Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 23 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Date: April 20, 2020 17:29

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Seemingly the 'whole' world is praising the Stones for their performance as a highlight of the show, and here are people complaining... It's only IORR but I like it...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Exactly. Must be bugs in their cereal, or something...

The 'whole world' doesn't know how much better they could have been. We do. But they were still great, both for doing it and for the performance.

They certainly did better than I expected, with four iPhones (supposedly), but I get now that quite a few expected more than this smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2020 17:32

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
People rip Mick Taylor’s playing on the 50 and Counting Tour,although I think he was mostly great.Why can’t someone say in their opinion Keith was not good Saturday?

Of course you can. Just like I can ask you why it you didn't find him good.

I don't know what Taylor has to do with this, though.

Taylor also was a Rolling Stone, long ago, and seemingly some people liked him. That's about it. smiling smiley

So was Stu. And Brian. But they didn't play on Saturday smiling smiley

The licks that Keith (Let it Bleed) Taylor (Live) and Wood (Live) played on YCAGWW have certain similarities. Brian (as far as I know) nor Stu - he was the pianist-didn't play like that on YCAGWW. Problem solved.smiling smiley

What similarities? I hear Ronnie lift a couple of Keith's lines from LIB. Taylor created his own lines when the Stones slowed down and drastically changed their live version from 1972 and on (before using the old arrangement again from 1989). Do you mean the "if you try sometimes-parts"?

The lines they have been playing all their lives, rooted in Blues/ Rock. I don't wanna get stuck in one song. The Stones are bigger than YCAGWYW only.

Oh, I thought we were discussing YCAGWYW. My bad smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 17:37

Great mixing and editing job from Mick for sure.
A DVD soon so ?

DandelionPowderman
Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Seemingly the 'whole' world is praising the Stones for their performance as a highlight of the show, and here are people complaining... It's only IORR but I like it...grinning smiley

- Doxa

The 'whole world' doesn't know how much better they could have been. We do. But they were still great, both for doing it and for the performance.

They certainly did better than I expected, with four iPhones (supposedly), but I get now that quite a few expected more than this smiling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 17:37 by powerage78.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 20, 2020 18:08

Doxa
Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Those 'we' seem to possess that kind of knowledge that I don't have. Personally they surpassed my expectations, and, taking the circumstances, I don't know how they could have done much better. A solid and distinguished package of great music, charisma, vitality and humor they offered. Each did well, and with the Stones the whole is always bigger than the sum of its parts. I was and am proud of them. Sometimes the 'world' knows better than the hardcore fans...

- Doxa

Perhaps I should have said "we think we do". People here who have been fans for years have a kind of ideal Stones in their minds, made up of all the best work they have ever done - they know what's theoretically possible (or used to be possible) and no real performance can measure up to that. I think they made a very good job of this.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 18:25

Doxa

- Doxa

Year, amazing, isn't it. I wonder how many of those complainers are real Stones fans grinning smiley

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 20, 2020 18:31

Rockman
The Tubes Don't Touch Me with that full on
reproduction of that wonderful Jack Nitzsche arrangement .......

Thank you for mentioning The Tubes in this thread. They are one of my very few "bucket list" bands. But to be accurate the song is "Don't Touch Me There".....an absolute masterpiece.

Date: April 20, 2020 18:53

It was great to see the four blokes together virtually. A nice stripped down song that shows they still got it.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 18:54

