Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 26 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2020 20:21

SomeGuy
Hairball
SomeGuy
I haven't been following every page of this already long thread so maybe someone else posted this already.
I think that Keith didn't play much on the song because of the way the recording probably came about. Mick must have started the song, instead of -usually- Keith, so Keith had to follow Mick, instead of the other way around which is their normal concert routine. Not only that, but Mick was already playing the rhythm part, so what was Keith going to play anyway? Btw he WAS audible, voice and guitar, he just wasn't playing much. This only illustrates how they work live, Keith takes the lead, starting and halting with his idiosyncratic style and tempos, and the rest follows him. If you have another guy already keeping the pace and playing the chords, there's not much you can do in between that and Ron playing his little embellishments, other than quietly squeeze in a few more minor embellishments, really.

So now wondering if they're purposefully dumbing down Keith's contributions, ie not giving him much space or opportunity. Or maybe Keith is willfully handing over the reins?
He seemed to still shine bright in his role as architect of the Stones sound with his playing and presence last summer, but has Keith simply become a wallflower since then?
They might as well have just turned off his mic and unplugged his guitar. Either that or picked a different song where he would have had more presence. As it is, he's practically invisible (audibly) which is sad to see.
Hopefully we'll see him in better light soon, whether with the Stones or maybe some new solo material and/or performances...maybe another collaboration with someone outside the Stones.
Lone live Keith, and long live the Stones! thumbs up

I wouldn't draw conclusions from this one-off 'band performance'. The only thing it shows, is how the Stones work live when they're on the same stage (and in this case they were not). I'm pretty confident that Keith will assume his role when (if?) they tour again.

No conclusions drawn, just some questions being raised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 20:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 22, 2020 20:28

Hairball
SomeGuy
Hairball
SomeGuy
I haven't been following every page of this already long thread so maybe someone else posted this already.
I think that Keith didn't play much on the song because of the way the recording probably came about. Mick must have started the song, instead of -usually- Keith, so Keith had to follow Mick, instead of the other way around which is their normal concert routine. Not only that, but Mick was already playing the rhythm part, so what was Keith going to play anyway? Btw he WAS audible, voice and guitar, he just wasn't playing much. This only illustrates how they work live, Keith takes the lead, starting and halting with his idiosyncratic style and tempos, and the rest follows him. If you have another guy already keeping the pace and playing the chords, there's not much you can do in between that and Ron playing his little embellishments, other than quietly squeeze in a few more minor embellishments, really.

So now wondering if they're purposefully dumbing down Keith's contributions, ie not giving him much space or opportunity. Or maybe Keith is willfully handing over the reins?
He seemed to still shine bright in his role as architect of the Stones sound with his playing and presence last summer, but has Keith simply become a wallflower since then?
They might as well have just turned off his mic and unplugged his guitar. Either that or picked a different song where he would have had more presence. As it is, he's practically invisible (audibly) which is sad to see.
Hopefully we'll see him in better light soon, whether with the Stones or maybe some new solo material and/or performances...maybe another collaboration with someone outside the Stones.
Lone live Keith, and long live the Stones! thumbs up

I wouldn't draw conclusions from this one-off 'band performance'. The only thing it shows, is how the Stones work live when they're on the same stage (and in this case they were not). I'm pretty confident that Keith will assume his role when (if?) they tour again.

No conclusions drawn, just some questions being raised.

Only time will tell (and it waits for no one) winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 22, 2020 20:48

I think the reason why the Stones' contribution had such an impact (so many people talking about it, not just us here) is because it was so charming. And it had such a positive vibe. This was not about delivering a perfect performance in the technical sense, it was about delivering something suiting that particular occasion, and that's evidently what they did. Whatever the story behind Charlie's drumming may be, he did exactly the right thing, in the right way. Without Charlie's part it wouldn't have that special flair. Also, it seems very much like Mick, Ronnie and Charlie enjoyed doing their parts. Keith – I don't know, I somehow felt reminded of Keith's playing in Fall 2017 (and also some of the comments here reminded me of Fall 2017), like somehow out of it, like trying to figure out how the song goes while playing along. Maybe he couldn't hear himself (or the track he played to) properly, maybe the guitar didn't sound or feel right to him, maybe he had a problem with Mick's tempo(s) or the slight fluctuations therein (but after almost 60 years in he Stones he should be able to cope with that). Who knows.

Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: April 22, 2020 21:24

I think they are becoming the "Marx Brothers" of Rock & Roll.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: April 22, 2020 23:03

I read about FreeDrum before, but after seeing Charlie drumming so cool I ordered a second hand pair of FreeDrum sticks.
Today I got 'm.... I have to practice a little bit more, but it's fun. They actually work, sort of.

Never have to carry my drumkit around anymore :-)

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 23, 2020 00:02

ErwinH
I read about FreeDrum before, but after seeing Charlie drumming so cool I ordered a second hand pair of FreeDrum sticks.
Today I got 'm.... I have to practice a little bit more, but it's fun. They actually work, sort of.

Never have to carry my drumkit around anymore :-)

They should get Charlie to design the little socks that you wear for the pedals. grinning smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 23, 2020 00:29

ExileFromNJ
I think they are becoming the "Marx Brothers" of Rock & Roll.

Brilliant! Charlie would make a perfect Harpo!

(Aside: Harpo's autobiography is very interesting and unbelievably funny in places.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 23, 2020 01:46

Was there a seconds delay between Mick ,Charlie and Ron ,and Keith,because he was the only one in America ?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 23, 2020 05:52

Taylor1
Was there a seconds delay between Mick ,Charlie and Ron ,and Keith,because he was the only one in America ?

