Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:01

I don’t really post much here and haven’t checked-in over the last few days, so it was a nice surprise when I saw the news on Facebook that the Stones were releasing a new song.

Enjoying listening to it. It’s sounds like a Stones song with a little influence from the Black Keys, which is fine with me as I like them too.

It also looks promising on the new album front in that now that they aren’t touring anytime soon, they’re going to focus a little more on new songs.

- Cam

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:04

TooTough
There are 2 versions around (sorry if someone found out before):

official audio version with the whole lyrics (4:08)

shorter official video version
without these verses (3.59):
PREACHERS WERE ALL PREACHING
CHARITIES BESEECHING
POLITITIANS DEALING
THIEVES WERE HAPPY STEALING
WIDOWS WERE ALL WEEPING
THERES NO BEDS FOR US TO SLEEP IN
ALWAYS HAD THE FEELING
IT WOULD ALL COME TUMBLING DOWN

--> this part is in version 1 and lifts up
the second part of the song again,
what I like better

Still waiting for Oh-Oh Hard Dub Bonus Beats 12" Dirty Hands Club Version Soul Solution Bonus Roll Heavy Disco Vocal Radio Clean Re-Edit Remix winking smiley

Posted by: fela ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:06

I am on the roof of my building lying in the sun listening to it over and over again
..SomeTorontoGirl is right we really needed this
Merci Mr.Jagger

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:32

Nothing like prowling the streets of a Ghost Town with some fresh Stones on headphones

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 24, 2020 21:35

gotdablouse

I tried to download the interview with Youtube-DLG but no luck, are there any tools for that ?

I've made a recording - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:10

Is it Keith doubling vocals with Mick (mainly in the first verse) an octave lower? Or just more Mick?

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:15

Gets better as I listen over and over. I just heard Keith's complete statement on his Twitter (versus announcement on Facebook) - he sounds sane and sober.

Amused by his pjs and Ugg boots- probably his daughters.

https://twitter.com/officialKeef/status/1253350430341554177

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 22:20 by Librarian.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:15

Nikkei
Nothing like prowling the streets of a Ghost Town with some fresh Stones on headphones

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:25

peoplewitheyes
Is it Keith doubling vocals with Mick (mainly in the first verse) an octave lower? Or just more Mick?

Hoped it was Keith but I'm sure it's Mick.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:39

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DiamondDog7
(please, before you read...don't shoot me! LOL )

Great news indeed. The Stones are working again!

BUT....

I really don't like this song at all. Why?

- Lyrics aren't that good.
- Jagger's voice is still good, but he sings un-naturally.
- Dull beat and overrated.
- Backing vocals are annoying and simple.
- I think Ronnie and Mick are the only ones who plays guitars on this track. And Keith just small short simple lick here and there.
- The whole song is going nowhere.

So, there you have it. Glad that the Stones are doing well, but I rather skip their new stuff. Sorry.

My money goes for the GOATS HEAD SOUP REISSUE later this year.

I disagree...except for "Keith just small short simple lick here and there". It seems a 'Jagger/Clifford' song that i really like but where's Keef?!!!

Guitar track 1 (Keith): Right channel: The one that starts the song, and plays throughout. Rhythm and licks.
Guitar track 2 (Keith): Far right channel: Adds reggae/dub-ish licks in just the right places - several times.
Guitar track 3 (Keith): Center/left channel: Marks chord changes (E/D, I believe) where Mick is just strumming one chord. Plays a few licks, too.
Guitar track 4 (Mick): Center/Left Channel (slightly left of Keith's): The muddy-sounding guitar that strums chords throughout the song.
Guitar track 5 (Ronnie): The clean Strat-sound, mostly playing bluesy licks.

And that's that.

Yeah very well spotted, i haven't got your ear for detail but there is a lot of Keith in this song.
What makes me laugh is when people say it's a Mick song or its a Keith song, they forget just how similar Mick and Keith can be musically, for all their differences they actually are very similar and sometimes it's surprised me when I've thought that's definitely Keith and it's been Mick and visa versa.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 24, 2020 22:56

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DiamondDog7

BUT....

- I think Ronnie and Mick are the only ones who plays guitars on this track. And Keith just small short simple lick here and there.

So, there you have it. Glad that the Stones are doing well, but I rather skip their new stuff. Sorry.

I disagree...except for "Keith just small short simple lick here and there". It seems a 'Jagger/Clifford' song that i really like but where's Keef?!!!

Guitar track 1 (Keith): Right channel: The one that starts the song, and plays throughout. Rhythm and licks.
Guitar track 2 (Keith): Far right channel: Adds reggae/dub-ish licks in just the right places - several times.
Guitar track 3 (Keith): Center/left channel: Marks chord changes (E/D, I believe) where Mick is just strumming one chord. Plays a few licks, too.
Guitar track 4 (Mick): Center/Left Channel (slightly left of Keith's): The muddy-sounding guitar that strums chords throughout the song.

And that's that.

Thank you. That information was eye (ear?) opening.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:08

Nikkei
[twitter.com]

unedited, there clearly is evidence of vocal Keith participation

Could watch all day, thank you

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:14

Who's filming with hat on -- Don Was ??

Whos the the beard guy also seen in reflection ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:26

Maindefender
Nikkei
[twitter.com]

Could watch all day, thank you

It's also clearly evidence that this is the same clip in the video of them singing backup to Ghost Town, and not some other tune as speculated. And contrary to my initial impression from watching this clip as seen in the official video (and edited to black and white), looks like Keith is less detached than I originally thought and is having a grand old time - even with hands in pocket! Still though, Ronnie is the most animated and WAY into it, probably because he rarely gets a chance to contribute vocally to Stones tunes. Seems Mick is the most serious and the King of the scene...after all, it was probably his baby to begin with before any others made some contributions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 23:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:30

On first listen it sounded too much like a Mick solo effort but since then it has really grown on me. It's a very solid effort, certainly fits the climate of the times. It's got a catchy tune, hard to get out of your mind, this could well become the "theme song" of the pandemic.

