Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 5, 2020 14:13

Living In A Ghost Town debuted at #6 on Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart, which means actually a #106 debut, the early sales on Thursday 23rd (3,000) were a damage for a Hot 100 debut this week, including these 3k sales the song should have been around #80 on this week's Hot 100 chart.

It was the same in the UK, and also the lack of a physical single or a bundle with some merch with the song as a bonus, it looks like the Stones team has no clue how to work the industry these days, they had a hit on their hands with right timing and physical availability, all released at the same time, but they dropped the song on a Thursday (missing 1 day of sales) and the physical copies released a month later.

Still, the new song is their best charting single in the US since the SFTD remix in 2003 which peaked at #97.

Stones singles in the US since 1994:
#91 Love Is Strong
#60 Out Of Tears
#113 You Got Me Rocking
#109 Like a Rolling Stone
#94 Saint Of Me
#97 Sympathy For The Devil remix
#106 Living In A Ghost Town

In the albums chart, Hot Rocks ranks at #133 and Honk re-entered at #163.

The new single is also #3 on the Hot Rock Songs chart, it speaks a lot of the current situation for rock music in the US when the #3 most popular rock song is not even Top 100 in the US.

[www.billboard.com]
[www.billboard.com]
[www.billboard.com]

Date: May 5, 2020 14:14

24FPS
The new, alternative video has BRIAN in it. BRIAN. I don't think they've ever put Brian in a video after he died. (You get the side of Bill's head a couple times, and a microsecond of Mick Taylor). But BRIAN. Smiling!

At 2.20-2.21 the guitar lick syncs with Mick Taylor's right hand playing the Les Paul from the L&G footage.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 5, 2020 14:52

bye bye johnny
The alternate video is unofficial.

Video editor Frank Benitez notes: **DISCLAIMER** I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING BUT THE EDITING, THE SONG AND IMAGES BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS. NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT WAS INTENDED. I'M NOT MONETIZING THIS VIDEO. I'M JUST A FAN.

[www.youtube.com]
Absolutely freaking brilliant , superb editing and such a killer video that should win an award hands down . Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: May 5, 2020 15:51

georgelicks
Living In A Ghost Town debuted at #6 on Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart, which means actually a #106 debut, the early sales on Thursday 23rd (3,000) were a damage for a Hot 100 debut this week, including these 3k sales the song should have been around #80 on this week's Hot 100 chart.

It was the same in the UK, and also the lack of a physical single or a bundle with some merch with the song as a bonus, it looks like the Stones team has no clue how to work the industry these days, they had a hit on their hands with right timing and physical availability, all released at the same time, but they dropped the song on a Thursday (missing 1 day of sales) and the physical copies released a month later.

Still, the new song is their best charting single in the US since the SFTD remix in 2003 which peaked at #97.

Stones singles in the US since 1994:
#91 Love Is Strong
#60 Out Of Tears
#113 You Got Me Rocking
#109 Like a Rolling Stone
#94 Saint Of Me
#97 Sympathy For The Devil remix
#106 Living In A Ghost Town

In the albums chart, Hot Rocks ranks at #133 and Honk re-entered at #163.

The new single is also #3 on the Hot Rock Songs chart, it speaks a lot of the current situation for rock music in the US when the #3 most popular rock song is not even Top 100 in the US.

[www.billboard.com]
[www.billboard.com]
[www.billboard.com]

So, it's round where Stones-singles use to be since 1994 (Out Of Tears being the sole exception).

A more "strategic" release day would have made them chart again, and problably a tad higher than usual, too.

Date: May 5, 2020 16:14

DandelionPowderman

A more "strategic" release day would have made them chart again, and problably a tad higher than usual, too.

A Friday release, with physical copies and bundle merch... the Stones had a UK Top 20 and an US Top 50 for sure.

This is how you get a #1 this days, the current US #1 had 15 bundles!!

From Billboard:

"The Scotts," billed as by The Scotts, Travis Scott & Kid Cudi (both artists have Scott in their names, as Kid Cudi's real name is Scott Mescudi), was released to digital service providers for streaming and purchase on Wicked Awesome/Cactus Jack/Epic Records at midnight ET Friday, April 24.

