Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 29, 2020 13:25

In Germany it's #17 in the official Midweek Single Top-100 -- [www.MTV.de] .

It's still #1 in the Pop/Rock Sales-Charts on [www.jpc.de] and also still #1 in the German iTunes-Store.

Edit: Sorry, didn't saw that it was already posted, since that post went under between a discussion - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 16:20 by Irix.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 29, 2020 14:09

hockenheim95
LIAGT is still number one in Germany on the iTunes charts but on #17 on the official GfK midweek charts. I find this a bit strange because the #1 on the midweek charts was also released last week, was behind the Stones on the iTunes charts all the time (Right now it is #14) and has the same amount of clicks on YouTube. So it must be all about Spotify streams?!?!?

iTunes charts: [www.mix1.de]
midweek charts: [www.mtv.de]

It's 90% streaming these days, digital/physical sales are very low and when you put streaming in the mix then a #1 on Itunes means nothing.

Kelly Clarkson's latest single was #1 on Itunes USA during 5 days last week, but it ended up at #86 on the Billboard Hot 100 because of very low streaming.

Date: April 29, 2020 14:17

NilsHolgersson
It's #3 on the Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales chart

The single debuted on some Billboard charts this week thanks to last Thursday's sales/streaming/airplay, charts runs from Friday/Thursday and the single had about 12 hours of sales/streaming/airplay in the US last Thursday when it was released.

It also debuted at #30 on Billboard's Hot Rock Songs and #44 on Billboard's Rock Airplay.

Next week, with a full tracking week, we can expect a big jump on the Rock and Digital charts.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 29, 2020 14:32

Thanks for the explanation, georgelicks. I was a bit surprised that it didn't top the Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales list, like for example, Dylan did with "Murder Most Foul" in its first week. But yeah, that of it covering just 12 hours makes sense. Probably that thursday 'leak' will slighty affect its 'true' first weak sales, but it surely will do well.

- Doxa

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 29, 2020 14:39

georgelicks
The single debuted on some Billboard charts this week thanks to last Thursday's sales/streaming/airplay, charts runs from Friday/Thursday and the single had about 12 hours of sales/streaming/airplay in the US last Thursday when it was released.

It also debuted at #30 on Billboard's Hot Rock Songs and #44 on Billboard's Rock Airplay.

Next week, with a full tracking week, we can expect a big jump on the Rock and Digital charts.

Well this chart is for the week of May 2 so it had a whole week since being released last thursday

Date: April 29, 2020 14:42

NilsHolgersson
georgelicks

Well this chart is for the week of May 2 so it had a whole week since being released last thursday

Still not a whole week.

Date: April 29, 2020 14:44

NilsHolgersson
georgelicks

No, it can't be. For example, Dylan's "I Contain Multitude" was released a week before (on Friday), but it only now is making charts (which is to say, that had a total whole week behind, but the Stones outsold it in 12 hours).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 14:47 by Doxa.

Date: April 29, 2020 14:51

Date: April 29, 2020 15:01

Doxa
Thanks for the explanation, georgelicks. I was a bit surprised that it didn't top the Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales list, like for example, Dylan did with "Murder Most Foul" in its first week. But yeah, that of it covering just 12 hours makes sense. Probably that thursday 'leak' will slighty affect its 'true' first weak sales, but it surely will do well.

- Doxa

Some people is expecting even a debut on the lower part of the Billboard Hot 100, that would be impressive actually for a band of 70's year old people.
Their last Billboard Hot 100 hit was on 2003 with the remix of SFTD (#97) and back on 1998 with the last original song, Saint Of Me (#94).

Date: April 29, 2020 15:04

NilsHolgersson
[www.billboard.com]

??? That of week of May 2nd is just their funny way of keeping a track of their lists me thinks. I mean, we do still live April, don't we?

So as far as I understand that list actually covers April 17 to April 23. So it is a bit behind of 'real time'.

But I don't know much about the facts so this is just my guess.. I could be totally wrong... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 15:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 29, 2020 15:09

powerage78
No doubt about Keith work, adding great guitars.
I am just not sure he can plenty compose a song today.

Do not the songs on Cross-eyed heart count as in these days?

I expect that he is writing - and that some will turn up on 'new album's - or he's keeping them for himself. Not likely to be so commercial or current as Mick's stuff.

