Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: April 25, 2020 02:42

I like it!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2020 02:54

Rockman
Doom & Gloom
Gotta Get a Grip
Living In A Ghost Town .....

Every Day Feels Like Sunday

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2020 03:04

HHHaaaaaaaaaa....

Errrr yeah but has mick been
warning us of something acomin over
some of those last songs Back Of Hand... Doom.. Grip...Ghost...
while Keith more worried about who robbed his stash ...hhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 25, 2020 03:11

Goya's paranoias have had him thinking there since UNDERCOVER. The first time Jerry sidled up to a wealthier older man, Mick seemed to regain a political focus and a distinctly Latin-tinged one at that. Bianca should have been proud. It seemed to happen again post-Jerry on A BIGGER BANG, too. Interesting to speculate.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2020 03:29

The Disasters of War Plate 69 -- Goya 1810

ROCKMAN

Date: April 25, 2020 04:32

Rockman
HHHaaaaaaaaaa....

Errrr yeah but has mick been
warning us of something acomin over
some of those last songs Back Of Hand... Doom.. Grip...Ghost...
while Keith more worried about who robbed his stash ...hhhaaaaa

And he said he "toned this one down" from it's original lyrics.
"Too dark".. took out words like "plague".

Would like to see original lyrics sometime.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 04:34

When Mick used autotune with SuperHeavy, I wondered if he'd ever use it with the Stones, and now he has; but I think it's used discreetly and well, only really dominating it spots, and with a euphonious result.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: April 25, 2020 04:38

Title5Take1
When Mick used autotune with SuperHeavy, I wondered if he'd ever use it with the Stones, and now he has; but I think it's used discreetly and well, only really dominating it spots, and with a euphonious result.

What about Doom & Gloom? It doesn't matter anyway, yeah

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: April 25, 2020 05:09

Only critique is the tongue image, c'mon a tongue covered by a mask is obvious or at least gray black/tone. I don't get the rehash of burnt orange. Maybe a tongue with a thermometer.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 25, 2020 05:25

Librarian
Only critique is the tongue image, c'mon a tongue covered by a mask is obvious or at least gray black/tone. I don't get the rehash of burnt orange. Maybe a tongue with a thermometer.

An homage to The Burnt Orange Heresy? grinning smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 25, 2020 06:50

Love this track

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 06:52 by James Kirk.

Date: April 25, 2020 06:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 06:59 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 07:19

MoreFastNumbers
Title5Take1

What about Doom & Gloom? It doesn't matter anyway, yeah

Uh, there ain't no autotune in Doom & Gloom (for fcks sake!). I've studied Doom & Gloom enough so I could play and sing it myself.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 07:38

I have been listening to "Living in a ghost town" for the last half hour.......

I like it, I like it a lot....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2020 08:40

There's similarities between the Stones' new 'Ghost' tune and Blur's 'Top Man' from 25 years ago - at least the beginning part of the tune - the chanting/background vocals, as well as similar tempo and drum beat.

And there's the similarties to the Specials' Ghost Town (as several have mentioned), along with the chanting soldiers at the Wicked Witch's castle in the Wizard of Oz ..."O-EEE-O-E-OOO-O"...lol... I hear it clear as day,
But none of that takes away from the coolness of the Stone tune as most great artists lift bits and pieces here and there and make it their own just as the Stones have done here, and have done many times in the past.
Still not liking that autotune part on Micks vocals, and it seems to annoy me more and more with each listen, but there's enough redeeming factors here that thankfully it doesn't destroy the tune as a whole.
This single tune has generated 24 pages already...imagine if there was a WHOLE new album to discover, dissect, and critique...10 songs or so...maybe some day there will be....

The Stones have hit #1 on iTunes with “Living in a Ghost Town”
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 25, 2020 06:56

Great to hear that The Rolling Stones are #1 on the iTunes singles chart with “Living in a Ghost Town” well done!

[www.google.com]

[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 25, 2020 10:59

The song is not their most exciting one, I do not like the autotune part - yet I believe that "Living in a ghost town" is a solid achievement.A bit minimalist, but it works. The interaction between Watts and Richards is impressive, Jagger's vocals are charming, Wood plays great licks. I am glad they do not use too much distortion. I liked "A Bigger Bang", but at times it sounded too distorted. So I would be pleased if they would release a decent album. I actually had given up hope, but "Living in ghost town" is good.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 25, 2020 11:00

I think it sounds a bit like Mick's song Lucky Day.