It also bows at No. 1 on Digital Song Sales, with 67,000 downloads sold in the same span (helped by 15 physical configurations available during the tracking week in Scott's official webstore, where consumers could purchase it on CD, cassette or vinyl along with a digital download; the download would be sent to consumers upon purchase, with physical versions due to arrive in six or more weeks).

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 5, 2020 16:14

TheGreek
bye bye johnny
The alternate video is unofficial.

Video editor Frank Benitez notes: **DISCLAIMER** I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING BUT THE EDITING, THE SONG AND IMAGES BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS. NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT WAS INTENDED. I'M NOT MONETIZING THIS VIDEO. I'M JUST A FAN.

[www.youtube.com]
Absolutely freaking brilliant , superb editing and such a killer video that should win an award hands down . Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smileys with beer

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 5, 2020 16:25

I enjoy the new Stones single: "Living in A Ghost Town", like a city roller coaster video, and the alternate video as well, a lot taken from Altamont and fun to see Brian!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 5, 2020 16:55

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
The new, alternative video has BRIAN in it. BRIAN. I don't think they've ever put Brian in a video after he died. (You get the side of Bill's head a couple times, and a microsecond of Mick Taylor). But BRIAN. Smiling!

At 2.20-2.21 the guitar lick syncs with Mick Taylor's right hand playing the Les Paul from the L&G footage.

I don't know if it counts, but during the 50th Anniversary concerts in the O2 Arena in November 2012 there was a video (B&W) which clearly included Brian Jones.

Date: May 5, 2020 17:25

georgie48
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

I don't know if it counts, but during the 50th Anniversary concerts in the O2 Arena in November 2012 there was a video (B&W) which clearly included Brian Jones.

Everything counts. thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2020 18:43

Thanks georgelicks for the stats and info. Yep, it looked like they screwed up the chart chances in timing and distribution. It looks it was quite a rushed job - was it that they wanted to relaese the song when the situation was 'hot' and probably the good vibes emerging from their One World performance, but the whole project wasn't yet ready to go out at the same token. But still 'leaking' it a day prior does make no sense. Are they just 'amateurs' in this sense (UMG?eye popping smiley), or they doesn't give a shit about the charts...

That said, the Stones rise or fall according to their digital and physical sales. I looked yesterday how the streaming was going on, and made the following observation (I wrote it yesterday but didn't post it):

--------------------------------------------------------------------
In Spotify "Living In A Ghost Town" has gained 3,2 million streams. The last time I checked (30th of April) it was around 2 million. Might sound big numbers for those not familiar with streaming numbers, but, honestly is not that impressive if we are looking for a real hit. Within this time frame of a few days when it supposed to peak it gained about as many streams as their best streaming 'evergreens', "Paint It Black", "Satisfaction", "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy For the Devil" and "Start Me Up", each getting a million plus streams. However, this also says how popular/constantly listened are those classics. But it is obvious that the top spots are not to be achieved by these numbers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's yesterday's news, today "Living in A Ghost Town" is streamed 3,37 million times in Spotify, placing it #116 in their all-time streaming chart, reaching "Saint of Me" and "Citadel" soon...

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 18:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2020 19:07

georgelicks
...the Stones team has no clue how to work the industry these days...

Shame on the Stones team for being clueless, but I don't give a crap about the charts as the song kicks ass! Some of my favorite bands and artists probably don't even know how to spell charts!
Feel a bit bad for Mick though as I'm sure he probably was hoping for chart success on some level (after Getta Grip/England Lost failed), but can't imagine the others in the band care one way or the other.
Oh well - hope this doesnt deter them from releasing another single, but on the other hand if they do maybe they've learned a lesson and will release it with the charts in mind - for Mick's sake and some of the fans who care.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 19:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 5, 2020 20:11

Lawd.
They and their team did a fantastic job getting this done and out under adverse conditions. Funny to watch all the adulation and enthusiasm for it turn to criticism and scorn over minutia.
Always have a legit LOL when people claim to know what Mick (or any of them) thinks or hopes. A bit absurd really.

