Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: April 25, 2020 18:25

I guess the litmus test is which song in the touring set would I be willing to give up to get this one in...

JJF, No
SFTD, No
MR, No
BS, No
GS, No
And so on.

Next question, would it win a fan vote for a show? Pick from...
UMT
Bitch
Monkey Man
or Living in a Ghost Town

I doubt it wins the poll, even if it were more familiar.

So, it's a nice tune, some catchy stuff. Love Charlie's sound, well produced.

It's great to get a new Stones tune, but if I've got a 19 live set song set, I'll vote for Monkey Man and be grateful for the warhorses.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 25, 2020 18:26

Hey Doxa, just quickly scrolling, I noticed you'd left a review. I don't have much time now, so I'm looking forward to savouring it, with a beverage later tonight. Thank you

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 25, 2020 18:32

Good song.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 25, 2020 18:36

Bashlets
I’m approaching 60 in 2 years so I don’t understand streaming, sales etc. I know it’s number one on ITunes so is this actually going to be a bonafide hit in the USA? They haven’t had a top 10 single since Mixed Emotions.

Streaming is a far bigger factor than physical sales these days. Looks like the Stones may have a hit on their hands. Can’t tell you how big of a hit, but it’s certainly off to a great start.

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 18:37 by James Kirk.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 25, 2020 18:39

Stoneage
Dandy
Good to see you back!

Why would it be impossible to play this one live? IMO, it will be a belter on stage.

Thanks, Dandy. I hope you are doing fine. I don't know. Maybe the tentative way the songs starts. Feels more like a mood song than anything else. And the choruses.
The song reminds me of OOC in a way. Not my cup of tea really. But I'm not the only ship adrift on this ocean...
There is a contradiction in what you write, because OOC is often played live at concerts.
Instead, I think this live song does well, just as Mick likes, with an entire stadium singing the chorus ooh oh oh!

Re: Neof the tune.w Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2020 18:57

gotdablouse
As for the auto-tune I'm struggling to hear it and in any case really not distracting unless someone can point me to a part where it is ? Yeah sure Mick's voice in not sraight fom mic to desk but that's been done for years, even on B&L.

On the LP version (and the edit version), "So much time to lose" at 1:53 and then "Every night I am dreamin' and you come creep in my bed". Seems that they raise and lower the effect throughout those lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 18:58 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2020 19:01

Curious to see if there will ever be a list, in order, of the cities in the video.

Date: April 25, 2020 19:06

GasLightStreet
Curious to see if there will ever be a list, in order, of the cities in the video.

Read the credits after the video is finished smiling smiley

It was good to see my town in there.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 25, 2020 19:08

GasLightStreet

There's a list of locations at the end of this vid............I don't think it's in order though.....although Toronto is last which is the same..... [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 19:24

You know another covid crisis song by any other leading artist published in march or april 2020 ?

micawber
The new song is simply the best of the f*&$%' corona crisis until today

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 19:25 by powerage78.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2020 19:42

vibrolux
I guess the litmus test is which song in the touring set would I be willing to give up to get this one in...

JJF, No
SFTD, No
MR, No
BS, No
GS, No
And so on.

UMT
Bitch
Monkey Man

It's great to get a new Stones tune, but if I've got a 19 live set song set, I'll vote for Monkey Man and be grateful for the warhorses.

Living In A Ghost Town will never be played live I think. In any case they’ll not be able to play it until we get the countries opened up again, by which time people will be even more sick of corona virus and lockdowns. I don’t think many will want to hear a song that’s so angst ridden. When we’re free again, people want positive music that reminds them of being together, so they can feel each other again.
Living In A Ghost Town fits very well right this moment. When The Stones can unleash themselves again, the song will be obsolete. It’s still a great song though, and if they do play it, it’s more because it’s a great groove more than the lyrics.

JumpingKentFlash

Rolling Stones hit # 1 on iTunes - LIAGT
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:58

Rock-n-Roll!

[www.showbiz411.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 21:10 by Chris Fountain.

Re: Rolling Stones hit # 1 on iTunes
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:25

#1 on iTunes - [iorr.org] .

Re: Rolling Stones hit # 1 on iTunes
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:27

Irix
#1 on iTunes - [iorr.org] .

Double Pleasure like Double Mint Gum!!! Thanks!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2020 19:56

KRiffhard
I can imagine argentine crowd singing with Mick "Oooooh....oooooh" and no stopping it hot smiley
[mobile.twitter.com]

smiling smiley

Fun to watch Ronnie up at the mic with the Big Boys.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 25, 2020 19:58

bitusa2012
LeonidP
Librarian
Only critique is the tongue image, c'mon a tongue covered by a mask is obvious or at least gray black/tone. I don't get the rehash of burnt orange. Maybe a tongue with a thermometer.

I actually love the "burnt orange" color ... but a tongue covered by a mask, that would have been hilarious!

The tongue covered by a mask would be totally horrible in these times.

Right, "these times" ... nothing like a little joke to lighten things up.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:05

powerage78
You know another covid crisis song by any other leading artist published in march or april 2020 ?

Oh man, how I wish Angus just pens a Covid Boogie or something,
just to make you blush.

Nothing else to do?

Let There Be Rock is a far better album than Powerage, btw.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:06

JumpingKentFlash
vibrolux

JJF, No
SFTD, No
MR, No
BS, No
GS, No
And so on.

