Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:38

KRiffhard
powerage78
Since how long Chuck Leavell has not been involved in a Stones song recording ?

I don’t miss him at all!!
I can live without his plink plink plink!!
So you would prefer Matt Clifford?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: lickedlady1966 ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:44

Here in southern Germany it is played at least twice a day by my favourite radio station. And I am not listening all day, only mornings and late afternoons.
By the way, I love this song, all my family and friends like it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 26, 2020 16:00

TooTough
powerage78
You know another covid crisis song by any other leading artist published in march or april 2020 ?

Oh man, how I wish Angus just pens a Covid Boogie or something,
just to make you blush.

Nothing else to do?

Let There Be Rock is a far better album than Powerage, btw.

+1

ACDC being the most derivative and less inventive band on the planet (no one can remember a single one of their songs since Thunderstruck since they all sound the same, too bad because "Stiff Upper Lip" was a good title for an album) I wouldn't put it past them to try to copy the Stones ! In any case, Powerage78 has found a new axe to grind, after his "best version of JJF ever" copy/paste in each and every concert thread since (at least) 2012, to maintain his status as the sad, sad, saddest human being on earth or at least on IORR ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 26, 2020 16:07

Bashlets
Is this song getting any air play? I heard it once the day it came out on a Boston station but not since and I guess it has a chance of being number 1 in USA

It needs to get a lot of air time to achieve nr 1. Sales are going great But streaming which is an important part is low compared to other tracks. It debuted at #154 on Spotify With 10% of the streaming vs the top track.

Tiff

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 26, 2020 16:09

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
<
auto tune is used to cover the fact the singer cannot carry a tune on their own>

Not here. It's used to obtain a sound or an effect that was modern a few years ago.

Right. There are different reasons to use it. Creative vs corrective.

Most modern day listeners have been conditioned to expect perfect pitch on songs, so everything is corrected, even if the note was only cents off. There's no way around it if you want your music to be tolerated.

I don't get this whole "shame on Mick for using Autotune" ! I'm still waiting for someone to point out EXACTLY where it is distracting or particularly noticeable. Yes there are effects on the voice that "sweeten it", big friggin' deal. Effects have been used on countless Stones recordings in the past.

You want distracting autotune ? Listen to Britney Spears or Macca's [youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 26, 2020 16:14

Bashlets
Is this song getting any air play? I heard it once the day it came out on a Boston station but not since and I guess it has a chance of being number 1 in USA

No way in hell the song will be #1 in the US or UK, you need massive streaming numbers on Spotify and Apple Music to chart inside the Top 10, and the Stones single is not Top 200 on Spotify US and #109 on Spotify UK.

Being #1 on Itunes means nothing this days since the digital sales are very low, you can be Top 5/10 on Itunes but without streaming the chances to make the Hot 100 are pretty low.

Let's see how much can sell the new Stones single, Dylan's single sold 12k in the US and didn't make the Hot 100 or Bubbling Under Hot 100, without streaming you need at least 20k in the US and 5k in the UK to make the Top 100.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 26, 2020 16:21

You grant me too much honor and importance, I did not invent these expressions which invariably come back after each Stones show.

I am also proud to have never been even unpleasant with a member of the forum.

I only express my opinion and I also know the qualities and defects of AC/DC, don't worry. And I am not a lawyer of this band...

gotdablouse
TooTough
powerage78
You know another covid crisis song by any other leading artist published in march or april 2020 ?

Oh man, how I wish Angus just pens a Covid Boogie or something,
just to make you blush.

Nothing else to do?

Let There Be Rock is a far better album than Powerage, btw.

+1

ACDC being the most derivative and less inventive band on the planet (no one can remember a single one of their songs since Thunderstruck since they all sound the same, too bad because "Stiff Upper Lip" was a good title for an album) I wouldn't put it past them to try to copy the Stones ! In any case, Powerage78 has found a new axe to grind, after his "best version of JJF ever" copy/paste in each and every concert thread since (at least) 2012, to maintain his status as the sad, sad, saddest human being on earth or at least on IORR ;-)

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 16:22 by powerage78.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 26, 2020 16:48

tiffanyblu
Bashlets

It needs to get a lot of air time to achieve nr 1. Sales are going great But streaming which is an important part is low compared to other tracks. It debuted at #154 on Spotify With 10% of the streaming vs the top track.

Tiff

That's right, streaming is 90% of the key factor on the singles charts.

Just in case, here are the 3 latest charting singles for the Stones on both UK and US Top 100:

UK
#33 Rain Fall Dowm
#51 Biggest Mistake
#61 Doom and Gloom
* Gimme Shelter peaked at #76 in 2010 while Paint It Black also charted several times between 2007/12 peaking at #70 in 2007.