been a fan since the 70's

This was an excellent version of the song

in their 70's themselves especially

ronnies guitar work is exceptional

keith must have not have really wanted to do it

charlie loved it

mick owned it

together they owned it

the rolling stones man

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 20, 2020 18:59

three16
been a fan since the 70's

This was an excellent version of the song

in their 70's themselves especially

ronnies guitar work is exceptional

keith must have not have really wanted to do it

charlie loved it

mick owned it

together they owned it

the rolling stones man

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:02

Doxa

- Doxa
I was very impressed with the Stones performance , that includes all 4 of them including Keith . If anything I think Keith missed being in person the most with his band mates and feeding off each other and feeding off the energy and the passion the 4 of them create (which we all know is Magic with a capital M when all 4 cylinders are firing ) Look Mick was as sharp as ever , with super clean and crisp vocals and sharp guitar work on his Gibson acoustic and if anything maybe a little to hard or firm the way he played the chords at the beginning of each 1st beat of the tempo and such a way like a drummer would keep time , which was very interesting and revealing for this performance ( never let it be said that the Rolling Stones Frontman was not leading because he surely was ! ) Ronnie bless his hands and fingers really nailed it and put in an outstanding performance and for me it truly was a turn back the clock moment in time like it was 1975 or 1981 for Ronnie as he really Shined a light on the fills and the solo which was outstanding !!!!!!!!! As I said earlier about Charlie being enigmatic as ever and that's good enough for me as this was the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, Virginia I Love the Rolling Stones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: April 20, 2020 19:08

If I could make One gripe or bitch it would be the way they showed the 4 boxes with Mick and Keith on the top 2 boxes and Ronnie underneath Mick and Charlie to the left next to Ronnie , which I didn't care for and I would rather have preferred the way the Stones had the 4 screens upright the same way they had them during the Licks Tour ( which I loved so much )

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:13

You have to be honest! Mick and Ronnie carry the whole song, keith hardly contributes. He barely touches the strings of his guitar. And Charlie on an air drum was a little ridiculous. That's my opinion and I know a lot of you will hate me now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 19:24 by rodes.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:21

Yeah, not sure why Keith didn't put a little more in it, he's usually quite the showman, maybe he was not happy about something ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:22

rodes
You have to be honest! Mick and Ronnie carry the whole song, keith hardly contributes. He barely touches the strings of his guitar. That's my opinion and I know a lot of you will hate me now.

haha!

it's true....Keef is so toasty...a pluck here, a vocal there...happy to be anywhere.

thank god Mick/Ron carried their weight and it went off well b/c otherwise, it could've been uncomfortably bad.

you gotta love the guy. KEEEEEEEEEEF!!!

Stones rule.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:27

rodes
You have to be honest! Mick and Ronnie carry the whole song, keith hardly contributes. He barely touches the strings of his guitar. That's my opinion and I know a lot of you will hate me now.

Just watched it again (thanks to the stones retweeting it) and appreciate it more every time.

I personally have zero complaints about it or any of the members, and think they pulled off the best performance of the night, certainly by a group.
Keith contributes plenty... he makes it a Rolling Stones performance.

Mick and Ronnie are a bit (putting it mildly) more technologically minded and had a better grasp of the concept and big picture than Keith or Charlie. Charlie rolled with it extremely well, smiling at the camera etc and mimicking his performance. Keith did as well and added quite a bit of vocals trying to hit the timing etc right. Bravo I say, he did a fantastic job authentically contributing.
They all did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 19:28 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:32

fantastic job?....come on!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:33

That video is trending on YouTube. thumbs up
it's number 13 on the list they show me.
nice smiling smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:36

TheGreek
If I could make One gripe or bitch it would be the way they showed the 4 boxes with Mick and Keith on the top 2 boxes and Ronnie underneath Mick and Charlie to the left next to Ronnie , which I didn't care for and I would rather have preferred the way the Stones had the 4 screens upright the same way they had them during the Licks Tour ( which I loved so much )

Got a number for a great therapist if you need it.

Nate

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:40

Keith is putting down some very tasteful, sweet embellishments and textures. Too bad most here are dismissing it...like the person who mixed this performance.

It doesn't help that Keith's camera was positioned too far thereby making his contributions even more harder to "see."

Date: April 20, 2020 19:44

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
People rip Mick Taylor’s playing on the 50 and Counting Tour,although I think he was mostly great.Why can’t someone say in their opinion Keith was not good Saturday?

Of course you can. Just like I can ask you why it you didn't find him good.

I don't know what Taylor has to do with this, though.

