Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 2, 2020 12:51

5th listen, and I really like it.

Been listening to a lot of The Stones in isolation, and Bowie.

I often think I wonder what Bowie would've made of lockdown if he were alive today. Bearing in mind Drive-in Saturday is almost a lockdown song.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 13:39

Cristiano Radtke
There will be an authorised remix version made by a Brazilian DJ named Alok, who've already worked with Mick on his latest single. It will be posted on May 2.

[www.instagram.com]

Thanks so much for the heads-up on this info, Cristiano. Has anyone noticed if this remix has been made available yet?

Cheers, all! Stay safe!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 2, 2020 13:42

A well done collage...must have been hard work.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 2, 2020 13:53

This is f*$%&# great!
Much better than the official video!
Luv it!

Thanks for posting, @TooTough

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 14:00

micawber
This is f*$%&# great!
Much better than the official video!
Luv it!

Thanks for posting, @TooTough

Agreed!! Thanks for sharing this, TooTough!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 2, 2020 16:01

I agree, better than the rather cheap-looking official vid

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 2, 2020 16:40

sf37
Cristiano Radtke
There will be an authorised remix version made by a Brazilian DJ named Alok, who've already worked with Mick on his latest single. It will be posted on May 2.

[www.instagram.com]

Thanks so much for the heads-up on this info, Cristiano. Has anyone noticed if this remix has been made available yet?

Cheers, all! Stay safe!

Someone recently posted a message saying that was not "allowed" to release it like that and that an agreement was being worked on...

So in the UK the single would have been #5 if they still counted sales only ? Of course with the ridiculously low number of sales they have to integrate "streams" (the "weight" of streams vs sales must be pretty high too given the #63 combined position) and the Stones were not in the TOP100 there...these charts are a bit of a joke TBH !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 2, 2020 17:48

gotdablouse
sf37
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Cheers, all! Stay safe!

Someone recently posted a message saying that was not "allowed" to release it like that and that an agreement was being worked on...

So in the UK the single would have been #5 if they still counted sales only ? Of course with the ridiculously low number of sales they have to integrate "streams" (the "weight" of streams vs sales must be pretty high too given the #63 combined position) and the Stones were not in the TOP100 there...these charts are a bit of a joke TBH !

The problem is that you can't release a main chart with sales only when streaming is 90% of the market now.

The Stones' single had about 7,000 copies sold (with about 1k of streaming units in the mix to get to that 8k total), but the #5 streaming song in the UK had over 5 million streams which is a "bit more" than 7k sales, the chart are a popularity ranking now.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:14

I hope for a Kevin Parker remix.
He did a great job on GGAG!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:15

peoplewitheyes

I think you have unreasonable expectations. Considering there is a world wide pandemic, they made a credible video using several photographers from around the world and did an amazing editing job. The video worked. So did the single. Sorry that you are so easy to disappoint.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:33

Love the new video by Jim Jarmusch.
Younger Stones footage throughout is very entertaining, imo.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:55

Maindefender
georgelicks
NilsHolgersson
In Germany it's #22 on the singles chart.

[www.offiziellecharts.de]

In the single charts, The Rolling Stones presented their first new song in eight years, "Living In A Ghost Town", at number 22.

Best chart position since Streets Of Love which peaked at #15 in Germany.

Charts aside, best single since Miss You

Nah, since Love is Strong perhaps. That is a cracker!

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:15

TooTough

Oooh that's a good one...some real creepiness going on....chilling vibes...the stuff of nightmares really...
And the way the vintage Stones clips are incorporated...outstanding....thumbs up

Song: Living in a ghost town by The Rolling Stones
Footage:
GIMME SHELTER by Albert Maysles, David Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin
PERMANENT VACATION by Jim Jarmush
Editing: @Frank Benitez

The main scenes were lifted from a 1980 film titled Permanent Vacation...never even heard of it, but now I want watch it....

Via the Quietus: Permanent Vacation 1980
And via wiki: Permanent Vacation 1980

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 19:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:25

Liking that video too - thanks for posting. Do we know who put it together?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:28

Rockman
Bullshit treacle ... just put some fence-droppers
down the back of ya trousers and drop a few go-go pills ....

you had me at fence-droppers.

Date: May 2, 2020 19:35

TooTough

Brilliant video. Love the shot of Brian coupled with the line "we were so beautiful" towards the end. Intentional or not, it worked perfectly.

I agree, way better than the original video.

Date: May 2, 2020 19:46

Rockman
Well I Love it ....

ditto!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 2, 2020 22:54

Last vídeo is really fantástic. Hard working peace of art. Thanks a lot

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 3, 2020 00:58

What a great video!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 3, 2020 01:29

Excellent - those old clips are so well integrated and the inclusion of Brian was such a pleasant surprise!

