Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:18

MisterDDDD
georgelicks
Over 2 million views on Youtube in less than 24 hours, also their whole catalog is peaking on both Itunes/Spotify, a great way to capitalize the good reception of the performance.

That's fantastic!
Was absolutely great to see "Charlie Watts" along with Keith Richards and Rolling Stones as the top trends on Twitter last night.

People were tweeting 'Keith Richards' in droves last night because he was nowhere to be heard in the performance, and they might have been wondering "who the f*ck is Keith Richards?" . jk...

treaclefingers
bv
I feel the same kind of hostile mood they had at Altamont 1969 here. Time to cool down everybody. It was just a tribute to WHO and the health workers. Not really an application for a grammy. I think they did a fine performance. No need to fight over details here.

Apparently you haven't been introduced to your website...this is what happens on every thread; scrutinizing the minutia of every detail, and then disagreeing on what we see and hear.

It's the only fun we have!

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 02:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:37

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 20 April 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:52

Best of all was The Rolling Stones......

Indeed.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:56

Not satisfied to with just being the coolest human alive, Charlie adds a new weapon to his arsenal, drumming with no drums!

Keith seemed, at best, disinterested. At worst, drunk/stoned/didn't know or care what was going on. It wasn't a good look for him.

The other 3 did great.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:19

bv
I assume they did a base track with Mick, then it was passed on to the other members, playing back on it. Then some minor sound was added. I assume a certain tree farmer in Macon, Georgia did some work on it too. Like Mick said, without Chuck Leavell, no Stones.

This was not a performance to be evaluated technically. It was a performance telling the world The Rolling Stones support WHO and the health workers who work night and day during these crazy days. Also in tribute to those who clean, and everyone else who have hard times these days.

I like the basic style of the performance. Mick and Keith on acoustic guitars. Stripped down. Charlie stripped down. Ronnie carry the solo, like he does always. Keith adding backing vocals. Charlie smiles. They are all alive and kicking. That is all we need to know. I can't see why they should have rehearsed for weeks to do a "postcard" song to the world.

The[y] did a great tribute performance.

thumbs up

Date: April 20, 2020 03:35

Elmo Lewis
Not satisfied to with just being the coolest human alive, Charlie adds a new weapon to his arsenal, drumming with no drums!

Keith seemed, at best, disinterested. At worst, drunk/stoned/didn't know or care what was going on. It wasn't a good look for him.

The other 3 did great.

While I did enjoy seeing the Stones last night, I think some of the replies in this thread are even more enjoyable.winking smiley
And contrary to only needing/wanting to watch it twice as I said last night, I've now watched it close to six or seven times - mainly to see if Charlie is drumming with sensor sticks or if he's simply air drumming!
Still leaning to him simply air drumming to a prerecorded track, but it doesn't take away from the overall performance of the song - it actually enhances it by adding a bit of comic relief!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:39

Is there anyone who believes that the four were playing at the same time? Like Keith Urban, they recorded separate tracks at different times, and then the videos/tracks were assembled together by someone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 07:50 by bam.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:43

I bet Charlie was wearing really nice socks. grinning smiley

Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:54

Wait. Keith Urban recorded each part separately?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 20, 2020 04:10

well I think the tour will be on next year

Date: April 20, 2020 04:22

duke richardson
Probably in early 2021, I think the next leg will be amazing!smileys with beer

Date: April 20, 2020 04:34

DiegoGlimmerStones
duke richardson
Probably in early 2021, I think the next leg will be amazing!smileys with beer

Imagine if they did a pay-per-view series of these livestreams in the order of the original tour dates.
First up San Diego May 8th - pains me to think of that date now as I was going to be there, but if they did an exclusive livestream might ease the pain....
I'd happily pay $20 to see a full set of at least 19 songs...they could even have the song vote...smiling smiley...and piss breaks would be quick and easy..in and out wouldn't miss a thing.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 20, 2020 05:32

The Police should have reformed and played - Don't Stand So Close To Me

Date: April 20, 2020 05:58

The Tubes Don't Touch Me with that full on
reproduction of that wonderful Jack Nitzsche arrangement .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 20, 2020 06:59

You remember the Tubes! Good on ya mate.

jb

Date: April 20, 2020 07:55

Ooowwww heck yeah man .... I remember lots ah things

MUM!! ... Whats the name of that Tubes song you love ... White Horses On Hay ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 20, 2020 08:07

More likely The Police would have done “One World (Not Three)” from the Ghost In The Machine album, but sadly, those guys do live in three different worlds these days.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 20, 2020 09:05

JadedFaded
Lizzo was awesome. Lady Gaga too. J Lo’s performance was pretty lame with that cheesy backdrop that reminded me of something you’d see on the Lawrence Welk Show (which we watched as a family when I was a little kid). Billie Eilish has a nice voice, but she was drowned out a bit by the piano.

Agree with all of this. Also I really enjoyed Keith Urban (love that song) and Eddie Vedder. And the Stones, of course! I was as fascinated by their houses as by the performance--I keep seeing complimentary comments about Keith's drapes. grinning smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 20, 2020 09:17

Rockman
Ooowwww heck yeah man .... I remember lots ah things

MUM!! ... Whats the name of that Tubes song you love ... White Horses On Hay ????

