Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 25 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 21, 2020 16:47

Stephen Colbert and Jon Batiste discuss the Stones’ performance on Saturday, starts around 0:40.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 21, 2020 18:11

SomeTorontoGirl
Stephen Colbert and Jon Batiste discuss the Stones’ performance on Saturday, starts around 0:40.

Laura Ingraham talked about the Stones on her show last night. She said they were amazing and that she couldn't stop talking about them.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 21, 2020 18:32

Nice bit by Colbert and Batiste. Batiste probably knows what he's talking about. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2020 20:43

stanlove
SomeTorontoGirl

Laura Ingraham talked about the Stones on her show last night. She said they were amazing and that she couldn't stop talking about them.

Goes to show the love of the Stones knows no boundaries or political ideologies, though that was already evident with Clinton, Obama, and Trump loving them!

Edit: just watched a brief snippet of the above video...

Colbert "I'm not sure Keith was playing...he was mostly just kind of petting it...petting the guitar".

Not a fan Colbert, but that comment was slightly funny!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 20:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:22

Hairball

Colbert "I'm not sure Keith was playing...he was mostly just kind of petting it...petting the guitar".

That’s pretty much what I said, too. Caressing, petting, stroking... he was inaudible the whole while Jagger’s guitar was audible, at least.

I’m not a fan of this Colbert chap, either. He seems as ‘bout as nauseating as James Corden.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:25

Rolling Stone posted a new article on the performance, and included the clip of the song from The Rock and Roll Circus.
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 23:21 by bam.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:42

The whole thing was awful and not up lifting. A real downer hosted by three fools.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:58

MrMibbs
The whole thing was awful and not up lifting. A real downer hosted by three fools.

Some were born for social distancing....

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 21, 2020 23:34

Any chance to get spotify audio ...?
thank you in advance

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 21, 2020 23:45

DandelionPowderman
triceratops
Here is Keith at his supreme powers. Very energetic and very participating. He is as decisive and as slashing as Jagger. This was 25 days before he fell from the coconut tree in Fiji.
The Rolling Stones - Live in Saitama 2006/04/02 - Video proshot - 27th show of the tour
[www.youtube.com]

And here he is, doing the same in 2013:

[www.youtube.com]

Yes he moved and played brilliantly at 70 years of age in 2013.

I was even more surprised how well be was moving and playing in Saitama just before the brain surgery, certainly be was never the same after that serious head surgery, but really we should be thankful he continued to tour after that, he really struggled in 2007, but he soldier's on with those hands of his, and miraculously last year he was playing as good as at any time since the 50th anniversary shows.
Such a pity this covid19 has wrecked Keith's chances of capitalising on last year's sobriety, and who knows, now Keith has stopped smoking he might have been more energetic this year.

Why are people judging Keith on his playing a few days ago, everyone knows there is a time delay between London and America, he had to fake it, noodle to it, no choice in the matter.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 21, 2020 23:45

mariano
Any chance to get spotify audio ...?
thank you in advance

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 21, 2020 23:46

Was posted by one earlier in this thread

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 22, 2020 00:21

Big Al
Hairball

That’s pretty much what I said, too. Caressing, petting, stroking... he was inaudible the whole while Jagger’s guitar was audible, at least.

I’m not a fan of this Colbert chap, either. He seems as ‘bout as nauseating as James Corden.

Yeah, the problem with Colbert is that he IS audible

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2020 03:07

Rokyfan
Big Al
Hairball

Yeah, the problem with Colbert is that he IS audible

Not fond of the truth? Colbert is the best of all of them. Kimmel second. In the American market. Keith was barely there. He added nothing on guitar. He only came to for the chorus. It's okay. He's what? 76? That's 490 in Rolling Stones years. I'm just glad they showed up.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 22, 2020 04:12

I'm not a fan of Colbert that's all I said. I have no problem with what he said about Keith's performance. I just don't get how Colbert got his job

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: April 22, 2020 06:07

THE ROLLING STONES were great in the benefit show in comparisons to others. As for Keith, he should have played the electric guitar like he does at the live shows. Had he played the electric guitar he would have sounded great. He was leisurely strumming Spanish guitar. Some people here hoping for 2021 show. Well 2019 was their last. You can't always get what you want, folks.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 22, 2020 07:22

I'm sure Mick will do more performances in the 2020s decade

Posted by: erad ()
Date: April 22, 2020 07:29

Rokyfan
I'm not a fan of Colbert that's all I said. I have no problem with what he said about Keith's performance. I just don't get how Colbert got his job

Colbert was excellent on Jon Stewart's show, as well as the Colbert Report.