Re: Neof the tune.w Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 25, 2020 11:06

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
TeddyB1018
Krish Sharma.

Ahh yeah - I think I recall him working with Mick and/or the Stones a couple of years ago on something...

Krishna was an Assistant Engineer on VOODOO LOUNGE and Chief Recording Engineer on A BIGGER BANG, the re-done EXILE and SOME GIRLS overdubs, and the two new tracks on GRRR. He also recorded and mixed BLUE AND LONESOME (his first mixing credit with the band, I believe).

Interestingly, he was NOT involved with "Gotta Get a Grip" or "England Lost." I suspect that's because when Matt Clifford has a producing credit with the Stones (as he does here), it's because he produces the pre-production demo track which is then used to build the finished track on with overdubs. Krishna Sharma is Don Was' guy. Since Keith vetoed those two songs (despite Ronnie and Charlie's participation), Don and Krishna never touched them.

Just guesswork, but it seems logical to me.

Like TeddyB1018 wrote a few pages ago I'm of the opinion that unlike many Mick tracks over the years Clifford may have been involved more recently on LIAGT, especially after hearing Mick's explanations on how that song came to be in the iTunes interview. A Mick idea -> fleshed out with Keith and Steve (Jordan) (so no demo pre-production by Clifford) -> band recordings (including the backing vocals seen in the video) and then "enhancements" over the past month by Mick and Clifford in France.

Is anyone hearing the "Flugelhorn, French Horn, Saxophone" Clifford is credited with ?

As for the auto-tune Im' struggling to hear it and in any case really not distracting unless someone can point me to a part where it is ? Yeah sure Mick's voice in not sraight fom mic to desk but that's been done for years, even on B&L.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 11:17 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: April 25, 2020 11:13

Where to begin..

I can't state enough how happy it makes me to hear a brandnew Stones Song, that is that good, catchy and relevant in 2020! Since I got the word on the upcoming release here, I'm in a state of happy excitement.

Really love the song, and have been listening to it constantly over the past 48 hours. I think it's sounds very contemporary, but Stonesy at the same time, yet not forced, something that has not always been the case. Obviously the lyrics are very fitting, especially after most recent changes and surely help the song to resonate so well all over the world.

I have to say, apart from the song itself, it fills me with quite some pride, that my favourite band, 58 years after their founding, is still there, still on it, still working and still producing relevant gems like this one.

This one will likely be the song Mick has always been wanting to end up with, when he looked for modern sounds for the Stones.

Well done, chaps! Long live the Rolling Stones!

Date: April 25, 2020 11:29

Bluesstone
Where to begin..

I can't state enough how happy it makes me to hear a brandnew Stones Song, that is that good, catchy and relevant in 2020! Since I got the word on the upcoming release here, I'm in a state of happy excitement.

Really love the song, and have been listening to it constantly over the past 48 hours. I think it's sounds very contemporary, but Stonesy at the same time, yet not forced, something that has not always been the case. Obviously the lyrics are very fitting, especially after most recent changes and surely help the song to resonate so well all over the world.

I have to say, apart from the song itself, it fills me with quite some pride, that my favourite band, 58 years after their founding, is still there, still on it, still working and still producing relevant gems like this one.

This one will likely be the song Mick has always been wanting to end up with, when he looked for modern sounds for the Stones.

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 11:51

Bluesstone
Where to begin..

Agree with these sentiments. I just wished the would put more out.

Rod

Date: April 25, 2020 12:05

RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

Guitar track 1 (Keith): Right channel: The one that starts the song, and plays throughout. Rhythm and licks.
Guitar track 2 (Keith): Far right channel: Adds reggae/dub-ish licks in just the right places - several times.
Guitar track 3 (Keith): Center/left channel: Marks chord changes (E/D, I believe) where Mick is just strumming one chord. Plays a few licks, too.
Guitar track 4 (Mick): Center/Left Channel (slightly left of Keith's): The muddy-sounding guitar that strums chords throughout the song.
Guitar track 5 (Ronnie): The clean Strat-sound, mostly playing bluesy licks.

And that's that.

And all of this is just guessing, of course.

