Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 68
Re: New Rolling Stones song "Living In A Ghost Town" out now
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:07

Nate
If you order the T-shirt is there any guarantee you will actually receive it sometime before the next worldwide pandemic.

Nate

"Ships on or around May 29, 2020"

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:07

MisterDDDD
"100% OF THE NET PROCEEDS GENERATED FROM THE PURCHASE OF THIS T-SHIRT SHALL BE DONATED* TO MUSICARES (https://www.grammy.com/musicares)."

This is nice... on order.
Swore I also saw a new tongue shirt design somewhere in the promos..

I was wondering if this was the case...glad to see.

thanks for posting

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:08

Mick talking about the single......... [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:09

peoplewitheyes
Happy Birthday MadMax

'a big line of Mr Watts'

That's some funny shit!

smileys with beer

Thank You very much Buddy!!!

Yeah, that's one of my AKA when one's out getting itchy for the ladies roomsmileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:12

Song is really good.Mick sounds great, like he hasn’t sounded this good in over 20years.But why is Matt Clifford playing more on this than Keith?Hopefully the new album will have more collaboration between Mick and Keith

Date: April 24, 2020 00:12

Lets hope the shirts are not made in china!

Nate
If you order the T-shirt is there any guarantee you will actually receive it sometime before the next worldwide pandemic.

Nate

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:13

i thought this was a wind up when i read the band were releasing a single, but thats great news, maybe they have more in the box they might want to release to, amazing achievement when you consider the first single was released in 1963 and now 57 years on they still make music, also the stones longevity takes them to 2020 an amazing time of 58 years ongoing, this also puts the single high wire into the first half of the stones career, i wouldnt have believed that all those years ago. hope we get back to normal soon and hope to catch another show one day.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:17

Re the receive the shirt before the next pandemic question: I have read here that some have had problems with ordering through the official store, but I have done so several times and always had a positive experience and the merchandise was as advertised.

I have ordered and received a couple of shirts, the vinyl BBC set, a number of vault releases, that exile on main street 7" record box (so flippin kool!), the confessing the blues vinyl 10" edition and at least one poster, most of those in separate orders. I would also add that the shipping charge they impose is pretty reasonable when many would tend to gouge the buyer on "handling".

Did I just get lucky or something? Or did it change over time? Just put in a pre order for the new single so fingers crossed.

jb

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:20

I like it! I like it! I like it!

A really good song that fits the current times , and the sound of The Rolling Stones.

Is it hit or miss as they used to say in Juke Box Jury back in the 60's.

A hit for me, and hope some of the financial proceeds go to the NHS here in the UK.thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:20

gotdablouse
A pretty "hilarious" (as in "you can't beat that style") review by Alexis Petridis in the Guardian [www.theguardian.com]

4 of 5 stars, and overall nice/honest review:

"Referencing the coronavirus crisis over sleazy dub-influenced backing,
this is a light, trim and relevant sound for the Stones"

Not sure how well it would go over in a live setting, but I'd like to find out some day...preferably in a very small club...even though it will probably never happen

"They (lyrics) are certainly a far better attempt at coming up with something contemporary and newsy than
A Bigger Bang’s clumsy Sweet Neo-Con or indeed Jagger’s Skepta-assisted solo single England Lost"

Those two song suck in general and not just because of the lousy lyrics, while this one is much better quality musically with the lyrics being just slightly underwhelming.

"It’s also burnished by intriguing sense of vaguely dub-influenced space.
At one point, it breaks down to little more than a stabbing, echoing organ with a vintage reggae flavour".

Again, will we ever hear it live? Probably not but it would be nice. If and when they ever do tour again, they'll probably just stick with the same old setlists.
Besides, not sure how well this would translate in a gigantic stadium w/apprx. 100,000 people...a small club would be the best, but the odds of that happening again are near zero.

"Latterday Stones albums have been marred by a sense of being overworked – not least Bridges to Babylon, with its tortuous gestation and plethora of producers.
But here, as on Blue and Lonesome, knocked off in three days, working at speed seems to have had a beneficial effect on the music: Jagger says he wrote it in 10 minutes.
Living in a Ghost Town feels trim and light on its feet. It’s clearly not going to depose Brown Sugar or Sympathy for the Devil from the setlist whenever the Stones return
to arena-packing, but it’s substantially better than the stuff Jagger and Richards came up with 15 years ago".

