Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 27, 2020 18:46

[www.youtube.com]
Mick, Charlie and Matt Clifford watch the football while chatting about Monty Python's upcoming shows at the O2 and a new addition to the setlist

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: April 27, 2020 18:58

The Boys did fine.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:00

Bashlets
Spoke to Matt Clifford briefly outside Four Seasons in Boston last summer. Very nice and acted surprised almost that I knew who he was. He told me album is in the works. It probably helped that I told him I really liked Goddess album which is true. LOL

I saw him last summer down the street from my apartment sitting down at a bar/cafe as I was walking by with my lunch. I shouted out Hi Matt, and he looked like he couldn't believe anyone recognized him. But he smiled and said Hi back as I kept walking. It is a busy area so obviously the other hundreds of people around didn't recognize him.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:12

Cristiano Radtke
There will be an authorised remix version made by a Brazilian DJ named Alok, who've already worked with Mick on his latest single. It will be posted on May 2.

[www.instagram.com]

Many thanks Cristiano!
I prefer the Kevin Parker's remix...far superior to the official version:
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 19:13 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:17

Cristiano Radtke
There will be an authorised remix version made by a Brazilian DJ named Alok, who've already worked with Mick on his latest single. It will be posted on May 2.

[www.instagram.com]

Great news...lots of potential for this song as far as multiple remixes, and hope they release as many as possible.thumbs up

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:41

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Hmm, is this good news or bad news? confused smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:54

As for new remixes, I say the more the merrier, variety is the spice, etc., and it will give this thread a boost...more to dissect and critique and possibly enjoy.
But just remembered DJ Alok and his sad remix treatment of Getta Grip ( Getta Grip Alok )...not very good at all imo.
Then again, he didn't have much to work with to begin with, and Getta Grip was poor no matter who was remixing it.
Now he has a nice foundation to build from with Ghost Town - there's a good possibilty he can enhance it, just hope he doesn't destroy it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 27, 2020 20:59

Four Stone Walls
gotdablouse
@Voodoodrew - couldn't have said it better !

@Four Stone Walls - Nikkei has to know who Clifford is ;-) But to follow up on your "But no idea where Jagger found him." - actually he found him in Montserrat during the SW recording where he was helping Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe [en.wikipedia.org])

As Beast says, does seem be one of Mick's genuine friends, often seen with him at soccer games and that birthday party. He was also referred to as "Mick's muiscal "Aide de Camp" in a Vanity Fair article in early 1992 when Mick was working on "Don't Tear Me Up" in London. Something must have happened though later on in that year because he was only featured on "Angel in my Hear" on WS and only reappeared with the Stones in 2002 with his pre-production credits for Mick's "40 Licks" tracks and another 10 years later as the "musical director" for the YCAGWYW choir. He's risen back to prominence since...Maybe he'll write a book someday so we can understand what happened.

Appreciated gotdablouse (although a blouse in Britain has a different meaning!)

Clifford competence and class/taste was what was what really relaunched them live in 89 and 90 - all the unearthed treasures like Ruby Tuesday And Light Years.

People say it was too 'clean' and keyboardy' but the guitars are strong and Keith loud clear and in his liberated element, prowling a very expansive stage with a grin on his face and firing out clean clear shots. Thinking Sympathy especially. So we all should be grateful to Clifford. And on new single too.

It has come in 'the silk sheet of time'.

I have to admit that I do know who he is. I just like to be introduced to him and what he does

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: April 27, 2020 21:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 21:45 by kuenzer.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 27, 2020 21:45

Stoneage
I don't get the adulation for this track.To me it's pretty bland. Nothing to write home about. It's like any track they have written since Undercover.
I don't see the greatness of it. But it looks like I'm the only one not joining the chorus of praise...

You are not the only one Stoneage...I've played it dozens of times since its release and it still sounds like a very middle of the road latter day Stones song. Nothing special at all. Lyrics are corny, music is very very average. It's doing well simply due to it's connection to Covid19, if it were released at any other time I doubt it would raise an eyebrow.

