Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 28, 2020 21:59

Good song, Mick writting work with a recognizable and brilliant Keith contribution.

Mick always prolific and active...
But Keith today ? Is he still able - does he still want - to compose a Stones song ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:01

Four Stone Walls
The 12" of Mixed Emotions - was that a remix?

Much better than the original (which was fine by me)

Yes.

They've had several remixes - real remixes; true remixes:

Miss You
Undercover Of The Night
Too Much Blood
Harlem Shuffle
One Hit (To The Body)
Winning Ugly
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place
Terrifying
Sexdrive
Saint Of Me
Don't Stop

There have been single remixes - Love Is Strong, Out Of Tears, I Go Wild, Out Of Control, Plundered My Soul, Doom And Gloom.

Then you have "remixes", ie club or dance mixes, the ones with extra beats and sounds that aren't part of the original song (RAAHP, Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, ASMB, Rain Fall Down are enough of the horrible "remixes").

Extremely unlikely a remix of LIAGT will be a true remix - very likely it will be full of noise.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:28

GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

I’m embarrassed for my dumbness, but what should I hear?

C

1:48... 'So much time to lose', 'creep in my bed', sounds like he's singing in a bubble.

CORRECTION: it's not autotune.

It's a vocoder.

I wondered, because I never heard an autotune here.
The vocoder is a very different thing

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:28

powerage78
Good song, Mick writting work with a recognizable and brilliant Keith contribution.

But Keith today ? Is he still able - does he still want - to compose a Stones song ?

It seems that nowadays, Keith needs some strong support from his co-partners to motivate him to create something "new". He said it himself in the Netflix documentary, that Steve Jordan really pushed him to work on writing and producing new material. It seems that Keith when he is home does not care about work. Mick is constantly writing, composing, keeping his creative abilities sharp & productive. Keith needs inspiration and help from his friends. Keith, eventually is great anywhere, anywaway.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:29

deardoctor
rebelhipi
SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted
Here's one for the ultrafans: have the band ever released a single that has not been played live on a subsequent tour?

Well, they tried "Wild Horses" a few times, but it didn't stick....I'm still waiting to hear those versions!

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" comes to mind.

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Emotional Rescue
Too much blood

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:35

So basically in his mind Keith is retired and Mick is not

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:52

deardoctor
deardoctor
rebelhipi
SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted
Here's one for the ultrafans: have the band ever released a single that has not been played live on a subsequent tour?

Well, they tried "Wild Horses" a few times, but it didn't stick....I'm still waiting to hear those versions!

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Emotional Rescue
Too much blood

^^^ They've played Emotional Rescue live lol
Tell Me (Not sure if they've ever played it live)
Dandelion
We Love You
Plundered My Soul
No Spare Parts

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-28 22:54 by JordyLicks96.

Date: April 28, 2020 22:53

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

C

1:48... 'So much time to lose', 'creep in my bed', sounds like he's singing in a bubble.

It's a vocoder.

I knew better, yet could only think of autotune. Indeed, completely different. So all the autotune whiners can shut up now.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:56

GasLightStreet
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Thank you!

C

C

It's a vocoder.

I knew better, yet could only think of autotune. Indeed, completely different. So all the autotune whiners can shut up now.

Thank God!

Date: April 28, 2020 22:56

JordyLicks96
deardoctor
deardoctor
rebelhipi
SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Emotional Rescue
Too much blood

Dandelion
We Love You

He asked about a "subsequent tour". Emotional Rescue wasn't released prior to the tour it was played on.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:57

Nikkei
I can't stand the phrase "sprinkle some fairy dust" and if memory serves, that is just because of this site here

That's incorrect, these are the very words Keith used to describe his work on "Let Me Down Slow", read up !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 28, 2020 23:00

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
deardoctor
deardoctor
rebelhipi
SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Emotional Rescue
Too much blood

Dandelion
We Love You

He asked about a "subsequent tour". Emotional Rescue wasn't released prior to the tour it was played on.