Now that's easy: "Wild Pope On Dope" ... next question, please!

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: April 20, 2020 09:40

I don't think so, that Keith was drunken and stoned. He was only not good in the mix.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 20, 2020 10:18

Actually the live stream proved to quite a revival for our boys:

* Charlie and Charlies airdrum both went viral and draw attention in media
* All four was on the top 40 most googled during the weekend (Mick on an impressive place #5)
* Articles/journalists agree that Stones performance was top notch. Even bad reviews about the gala wrote that the ”Stones stream” was top class
* Stones performance is atm the most streamed on Youtube behind the finale - VERY impressive since all performances has been released and that a LOT of younger artists performed
* Even swedish news channel SVT were surprised that Stones turned out to be the most innovative

Google our boys and go to news and read for yourself smiling smiley

Well done boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 10:19 by tiffanyblu.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 20, 2020 11:09

tiffanyblu
Actually the live stream proved to quite a revival for our boys:

* Charlie and Charlies airdrum both went viral and draw attention in media
* All four was on the top 40 most googled during the weekend (Mick on an impressive place #5)
* Articles/journalists agree that Stones performance was top notch. Even bad reviews about the gala wrote that the ”Stones stream” was top class
* Stones performance is atm the most streamed on Youtube behind the finale - VERY impressive since all performances has been released and that a LOT of younger artists performed
* Even swedish news channel SVT were surprised that Stones turned out to be the most innovative

Google our boys and go to news and read for yourself smiling smiley

Well done boys!

I agree with all this. All the 'reviews'/comments I have read are positive and Twitter lit up for Charlie. Overall I found the whole event rather tedious and self-important, but the Stone's offering sounded good, was visually interesting and I thought the song choice worked well for the theme and was reasonably recognisable for non-Stones fans. Mick, unsurprisingly, compared very favourably with the other 'oldies', sounding generations better than Elton and Macca. Thoroughly professional job from the band.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 20, 2020 11:52

rubyeveryday
Wait. Keith Urban recorded each part separately?

Nope. The cat's out of the bag: Nicole had him cloned a while back.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 12:00

Fe2510
You're probably right and that would be cool (as it was yesterday)! Hopefully they can tour in 2021, but will they be fit for and in the mood for that?

That is the good spirit, Fe2510. You're Brazilian, so I understand you emotions. I had emotions too, but merely goosebumps cool smiley
When you're approaching 72, not much upsets you, apart from human misery off course. You could see the motivation and enthousiasm of the individual members on that unique "from home" performance. And that should give hope to all of us Rolling Stones fans!
smileys with beer

Date: April 20, 2020 12:03

They were great! Very glad to have seen them. Could be The Last Time. Or not. Enjoy every opportunity. I did.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 12:51

They all were very good but Keith.Honesttly,is his playinghere any better than Brian in the same song at the Rock n Roll Circus?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:13

Well I was impressed as that should come as no surprise to anyone least of all to myself. To begin I thought Mick's vocal's sounded sharp and fresh and it was really good to hear his voice and his playing his Gibson acoustic . Keith added some color with his chord strumming and subtle backup vocals . Ronnie bless him really shined on his Stratocaster and really did a super job on the fills and the most tasteful solo covering Mick Taylor's parts off the studio release ( Let It Bleed ) .You all are going to laugh but I actually missed Chucks keyboard/piano . Charlie was as Enigmatic as ever and I watched this song over and over again ,probably at least a dozen times and I was impressed and my Fan boy credentials are intact as ever . Jeez I love the Rolling Stones !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also enjoyed Sir Elton's performance of I'm Still Standing , and I enjoyed Sir Paul's Lady Madonna , Lizzo blew me away and I did not expect her to belt out such a soulful cut and she really turned my head and ears as she has one heck of a talented voice . I most certainly enjoyed Keith Urban . Taylor Swift was nice and soulful . The final performance with Andrea Boccelli and Celine Dion was very good and enjoyable . Over all a very nice 2 hour presentation !

Date: April 20, 2020 13:19

TheGreek
Ronnie bless him really shined on his Stratocaster and really did a super job on the fills and the most tasteful solo covering Mick Taylor's parts off the studio release ( Let It Bleed ) .You all are going to laugh but I actually missed Chucks keyboard/piano

Mick Taylor didn't play on YCAGWYW, let it Bleed.The fills were played by Keith Richards.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:25

Taylor1
They all were very good but Keith.Honesttly,is his playinghere any better than Brian in the same song at the Rock n Roll Circus?

Brian was 27, Keith Richards is 76. And having to stay up untill 4 in the morning, maybe even with a hangover - who knows...... at least he's there

But, it's SO nice that that you're telling us in ALL HONESTY - almost makes me cry

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:36

Mick is older than Keith and today is a better guitarist.I would not say it but for the fact that for years people have ridiculed Brian’s performance at the Rock N Roll Cirus,but he IMO played YCAGWYW better and at a faster pace than Keith does here.And Brian also went on stage after midnight and was wasted.He also probably wasn’t very familiar with the song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 13:38 by Taylor1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home