No. It was taped ahead of the broadcast.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2020 11:11

SomeGuy

I think you pretty much nailed it. The difference really is that it is not Keith leading the song, with his 'idiosyncratic style and tempo', as you nicely put it. It's a totally new situation for him (he had been playing the song in a certain way for decades, and what it is with old dogs learning new tricks), and he decided to follow his 'less is more' philosophy, and relying on his natural charm. And I think he did just fine.

But why did they choose to do it that way - not Keith, but Mick seemingly leading the song? Could be a number of reasons, but I guess it is something to do with the existence of a backing track. In a normal live situation they all would follow Keith, but now supposedly a pre-recorded backing track forced them change the procedure. Mick somehow was following it despite starting solo. Or if it didn't exist prior, it was done to mix with Mick, which probably was easier technically than with more 'idiosyncratic' and supposedly not so technology-friendly Keith.smiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-23 11:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 23, 2020 13:19

What did Keith remark at the very end of the song?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 23, 2020 13:47

.....sometimes

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 23, 2020 14:02

Ach so.

Thanks Rockie.

Well done I want to say to the band, excellent job. The more so as the general public considered their contribution as the best of them all participants, in my perception. And, imagine, they are all pushing hard towards the age of 80. Incredible.

d.f

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 23, 2020 14:16

Watched it a number of times now ... its wonderful ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 23, 2020 14:59

dead.flowers
What did Keith remark at the very end of the song?

It sounded like "check it", but ....
By the way, I did get quite some positive responses from "non-Stones fan" people on the great job the Stones did with their "stay at home" performance in One World. Makes one feel proud cool smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 23, 2020 15:46

Nothing really live here.

crholmstrom
Taylor1

No. It was taped ahead of the broadcast.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Rolling Stones Global Citizen Shirt!
Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: April 24, 2020 01:31

Net proceeds go to charity :-)

[store.globalcitizen.org]

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Re: Rolling Stones Global Citizen Shirt!
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 24, 2020 02:14

rcfoxy
Net proceeds go to charity :-)

[store.globalcitizen.org]

Thanks Richard!!
Was hoping this one would come around,

(buying more shirts and cd's with no tour than if it was on)
Good cause though cool smiley

Date: April 24, 2020 02:44

Just bought a Ghost town t-shirt earlier (w/proceed going to MUSICARES), along with two vinyl singles (one purple, one orange), AND the cd single..... and now this....smiling smiley

Wish they had a poster of the Global Citizen design.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 24, 2020 03:44

'Net proceeds go to charity.' Therein lies the problem. How much will go to 'admin' first??? As usual, way too much.

Give locally.

Date: April 24, 2020 03:50

IN CONNECTION WITH THE ROLLING STONES PERFORMANCE ON GLOBAL CITIZEN’S “ONE WORLD: TOGETHER AT HOME” SPECIAL,
100% OF THE NET PROCEEDS GENERATED FROM THE PURCHASE OF THIS T-SHIRT SHALL BE DONATED TO THE COVID-19 SOLIDARITY RESPONSE FUND
FOR THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, POWERED BY THE UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION
(covid19responsefund.org).> GIVE NOW

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 24, 2020 03:53

That seems to be his point: the net proceeds, as opposed to the gross proceeds, going to the cause. Of course there are admin costs, one would hope people work to keep those to a minimum. And of course: some thing is better than no thing. Don't let the paralysis of analysis get to you.

jb

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:01

My point is that many of these 'charity' concerts and whatnot end of wasting more money than necessary.

I honestly hope that is not the case with this but call me skeptical. That is why I suggest to give locally.

Go give some blood. Take some food to an elderly neighbour. Buy some masks and hand out to strangers.

Date: April 24, 2020 05:03

Or all of the above and buy a damn t-shirt....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 24, 2020 05:26

Hairball
Or all of the above and buy a damn t-shirt....

Almost verbatim what I was going to write till I saw your post winking smiley

Personally I would buy the shirt either way.
Oddly, part of it is I still like to support the band by purchasing a shirt and a cd, like I did today.

The fact that the profits for the shirt go to charity, makes it a win/win/win as I also like the shirt.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 25, 2020 17:58

Cheers for sharing just ordered, great design (I thought last Friday when I saw it on insta that’ll look good on a shirt) and a few quid to a good cause

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:29

treaclefingers
triceratops
dimrstone
The Rolling Stones - You Can’t Always Get What You Want Live at One World: Together At Home Special to Celebrate COVID-19 Workers 19/4/20
[www.youtube.com]

This is 99% Mick. Good for the boys. A fake virus panic gets a fake video from the RS. IOW stiff these concerned Hollywood types that put this jive together....as Idiocracy comes early.

Are you saying it's a fake virus, or a fake panic. It's clearly not a fake panic, because people are panicked. A fake virus? People seem to be sick, unless you think maybe they're faking. Trying to understand what in the hell you're talking about.

Fake Stones fan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 28, 2020 22:31

triceratops
Here is Keith at his supreme powers. Very energetic and very participating. He is as decisive and as slashing as Jagger. This was 25 days before he fell from the coconut tree in Fiji.
The Rolling Stones - Live in Saitama 2006/04/02 - Video proshot - 27th show of the tour
[www.youtube.com]

You say the virus is fake and the panic is fake and, magically, here you are talking fake.

Fake Stones fan.

You Can’t Always Get What You Want from One World Together At Home
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 28, 2020 18:58

Released on digital platforms.
If you didn’t knew...

Re: You Can’t Always Get What You Want from One World Together At Home
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 28, 2020 19:31

Blueranger
Released on digital platforms.
If you didn’t knew...

I didn't ... thanks!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 26 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home