That pretty much sums it all up.thumbs up

Now it's time to listen to it AGAIN and REJOICE at the fact that's there's some NEW ROLLING STONES MUSIC in the world.smileys with beer

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:21

MadMax
Sat down with a pint of Guinness and a big line of Mr Watts and turned out the lights after warming up with Hampton 2nd half, (my 38th on monday), terrific tune!!

Black and Blue vibes, yeah but also sounds a bit like Laugh, I Nearly Died and as someone wrote earlier, Sweet Neo-Con. I like it, bit of reggae and an urban style crawling king snake tune, the perfect polar opposite of two sweethearts of mine (I dig 'em) One More Shot and Doom And Gloom.

Listened on Youtube and straight after I get I Contain Multitudes by Mr Dylan and IMHO Stones are swingin'! (They Always have done, minding myself)

I just pray we get the boys back on the road as soon as possible and they will be able to put a Little crazy "modern" section with this Little m*****cker and I Go WIld and a couple of others, well one can Dream. But this week has been a perfect birthday week for me, I am just grateful they're still here and giving us all this joy and EXCITEMENTsmileys with beer

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATE smileys with beer

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:23

Nice little write-up in New York Magazine:

[www.vulture.com]

QUARANTUNING 4:47 P.M.
The Rolling Stones Have Arrived Right on Time
By Craig Jenkins@CraigSJ

I didn’t think it was possible to have nostalgia for a city I currently reside in, but reducing travel to the five-block radius around my building has made me miss places and people situated only two or three miles away. I haven’t seen grass in six weeks. I’ve been looking at the same six trees for the same six weeks. My neighborhood is, to quote a friend, like 3 a.m. all day. There’s people out and about but not much for them to travel to and from. The new neighborhood bar that was making a new tradition out of Saturday night shouting matches has gone quiet. The tattoo parlor that used to blast new rap into the night is all dim window lights and no music. The spirit of the city is in retreat, but every night at 7 p.m. we’re reminded that we’re all living through the same struggle. COVID-19 is touching everything. I wince a little when I see someone cough on a TV show now. I have emotional responses to lyrics that were never intended. This week, I reacted strangely to the Alan Parsons Project deep cut “I Don’t Wanna Go Home,” a song about a gambling addict who can’t pull himself away from a catastrophic game of cards. I could see where he was coming from. I wish we didn’t have to stay inside, but here we are.

The Rolling Stones didn’t write their new song “Living in a Ghost Town,” the British blues rockers’ first in eight years, about the current crisis, but I think astute poets can smell a bad time coming, and music is also slippery and reflexive. Really, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are singing about good times past. We’ve all had intense nostalgia for simpler times at some point in the last five years. “Ghost Town” fits in with recent works by ‘60s and ‘70s rock alums like Bob Dylan, whose “Murder Most Foul” uses the JFK assassination to remind us how we cope as a community in turmoil; Ozzy Osbourne, whose new album Ordinary Man is something of a musical monument to the godfather of metal’s heyday; and the Who, whose (!) 2019 self-titled album kicked off with “All This Music Will Fade,” a zen acknowledgement of the fact that time passes, and with it, so do people.

The Stones track lands in the sweet spot between wistful boomer nostalgia and tacit acknowledgment that the sands of time have shifted, and once again we’re looking fondly backward instead of excitedly forward. The faint whiff of dub accents that surface in the back end of the song (see: the harmonica that really sounds like a melodica) is a reminder that the band cares about Jamaican music as well as the stuff from America. Are the Stones moving on from the sweaty blues of the 2016 covers album Blue and Lonesome? It’s not like we have any choice but to wait and see.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:25

IORR, but I Like it.

Short Oslo, Norway clip at 0:59:03 - 1:01:08 Prinsens gate (Posthallen)

All the Best!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:27

MadMax
keithsman
Hairball
Listened a few times earlier when it was first released and liked it, now back home listened full blast w/headphones watching official video...love it!

Keith looks bored singing backup in the video w/hands in pocket though...sort of detached from it all....maybe this is one of the tunes he didn't like much which contributed to delays...
if so, oh well...too bad Keith - it's a damn nice tune!smiling smiley

What are you going on about, Mick said he wrote it with Keith, it's got Keith's sound, it's got Mick's sound, it's the sound of the Stones and its great, Keith asked Mick to put it out, they both like it and want it out there ffs

Yep and we're so happy for it M8!!! Keith is just doin' his "Down under in '73 a la 2020 cool" pose winking smiley

I think, Keith's distance from the mike is just for sounding reasons. If that's the live session which went on the record, then they just wanted his part a bit more in the back, because there's 3 voices on 1 track. If they'ld had seperated the voices into 3 tracks (and sung sepereately), then he would have sung it in 'normal' distance to the mike and later his part would or could have been mixed more in front or in the back or anything else.

