Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: April 24, 2020 16:50

Green Lady
ohotos
At the first listen yesterday I was surprised and thought that LIAGT is definitely better than anything I would have expected from the Stones. I liked it. Now, a day and quite a few listens later I actually love it! I really liked Doom and Gloom but I think this is even better.
During the first listen today I actually got goosebumps during several parts of the song, especially when Mick's harp comes on. My body reacting to it like it usually only does during concerts, so I think it must be a really good song that resonates with me. I thought well, if I got goosebumps this time it probably won't happen again during the second time I listen to it in the day... I was wrong!
I would love to see them play this live.
Yesterday during lunch I casually told my wife that I'm happy because the Stones released a new song. She absolutely hates the Stones but I played it to her and she said something like "oh this is actually nice, I'm going to download this" - so if someone as anti-Stones as my wife likes it I think it might have a chance of getting quite a bit of success even with non-Stones fans.
For reference, the only other Stones song that my wife finds bearable is Miss You.
I forgot to add.... I also told my colleague that the Stones have anew song. She is a big U2 fan, doesn't particularly know the Stones. She loved it. Said she liked the bluesy feel.

Well, now we know it's a proper Stones song. It's got an incomprehensible-to-outsiders acronym. Congratulations ohotos on being the first to type... LIAGT!

grinning smiley I can't believe I was actually the first one to type it, haha

Edit: I just checked and I think the honour of using LIAGT first goes to peoplewitheyes in the new album thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 16:59 by ohotos.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2020 17:16

Irix
gotdablouse

I would have sworn Keith say "great minds think alike" in his video snippet yesterday but can't find it now, or was it in a post ?

It was here: [www.RollingStone.com] .

The complete Interview (27m:40s) by Zane Lowe of Apple Music: [Music.Apple.com] - (Keith's statement Pos. 20:54).

Thanks, will listen to the complete interview, I also found this that seems to be a transcription of sorts : [faroutmagazine.co.uk]

EDIT - wow Keith needs to upgrade his phone system ! I tried to download the interview with Youtube-DLG but no luck, are there any tools for that ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 17:20 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 24, 2020 17:22

Props to deathgod to be first report and accurate. Cred brother. Keep us posted.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: April 24, 2020 17:50

Now available in HD and flac at Qobuz: [www.qobuz.com]

Re: Living In A Ghost Town
Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:04

ohotos
I wouldn't mind an album with ten songs of the same caliber.

I’d LOVE an album with 10 songs of this caliber!

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:05

[twitter.com]

unedited, there clearly is evidence of vocal Keith participation

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:06

The Rolling Stones Hit Number 1 on iTunes (First Time Ever) with Spectacular Quarantine Anthem “Living in a Ghost Town”

[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:09

ohotos
Green Lady
ohotos
At the first listen yesterday I was surprised and thought that LIAGT is definitely better than anything I would have expected from the Stones. I liked it. Now, a day and quite a few listens later I actually love it! I really liked Doom and Gloom but I think this is even better.
During the first listen today I actually got goosebumps during several parts of the song, especially when Mick's harp comes on. My body reacting to it like it usually only does during concerts, so I think it must be a really good song that resonates with me. I thought well, if I got goosebumps this time it probably won't happen again during the second time I listen to it in the day... I was wrong!
I would love to see them play this live.
Yesterday during lunch I casually told my wife that I'm happy because the Stones released a new song. She absolutely hates the Stones but I played it to her and she said something like "oh this is actually nice, I'm going to download this" - so if someone as anti-Stones as my wife likes it I think it might have a chance of getting quite a bit of success even with non-Stones fans.
For reference, the only other Stones song that my wife finds bearable is Miss You.
I forgot to add.... I also told my colleague that the Stones have anew song. She is a big U2 fan, doesn't particularly know the Stones. She loved it. Said she liked the bluesy feel.

Well, now we know it's a proper Stones song. It's got an incomprehensible-to-outsiders acronym. Congratulations ohotos on being the first to type... LIAGT!

grinning smiley I can't believe I was actually the first one to type it, haha

Edit: I just checked and I think the honour of using LIAGT first goes to peoplewitheyes in the new album thread.

Oops - sorry, peoplewitheyes. I haven't been following the new album thread very much lately.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:10

Nikkei
[twitter.com]

unedited, there clearly is evidence of vocal Keith participation

Cool, so it was the actual recording of the song, I guess the keep videos of everything these days !

Mick on Zoom tonight : [twitter.com] ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:13

No, Stickyfi gers101, your post wins it!

Thanks for that second good YouTube link of the week

Yes,and of course, this new almost quintessential Stones track just lacks that one vital ingredient. What were they (not) thinking?