ER sure wasn't released AFTER the tour it was played on smiling smiley

Date: April 28, 2020 23:02

Maindefender
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
Is the CD single really "limited edition" as it states on rs.com? I was about to pull the trigger on it when I saw it was $6, which is kinda high...but I'm a sucker for the Stones.....but then after shipping and taxes it's $18!

Whaaaaat?

But if it's the only way to get it (limited edition) and not Amazon or other such places then maybe hence the high price.

Looked at it. No track listing. Besides, based on a majority of things I've read over the past few years, why would anyone order anything from rollingstones.com?

Agree, but CD version doesn't seem to be available anywhere else in the US
If it's only one track, or the edited and LP track, well... I could see getting it if it had both since it doesn't look like the edit version will be available for purchase, you'll just have to copy it off YouTube or whatever.

I bought Plundered just to have the UK mix so... I'd want to know what's on it before buying it just for the sake of buying it. I already bought it on Google Play.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:05

rollmops
powerage78

It seems that nowadays, Keith needs some strong support from his co-partners to motivate him to create something "new". He said it himself in the Netflix documentary, that Steve Jordan really pushed him to work on writing and producing new material. It seems that Keith when he is home does not care about work. Mick is constantly writing, composing, keeping his creative abilities sharp & productive. Keith needs inspiration and help from his friends. Keith, eventually is great anywhere, anywaway.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Actually Mick has produced very little since his last solo album Goddess In The Doorway almost 20 years ago. Even less since the Stones last album of originals 15 years ago.
Keith made Crosseyed Heart a few years ago, remember that one. ??
Keith was forced into retirement before Steve Jordan talked him into recording due to Mick's refusal to work with Keith , probably due to todgergate.
I think you have it all wrong if you don't mind me saying.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:08

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
deardoctor
deardoctor
rebelhipi
SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Emotional Rescue
Too much blood

Dandelion
We Love You

Now I'm confused tongue sticking out smiley Isn't the question just asking if there are singles they've released that have never been played live?

Date: April 28, 2020 23:09

keithsman
rollmops
powerage78

Rockandroll,
Mops

Actually Mick has produced very little since his last solo album Goddess In The Doorway almost 20 years ago. Even less since the Stones last album of originals 15 years ago.
Keith was forced into retirement before Steve Jordan talked him into recording due to Mick's refusal to work with Keith , probably due to todgergate.

Mick has produced very little, Keith even less.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:14

SomeGuy
keithsman
rollmops
powerage78

Rockandroll,
Mops

Did you read my last text, Keith has been more productive due to Crosseyed Heart, Mick's last solo album of originals was 19 years ago.
You don't have to be good with numbers to count to one. winking smiley

Date: April 28, 2020 23:16

JordyLicks96
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
deardoctor
deardoctor
rebelhipi
SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Emotional Rescue
Too much blood

Dandelion
We Love You

Now I'm confused tongue sticking out smiley Isn't the question just asking if there are singles they've released that have never been played live?

Specifically, the tour following its release. So... Emotional Rescue doesn't count. An exact example is Let Me Go.

Date: April 28, 2020 23:18

SomeGuy
keithsman
rollmops
powerage78

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick did... something in 2011. Can't remember what it's called but it wasn't a solo album.

Keith did a solo album.

So, Mick has produced very little, Keith a bit more.

Date: April 28, 2020 23:20

Mick produced the Exile and Some Girls bonus discs, SuperHeavy album, GRRR!, Blue & Lonesome, Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost, a child (Deveraux), Living in a Ghost Town, lots of Stones tours, a James Brown biopic, a series called Vinyl, The Burnt Orange Heresy, etc etc, I would say he's still very active in his late 70s

Date: April 28, 2020 23:23

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
keithsman
rollmops
powerage78

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick did... something in 2011. Can't remember what it's called but it wasn't a solo album.

Keith did a solo album.

So, Mick has produced very little, Keith a bit more.

Mick has released two albums (Alfie soundtrack and Superheavy), plus two songs (Get A Grip/England Lost). Keith only released one album (Crosseyed Heart). And the original posts we are commenting on never said anything about solo albums, just creativity and productivity (and since when is Living In A Ghost Town a solo song?). So, I think mathematically Mick is the more prolific one.
It's not that hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-28 23:25 by SomeGuy.

