Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 22 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:37

bv
I feel the same kind of hostile mood they had at Altamont 1969 here. Time to cool down everybody. It was just a tribute to WHO and the health workers. Not really an application for a grammy. I think they did a fine performance. No need to fight over details here.

Haven’t been here since I posted I enjoyed it on the day. The cause is the main thing, of course. To compare others’ opinions, harsh as they may be, to the pre Altamont hostile mood severely diminishes the outcome OF the Altamont day in my opinion. A silly comparison.

Rod

Date: April 20, 2020 13:46

Taylor1
Mick is older than Keith and today is a better guitarist.I would not say it but for the fact that for years people have ridiculed Brian’s performance at the Rock N Roll Cirus,but he IMO played YCAGWYW better and at a faster pace than Keith does here.And Brian also went on stage after midnight and was wasted.He also probably wasn’t very familiar with the song

I'm interested in how can you compare Brian's strumming with Keith's licks. One is playing the rhythm with a pick, while the other is plucking strings to add a little spice here and there. + doing the backing vocals.

Do you find Brian's rudimentary chords cooler? Keith's plucking worse?

They both had their function within how the Stones chose to perform these versions - both in 1968 and in 2020.

I thought they sounded great Saturday night. I can't believe what I'm reading here at times. Should Keith have tried to outstage Ronnie's electric, or what? smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:20

People rip Mick Taylor’s playing on the 50 and Counting Tour,although I think he was mostly great.Why can’t someone say in their opinion Keith was not good Saturday?

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:26

Why was Keith playing a guitar when a turnip would've sufficed?

He most certainly didn't 'spice' anything up. And when his back-up vocals are the highlight of his performance there's something off.

Having said that, Mick and Ronnie gave us everything we wanted. I don't think it's a coincidence though that with Keith absent this version of YCAGWYW sounds like it belongs on the Alfie soundtrack. As good as it was, that was Mick ringing the death knell of the band we know as the Rolling Stones. It's a Mick solo project from here on in...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:33

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery?

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:36

TheflyingDutchman
TheGreek
Ronnie bless him really shined on his Stratocaster and really did a super job on the fills and the most tasteful solo covering Mick Taylor's parts off the studio release ( Let It Bleed ) .You all are going to laugh but I actually missed Chucks keyboard/piano

Mick Taylor didn't play on YCAGWYW, let it Bleed.The fills were played by Keith Richards.
I should have known that , my bad !

Date: April 20, 2020 14:39

TheGreek
TheflyingDutchman
TheGreek
Ronnie bless him really shined on his Stratocaster and really did a super job on the fills and the most tasteful solo covering Mick Taylor's parts off the studio release ( Let It Bleed ) .You all are going to laugh but I actually missed Chucks keyboard/piano

Mick Taylor didn't play on YCAGWYW, let it Bleed.The fills were played by Keith Richards.
I should have known that , my bad !

No problem mate, as long as you hear it, it's ok with me.smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:40

Seemingly the 'whole' world is praising the Stones for their performance as a highlight of the show, and here are people complaining... It's only IORR but I like it...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 20, 2020 15:04

Taylor1
People rip Mick Taylor’s playing on the 50 and Counting Tour,although I think he was mostly great.Why can’t someone say in their opinion Keith was not good Saturday?

Of course you can. Just like I can ask you why it you didn't find him good.

I don't know what Taylor has to do with this, though.

Date: April 20, 2020 15:10

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Taylor also was a Rolling Stone, long ago, and seemingly some people liked him. That's about it. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 15:15 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 20, 2020 15:25

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Taylor also was a Rolling Stone, long ago, and seemingly some people liked him. That's about it. smiling smiley
Some people like the fact that played on 3of their 4best albums and he played great live from1969 to 1973.What ‘s not to like?

Date: April 20, 2020 15:27

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

So was Stu. And Brian. But they didn't play on Saturday smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2020 15:30

Doxa
Seemingly the 'whole' world is praising the Stones for their performance as a highlight of the show, and here are people complaining... It's only IORR but I like it...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Exactly. Must be bugs in their cereal, or something...

Date: April 20, 2020 15:36

Swayed1967
Why was Keith playing a guitar when a turnip would've sufficed?