You may call it guessing. I call it decades of studying smiling smiley

Luckily, we also have the video to confirm a few things. Guitar track 3, for instance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 12:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 25, 2020 12:12

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DiamondDog7
(please, before you read...don't shoot me! LOL )

Great news indeed. The Stones are working again!

BUT....

I really don't like this song at all. Why?

- Lyrics aren't that good.
- Jagger's voice is still good, but he sings un-naturally.
- Dull beat and overrated.
- Backing vocals are annoying and simple.
- I think Ronnie and Mick are the only ones who plays guitars on this track. And Keith just small short simple lick here and there.
- The whole song is going nowhere.

So, there you have it. Glad that the Stones are doing well, but I rather skip their new stuff. Sorry.

My money goes for the GOATS HEAD SOUP REISSUE later this year.

I disagree...except for "Keith just small short simple lick here and there". It seems a 'Jagger/Clifford' song that i really like but where's Keef?!!!

Guitar track 1 (Keith): Right channel: The one that starts the song, and plays throughout. Rhythm and licks.
Guitar track 2 (Keith): Far right channel: Adds reggae/dub-ish licks in just the right places - several times.
Guitar track 3 (Keith): Center/left channel: Marks chord changes (E/D, I believe) where Mick is just strumming one chord. Plays a few licks, too.
Guitar track 4 (Mick): Center/Left Channel (slightly left of Keith's): The muddy-sounding guitar that strums chords throughout the song.
Guitar track 5 (Ronnie): The clean Strat-sound, mostly playing bluesy licks.

And that's that.

Those reggae licks are almost entirely reminiscent of the reggae licks Ronnie plays on "Cherry Oh Baby."

A couple of times this guitar track adds a little more - some bluesy licks - and you'll hear it's Keith.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 25, 2020 12:13

I can imagine argentine crowd singing with Mick "Oooooh....oooooh" and no stopping it hot smiley
[mobile.twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 12:13 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 25, 2020 12:35

I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Date: April 25, 2020 12:42

liddas
I always had a bad relationship with vocals in general. It’s a sort of mental block. I have some general knowledge of music, but don’t understand singing, not even the basics. I can normally say if an instrument is out of tune, playing the wrong note or has a bad timing, but vocals are Arab to me!. If I had to sing lead to save my life, I would be dead!

All this to say, can one be so kind to explain where the auto tune part starts, and how do you recognize it?

Thank you!

C

Start with the bridge, particularly toward the end. Then check out when Mick sings the word "lose" on a different place in the song.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: April 25, 2020 12:52

KRiffhard
I can imagine argentine crowd singing with Mick "Oooooh....oooooh" and no stopping it hot smiley
[mobile.twitter.com]

That was the first thing that came to my head, "Imagine this in South America"

My 70yr old Mum rang me this afternoon and said "Have you heard the new Rolling Stones Song"

That said it all for me, it was only 18 hours after it was released ! And it was already the chatter on TalkBack Radio and Classic Rock Stations.

Now it's Mainstream and it's barely 24 hours

58yr old band, 40 years since their last number 1....

Amazing

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 12:58

NilsHolgersson
I think it sounds a bit like Mick's song Lucky Day.

Lucky Day one of my favourites from GITD; slinky stuff.

Love the new one, we need one more Keith backing vocal on it: "its a ghost town babyyy" smiling smiley

Well done lads, damn fine stuff.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 25, 2020 13:38

Hairball
There's similarities between the Stones' new 'Ghost' tune and Blur's 'Top Man' from 25 years ago - at least the beginning part of the tune - the chanting/background vocals, as well as similar tempo and drum beat.

And there's the similarties to the Specials' Ghost Town (as several have mentioned), along with the chanting soldiers at the Wicked Witch's castle in the Wizard of Oz ..."O-EEE-O-E-OOO-O"...lol... I hear it clear as day,
But none of that takes away from the coolness of the Stone tune as most great artists lift bits and pieces here and there and make it their own just as the Stones have done here, and have done many times in the past.
Still not liking that autotune part on Micks vocals, and it seems to annoy me more and more with each listen, but there's enough redeeming factors here that thankfully it doesn't destroy the tune as a whole.
This single tune has generated 24 pages already...imagine if there was a WHOLE new album to discover, dissect, and critique...10 songs or so...maybe some day there will be....

Cool song

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home