UMT
Bitch
Monkey Man

Living In A Ghost Town will never be played live I think. In any case they’ll not be able to play it until we get the countries opened up again, by which time people will be even more sick of corona virus and lockdowns. I don’t think many will want to hear a song that’s so angst ridden. When we’re free again, people want positive music that reminds them of being together, so they can feel each other again.
Living In A Ghost Town fits very well right this moment. When The Stones can unleash themselves again, the song will be obsolete. It’s still a great song though, and if they do play it, it’s more because it’s a great groove more than the lyrics.
Paint it Black doesn't seem like the most positive song, not to mention Doom And Gloom or Wild Horses. Actually the Stones have never written many positive songs ...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:34

bitusa2012
LeonidP
Librarian
Only critique is the tongue image, c'mon a tongue covered by a mask is obvious or at least gray black/tone. I don't get the rehash of burnt orange. Maybe a tongue with a thermometer.

I actually love the "burnt orange" color ... but a tongue covered by a mask, that would have been hilarious!

The tongue covered by a mask would be totally horrible in these times.

gimme a mask covered by a tongue

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:37

JumpingKentFlash

When The Stones can unleash themselves again, the song will be obsolete.

good call

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:48

Well I really like this new song and it reminds me of a lot of stones songs, apart from all those already mentioned in this thread, the part in the bridge reminded me on if I was a dancer (“the radio…”, I think it’s just mick’s pronunciation)
But there’s another thing that’s on my mind since yesterday, which is the contrast between the stones’ current public image and their contemporary studio work. Taking LIAGT and doom and gloom as well as mick's two songs from last year, they are all very bleak and gloomy. I know, we also have Gimme Shelter or Paint it Black, but with the more recent ones the darkness is much more direct and explicit and as with LIAGT (or England Lost) a direct commentary on current situations and the world at the very moment, while these older examples are timeless and more general in its bleakness. There are not many examples for stones songs that are corresponding directly to current events (Highwire comes to mind). Yet in complete contrast to these recent songs, there is their public persona and media image, which nowadays (at least in my eyes) is very much (apart from being living legends…not like 20 years ago when they often were seen as have-beens and old farts) that of these big entertainers (very apolitical, uplifting and positive). This, for example, is also very well in line with their performance (and the reception thereof) in last week's global citizen event (playing an old song; no comments on anything as many of the other participants did, just the song to entertain/uplift people and that’s it)
Well that’s just been some random thoughts, maybe somebody else can bring that to a better conclusion, or any at all, but I still think this contrast is kind of odd...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:59

DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

I’m embarrassed for my dumbness, but what should I hear?

C

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:07

Nikkei
JumpingKentFlash

good call

Nope.
it will still be relevant and resonate with people, as they are likely going to be one of the first big bands in line to perform live when able to do so.

Date: April 25, 2020 21:24

Nikkei
JumpingKentFlash

good call

And hopefully there will be some more new songs to choose from for them to play live by then.
Lyrically, this one will always be a time capsule of it's time (similar to the way England Lost is), and once this pandemic is under control, the lyrics will be somewhat dated/obsolete.
The tune will always be linked to the pandemic (for better or worse), and doubt they'd want to revisit and rehash it all in a live setting which could be more than a year from now at least.
Besides all that, I really don't think they could do it justice live - it seems to be too much of a pristine studio track, though I guess it would be interesting to hear how they could reinterpret it live.
Not holding my breath for that though, and am instead simply enjoying the track for what it is...a new Stones tune c. 2020. For me it easily stands up with the best of all their latter day work (which isn't really very much) from the last 35 year or so, and will always think of living through the pandemic whenever I hear this tune for the rest of my life...."Whoa-o-o-oa...whoa-o-o-o...I'm a ghost..."

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:35

Doxa,
Thanks for your fascinating comments above.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 25, 2020 21:39

liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

I’m embarrassed for my dumbness, but what should I hear?

C

A distorted voice, with an effect my daughter instantly spotted as "so 2009 auto tune-effect" smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:43

I wish too spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

TooTough
powerage78

Oh man, how I wish Angus just pens a Covid Boogie or something,
just to make you blush.

Nothing else to do?

Let There Be Rock is a far better album than Powerage, btw.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: April 25, 2020 21:52

Auto-tune: It has a rubbery, bendy, artificial sound to it - here's some examples:

While Micks use isn't quite as prevalent and extreme as some of the above examples, it's there and ultimately seems unnecessary ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 21:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:55

Testify
JumpingKentFlash
vibrolux

JJF, No
SFTD, No
MR, No
BS, No
GS, No
And so on.

UMT
Bitch
Monkey Man

Paint it Black doesn't seem like the most positive song, not to mention Doom And Gloom or Wild Horses. Actually the Stones have never written many positive songs ...

That’s true, but don’t you think that, for the most part, people see those rather gloomy songs as something positive? Not the subject matter of course, but the songs’ “anthemness”.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:57

vibrolux

JJF, No
SFTD, No
MR, No
BS, No
GS, No
And so on.

UMT
Bitch
Monkey Man

To me this new song would be the ideal opener of a renewed set list. Then I would want as many songs as possible from a new studio album. Every one of the new songs to me may substitute any of the old songs. Brilliantly as they are, they belong to a different age. After such renewal of the setlists, I am prepared to accept what there were left of earlier songs. However, to me the attraction would be the new songs.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home