Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 26, 2020 07:44

ThroughTheLonelyNights
Chris Fountain
Mick Jagger's vocals on track are spectacular.

thumbs up

Agree. And his harp playing as well. As time goes on and in the songs it's featured in, like most of B&L, it gets better and better and more distinctive.

This track gives everyone in the band their moments to shine, both individually and together, if that makes sense. From Charlie's opening beats to
Ronnie, Mick and Keith's background singing, and Darryl's steady bass. Fantastic.
Pure Rolling Stones..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2020 08:05

CaptainCorella
The video.
Having been brought up in London, and having been back there many many times indeed I found the video, in a way, disturbing (it's meant to be I think).

To see such well known locations so utterly empty of people is unreal. Regent St with no-one in it. Picadilly Circus deserted!

If we'd seen this video 6 months ago we'd have assumed digital manipulation of images.... but it's real.

Be scared.

My wife is originally from London - born and raised there before she moved up to Chester as a teen, and then eventually over to America. Before I met her, I had been to London many times - I even lived close by in Guildford for a year back in my university days (apprx. 30 miles to London). Anyhow, seeing those empty streets in the video were indeed disturbing and bought back some scary memories. One of our trips back to London was back in the summer of 2005, and we actually arrived on July 7 the day of the terrorist bombings. Upon landing at Heathrow, the pilot of our British Airways flight announced over the intercom there had been some sort of disturbance, and London was practically under lockdown with the underground and city being essentially closed, but had no other details. After gathering our luggage and learning what had happened, and since the underground was closed, we luckily located an airport shuttle company who were willing to take us in to the city. Somehow and some way, the driver was able to maneuver us through the mostly empty streets of London getting permission to pass through police barricades, etc., before finally getting us safely to our hotel in Bloomsbury near The British Museum and Russell Square very close to where one of the bombings took place. Safe and sound relatively speaking, all we could do was to drink at the hotel bar with other travelers who were all locked down with us while making calls to family and friends letting them know we were safe. Things got somewhat back to "normal" the next day, but their was no doubt tension in the air for quite some time...

Via wiki: July 7, 2005

Ghost Town

Date: April 26, 2020 08:47

Hairball
TravelinMan
Hairball
Not sure why Mick even felt the need to use it in the first place? It's a dated sound effect, and he certainly doesn't need help with his singing.
It really has no place on a Stones tune no matter how little it was used, but whatever, that's just a minor quibble of mine as I think the tune is pretty damn good...
it sort of drifts in and out of my head throughout the day even when I'm nowhere near a listening device.....

Well he has used modulation effects on his voice going back to the 70's. "Rocks Off" and "Can You Hear The Music" for example. I think he just likes to experiment.

Good point, but this auto-tune is from the latter day/modern era of the 90's and has somewhat of a stigma attached to it.
By now there's nothing really experimental, contemporary, or cutting edge about it and it adds nothing but a dated stigma....it's basically old news.
That said, Pete Townshend used a bit of it on at least one of the new Who tunes which didn't hinder the music, but I think he used it more cleverly and subtly than Mick did.

Oh, it's all over that Who-album.

Date: April 26, 2020 08:50

retired_dog
Just two days ago the Stones released their imo best single in decades but some usual suspects have nothing better to do than desperately trying to find an angle for some Mick bashing. First this "Mick's song / Keith does not seem to be into it, looks indifferent in the video" thing that quickly died down after the interviews appeared and now this "autotune affair".

Looks like some people simply cannot celebrate a new and surprisingly good Stones song that appeared almost out of the blue without some stabs against Mick.

Thing is that Mick is the lead singer since their very start and that this most likely won't change for the rest of their career. Get over it!

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2020 08:57

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
TravelinMan
Hairball
Not sure why Mick even felt the need to use it in the first place? It's a dated sound effect, and he certainly doesn't need help with his singing.
It really has no place on a Stones tune no matter how little it was used, but whatever, that's just a minor quibble of mine as I think the tune is pretty damn good...
it sort of drifts in and out of my head throughout the day even when I'm nowhere near a listening device.....

Well he has used modulation effects on his voice going back to the 70's. "Rocks Off" and "Can You Hear The Music" for example. I think he just likes to experiment.

Good point, but this auto-tune is from the latter day/modern era of the 90's and has somewhat of a stigma attached to it.
By now there's nothing really experimental, contemporary, or cutting edge about it and it adds nothing but a dated stigma....it's basically old news.
That said, Pete Townshend used a bit of it on at least one of the new Who tunes which didn't hinder the music, but I think he used it more cleverly and subtly than Mick did.

Oh, it's all over that Who-album.

Wondering then if it will be all over a new Stones album, but I guess we'll have to wait even longer to find out, if we ever find out at all.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 26, 2020 11:09

If any new Stones album is even half as good as the recent WHO album, I would be very pleased (and rather surprised)

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 26, 2020 11:14

MelBelli
Wondering if Charlie’s drums were quantized?