Thanks to TooTough for posting.

Edit: I've now watched it several times and it gets more enjoyable every time. When I first watched, it had barely 150 views. Now it has over 5,500... Next thing, they'll be asking whoever did this to work with them smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 02:31 by Beast.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 3, 2020 02:32

georgelicks
gotdablouse
sf37
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Cheers, all! Stay safe!

The problem is that you can't release a main chart with sales only when streaming is 90% of the market now.

The Stones' single had about 7,000 copies sold (with about 1k of streaming units in the mix to get to that 8k total), but the #5 streaming song in the UK had over 5 million streams which is a "bit more" than 7k sales, the chart are a popularity ranking now.

Sure, it can only be done that way. Sorry if it's been mentioned before but what's the ratio from streams to "sales" ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 3, 2020 03:11

gotdablouse
Sure, it can only be done that way. Sorry if it's been mentioned before but what's the ratio from streams to "sales" ?

In The UK:
New releases will have a streaming to sales ratio of 100:1 (in the case of premium streams) or 600:1 (in the case of ad funded streams) applied.
[absolutelabelservices.com]

In The US:
The Hot 100 Singles have multiple weighted tiers of streaming plays, which take into account paid subscription streams (representing a full point value per play), ad-supported streams (representing a 2/3-point value per play) and programmed streams (representing a 1/2-point value per play).
Those values are then applied to the chart’s formula alongside all-genre radio airplay and digital song sales data.

On the main albums chart, the Billboard 200, you have paid subscription audio streams (equating 1,250 streams to 1 album unit) ad-supported audio streams (equating 3,750 streams to 1 album unit).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2020 04:03

So where's the damn remix?

I WANT MORE!!!!

smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 3, 2020 04:26

Beast
Excellent - those old clips are so well integrated and the inclusion of Brian was such a pleasant surprise!

Thanks to TooTough for posting.

Edit: I've now watched it several times and it gets more enjoyable every time. When I first watched, it had barely 150 views. Now it has over 5,500... Next thing, they'll be asking whoever did this to work with them smiling smiley

Gotta hand it to them.
Creative brilliance, technological masterpiece. Love it.

On a related note, I fairly recently learned how to post videos on here winking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 3, 2020 14:13

5 millions views...old lions roar again smileys with beer
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 3, 2020 15:09

A very nice that 'alternative video'! Very well done, both technically and aesthetically.

Of course, the Stones themselves would never take such a memory line for a current song, even though, they look much better at their twenties than at their seventies... (and Ronnie would surely not be too pleased...grinning smiley)

But what I find striking in that video is how well the music fits to the vintage footage.. one might not even think that the soundtrack music is made by way, way older men... No contradiction there... Even though it is lyrically such a topical 'here and now' piece, there is something musically timeless in "Living In a Ghost Town". It's in the band, lead by this 'Peter Pan'...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 15:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 3, 2020 16:23

Hairball

I WANT MORE!!!!

smiling smiley

There's a (official?) video on Youtube that is still unavailable, with the lenght of 1.54 min (printscreen below). And somebody made a recording from TV last night and posted on YT: [youtu.be]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 3, 2020 17:07

Rip This
peoplewitheyes

I think you have unreasonable expectations. Considering there is a world wide pandemic, they made a credible video using several photographers from around the world and did an amazing editing job. The video worked. So did the single. Sorry that you are so easy to disappoint.

The video with the Stones live and GIMME SHELTER footage is awesome - the syncing to make it look like Mick is singing etc is done way better than anything the Stones have ever done.

The official video is cheap looking?

How The Rolling Stones’ new music video was made in lockdown

The Living In A Ghost Town video director talks us through how it was put together under restraints

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 3, 2020 17:39

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball

I WANT MORE!!!!

smiling smiley

There's a (official?) video on Youtube that is still unavailable, with the lenght of 1.54 min (printscreen below). And somebody made a recording from TV last night and posted on YT: [youtu.be]

Just listened to it. It's another one of those vagillion beats per second noise dance tracks. A "remix" my ass!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 3, 2020 17:54

GasLightStreet

The video with the Stones live and GIMME SHELTER footage is awesome - the syncing to make it look like Mick is singing etc is done way better than anything the Stones have ever done.

The Stones tried something similar in the video of "No Spare Parts". probably not working as well as the guy has done here. But that said, that of using old footage to go with a 'new' song, I think the Stones did a marvellous job in "Plundered My Soul". I think the way they chose the scenes and edited it gives such a great impression and feel of EXILE-era Stones, like the song does.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 17:55 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home