But here ... maybe it's just social distancing, hehehe ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 00:29 by waterrats.

Date: April 24, 2020 00:32

keithsman
Hairball
Listened a few times earlier when it was first released and liked it, now back home listened full blast w/headphones watching official video...love it!

Keith looks bored singing backup in the video w/hands in pocket though...sort of detached from it all....maybe this is one of the tunes he didn't like much which contributed to delays...

What are you going on about, Mick said he wrote it with Keith, it's got Keith's sound, it's got Mick's sound, it's the sound of the Stones and its great, Keith asked Mick to put it out, they both like it and want it out there ffs

Just pondering and speculating based on the various things I perceive...
Keith looks withdrawn and lacking enthusiasm in the video (imo),
Many people are saying it sounds like Mick solo, though I wouldn't go that far as it's way better than that (ie this is Stonesy)- again imo.
Anyhow, no big deal...settle down...a new Stones tune is here...enjoy it, I know I am.thumbs up

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:33

keithsman
MadMax
Sat down with a pint of Guinness and a big line of Mr Watts and turned out the lights after warming up with Hampton 2nd half, (my 38th on monday), terrific tune!!

Black and Blue vibes, yeah but also sounds a bit like Laugh, I Nearly Died and as someone wrote earlier, Sweet Neo-Con. I like it, bit of reggae and an urban style crawling king snake tune, the perfect polar opposite of two sweethearts of mine (I dig 'em) One More Shot and Doom And Gloom.

Listened on Youtube and straight after I get I Contain Multitudes by Mr Dylan and IMHO Stones are swingin'! (They Always have done, minding myself)

I just pray we get the boys back on the road as soon as possible and they will be able to put a Little crazy "modern" section with this Little m*****cker and I Go WIld and a couple of others, well one can Dream. But this week has been a perfect birthday week for me, I am just grateful they're still here and giving us all this joy and EXCITEMENTsmileys with beer

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATE smileys with beer

Cheers mate! Thank you very much!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:34

I love how Mick points out that the Beatles never even played Madison Quare Garden

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:36

Just heard it on Dutch radio 2. Radio version is a different version adding "my friend" after "Please let this be over. Not stuck in a world without end" ("Please let this be over. Not stuck in a world without end, my friend") not heard on the download version.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:41

Amazing.
Just ordered the cd single.
Not sure if that preorder counts as a sale for the charts

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:50

Instrumental version
[we.tl]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:53

.... wanna read the original lyrics ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:53

U2Stonesfan
Instrumental version
[we.tl]

that's useless

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:54

buttons67
this also puts the single high wire into the first half of the stones career, i wouldnt have believed that all those years ago.

Hahah omg. Who would have believed that back then?

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:55

Nikkei
U2Stonesfan
Instrumental version
[we.tl]

that's useless

Then don't download it..

Date: April 24, 2020 00:56

Taylor1
Song is really good.Mick sounds great, like he hasn’t sounded this good in over 20years.But why is Matt Clifford playing more on this than Keith?Hopefully the new album will have more collaboration between Mick and Keith

He isn't. There are at least three guitar tracks from Keith in there - that I could spot.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2020 00:57

deardoctortake1
A re work of Hold On You? from Voodoo Lounge outtakes
[youtu.be]

Yes I pointed that out before but that song is called "Ivy League" (as per the vocal version on Voodoo Stew) and not "Hold On You", that error is due to a song separation problem on the original "Voodoo Brew". Mick's "Hide Away" and "Lucky Day" are pretty close cousins too, as well as the old 78/79 outtake "Gangster's Moll".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 24, 2020 00:59

U2Stonesfan
Instrumental version
[we.tl]

thumbs up

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 24, 2020 01:00

I'm going to bed now. This was a great day. When I woke up I knew nothing. Then I saw the thread here saying "new single tomorrow". It turned out to be true. Not tomorrow but even today. Now we have it already, video and all. Gonna watch it one more time. Every day the Stones release a new single is a great day!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 24, 2020 01:01

If you watch the video that Mick put out of himself talking about the release you can hear him saying the stones were in the studio recording some of his new material.

Nate

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2020 01:01

Hairball

I'd be surprised if this was the actual footage of the recording of "Ghost Town" in LA last year, it could just be footage from these sessions (or others) synced to the music. Keith's guitar playing at 1:50 is clearly unrelated. Mick singing the lyrics off his pad in his French chateau is likely more legit ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 68

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home