Doubt they give two shts about the where it charts. "Doubt" because despite being a big fan, I don't really know them personally winking smiley
They are proud of it, as they should be, Top iTunes Charts- twenty countries etc., etc. Great song.

Cynic Fans: Wish the Stones would do something for charity.
Stones: Ok, here's a really cool isolation video of YCAGWYW! It goes viral and well received globally by everyone.
Cynic Fans: Wish it would have been better, they should have... and what's with Keith? And how dare they praise the NHS?

Cynic Fans: Wish they Stones would drop a new album or even a single.
Stones: Ok. Here's a new single that has the great Stones sound, relevant and very well received.
Cynic Fans: No, do something better. Also, better video. Also, better distribution geared towards making it chart better.

Also Cynic Fans: Man, I sure love The Rolling Stones!
Me: confused smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 5, 2020 20:32

MisterDDDD
Lawd.
They and their team did a fantastic job getting this done and out under adverse conditions. Funny to watch all the adulation and enthusiasm for it turn to criticism and scorn over minutia.
Always have a legit LOL when people claim to know what Mick (or any of them) thinks or hopes. A bit absurd really.

Doubt they give two shts about the where it charts. "Doubt" because despite being a big fan, I don't really know them personally winking smiley
They are proud of it, as they should be, Top iTunes Charts- twenty countries etc., etc. Great song.

Cynic Fans: Wish the Stones would do something for charity.
Stones: Ok, here's a really cool isolation video of YCAGWYW! It goes viral and well received globally by everyone.
Cynic Fans: Wish it would have been better, they should have... and what's with Keith? And how dare they praise the NHS?

Cynic Fans: Wish they Stones would drop a new album or even a single.
Stones: Ok. Here's a new single that has the great Stones sound, relevant and very well received.
Cynic Fans: No, do something better. Also, better video. Also, better distribution geared towards making it chart better.

Also Cynic Fans: Man, I sure love The Rolling Stones!
Me: confused smiley

I do remember an interview with Charlie (of all people) a few years back where he did say he "wished they could have a hit single"....and then went on to say that Mick and Keith produce the best stuff when they are constructing the songs together in the studio and wished they could work like that again..............

But, I also doubt if he's losing too much sleep over it........................

Date: May 5, 2020 21:10

Yeah, like MisterDDD, I don't think either that the band (or, like those never mentally passed the 80's think, Mick) is somehow 'disappointed' by not making Billboard HOT 100. Had it all done technically 'right', without those supposed 'screw-ups', and the single reached, say, #50, would we in that case thought that the band would have been celebrating "Wow, we have a huge hit now! Our single is #50 - can you believe that!".... #50 or #106, my ass... For their chart history in the (way) past that would have laughable...

Those having a bit of common sense, and understanding any of the chart and record business of today do know that there is no way an oldies act like the Stones ever have true hit songs in stream-dominated charts (if some true miracle doesn't happen). Especially Billboard Hot 100, based mostly on such factors - streaming, radio-play - that are beyond their reach. Those are for the pop stars of today the kids love to stream all day, all night, or whose songs get the song lists of most important radio stations. In some countries in which the factors are a bit different, mostly giving more room to digital and physical sales, the Stones still make moderate single chart appearances. Here at IORR surely are some mind-readers and other meedios who seemingly now more than us normal mortals, but I dare to suggest that Mick & The Stones and UMG have a rather realistic picture of what to expect. With that experience and professionalism in business I suppose they are that naive as some seem to suggest.

The success and significance of "Living In A Ghost Town" is to be measured differently than just looking at Billboard Hot 100. Had they not thought so, they wouldn't have released any single in the US for about 25 years.

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 21:33 by Doxa.

Date: May 5, 2020 21:32

Somehow the Blue and Lonesome album as a whole was a number 1 in many countries, and seems most everyone here celebrated the fact at the time.
Though the singles weren't quite as successful, the album eventually won a grammy which again was reason for celebration for both band members and many fans here.
But now poor old Ghost Town didn't meet those same standards, surely not everyone is happy. And not that I care, I admit it would have been kind of nice to see it better appreciated in the same way Blue and Lonesome was.
Maybe winning a Grammy for "Best Rock Song" will redeem it in the minds of those who are disappointed or confused...or even just a nomination...it's got my vote. thumbs up

Date: May 5, 2020 21:55

When their last original song hit the Hot 100, Saint Of Me, it was #94 on the H100 and #13 on the Rock chart, so in 1998 you still had 13-15 Rock songs on a weekly basis on the H100.