Also not in love with how the kit sounds overall — especially the lack of pop in his snare. But that seems to be a deliberate choice; rather than a big, roomy sound, they wanted a quieter, more chamber-like drum track.

Really digging Mick’s phrasing and melody. That E note he hits when he sings “life was so beautiful” really cuts through..

The song grows more and more to me.
But seriously: it's not Charlie but a programmed drum machine isn't it?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 26, 2020 11:38

deardoctor
MelBelli
Wondering if Charlie’s drums were quantized?

Also not in love with how the kit sounds overall — especially the lack of pop in his snare. But that seems to be a deliberate choice; rather than a big, roomy sound, they wanted a quieter, more chamber-like drum track.

Really digging Mick’s phrasing and melody. That E note he hits when he sings “life was so beautiful” really cuts through..

The song grows more and more to me.
But seriously: it's not Charlie but a programmed drum machine isn't it?
It`s Charlie.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 26, 2020 11:53

It's now universally accepted that "Love is strong" is a sort of "Wicked as it seems part. 2"grinning smiley
Now can we say that "Living in a ghost town" is "Hide Away part.2" ? smiling bouncing smiley

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 11:54 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 26, 2020 12:02

"The usual suspects"... Always this mentality. Either you're with us or you're against us. The truth isn't one-eyed like that. The release of a Stones single seems to be following a defined curve.
In the beginning - always praisal. Overwhelmingly so. Then it cools down a bit. I don't think it's a bad song. Not that good either. It would fit in nicely on "A Bigger Bang" for instance.
It is in that caliber. Let's wait a couple of weeks and see what people writes here then..

Ps. Dandy - how do I set the spellcheck to English? You're the computer wizard...Ds.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 26, 2020 12:20

... is simply fantastic!
Much better than some 70s songs, but I don't like comparisons.
I enjoy this song that grows day by day, everything else is just boredom.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 26, 2020 12:26

It's spotted on No. 1 on Germany's iTune Charts: [www.mix1.de]

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 26, 2020 13:15

Meise
It's spotted on No. 1 on Germany's iTune Charts: [www.mix1.de]

Nr 1 in 19 countries (iTunes) at the moment. But its lagging behind a bit on streams altough that is delayed data. Later today we will have new numbers from Spotify. 750,000 streams during the first Day.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 26, 2020 13:16

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
<
auto tune is used to cover the fact the singer cannot carry a tune on their own>

Not here. It's used to obtain a sound or an effect that was modern a few years ago.

The thing is though, Mick has never been able to replicate the vocals live that we hear in the Studio, this has been the case throughout his life, from Satisfaction to Start Me Up and on to live tracks from Blue And Lonesome and now this, there is just no way he can sing like that so he's using something, he's always had access to vocal enhancement, not sure what but it's telling that he doesn't even attempt to sing some Studio songs like Let It Loose or Time Waits For No One. I'm fascinated by this, he definitely shines live on tracks like Angie and Wild Horses though, so it's confusing in a way, vocally he can be so off the mark live, like with LPTNT or Under My Thumb and GOOMC , almost completely different songs live vocally, I'd just love to know how he created the sound he did in the Studio in the day.

I can't think of another singer that reveals such a change when singing live, such a marked contrast.
Thank God he has people like Bernard to fill in the missing sound and thicken things out or it would sound empty and hollow.

When you are singing live, you have to find a space (in sound) where your voice fits in. If your frequencies come too close to where the guitars are, you cannot hear yourself anymore and then it becomes impossible. In a studio, there are all kinds of ways to adjust the sound of what you hear. On a stage, especially, in a stadium, the voice is much more vulnerable. So, you might end up singing a melody an octave, or, more likely, half an octave lower. With melody based music like the Beatles, that would be much harder, but with the Stones, it normally doesn't even matter (by the way, the JJF guitar riff is half an octave different live than in the studio, I think). Also, high notes are harder to sing, so most of the time, Mick ends up singing things lower than in the studio version. Add to that the stress of 2 hours of singing in a stadium and running around all the time, and it's inevitable that in order to save the voice, one has to adjust the melody. Mick is smart in taking his singing lessons and exercises seriously, which in no small amount contributes to the fact that at his age he can still do what he does so well.

And actually, his professionalism shows, because a lot of singers fail with this when they go live, at much younger ages. (Noteable example: that guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, whom I saw somewhere in the 90s and it was a great band but the singer was embarrassing).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 26, 2020 13:18

DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

Damn, I hadn't noticed it before, but now, especially in the bridge, I cannot un-hear it. It's not really disturbing, and the song really works very well and Mick is great in it, but indeed, I could have done without this particular effect.