Taylor also was a Rolling Stone, long ago, and seemingly some people liked him. That's about it. smiling smiley

So was Stu. And Brian. But they didn't play on Saturday smiling smiley

The licks that Keith (Let it Bleed) Taylor (Live) and Wood (Live) played on YCAGWW have certain similarities. Brian (as far as I know) nor Stu - he was the pianist-didn't play like that on YCAGWW. Problem solved.smiling smiley

What similarities? I hear Ronnie lift a couple of Keith's lines from LIB. Taylor created his own lines when the Stones slowed down and drastically changed their live version from 1972 and on (before using the old arrangement again from 1989). Do you mean the "if you try sometimes-parts"?

The lines they have been playing all their lives, rooted in Blues/ Rock. I don't wanna get stuck in one song. The Stones are bigger than YCAGWYW only.

Oh, I thought we were discussing YCAGWYW. My bad smiling smiley

No problem smiling smileyYes, also YCAGW. Someone here thought that Taylor is playing there on Let it Bleed. I wrote it was Richards, not Taylor and I hope he notices the difference. All the Stones guitarists use the same tools in this kind of music: the pentatonic / blues scale and their related licks. What's there to discuss apart from different styles?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 19:55 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:46

If Keith was playing electric in openg im sure his playing would have more impact with the iPhone feed.

Date: April 20, 2020 20:02

Nate
TheGreek

Got a number for a great therapist if you need it.

Nate
Do you need a referral for Psychiatrist ?

Date: April 20, 2020 20:04

OpenG
If Keith was playing electric in openg im sure his playing would have more impact with the iPhone feed.
Darn right it would !

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 20, 2020 20:05

It was sweet and honest and authentic.
Mick and Ronnie were prepared and professional; Keith and Charlie were spontaneous.
Charlie stole the show for many people.
I love Keith. He did what he does is turn up and play. He's obviously an old man now but he doesn't give shit if you see that. I loved his harmony singing -- it can steal your heart away.
For something that was clearly put together by Chuck or Mick's guy (very well, too, props to them) it still gave us the live essence of who the Stones are today. I love that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2020 20:16

Swayed1967
Why was Keith playing a guitar when a turnip would've sufficed?

He most certainly didn't 'spice' anything up. And when his back-up vocals are the highlight of his performance there's something off.

Having said that, Mick and Ronnie gave us everything we wanted. I don't think it's a coincidence though that with Keith absent this version of YCAGWYW sounds like it belongs on the Alfie soundtrack. As good as it was, that was Mick ringing the death knell of the band we know as the Rolling Stones. It's a Mick solo project from here on in...

grinning smiley

Poor old Keith...reminded me of an old Grandpa in his golden years alone with his thoughts reminiscing about past glories without a care in the world.
Gotta love him though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2020 20:26

Taylor1
The Stones were way better than McCartney who gave a horrible performance of Lady Madonna.The tempo was all wrong and he can’t sing anymore .Maybe I was wrong to say Keith played bad.Maybe I should have said I would like to hear him play more

No you weren't wrong as it was your opinion, but seems some people here won't or can't accept your opinion and are making a big deal out of it.
And if this was anywhere else other than a Stones board, 99% would probably agree with your opinion, or would have wondered what Keith was doing there at all.
But I agree with your revised opinion...would have been nice to hear more of Keith rather than what sounded like him playing a turnip...lol...(credit to Swayed1967).

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 20, 2020 20:49

spikenyc
I cant believe all the critics here.
That was a fine performance considering the circumstances.
It was for free and for a good cause.

If you've been around here for some time it shouldn't surprise you. Lots of negativity as usual. And usually from the same persons also.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:02

It was so nice to see them, imo it sounded great and it was a good thing for us all. I would have been pleased, if they even been there, maybe smoking a package of cigarettes and have a talk. Instead of that, they had fun and a great appearence, all of them. I love them just for that.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:02

TheGreek

not a bad idea actually now that you mention it....all 4 across w/ no top-bottom

it might've been distorted (stretched out), though....

Long Live Licks! What a tour!

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:03

In general much better than Live Aid in 1985.
That promises for the benefit in 2055!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 23 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home