He most certainly didn't 'spice' anything up. And when his back-up vocals are the highlight of his performance there's something off.

Having said that, Mick and Ronnie gave us everything we wanted. I don't think it's a coincidence though that with Keith absent this version of YCAGWYW sounds like it belongs on the Alfie soundtrack. As good as it was, that was Mick ringing the death knell of the band we know as the Rolling Stones. It's a Mick solo project from here on in...

I bow my head with respect for your profound knowledge and competence, Sir!

Swayed has spoken. A turnip would have sufficed. Mick fixed this by himself. He made Ronnie's Strat sing. He made Matt's keyboard ring. And his bass playing was (outstand)ing.

I haven't even mentioned how he worked on Charlie.

Brilliant smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2020 15:48

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

The licks that Keith (Let it Bleed) Taylor (Live) and Wood (Live) played on YCAGWW have certain similarities. Brian (as far as I know) nor Stu - he was the pianist-didn't play like that on YCAGWW. Problem solved.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 15:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 20, 2020 15:53

The Stones were way better than McCartney who gave a horrible performance of Lady Madonna.The tempo was all wrong and he can’t sing anymore .Maybe I was wrong to say Keith played bad.Maybe I should have said I would like to hear him play more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 15:56 by Taylor1.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:11

‘Together at Home’ Producer Talks Landing the Rolling Stones, Uniting Networks, Ignoring WHO Politicization

In striking the balance between Jimmy Fallon's goofy "Safety Dance" and Taylor Swift's heartbreaking "Soon You'll Get Better," Global Citizen CEO Hugh Evans mostly trusted the artists themselves to have the right instincts about tone as the special landed in a tough week.

By Chris Willman
April 19, 2020

Global Citizen

The Rolling Stones were the last announced, on Friday. Would they count as the artist you were sort of most holding your breath to see if it’d come off?

It definitely was the Rolling Stones that I was holding my breath for, because as you saw, their performance was about five minutes and 12 seconds or thereabouts, so that’s a fairly decent chunk of the show. And we only got final confirmation on the Wednesday beforehand. Every day was like a week for us this past week. [Laughs.] That was definitely the one that I was most… I wouldn’t say anxious, but just most conscious of. And when David Joseph from UMG and Joyce (Smyth), who’s their longtime manager, called and said that they were completely confirmed and fully in, our whole team was so thrilled. There’s really only one band in the world called the Rolling Stones, so that elevated the power of what was achieved in an already magnificent night.

Did you wait till you actually had the piece in hand from them to announce, or did their piece come in even after that?

We waited until we had the piece in hand before we announced it. Because we didn’t want to get ahead of ourselves.

Did you talk with people in the Stones’ camp about how they accomplished it?

Well, they told me a funny story about it, but I probably shouldn’t give it away, because I don’t know if I’m allowed to. I wish I could tell you, but it’s their news to tell. But logistically, I don’t even know how they pulled it off in time, with extraordinarily mixed vocals, and yet they did it from four entirely different parts of the country with very, very, very limited technology.

[variety.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 16:14

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

The licks that Keith (Let it Bleed) Taylor (Live) and Wood (Live) played on YCAGWW have certain similarities. Brian (as far as I know) nor Stu - he was the pianist-didn't play like that on YCAGWW. Problem solved.smiling smiley

What similarities? I hear Ronnie lift a couple of Keith's lines from LIB. Taylor created his own lines when the Stones slowed down and drastically changed their live version from 1972 and on (before using the old arrangement again from 1989). Do you mean the "if you try sometimes-parts"?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:19

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

The 'whole world' doesn't know how much better they could have been. We do. But they were still great, both for doing it and for the performance.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:22

bye bye johnny
Well, they told me a funny story about it, but I probably shouldn’t give it away, because I don’t know if I’m allowed to. I wish I could tell you, but it’s their news to tell. But logistically, I don’t even know how they pulled it off in time, with extraordinarily mixed vocals, and yet they did it from four entirely different parts of the country with very, very, very limited technology.

[variety.com]

Thanks. I’m looking forward to hearing the actual technology they used.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:23

Doxa

- Doxa

haha!