Now in 2020, here is how it looks the Rock songs on the Hot 100/Bubbling Under Chart:

#1 Twenty One Pilots (#1 on Rock, #41 on the Hot 100)

#2 Panic At The Disco (#2 on Rock, #80 on the Hot 100)

#3 Rolling Stones (#3 on Rock, #106 on Bubbling Under Hot 100)

#4 AJR (#4 on Rock, #123 on Bubbling Under Hot 100)

#5 The 1975 (#5 on Rock, No bubbling under)

So there it goes, only 2 Rock songs on the whole Hot 100 and 2 more Bubbling Under 101-125, the #5 Rock song is not even among the 125 most popular tracks in the US.

Meanwhile, the whole Top 50 of the US R&B/Rap songs is charting on the Hot 100, including 7/10 in the Top 10 and the #50 R&B song charting at #99 on the H100.

A sign of the times, you can release a new Start Me Up today and it will struggle to reach the Top 40 in a good week.

Date: May 5, 2020 22:00

Maybe a dance/R&B remix could have done better in the Top 100 seeing as rock ain't what it used to be as far as the charts go.

Date: May 5, 2020 22:42

Hairball does not "care" but he loves to talk a lot about things he seemingly have not much a clue about.

First of all, a single - a singular song - is a different entity than an album, a collection of songs. Think of the difference in terms of "Living in a Ghost Town" vs. BLUE AND LONESOME to get the idea. They also have different charts. All we have done here has been talking about a singular song - a single - and of its chartings. I don't repeat the title.

Secondly, album selling has collapsed dramatically in a record business. The kids don't buy them. They listen singular songs from Spotify and other streaming services. But the old guard, brought during an albums era, still buys them. Think which is the one Stones fanbase mostly consists of? The effect is that for old guard heroes it is nowadays much easier to reach the top in album charts than back in the day when album-selling was the heart of music business. Even Keith Richards managed to get his most recent solo album to Top Ten in Billboard (#8) - without it actually selling much anything, for example, less than its predecessor in 1992, which managed barely to reach TOP 100 (#99).

Thirdly, the old guard has a long ago forgotten - if they ever really get to learn it - to buy singles (we really have to go the 50's and the 60's to find that golden era). The album is the thing for them. The amount of sold physical singles is embarrasing these days. This means that their heroes will never have a chance to beat the heroes of the crazily streaming kids. It is not even a fair match. However, the streaming kids listen the individual songs so much that the albums from which they are do make albums lists as well (there is a measure for it). But the old guard heroes still are doing well in that front (but how long...)

For example, I don't bother to fact-check this out, and I do it from memory: when BLUE & LONESOME topped the charts, some 95% of its 'sales' derive from traditional album selling (physical and digital copies), and about 5% from streaming. There was some other act - a recent pop act - at the time fighting with them to top the charts, and probably beating them (was it Drake or someone, I can't recall) - but having the sales exact opposite: 95% from streaming, the rest from somewhere else. It could be that my numbers are a bit wrong, but you get the idea...

Yep, I understand that Hairball's point was to change the topic into album chartings, after being challanged of making false and ill-disposed conclusions from the charting of "Living in A Ghost Town" (what is an IORR page without some of his Jagger-bashing). But since this isn't any political rally, I took the liberty of doing a bit of fact-checking. Or at least explicate some basic concepts here.

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 23:11 by Doxa.