It does have the same place and groove of their last UK no 1 single.
Things fell apart after Jimmy Miller.ofcourse.

And seriously, though I can't hear the bass very well on Mr Tinny Tablet, I do believe that Our Bill could/would have added some lunch and slurring character to keep it more real, earthly and ...... Dr Stonesy.Like on Highwire and Sex Drive.

Yes, more Bill and Cow Bell please,

But 8.5/10 ain't bad.

A real number one contender.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:16

TooTough
powerage78
Relevant because opportunist.

Yawn...you are a clairvoyant...you knew it all before. Yawn...

powerage78
you can yawn and be blind, that's the reality. Yes, it is an opportunistic decision during this unprecedented period to make business and occupy the media field. And it is successful.

Yawn...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:35

Doesn’t one unit sale equate to about 1,500 streams? That’s a lot of streaming. I’ve downloaded the single from iTunes. Streaming is a bit beyond my know-how.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:37

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones Hit Number 1 on iTunes (First Time Ever) with Spectacular Quarantine Anthem “Living in a Ghost Town”

[www.showbiz411.com]

Is there a Google Music chart? I bought it there.

Date: April 24, 2020 18:38

MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
Starts talking about the changes around the 1:00 minute mark.
[www.youtube.com]

Have to take what he says with a few grains of tequila salt. Knowing how the Stones work, there's no way he recorded new vocals within the past few weeks and they got it done.

He literally says he made some changes in a few interviews.
You can literally see him in isolation mode singing the revised lyrics off of an iPad,
But yeah, grain of salt.

Alright alright, was finally able to read up on it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:40

I really really like it! Been listening to it a lot today. I find it a continuation of the NYC feel. If SG was NYC for the 70's, and BTB was NYC for the 90's, I think LIAGT is very much the feel and groove of NYC in the 20's!!! A very modern groove that does harken back to some of those NYC-esque predecessors. Do I dig it as much as I did Rough Justice when I first heard that? No, but for me, it is definitely better than Doom & Gloom, which I have never liked. I do love One More Shot, though, and I might be in the minority on that one!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 19:00 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: no satisfaction ()
Date: April 24, 2020 18:41

thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 18:57 by no satisfaction.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 24, 2020 19:06

VoodooLounge13
I really really like it! Been listening to it a lot today. I find it a continuation of the NYC feel. If SG was NYC for the 70's, and BTB was NYC for the 90's, I think LIAGT is very much the feel and groove of NYC in the 20's!!! A very modern groove that does harken back to some of those NYC-esque predecessors. Do I dig it as much as I did Rough Justice when I first heard that? No, but for me, it is definitely better than Doom & Gloom, which I have never liked. I do love One More Shot, though, and I might be in the minority on that one!!!

I really like One More Shot also

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 24, 2020 19:28

Wondering if Charlie’s drums were quantized?

Also not in love with how the kit sounds overall — especially the lack of pop in his snare. But that seems to be a deliberate choice; rather than a big, roomy sound, they wanted a quieter, more chamber-like drum track.

Really digging Mick’s phrasing and melody. That E note he hits when he sings “life was so beautiful” really cuts through..

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 24, 2020 19:30

VoodooLounge13

I agree with Some Girls NYC in the 70's.....but LIAGT is more London / Global IMO.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2020 19:38

bobo
jenyk
It´s good to see the Stones are together and alive but I rather play the whole Crosseyed Heart album than this one song.

Then do that.

Or why not do both?

Crosseyed Heart + new original Stones tune ...this late in the game, they're on a winning streak and makes me yearn for more.
Might even dust off the average/so-so Blue and Lonesome covers album, but probably not............

Hoping for some remixes and extended versions, etc. of the new tune...seeing as it's just one tune they need to milk it for all it's worth.
Or better yet, release another new tune! And then another!! And what about a new Keith lead vocal?!!! Eventually there will be enough new/original Stones tunes to make everyone happy!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 24, 2020 19:41

Four Stone Walls
Have heard it only once.

But it has passed The old grey whistle test'. So will be a (big) hit I think.

Not groundbreaking, but will break them to new age.

Charlie hasn't added anything to his style 'repertoire' since the eighties, and he's Nealy eight so we wouldn't expect it. But his very simple style does characterise this song and it would be card to find any other drummer these days who could, or would, use his earthy, human, direct KISS technique.

Hello Bestial being and Paulish boy.

From a once mutual riparine and coastal city.

Well, hellooooo!! Long time no hear but good to see you out of the woodwork or wherever. Glad to hear the tune cuts your mustard. It ticks my boxes and now they have just made us hungry for more!

Date: April 24, 2020 19:53

Wild Slivovitz
Lady Jayne
I liked this review

[www.hotpress.com]

"They don’t need history, or poetry. They’ve got Charlie"
grinning smiley

Nice/honest/funny review.