And if they can't compose/work together then they need Clifford and Steve Jordan to make it a fruitful foursome. But without Jordan's drumming on the nature harvest.

Bridges to Zion

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 29, 2020 15:15

It's good to see Under Pressure, a rock classic, in the top 5. Great Song, which transcends generations.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 29, 2020 15:27

It's probably noteworthy that those people playing the song back and forth all day (us) play an mp3 instead of streaming it. That file may or may not have been procured through legal channels. According to my library I played it 24 times at home and 17 times on the ipod. Not counted anywhere

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 29, 2020 15:38

Nikkei
It's probably noteworthy that those people playing the song back and forth all day (us) play an mp3 instead of streaming it. That file may or may not have been procured through legal channels. According to my library I played it 24 times at home and 17 times on the ipod. Not counted anywhere

Also curious as to how the counts work in reverse.
Meaning, I access it through Spotify, which we have a subscription, so no additional costs.
Have played it a similar amount of times as you, not sure if it counts as one or 41 or none?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 29, 2020 16:00

georgelicks
Doxa

- Doxa

Some people is expecting even a debut on the lower part of the Billboard Hot 100, that would be impressive actually for a band of 70's year old people.
Their last Billboard Hot 100 hit was on 2003 with the remix of SFTD (#97) and back on 1998 with the last original song, Saint Of Me (#94).

How cool. Circumstances are unique; they struck while the iron is hot. Nevertheless, I hope they’re encouraged by the reception!

Date: April 29, 2020 16:07

Doxa
NilsHolgersson
[www.billboard.com]

??? That of week of May 2nd is just their funny way of keeping a track of their lists me thinks. I mean, we do still live April, don't we?

So as far as I understand that list actually covers April 17 to April 23. So it is a bit behind of 'real time'.

But I don't know much about the facts so this is just my guess.. I could be totally wrong... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Since being curious of anything Stones-related, and don't know a shit, I decided to check this out. From [www.billboard.com] I found:

"Charts reflect sales and airplay between Friday and Thursday of any given week"

"Charts are refreshed every Tuesday on Billboard.com and reflect the date of the Billboard issue in which they appear; online-only charts display the same corresponding date."

"The printed magazine first reaches newsstands on Saturday. Each issue is dated based on the end of its publication week. Thus, the Billboard that reaches newsstands on Saturday, March 19, for example, is dated that day."

So yeah, in our case, the week of May 2nd actually covers the period from Friday April 17 to Thursday April 23...

- Doxa

Date: April 29, 2020 16:31

MisterDDDD
Nikkei

Also curious as to how the counts work in reverse.
Meaning, I access it through Spotify, which we have a subscription, so no additional costs.
Have played it a similar amount of times as you, not sure if it counts as one or 41 or none?

The counting seemingly varies from country to country. In UK, for example, 100 paid streams will equal one sale, as will 600 free streams. (Billboard's way of counting is pure rocket science, including so many different factors, that I better say nothing.)

However, if you were a Britton, you would have now listened 0,41 worth of one sold copy... I have only used free streams (youtube mostly) by now, so I don't think I have 'bought' even 0,1 of a copy yet... What Nikkei does counts nothing (if he hadn't bought the original copy officially)!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 16:39 by Doxa.

Date: April 29, 2020 16:36

It's got 32K scrobbles on Last fm, but I don't think that counts for anything drinking smiley

Date: April 29, 2020 16:50

Doxa

The counting seemingly varies from country to country. In UK, for example, 100 paid streams will equal one sale, as will 600 free streams. (Billboard's way of counting is pure rocket science, including so many different factors, that I better say nothing.)

However, if you were a Britton, you would have now listened 0,41 worth of one sold copy... I have only used free streams (youtube mostly) by now, so I don't think I have 'bought' even 0,1 of a copy yet... What Nikkei does counts nothing (if he hadn't bought the original copy officially)!grinning smiley

- Doxa

I tried to talk my way around that but you pinned me down there. smoking smiley I won't pay for a lossy download when a physical release is already scheduled. I rip my CDs at 320k which also isn't all that good, but has become my music library standard ten years ago. Also when listening to the crappy YT download already ticked all my boxes, I can't be doing it all wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 16:51 by Nikkei.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 29, 2020 18:17

Hairball
Justin
Hairball
deardoctor
MelBelli
Wondering if Charlie’s drums were quantized?