Personally I like him.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 22, 2020 12:18

Charlie's? [www.vodafone.de]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 22, 2020 13:56

So do we know who played the drums now ? Mick ? Clifford ? It seems Chuck was not involved as we would probably have posted about it now, must be sulking like he did in 97 and 2016 when he was not part of the original "Blue and Lonesome" sessions ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 22, 2020 14:10

RobertJohnson

Charlie's?

Probably not, because the Free Drums have external Sensors on the Stick - and Charlie's haven't.

As many times explained, Charlie's Sticks in the OWTAH-Video are too thin for being wireless, they haven't external Sensors and also no big Markers for Camera-detection - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 14:30 by Irix.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 22, 2020 14:21

Charlie reminded me of Bob Geldof on sax in 1978............. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2020 15:24

"(A rep for the Stones declined to comment on what was actually going on with Watts’ performance.)"

that's the way to handle it

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 22, 2020 17:43

We will have to wait till Charlie does a radio interview for BBC maybe.
I remember he did one for Steve Wright on his show some years back, and that's still going.
Come on Charlie...........were you miming,or really playing with your electronic drum thingy. smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 22, 2020 19:15

I haven't been following every page of this already long thread so maybe someone else posted this already.
I think that Keith didn't play much on the song because of the way the recording probably came about. Mick must have started the song, instead of -usually- Keith, so Keith had to follow Mick, instead of the other way around which is their normal concert routine. Not only that, but Mick was already playing the rhythm part, so what was Keith going to play anyway? Btw he WAS audible, voice and guitar, he just wasn't playing much. This only illustrates how they work live, Keith takes the lead, starting and halting with his idiosyncratic style and tempos, and the rest follows him. If you have another guy already keeping the pace and playing the chords, there's not much you can do in between that and Ron playing his little embellishments, other than quietly squeeze in a few more minor embellishments, really.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 22, 2020 19:22

It's obvious to me that Charlie was miming his performance to a pre-recorded track. His snare "hits" we were hearing at times did not sync with what he was doing. Not at all. It's hilarious that confused people are still talking about this days later. It's not rocket science.

"(A rep for the Stones declined to comment on what was actually going on with Watts’ performance.)"

Probably because it's ridiculous that they even need to explain what he was doing? He was clearly pretending to play the drums. Even during the part in the song when the drums stop, Charlie continues to "play".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 19:57 by Boognish.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 22, 2020 19:25

Ah! Ah! Charlie reminded me of the video Love Is Strong where the chimneys sounded.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 22, 2020 19:28

So, if I understand this correctly, the supposition is that Charlie mimed to a drum part, by actually appearing to use air drums, while he wasn't actually playing even those? That's some elaborate trick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 19:30 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2020 19:35

SomeGuy
I haven't been following every page of this already long thread so maybe someone else posted this already.
I think that Keith didn't play much on the song because of the way the recording probably came about. Mick must have started the song, instead of -usually- Keith, so Keith had to follow Mick, instead of the other way around which is their normal concert routine. Not only that, but Mick was already playing the rhythm part, so what was Keith going to play anyway? Btw he WAS audible, voice and guitar, he just wasn't playing much. This only illustrates how they work live, Keith takes the lead, starting and halting with his idiosyncratic style and tempos, and the rest follows him. If you have another guy already keeping the pace and playing the chords, there's not much you can do in between that and Ron playing his little embellishments, other than quietly squeeze in a few more minor embellishments, really.

So now wondering if they're purposefully dumbing down Keith's contributions, ie not giving him much space or opportunity. Or maybe Keith is willfully handing over the reins?
He seemed to still shine bright in his role as architect of the Stones sound with his playing and presence last summer, but has Keith simply become a wallflower since then?
They might as well have just turned off his mic and unplugged his guitar. Either that or picked a different song where he would have had more presence. As it is, he's practically invisible (audibly) which is sad to see.
Hopefully we'll see him in better light soon, whether with the Stones or maybe some new solo material and/or performances...maybe another collaboration with someone outside the Stones.
Lone live Keith, and long live the Stones! thumbs up

Date: April 22, 2020 19:56

Hairball
SomeGuy

So now wondering if they're purposefully dumbing down Keith's contributions, ie not giving him much space or opportunity. Or maybe Keith is willfully handing over the reins?
He seemed to still shine bright in his role as architect of the Stones sound with his playing and presence last summer, but has Keith simply become a wallflower since then?
They might as well have just turned off his mic and unplugged his guitar. Either that or picked a different song where he would have had more presence. As it is, he's practically invisible (audibly) which is sad to see.
Hopefully we'll see him in better light soon, whether with the Stones or maybe some new solo material and/or performances...maybe another collaboration with someone outside the Stones.
Lone live Keith, and long live the Stones! thumbs up

I wouldn't draw conclusions from this one-off 'band performance'. The only thing it shows, is how the Stones work live when they're on the same stage (and in this case they were not). I'm pretty confident that Keith will assume his role when (if?) they tour again.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 25 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home