US
#60 Out Of Tears
#94 Saint Of Me
#97 Sympathy For The Devil 2003 remix
* LARS peaked at #109 on Bubbling Under in 1995

All were previous to the streaming era except Doom and Gloom, but streamimg was not so important in 2012 as it is now.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:00

Beast
Four Stone Walls
Have heard it only once.

But it has passed The old grey whistle test'. So will be a (big) hit I think.

Not groundbreaking, but will break them to new age.

Charlie hasn't added anything to his style 'repertoire' since the eighties, and he's Nealy eight so we wouldn't expect it. But his very simple style does characterise this song and it would be card to find any other drummer these days who could, or would, use his earthy, human, direct KISS technique.

Hello Bestial being and Paulish boy.

From a once mutual riparine and coastal city.

Well, hellooooo!! Long time no hear but good to see you out of the woodwork or wherever. Glad to hear the tune cuts your mustard. It ticks my boxes and now they have just made us hungry for more!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:12

Beast
Four Stone Walls
Have heard it only once.

But it has passed The old grey whistle test'. So will be a (big) hit I think.

Not groundbreaking, but will break them to new age.

Charlie hasn't added anything to his style 'repertoire' since the eighties, and he's Nealy eight so we wouldn't expect it. But his very simple style does characterise this song and it would be card to find any other drummer these days who could, or would, use his earthy, human, direct KISS technique.

Hello Bestial being and Paulish boy.

From a once mutual riparine and coastal city.

Well, hellooooo!! Long time no hear but good to see you out of the woodwork or wherever. Glad to hear the tune cuts your mustard. It ticks my boxes and now they have just made us hungry for more!

Out of the masonry, if you please.

Am in city where we shared a vinho Verde before a Stones' gig.
Worst Stones gig of my life - but thanks 'boys', I've never looked back.

And what a great place to get locked down , and to be rewarded with their biggest hit single since ..... Start Me Up, probably. (which I don't rate highly).

Mick is not hard enough on himself though.

This needed cowbell, bill and the other missing ingredienf is of course, .... Some tasty slide from Mick Taylor!

Then it muts my custard.

But great to have Matt Clifford back - complete class - and all the tasteful extra bits that really make this track a bit more special, and textured.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:15

who the heck is Matt Clifford

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:25

DandelionPowderman
Do you mean IORR, matxil? JJF was always in B.

I think he was saying they played the riff as different notes in the same key. Maybe like when they toyed around with “Satisfaction”?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:27

Whatever way you look at it, this has been a great success for The Rolling Stones.
Probably one reason being it was totally unexpected after the YCAGWYW song on worldwide TV from each Stone at home.
Even when it was posted on IORR, I must admit I was not that hopeful that it was true, but Deathgod was spot on with his post. thumbs up

Date: April 26, 2020 17:29

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I think he was saying they played the riff as different notes in the same key. Maybe like when they toyed around with “Satisfaction”?

Half an octave off?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:43

Although it would be nice to see the Stones back on the billboard hot 100 I'm not getting my hopes up. The kids are streaming Billie Eilish etc all day long, we listen to a Stones song a few times but it can't compete with young people being on their streaming services all day long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 17:44 by NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 26, 2020 17:55

The song has gained a ton of traction with young aspiring guitarists. Check out all of the YouTube videos featuring covers of Living In a Ghost Town.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 26, 2020 18:04

audun-eg
KRiffhard
powerage78
Since how long Chuck Leavell has not been involved in a Stones song recording ?

I don’t miss him at all!!
I can live without his plink plink plink!!
So you would prefer Matt Clifford?

No...i prefer Ben Waters.
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 18:09 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 26, 2020 18:23

Dandy, saw you were logged in. Can you help me with a technical issue? How do I adjust the spellcheck to English? I can't seem to remember how...

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 26, 2020 18:33

georgelicks
tiffanyblu
Bashlets

Tiff

That's right, streaming is 90% of the key factor on the singles charts.

Just in case, here are the 3 latest charting singles for the Stones on both UK and US Top 100:

UK
#33 Rain Fall Dowm
#51 Biggest Mistake
#61 Doom and Gloom
* Gimme Shelter peaked at #76 in 2010 while Paint It Black also charted several times between 2007/12 peaking at #70 in 2007.

US
#60 Out Of Tears
#94 Saint Of Me
#97 Sympathy For The Devil 2003 remix
* LARS peaked at #109 on Bubbling Under in 1995

All were previous to the streaming era except Doom and Gloom, but streamimg was not so important in 2012 as it is now.