Also not in love with how the kit sounds overall — especially the lack of pop in his snare. But that seems to be a deliberate choice; rather than a big, roomy sound, they wanted a quieter, more chamber-like drum track.

Really digging Mick’s phrasing and melody. That E note he hits when he sings “life was so beautiful” really cuts through..

The song grows more and more to me.
But seriously: it's not Charlie but a programmed drum machine isn't it?

Not absolutely 100% positive, but I just assumed it is Charlie, though I'm not a technical expert or a drummer. My money is on it being Charlie.
However, after reading about how great Darryl's playing is (a simple bass line really) how can we be sure it's actually Darryl playing? It could be Don Was for all we know, unless someone knows for sure otherwise?
And before any overzealous defender here freaks out at the thought of someone questioning the integrity of the recording, I'm not dissing the band or any members - just being genuinely curious.
It's definitely Charlie but quantized and edited. Normally Charlie would be doing a lot more fills transitioning from the verses to chorus to bridges etc but sounds like Mick and Clifford edited all those out to get a clean, uncluttered track. Who knows, maybe Steven Jordan was called in to fill in those gaps where they cut things out...?

So poor Charlie's drumming has been quantized...I guess that's another way of saying his drumming parts have been sterilized or neutered (?)...kind of sad in a way editing out all of his signature fills.

I'm not bothered by it that much actually. Mick and Matt Clifford obviously had a particular sound in mind when cutting this track. Taming Charlie's track is just one more artistic choice like choosing one particular guitar over another or phrasing a vocal line one way instead of another.

Plus, it isn't like this is the first time the Stones have messed with Charlie's drums, yes? They've edited/embellished his parts in the past. I would assume Charlie doesn't love it but he understands why it's done. And in this case, this being a one-off single with ridiculous attention on the band at the moment coming off the at home YCGWYW performance, they had to come out with something slick and modern much to the chagrin of Charlie and especially Keith but to the delight of Mick. I don't expect the other songs on the album (if that ever materializes) to have extensive work on Charlie's drums. But you never know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 18:17 by Justin.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 29, 2020 18:29

keithsman
NilsHolgersson
Mick produced the Exile and Some Girls bonus discs, SuperHeavy album, GRRR!, Blue & Lonesome, Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost, a child (Deveraux), Living in a Ghost Town, lots of Stones tours, a James Brown biopic, a series called Vinyl, The Burnt Orange Heresy, etc etc, I would say he's still very active in his late 70s

I'm sticking specifically to worthwhile original songwriting production on a level that's acceptable and expected from Mick and Keith.
If you want to break it down use the 14 brilliant tracks on Crosseyed Heart against a smattering of pointless efforts. KEITH'S MORE PRODUCTIVE.
Keither has also collaborated with many musicians over the past 20 years, too many to list.

There is absolutely not 14 brilliant tracks on Crosseyed Heart, I think.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 29, 2020 18:31

gotdablouse
Nikkei
I can't stand the phrase "sprinkle some fairy dust" and if memory serves, that is just because of this site here

That's incorrect, these are the very words Keith used to describe his work on "Let Me Down Slow", read up !

Wrong.

In Don't Stop, my job was the fairy dust.

Keith Richards 2002
[timeisonourside.com]

He said something similar about Streets Of Love but that's on the bonus video, can't find it in print.

Date: April 29, 2020 18:39

Hairball
Not sure if this review had been posted yet, but for the most part very positive:

Rolling Stones drop ‘Living in a Ghost Town,’ 1st song in 8 years

Living in a Ghost Town

"...jam-packed with groove, melody and a signature harmonica solo by Jagger.
His vocals seem to have received a small hint of digital auto-tune treatment as well".

Horrible article.

Date: April 29, 2020 18:41

IanBillen
Is not auto-tune folks. By the way .. people use "Melodyne" now ...not auto-tune!

The vocals had "Melodyne" on them...See here >>>> Ima sure (basically EVERYONE uses it and on every track believe it or not) ... however what you hear in Ghost Town is an effect ...not tuning. Melodyne did not create this effect. Melodyne is almost impossible to detect .... even on trained ears. When you actually hear this type of sound such as the vocals on Ghost Town is an effect of some sort .. not the pitch correction. Also Jaggers vocals are tripled in the song. Two in same key and one deeper key.