But, hey, it's a new song and people are loving it...my wife, who isn't a huge Stones fan, thinks it's really good, and the vast majority on iorr are impressed so I'm happy that it makes them happy...but it's not for me.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 27, 2020 22:01

SomeTorontoGirl
SomeGuy
...As for the warhorses, I'd be willing to give up any of them, just to hear them play Living In A Ghost Town, or any other tune that never gets played. Just for the sake of it anyway.

It’s one I’d love to hear live too...maybe replace Miss You and give Darryl a cracking bass solo on another tune. But when it comes down to it, they can play the Rice Krispies jingle for all I care, as long as they perform again.

Also SomeGuy, where ya from? grinning smiley

Didn't they use Rice Crispies in that intro in December 2012? Or was that when I thought I heard it but it was in my sleep. It would be fun if they opened the show with it, and then go into Biggest Mistake or something...

Me from Netherworld btw, go right around the corner and then, what, 6,000 miles east or so.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 27, 2020 22:19

Nikkei
Four Stone Walls
gotdablouse
@Voodoodrew - couldn't have said it better !

@Four Stone Walls - Nikkei has to know who Clifford is ;-) But to follow up on your "But no idea where Jagger found him." - actually he found him in Montserrat during the SW recording where he was helping Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe [en.wikipedia.org])

As Beast says, does seem be one of Mick's genuine friends, often seen with him at soccer games and that birthday party. He was also referred to as "Mick's muiscal "Aide de Camp" in a Vanity Fair article in early 1992 when Mick was working on "Don't Tear Me Up" in London. Something must have happened though later on in that year because he was only featured on "Angel in my Hear" on WS and only reappeared with the Stones in 2002 with his pre-production credits for Mick's "40 Licks" tracks and another 10 years later as the "musical director" for the YCAGWYW choir. He's risen back to prominence since...Maybe he'll write a book someday so we can understand what happened.

Appreciated gotdablouse (although a blouse in Britain has a different meaning!)

Clifford competence and class/taste was what was what really relaunched them live in 89 and 90 - all the unearthed treasures like Ruby Tuesday And Light Years.

People say it was too 'clean' and keyboardy' but the guitars are strong and Keith loud clear and in his liberated element, prowling a very expansive stage with a grin on his face and firing out clean clear shots. Thinking Sympathy especially. So we all should be grateful to Clifford. And on new single too.

It has come in 'the silk sheet of time'.

I have to admit that I do know who he is. I just like to be introduced to him and what he does

Keyboards and drum loops/programming

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 27, 2020 23:07

Is the CD single really "limited edition" as it states on rs.com? I was about to pull the trigger on it when I saw it was $6, which is kinda high...but I'm a sucker for the Stones.....but then after shipping and taxes it's $18!

Whaaaaat?

But if it's the only way to get it (limited edition) and not Amazon or other such places then maybe hence the high price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 23:09 by floodonthepage.

Date: April 27, 2020 23:19

I'm waiting for the release of WHOMP!!!, the multiple disc compilation to appear in 2022, which hopefully will have the song on it (limited edition, of course). Or else on CLUNK, in 2026. I'm not sure if I will be around still for AAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!! in 2032.
Seriously, we can only get it from the RS site? I mean, I want to have that physical copy.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 27, 2020 23:21

I wish there was a b-side like the "Really Wanna Tell the Truth" song

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 27, 2020 23:22

SomeGuy
I'm waiting for the release of WHOMP!!!, the multiple disc compilation to appear in 2022, which hopefully will have the song on it (limited edition, of course). Or else on CLUNK, in 2026. I'm not sure if I will be around still for AAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!! in 2032.
Seriously, we can only get it from the RS site? I mean, I want to have that physical copy.

Isn't the vinyl that's limited? And you can buy the vinyl at other outlets -- or at least I got some emails selling it.

