 1981 or Living in a Ghost Town
with the Rolling Stones from 2020? My vote: The Special's, hands down. Your?

The Special's, Ghost Town, 1981: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 6, 2020 19:24

Stoneage
Okay, a short poll to perk things up a bit: Which one do you prefer: Ghost Town with The Special's from 1981 or Living in a Ghost Town

The Special's, Ghost Town b/w Living in a Ghost Town ..........

The Special's song was a definite one off..............the Stones have a cool groove though.......love the harp...........

Date: May 6, 2020 19:41

georgelicks
Hairball

They will all count when the actual physical copy is released, you must release a digital copy as instant bonus if you want to count it in the current week, the US #1 single this week was released this way:

"It also bows at No. 1 on Digital Song Sales, with 67,000 downloads sold in the same span (helped by 15 physical configurations available during the tracking week in Scott's official webstore, where consumers could purchase it on CD, cassette or vinyl along with a digital download; the download would be sent to consumers upon purchase, with physical versions due to arrive in six or more weeks)."
[www.billboard.com]

The Stones missed 3,000 sales during the early day release and about the same number for physical copies, that's 1000 missing points on the Billboard Hot 100, the single should have been around #70-80 with all those missing sales.

So in other words, and to paraphrase what you said yesterday, someone at Universal dropped the ball big time and missed a golden opportunity, but even if they did everything right the song would have only made it to #70-80....hmmm....a bit sad but I guess that's the music world these days. While I think the song is great and am beginning to learn and have some interest in it's chart success/failure based on how this thread has evolved, hoped it would have done better that - especially for Mick's sake whose been through so much the last year (heart surgery) and who is always boasting how much he writes and how great he strives for it to be. Surely it must be somewhat of a disappointment for him (and the bigwigs at Universal), but that's just my feeling. And then there's poor old Charlie who was quoted in a post here yesterday as saying he wished they could have a hit single...doubt he really cares that much, but again he's probably disappointed. Another possible reason for the poor results is that there's many who heard the song, didn't like it, didn't stream it, and didn't buy it.
There's even quite a few fans here who don't like the song, so I imagine the song itself didn't help help the Stones' cause, or helped in picking up many new fans amongst the youth or the music buying public in general.
A shame...new Rolling Stones music in 2020...better than anything they've released in many years (imo)... hallelujah.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2020 19:56

If Taylor Swift sang Living in Ghost Town it would #1. She is cute as well. Of course the song would be more up-tempo. She is so dreamy smileys with beer

Date: May 6, 2020 20:00

Chris Fountain
If Taylor Swift sang Living in Ghost Town it would #1. She is cute as well. Of course the song would be more up-tempo. She is so dreamy smileys with beer

Maybe they can incorporate her vocals into one of the remixes, make it bubbly and up-tempo, and give the single another shot at the charts...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 6, 2020 20:01

Stoneage

Specials song is B-O-R-I-N-G

Date: May 6, 2020 20:40

I agree, Maindefender. But it's boring theme also. But it sticks to your mind, doesn't it? Like a hit song should.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 6, 2020 20:50

Maindefender
Stoneage

Specials song is B-O-R-I-N-G

I used to like A Message To You Rudy and this song also at the time, but never even thought about buying the records and I quicky forgot about them anyway. I haven't quite forgotten about the Stones though...

Date: May 6, 2020 20:56

Sure, Someguy. The Rollings Stones have survived 7 decades. Most 80's bands are forgotten now. But the songs linger on. At least some of them...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2020 21:12

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

What do you mean? Is it unauthorized or not? Did the Stones produce it or not? Is it phony, or not?

Date: May 6, 2020 21:19

24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

What do you mean? Is it unauthorized or not? Did the Stones produce it or not? Is it phony, or not?

Phony, but good smiling smiley

Date: May 6, 2020 21:26

24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

I think he was referring to the "Mick Taylor's right hand playing the Les Paul" as not being phony, but a coincidence.
The video itself is unauthorized (or "phony")...the Stones themselves had nothing to do with the making of it, but it was expertly done by Frank Benitez.
He even put this disclaimer under the video:

**DISCLAIMER**
I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING BUT THE EDITING, THE SONG AND IMAGES BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.
NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT WAS INTENDED. I'M NOT MONETIZING THIS VIDEO. I'M JUST A FAN.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 6, 2020 21:32

Stoneage

I had not heard that one before. Better than I thought it would be.

My vote, however, no competition, goes for the Stones song.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home