Regarding Keith's "performance" on he One World: Together At Home broadcast:

"Why was Keith Richards acting like he’d never even heard of a guitar before, much less held one in his hands? We may never know, but...
This is Keith Richards, the lord of the riff, the most rock n’ roll rock n’ roller of them all. Ours is not to question why"!

And a nice final paragraph:

"The Rolling Stones are the greatest rock n’ roll band of all time, and they’ve made the greatest rock n’ roll records of all time.
That’s not the start of an argument, that’s just an Earth-is-round-and-Sun-is-hot fact. Is this up there with those pinnacles of all human achievement?
Of course it isn’t. Does it rock? Yes it does. Why, it’s as catchy as Covi… well, you know what I was going to say. The twilight of the gods is a ways off yet".

thumbs up

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:01

There are 2 versions around (sorry if someone found out before):

official audio version with the whole lyrics (4:08)

shorter official video version
without these verses (3.59):
PREACHERS WERE ALL PREACHING
CHARITIES BESEECHING
POLITITIANS DEALING
THIEVES WERE HAPPY STEALING
WIDOWS WERE ALL WEEPING
THERES NO BEDS FOR US TO SLEEP IN
ALWAYS HAD THE FEELING
IT WOULD ALL COME TUMBLING DOWN

--> this part is in version 1 and lifts up
the second part of the song again,
what I like better

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 20:22 by TooTough.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:03

Its okay for a MJ song and A minor groove for a solo record but for a RS new song
I prefer more riffs and power chords. CrossEyed Heart gets me going more with the 1-5-4 chord progression then the new song. I was hoping for something more.

Date: April 24, 2020 20:04

peoplewitheyes
Not the most favourable review from the NME

but it does conjure up some funny images:

''“Feel like a ghost / Living in a ghost town,” he complains, strutting along palatial hallways to make his own bloody sandwich, ''

Oooh...that's a mean/nasty review....evidently NME doesn't like Mick and the Stones anymore? Haha...

"Jagger has form on such matters. In 2016 he was one of the first to release a Brexit song in the shape of the industro-funk ‘England Lost’, an incisive-sounding song ruined by muddled lyrics that could’ve been transcribed wholesale from a nursing home debate on the referendum where everyone involved forgot if they’d voted Leave or Remain halfway through. ‘Living In A Ghost Town’, despite being The Stones’ first original song since 2012, is a similarly rushed and half-baked comment on our current predicament".

Ah well can't win 'em all, and if I recall Getta Grip/England Lost had absolutely no positive reviews from any publication or anyone for that matter (except a few diehards on this board winking smiley)...
At least a majority of the 'Ghost' reviews have seemed positive so far, from professiona critics and fans alike. thumbs up

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:15

wo oh oh oh,
wo oh oh oh.

Re: New Stones song drops tomorrow
Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:23

gotdablouse
Get your T-Shirt : [store.digitalstores.co.uk]

"All net proceeds from the sale of this product will be donated to the COVID-19 relief efforts of The Musicians Benevolent Fund, working as Help Musicians UK, a registered charity (number 228089 in England and Wales), with a minimum donation per product sold of £10/€10/$10. HELPING MUSICIANS UK IS AN INDEPENDENT UK CHARITY FOR PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS OF ALL GENRES, FROM STARTING OUT THROUGH TO RETIREMENT."

Love the song, love the orange vinyl, love the t-shirt - order is done
Love the Stones!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:37

Finally listened. I really like the song & performance. IMHO, bodes well for the new record.

Date: April 24, 2020 20:46

Big Al
Doesn’t one unit sale equate to about 1,500 streams? That’s a lot of streaming. I’ve downloaded the single from iTunes. Streaming is a bit beyond my know-how.

Isn't that weird? I've never understood that. How can that "equate" to a sale? I'm guessing it's strictly chart wise, which these days doesn't mean anything, really.

It's like saying "I plant trees to offset throwing plastic away" - the plastic doesn't go away.

Date: April 24, 2020 20:50

TooTough
There are 2 versions around (sorry if someone found out before):

official audio version with the whole lyrics (4:08)

shorter official video version
without these verses (3.59):
PREACHERS WERE ALL PREACHING
CHARITIES BESEECHING
POLITITIANS DEALING
THIEVES WERE HAPPY STEALING
WIDOWS WERE ALL WEEPING
THERES NO BEDS FOR US TO SLEEP IN
ALWAYS HAD THE FEELING
IT WOULD ALL COME TUMBLING DOWN

--> this part is in version 1 and lifts up
the second part of the song again,
what I like better

Nice find! HA HA. Love it when they issue different edits or mixes.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home