Date: April 27, 2020 23:27

ChrisL
SomeGuy

Isn't the vinyl that's limited? And you can buy the vinyl at other outlets -- or at least I got some emails selling it.

I would buy the vinyl alright, although currently all my vinyl has gone bad (again), due to either heat or humidity (or both), when I had just cleaned the whole collection a couple of years back, and with new plastic inner covers and all. Maybe I will buy a fridge to keep them in.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 27, 2020 23:34

ChrisL
SomeGuy

I'll have to look at it again, but it looked like only the CD single was limited edition, not the vinyl. As you said the vinyl does seem to be available elsewhere (i.e. Amazon, etc.) but I haven't seen the CD single available anywhere else.

UPDATE: RS.com does say "limited edition" for the vinyl, too. "store exclusive..." but I saw vinyl on Amazon, and no CD anywhere but RS.com. ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 23:56 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: April 27, 2020 23:41

Great to hear a new song by the band. It's quite nice song with a touch of reggae and ska. I like it. Looking forward to hear the whole album. Hopefully they stick to approx. ten good songs and therefore less fillers.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 28, 2020 00:06

SomeGuy

Hilaaaaarrriioouuss! Haha got me down on the floor laughing mate!!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 28, 2020 00:08

Mick's voice sounds so good! Like turning back the hands of time.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 28, 2020 00:22

It only occurred to me while locked down on the beach today.

The way forward for them is to release singles of this Calibre as regularly as possible.

Forget albums, (they have really). They started as a singles band and that's how they could continue to the end.

A series of really good quality singles - it would give them lots of material to tour with and keep the whole setup real, spontaneous and less repetetive (warhorse fatigue). Rotate them. Some blues numbers. Plenty of harp. But new singles can also keep up with new styles and techniques etc.

Forget Was, and keep Clifford

Date: April 28, 2020 00:30

A run of eclectic topical singles following a sucessful album full of covers why not

Date: April 28, 2020 00:33

psychedelic period with lots of autotune by 2027

Date: April 28, 2020 00:34

next up the 'classic' period with Mick Taylor

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2020 01:53

SomeGuy

By 2032 I'm going to be too old to be into this band!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:12

Bullshit treacle ... just put some fence-droppers
down the back of ya trousers and drop a few go-go pills ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:31

SomeGuy
TravelinMan
Father Ted
Here's one for the ultrafans: have the band ever released a single that has not been played live on a subsequent tour?

Well, they tried "Wild Horses" a few times, but it didn't stick....I'm still waiting to hear those versions!

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" comes to mind.

Sex Drive? Highwire?
Biggest Mistake

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:36

Okay...so I gave LIAGT a few more listens but still feel it's just an okay sort of song. As a result, I'll stick to my initial assessment that it wouldn't have garnered the attention it's been receiving had it not been for the timely release and topical lyrical content.

Yes, the band appears to be in fit form and Mick's vocal delivery is as good as ever...despite the 'Autotune Factor'...but there simply isn't anything in there that leaves me gasping for air.

However, all that aside, I'm with the rest of you who say it's great just to get some original material from the band after such an extended drought...although I absolutely loved 'Blue and Lonesome'. I'm always interested to hear what the band sounds like in between releases; are we going to get 'vintage' Stones or an 'updated' version with only a passing resemblance to what we've grown accustomed to over the years?

Time will ultimately tell but that question can only be answered if...and when...they decide to release a full album of recently recorded music. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later but it needs to happen ASAP; the boys aren't getting any younger...and neither am I!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-28 02:37 by FancyBluesMan.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 28, 2020 03:06

Remixes - There hasn't been a Stones remix yet that gave me the goosebumps so I'm not holding my breath for this one. All remixes I remember always just took something away but didn't add anything new/worthwhile.

Autotune - When doing this ride with several hours of radio racket I was surprised/shocked how many songs still had autotune (practically all). I thought the trend had meanwhile died away - well, not quite. ...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home