Yes and it dropped out of Spotifty 200 now, data was just updated. Though Queen (as a usual saturday) has 3 songs on it. Impressive!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 26, 2020 18:36

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Half an octave off?

Yeah. I’d half to listen but it would be like starting a riff at the fifth rather than the root and playing the same intervals.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 26, 2020 18:37

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Exactly, that's what I meant.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 26, 2020 18:40

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Half an octave off?

Studio version (in B ) : F# F# E F# A E F# A
Live (in B ) : B B A B D A B D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 18:41 by matxil.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 26, 2020 19:10

New York Post - “Stones top the charts”

[www.google.com]

Date: April 26, 2020 19:33

Stoneage
Dandy, saw you were logged in. Can you help me with a technical issue? How do I adjust the spellcheck to English? I can't seem to remember how...

My control center / Forum settings / Language, I think.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2020 19:34

deardoctor
MelBelli
Wondering if Charlie’s drums were quantized?

Also not in love with how the kit sounds overall — especially the lack of pop in his snare. But that seems to be a deliberate choice; rather than a big, roomy sound, they wanted a quieter, more chamber-like drum track.

Really digging Mick’s phrasing and melody. That E note he hits when he sings “life was so beautiful” really cuts through..

The song grows more and more to me.
But seriously: it's not Charlie but a programmed drum machine isn't it?

Not absolutely 100% positive, but I just assumed it is Charlie, though I'm not a technical expert or a drummer. My money is on it being Charlie.
However, after reading about how great Darryl's playing is (a simple bass line really) how can we be sure it's actually Darryl playing? It could be Don Was for all we know, unless someone knows for sure otherwise?
And before any overzealous defender here freaks out at the thought of someone questioning the integrity of the recording, I'm not dissing the band or any members - just being genuinely curious.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 26, 2020 19:46

audun-eg
deardoctor
MelBelli

Also not in love with how the kit sounds overall — especially the lack of pop in his snare. But that seems to be a deliberate choice; rather than a big, roomy sound, they wanted a quieter, more chamber-like drum track.

Really digging Mick’s phrasing and melody. That E note he hits when he sings “life was so beautiful” really cuts through..

It`s Charlie.

You want it Charlie to be.
But it's neither his style nor his sound.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2020 19:52

matxil
DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

Damn, I hadn't noticed it before, but now, especially in the bridge, I cannot un-hear it. It's not really disturbing, and the song really works very well and Mick is great in it, but indeed, I could have done without this particular effect.

I noticed right away when either hearing one of the first preview snippets, or the song in full, and even mentioned it in one of my first comments. At first I shrugged when hearing it like 'whatever', but then it became more and more annoying with each subsequent listen...not quite cringeworthy, but enough to make me wonder why? It's just one of those effects/sounds that has always bothered me no matter how or why it was used, and in this case it doesn't make sense to my why Mick bothered to use it at all (just my opinion). Thankfully now I'm used to it, and while I can never unhear it, I'm able to sort of mentally block it out. The bottom line - some people like it, some people don't mind it, and some people don't like it at all. No matter really as it's a good brand new original Stones song released in 2020 to the surprise of most everyone, and the general consensus is most everyone is quite happy with the new song - I know I am.thumbs up

Can't get enough....those Stonesy guitars are sweet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 19:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 26, 2020 21:24

Hairball
deardoctor
MelBelli

Not absolutely 100% positive, but I just assumed it is Charlie, though I'm not a technical expert or a drummer. My money is on it being Charlie.
However, after reading about how great Darryl's playing is (a simple bass line really) how can we be sure it's actually Darryl playing? It could be Don Was for all we know, unless someone knows for sure otherwise?
And before any overzealous defender here freaks out at the thought of someone questioning the integrity of the recording, I'm not dissing the band or any members - just being genuinely curious.
It's definitely Charlie but quantized and edited. Normally Charlie would be doing a lot more fills transitioning from the verses to chorus to bridges etc but sounds like Mick and Clifford edited all those out to get a clean, uncluttered track. Who knows, maybe Steven Jordan was called in to fill in those gaps where they cut things out...?

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: April 26, 2020 21:50

Darryl posted on FB that he enjoyed working on this song...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 26, 2020 21:56

Justin
It's definitely Charlie but quantized and edited. Normally Charlie would be doing a lot more fills transitioning from the verses to chorus to bridges etc but sounds like Mick and Clifford edited all those out to get a clean, uncluttered track. Who knows, maybe Steven Jordan was called in to fill in those gaps where they cut things out...?

does quantized mean all it takes for Charlie is to play like four seconds and you already got the whole track? that stuff I don't like

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home