Well done Stones, anxiously waiting for more new material!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Date: April 24, 2020 23:35

the more you listen to it, it's actually full of guitars

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:44

Rockman

Krish Sharma.

Date: April 24, 2020 23:45

TeddyB1018
Rockman

Krish Sharma.

hame hame hare

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:46

Could it be Rick Ruben?

Re: Neof the tune.w Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Date: April 24, 2020 23:56

TeddyB1018
Rockman

Krish Sharma.

Ahh yeah - I think I recall him working with Mick and/or the Stones a couple of years ago on something...
Could it have been him who had Mick utilize the autotune on the vocals? Seems unnecessary and my least favorite part of the tune...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 25, 2020 00:36

@Irix - thanks for the interview rip !

Nikkei
the more you listen to it, it's actually full of guitars

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier today, who else does that these days ?! In spite of all the money, fame, etc...at heart they remain a good old guitar band, toiling away as they've always done.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 25, 2020 00:48

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DiamondDog7

BUT....

And that's that.

Yeah very well spotted, i haven't got your ear for detail but there is a lot of Keith in this song.
What makes me laugh is when people say it's a Mick song or its a Keith song, they forget just how similar Mick and Keith can be musically, for all their differences they actually are very similar and sometimes it's surprised me when I've thought that's definitely Keith and it's been Mick and visa versa.

I have no ear for music and can’t even begin to imagine how Dandy can know this.

But. Something’s been bugging me since I started listening to LIAGT ... couldn’t figure it out for a long time. Then I realized that the song reminds me of another good one I’ve heard this year. One that Dandy wrote. So, yeah, now I can understand how he can pick up on all this - he damn near wrote it! It would be great sport to watch Dandy go all ABKCO on their ass... settle out of Court, have an amazing party! Or is the lockdown getting to me? You listen and tell me. grinning smiley

Date: April 25, 2020 00:52

Erm............................ confused smiley

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 01:23

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DiamondDog7

BUT....

And that's that.

Those reggae licks are almost entirely reminiscent of the reggae licks Ronnie plays on "Cherry Oh Baby."

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: April 25, 2020 01:49

DandelionPowderman

And that's that.

And all of this is just guessing, of course.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 25, 2020 02:25

keithsman

Agreed about Bard's exceptional ear. He and Mathijs always have fascinating posts when it comes to details.

Just my opinion for what it's worth about calling a Stones track a solo song. It's just reflective of the fact that over the last 35 years they developed separate musical identities and no longer always seem Twin-close. I remember playing BRIDGES TO BABYLON in the car probably 5 years after it came out and my wife thought I was mixing Stones songs with Winos songs and didn't think some of it sounded at all like the Stones.

Likewise, it's easy to hear "Streets of Love" and dismiss it as a Mick solo song. I know a guy who is a big Stones fan but hates Keith's voice and the slow songs he sings. He thinks the Keith vocal spotlights on albums and in concert are Keith trying to keep his solo identity going within the Stones and believes it drags the band down. He's also among the crowd that wanted to see Keith replaced a decade or so ago believing the band would be better for it.

The truth is when we don't like a Stones track, it's not because it's Mick solo or Keith solo, we're just noticing who Mick and Keith became and the latter-day Stones sometimes reflect those musical distinctions. We want it to be the past, but can never be. It's just The Rolling Stones in whatever year you're listening to.

Date: April 25, 2020 02:33

Rocky Dijon
I know a guy who is a big Stones fan but hates Keith's voice and the slow songs he sings. He thinks the Keith vocal spotlights on albums and in concert are Keith trying to keep his solo identity going within the Stones and believes it drags the band down.

No way I'm on board with that but he does have a point

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2020 02:37

Doom & Gloom
Gotta Get a Grip
Living In A Ghost Town .....

ROCKMAN

Re: Neof the tune.w Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Date: April 25, 2020 02:37

Hairball
TeddyB1018
Krish Sharma.

Ahh yeah - I think I recall him working with Mick and/or the Stones a couple of years ago on something...

Krishna was an Assistant Engineer on VOODOO LOUNGE and Chief Recording Engineer on A BIGGER BANG, the re-done EXILE and SOME GIRLS overdubs, and the two new tracks on GRRR. He also recorded and mixed BLUE AND LONESOME (his first mixing credit with the band, I believe).

Interestingly, he was NOT involved with "Gotta Get a Grip" or "England Lost." I suspect that's because when Matt Clifford has a producing credit with the Stones (as he does here), it's because he produces the pre-production demo track which is then used to build the finished track on with overdubs. Krishna Sharma is Don Was' guy. Since Keith vetoed those two songs (despite Ronnie and Charlie's participation), Don and Krishna never touched them.

Just guesswork, but it seems logical to me.

Date: April 25, 2020 02:40

Nikkei
Rocky Dijon
I know a guy who is a big Stones fan but hates Keith's voice and the slow songs he sings. He thinks the Keith vocal spotlights on albums and in concert are Keith trying to keep his solo identity going within the Stones and believes it drags the band down.

No way I'm on board with that but he does have a point

The guy isn't exactly my favorite person but I have to see him because we have a connection other than the Stones. That said, I thought the absence of a Keith vocal (to say nothing of the way his guitar was mixed) hurt BLUE AND LONESOME on a whole.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2011
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home