Date: April 26, 2020 13:20

Do you mean IORR, matxil? JJF was always in B.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 26, 2020 13:46

Since how long Chuck Leavell has not been involved in a Stones song recording ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 26, 2020 14:00

powerage78

I don’t miss him at all!!
I can live without his plink plink plink!!

Date: April 26, 2020 14:02

Me too, vert easily.
Just a question.

KRiffhard
powerage78

I don’t miss him at all!!
I can live without his plink plink plink!!

Date: April 26, 2020 14:13

powerage78

He didn't play on B2B. At first, he wasn't involved on Blue And Lonesome, but got the okay eventually to add overdubs later.

Date: April 26, 2020 14:15

matxil
DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

Damn, I hadn't noticed it before, but now, especially in the bridge, I cannot un-hear it. It's not really disturbing, and the song really works very well and Mick is great in it, but indeed, I could have done without this particular effect.

It doesn't really bother me, surprisingly. It's done rather sparsely, and it adds something to special places in the song, imo.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 26, 2020 14:28

Is this song getting any air play? I heard it once the day it came out on a Boston station but not since and I guess it has a chance of being number 1 in USA

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 26, 2020 14:35

I like it .

I hope it's on the album when that eventually surfaces .
I might have to order the vinyl single just in case it isn't.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 26, 2020 14:37

It seems all music is "manufactured" these days. This is why Exile on Main Street, and Darkness on the Edge of Town, etc... are special albums. Living in a Ghost Town bucks the trend and comes across sincere and captures current perspectives.

Rockman made a good point (forgot which thread or topic) It would have been interesting to hear the original version of song back in October, 2019. The irony of it all is how the Stones made a #1 hit again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 14:48 by Chris Fountain.

Date: April 26, 2020 14:49

Thanks

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

He didn't play on B2B. At first, he wasn't involved on Blue And Lonesome, but got the okay eventually to add overdubs later.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:05

...apparently...a first #1 hit for the Stones on I tunes...
[nypost.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:18

The Rolling Stones
@RollingStones

No.1 on iTunes in over 20 countries, thank you!
#livinginaghosttown
[twitter.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:28

Hairball
retired_dog
...and now this "autotune affair"

The "Autotune Affair"...might be a good title for their next single, but only if Keith would allow it....maybe/hopefully they'll release a Keith lead vocal next?!

Been loving this tune since the very first 30 second snippet I heard, and have been basking in it ever since. If it's the last original tune they ever release while they're still a functioning band, then nice job - a fine way to go out. It's still fresh and I'm still digesting it all (warts and all), so not ready to give it a ranking amongst their latter day original material, but I can easily/honestly say it's a damn fine Stones tune and I like it much better than the two new tunes that were included on GRRR. Those didn't even sound like the Stones to me -= faux Stones if you will, and the same goes for most of A Bigger Bang, as well as the new tunes that were on 40 Licks which were dismal at best. This new one though...hallelujah! Can't wait for my cd and vinyl copies to arrive, along with the cool t-shirt - I'll be listening to the tune and wearing my short throughout the summer and beyond! If the Some Girls album was part of the soundtrack to the Summer of '78, this new tune will easily be a part of the soundtrack to the Summer of 2020 with the "fond" memories of dealing with the coronavirus crisis!

Thankfully those who repeatedly predicted no new Stones music until the 60th anniversary were completely wrong!

Listening right now...gotta turn up the sound....thumbs up...it's only the Rolling Stones, but I like it.

I think it's fair to say that without Corona, this song would not have appeared right now. Unpredictable things happen all the time, that's life...

Apart from that, I was always only talking about the fabled "new album" and never ruled out the possibility that a new song might escape in the meantime.

And it still remains to be seen if my prediction for the album was really that far off the mark. Judging from the interviews, they talk about a handful (5-6) of songs being ready and finished right now and about some extra time due to Corona to write some more. So they're obviously only halfway through with the new album according to their own words. The other half still needs to be written, not to speak of actually recording it - what is obviously a bit complicated right now unless they want to to it via Internet magic, without actually getting together at one point.

Do the math, and explain why a release date around their 60th Anniversary (could be late 2021 to "coincide with their upcoming anniversary" or sometime in 2022 exactly) would be totally out of the picture right now.

Hell, they might not even be able to do any shows before that time frame!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:28

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Just two days ago the Stones released their imo best single in decades but some usual suspects have nothing better to do than desperately trying to find an angle for some Mick bashing. First this "Mick's song / Keith does not seem to be into it, looks indifferent in the video" thing that quickly died down after the interviews appeared and now this "autotune affair".

Looks like some people simply cannot celebrate a new and surprisingly good Stones song that appeared almost out of the blue without some stabs against Mick.

Thing is that Mick is the lead singer since their very start and that this most likely won't change for the rest of their career. Get over it!

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 26, 2020 15:29

I hope it actually gets air play on radio stations. Can’t put my finger on it but the song has a sort of MISS YOU flare to it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home