Date: April 28, 2020 23:25

NilsHolgersson
Mick produced the Exile and Some Girls bonus discs, SuperHeavy album, GRRR!, Blue & Lonesome, Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost, a child (Deveraux), Living in a Ghost Town, lots of Stones tours, a James Brown biopic, a series called Vinyl, The Burnt Orange Heresy, etc etc, I would say he's still very active in his late 70s

Was it non-Stones? I dunno.

Mick couldn't be bothered yet he did do some work on the EOMS and SG leftover tracks. But so did Keith. The rest of that that Mick did, except for that silly solo project, is either Stones or not music, which I think was the point.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:37

My thought's are still the same about the song ..

Note: I want to make clear .. I listened to the song about three or four times the day it came out and about once every day since. I didn't just play it once and discard it.

Not a loser of a song. It is fresh .. unique .. however still Im just not nuts over it. It's mmm ... 'ok'. That's where I am with the new single.

Ian -

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:39

GasLightStreet
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Thank you!

C

C

It's a vocoder.

Either way, they're both gimmicks that artificially alter vocals.

Date: April 28, 2020 23:40

It's still a better song than Imagine Dragons

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:48

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
Is the CD single really "limited edition" as it states on rs.com? I was about to pull the trigger on it when I saw it was $6, which is kinda high...but I'm a sucker for the Stones.....but then after shipping and taxes it's $18!

Whaaaaat?

But if it's the only way to get it (limited edition) and not Amazon or other such places then maybe hence the high price.

Looked at it. No track listing. Besides, based on a majority of things I've read over the past few years, why would anyone order anything from rollingstones.com?

Agree, but CD version doesn't seem to be available anywhere else in the US
If it's only one track, or the edited and LP track, well... I could see getting it if it had both since it doesn't look like the edit version will be available for purchase, you'll just have to copy it off YouTube or whatever.

I bought Plundered just to have the UK mix so... I'd want to know what's on it before buying it just for the sake of buying it. I already bought it on Google Play.

Just remembered Mick Taylor signed my 45 PMS when he was touring shortly after the EOMS Deluxe. Need to locate...lol

Date: April 28, 2020 23:49

Hairball
GasLightStreet
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Thank you!

C

C

It's a vocoder.

So is a phase pedal, wah-wah pedal, reverb... it's different. Apparently you don't like different. Or new. Whatever it is, you ain't getting it.

Is it too trendy? Behind the trend? They're really good at being behind trends. The vocoder has been around for a long time. Longer than the Stones.

It's texture. It works great in this tune.

Date: April 29, 2020 00:06

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Thank you!

C

C

It's a vocoder.

So is a phase pedal, wah-wah pedal, reverb... it's different. Apparently you don't like different. Or new. Whatever it is, you ain't getting it.

Is it too trendy? Behind the trend? They're really good at being behind trends. The vocoder has been around for a long time. Longer than the Stones.

The main difference for me is the fact that a vocoder is an effect, and autotune is essentially an enhancement of a lack of musical ability, i.e. not being able to sing. That's why I'm glad it turns out to be a vocoder on LIAGT (not that I had a problem with it in the first place, but still).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2020 00:07

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

Thank you!

C

C

It's a vocoder.

Come on, no need to be snotty about it eye rolling smiley...I'm not talking about guitar effects, but cheesy gimmicky vocal effects and that's just my opinion.
The only example I can think of someone using a vocoder in rock music was Neil Young on his Trans album early '80s' and it was pretty bad.
For the most part I'm not a fan of gimmicky artificial sounds on vocals whether it's autotune or vocoder, or helium, or whatever.
You're right though - I "ain't getting it", but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the song though - it's the best they've released in years!

Oh yeah...Mister Roboto by Styx...that might be a vocoder also...whatever it was, horrible

Date: April 29, 2020 00:13

I think Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult has a vocoder in it. One of my favourite tracks by that band.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home