It's easy to detect. U2 used it on their last album. It's the same as a vocoder. Melodyne is Puffs to Kleenex.

Date: April 29, 2020 19:57

Auto tune is also used as an effect, often more than that of tuning.

And there are spin off-effects used today on recordings.

What the Stones used on Ghost Town does not sound like "state of the art", according to people in the know. More like what's now considered "old school".

Date: April 29, 2020 19:59

Anyway...are the number of hits on YouTube taken into consideration when compiling the charts? I can’t think of a reason they wouldn’t be but I don’t recall YouTube being mentioned on previous posts on the calculations.

Date: April 29, 2020 20:03

SonofHarlemShuffler
Anyway...are the number of hits on YouTube taken into consideration when compiling the charts? I can’t think of a reason they wouldn’t be but I don’t recall YouTube being mentioned on previous posts on the calculations.

On Youtube Music, you mean?

Date: April 29, 2020 20:06

DandelionPowderman
SonofHarlemShuffler

On Youtube Music, you mean?

I would guess he means regular YT which features both the song in orange and the fisheye video. I agree that would be relevant if you're trying to look at 'real' numbers.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2020 20:13

IanBillen
Is not auto-tune folks. By the way .. people use "Melodyne" now ...not auto-tune!

The vocals had "Melodyne" on them...See here >>>> Ima sure (basically EVERYONE uses it and on every track believe it or not) ... however what you hear in Ghost Town is an effect ...not tuning. Melodyne did not create this effect. Melodyne is almost impossible to detect .... even on trained ears. When you actually hear this type of sound such as the vocals on Ghost Town is an effect of some sort .. not the pitch correction. Also Jaggers vocals are tripled in the song. Two in same key and one deeper key.

Interesting, thanks Ian. So it's not autotune, it's not vocoder, but it's melodyne.
Never heard of that, so quickly looked it up via wiki: Melodyne

"Celemony Software GmbH is a German musical software company that specializes in digital audio pitch correction software. It produces Melodyne, a popular audio pitch modification tool similar to Auto-Tune.
Three years before Celemony was founded (in 2000), Peter Neubäcker was working on a research experiment with sound. This experiment later turned into the Melodyne pitch correction product.
Melodyne has become a tool which is used by a large number of professional record producers worldwide to tune and manipulate audio signals, typically a singer's vocals. Melodyne also has facilities for time-stretching, rebuilding melodies. It can also be used to aid the creation of backing vocals from an existing lead vocal. The first public viewing of Melodyne was at the Winter NAMM Show in 2001 and it has since won various awards.[6] As of January 2016, the current release is Melodyne 4. Artists who use the software include Herbie Hancock, Björk, Coldplay, Peter Gabriel, Eka Gustiwana Putra (alongside with Presonus StudioOne), and Thomas Newman"

So now all caught up with the latest effects, including "quantized" - the technique they used to manipulate/edit/screw around with Charlie's drumming.
Definitely more to this tune than meets the eye, and it's a damn fine tune no matter what. But evidently there's still those that think it's Auto-tune....oh well, I'll leave that debate to the experts...

Not hung up on the chart success or failure as it doesn't have an affect on what I think of the song, and the charts these days are a bit convoluted, but I guess it's interesting to see the impact the tune is having.
But from what little of the charts I've paid attention to (by skimming through this thread), seems it's doing OK for a latter day Stones tune? For the sake of the Mick and the Stones, hope so.thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 20:20 by Hairball.

Date: April 29, 2020 20:15

Nikkei

I (legally) bought the single via Google Music, or, correctly titled, Google Play Music. The player only counts how many times I've played it, not streamed it, so true. But so what. Unlike a radio station or jukebox, 7" singles sales in the 1950s-80s only counted as one copy sold. Just as then now when one buys a song how many times its played means nothing.

Which doesn't say much for streaming counting - does anyone make any money from streaming? And don't say 'Yeah, after 3 million plays the artist makes $200' or whatever ridiculous thing it's been for a few years - that is "any" money but it's not making money.

The file that may have been procured through legal channels was in fact legal - both YouTube versions are legal:

Single version
Music video by The Rolling Stones performing Living In A Ghost Town. © 2020 Promotone B.V., under exclusive licence to Universal International Music B.V.

LP version
Licensed to YouTube by
UMG (on behalf of Polydor Records)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home