Post of the Day!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:25

The Rolling Stones
@RollingStones
·
58m
Love this!
[twitter.com]

John Davison
Our two and half year old son inspired by
@RollingStones

Click for video
[twitter.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 16:26

Does anyone think that at least partly the reason to pick up this song particularly, was a statement against the infamous use of it in certain political rallies in America (and especially seen through the tele all-over the world during election day), something especially Jagger was not happy about? Was there a small sarcasm in Mick's introduction, "this one I hope you know"...

That said, placing it without any introduction by the hosts (I guess due to the last minute addition) between the head of The UN and the two ex-First Ladies of America, was dramawise a great move, and emphasized the significance of the Stones contribution (makes me remember, by contrast, what Mick said ages ago in one press conference, seen in GIMME SHELTER movie...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Date: April 20, 2020 16:28

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

What similarities? I hear Ronnie lift a couple of Keith's lines from LIB. Taylor created his own lines when the Stones slowed down and drastically changed their live version from 1972 and on (before using the old arrangement again from 1989). Do you mean the "if you try sometimes-parts"?

The lines they have been playing all their lives, rooted in Blues/ Rock. I don't wanna get stuck in one song. The Stones are bigger than YCAGWYW only.

Date: April 20, 2020 16:30

Doxa
Does anyone think that at least partly the reason to pick up this song particularly, was a statement against the infamous use of it in certain political rallies in America (and especially seen through the tele all-over the world during election day), something especially Jagger was not happy about? Was there a small sarcasm in Mick's introduction, "this one I hope you know"...

That said, placing it without any introduction by the hosts (I guess due to the last minute addition) between the head of The UN and the two ex-First Ladies of America, was dramawise a great move, and emphasized the significance of the Stones contribution (makes me remember, by contrast, what Mick said ages ago in one press conference, seen in GIMME SHELTER movie...grinning smiley)

- Doxa
Maybe it’s Mick coming out as a Trumper.Your comments are ridiculous.This is a classic song long before Trump used it.It has universal appeal.Its maybe Mick’s way of saying to the World you will get over this virus

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:31

Doxa

- Doxa

I thought of the rally aspect of the choice, and it also got some comments on Twitter. I think it may have played a part in the selection, although tough to say how much. Kind of a way to reclaim it so to speak, not to say that they lost it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:31

For those who might want to hear the Stones performance with a slightly better audio quality:

You Can't Always Get What You Want on Spotify

Date: April 20, 2020 16:58

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

The 'whole world' doesn't know how much better they could have been. We do. But they were still great, both for doing it and for the performance.

Those 'we' seem to possess that kind of knowledge that I don't have. Personally they surpassed my expectations, and, taking the circumstances, I don't know how they could have done much better. A solid and distinguished package of great music, charisma, vitality and humor they offered. Each did well, and with the Stones the whole is always bigger than the sum of its parts. I was and am proud of them. Sometimes the 'world' knows better than the hardcore fans...

- Doxa

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:59

bv
I feel the same kind of hostile mood they had at Altamont 1969 here. Time to cool down everybody. It was just a tribute to WHO and the health workers. Not really an application for a grammy. I think they did a fine performance. No need to fight over details here.

It was a lot of fun watching it and that's all one can expect from a thing like that. I am bit curious on how they did it. Playing live directly via zoom (or whatever) would seem impossible with all the delays (although I guess they have good Wifis). Mick and Ronnie certainly seemed live, and obviously there was clearly some backing track with a choir and drums, but hey, they had fun, Mick was great, Ronnie full of enthusiasm, Charlie being funny, what's there not to like?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 17:18

Doxa
Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Those 'we' seem to possess that kind of knowledge that I don't have. Personally they surpassed my expectations, and, taking the circumstances, I don't know how they could have done much better. A solid and distinguished package of great music, charisma, vitality and humor they offered. Each did well, and with the Stones the whole is always bigger than the sum of its parts. I was and am proud of them. Sometimes the 'world' knows better than the hardcore fans...

- Doxa

that's b/c sometimes "the world" knows better than the hardcore fans that....."You Can't Always Get What You Want"

....but, if you try sometimes....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 22 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home