Date: May 5, 2020 22:50

Hairball
Somehow the Blue and Lonesome album as a whole was a number 1 in many countries, and seems most everyone here celebrated the fact at the time.
Though the singles weren't quite as successful, the album eventually won a grammy which again was reason for celebration for both band members and many fans here.
But now poor old Ghost Town didn't meet those same standards, surely not everyone is happy. And not that I care, I admit it would have been kind of nice to see it better appreciated in the same way Blue and Lonesome was.
Maybe winning a Grammy for "Best Rock Song" will redeem it in the minds of those who are disappointed or confused...or even just a nomination...it's got my vote. thumbs up

The other day a nearby neighbour (who knows I am a Stones fan, but who is not a fan himself, a little in favor of the Fab Four) saw me and my wife walking on the street while on the bicycle himself and, with a big smile on his face, started to sing Living in a Ghost Town.
That's what counts for me smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2020 22:53

love LIAGT ....
sing it in ma sleep ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 23:22 by Rockman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 5, 2020 23:21

It's easy to say this is the best song they've released since (...) but it really is pretty damn good and I like it more and more every time I listen to it.

Date: May 5, 2020 23:24

GasLightStreet
It's easy to say this is the best song they've released since (...) but it really is pretty damn good and I like it more and more every time I listen to it.

And THAT's what counts!winking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 5, 2020 23:40

It doesn't feel like it's entered the popular culture, but that could change, like if it turned up on a TV soundtrack or something.

Date: May 5, 2020 23:49

We old school music fans live in a such odd, changing world these days that the our strongly once founded concepts keep on changing.

A funny little detail of the concepts changing is that they added in Spotify (and I guess in other services too) "Living in A Ghost Town" to HONK album. It's the first cut there now. So the albums are nowadays like things they add stuff into them after their release. Like evolving projects. So this new song also helps the sales of HONK from now on - which I think was the purpose - probably serving more to be the rival of HOT ROCKS.

I guess many of us has now HONK at home missing one track...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 23:50 by Doxa.

Date: May 6, 2020 00:02

Sounds like your either drunk again Doxa, or simply being your old condescending self...

"Hairball's point was to change the topic into album chartings, after being challanged of making false and ill-disposed conclusions from the charting of "Living in A Ghost Town" (what is an IORR page without some of his Jagger-bashing). But since this isn't any political rally, I took the liberty of doing a bit of fact-checking. Or at least explicate some basic concepts here".

No, that wasn't my original point as I'm no expert and was just conversing with fellow fans, but you proved the point that you're either drunk or a condescending jerk - congratulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 00:03 by Hairball.

Date: May 6, 2020 00:03

Blue And Lonesome was also sold in different packages. For instance, the deluxe version - with cd/book included - had a ridiculous price drop that might have helped for the physical sales. Many here purchased several copies.

Date: May 6, 2020 00:16

Doxa
We old school music fans live in a such odd, changing world these days that the our strongly once founded concepts keep on changing.

A funny little detail of the concepts changing is that they added in Spotify (and I guess in other services too) "Living in A Ghost Town" to HONK album. It's the first cut there now. So the albums are nowadays like things they add stuff into them after their release. Like evolving projects. So this new song also helps the sales of HONK from now on - which I think was the purpose - probably serving more to be the rival of HOT ROCKS.

I guess many of us has now HONK at home missing one track...grinning smiley

- Doxa

And Honk re-entered the Billboard 200 chart this week at #163, while Hot Rocks keeps charting at #133 this week too.
[www.billboard.com]

Not a bad week for the Rolling Stones after all in 2020:
- A Top 75 charting single in the UK, almost 57 years after the first one.
- A #106 hit in the US, their best chart position there in 17 years, jumping 30-3 on the Rock Songs Chart, their best showing there in over 22 years.
- 2 albums charting at the same time in US which covers 1964-1971 (Hot Rocks) and 1971-2018 (Honk), almost their complete recording story.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 6, 2020 00:19

That's our boys smileys with beer

Thanks, as usual, georgelicks!

Date: May 6, 2020 00:28

Great news, especially when considering their age.
Hard to imagine a band whose members are 75+ yrs on average could still make waves, but goes to show how much times have changed throughout the years.
And then there's the possibility of a Best Rock Song Grammy....listening right now, and it's MUCH better than anything else currently out there that I know of.

smiling bouncing smileyRe: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 6, 2020 00:46

DandelionPowderman
Blue And Lonesome was also sold in different packages. For instance, the deluxe version - with cd/book included - had a ridiculous price drop that might have helped for the physical sales. Many here purchased several copies.

Yep smiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home