Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:13

I thought it was fabulous, ramshackle, done with soul and humour, and so 2020.

Charlie was hilarious - miming surely, all the talk about hi-tech sticks is amusing though. He's grinning his way through the whole thing, giving it all away.

Questions for the nerds: when was the last time Charlie mimed drums?

Special mention for Ronnie - not only did have great energy, as well as playing some tasty licks/lead, he really wanted to sing a lot more too.

I loved it

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:14

mikehat
Charlie was not miming or air drumming.

The drumsticks had sensor/trigger technology.
You hit a surface and it triggers a drum sound.

These aren't the one's he used, but this video gives you an idea of the Technology involved...

[www.youtube.com] convincedme_continue=8&v=yrg_XKNDQNE&feature=emb_logo

Read about this several times already, but I'm still not convinced.
If you watch and listen closely, there's drum sounds happening when there shouldn't be.
Could be a combo of this and some prerecorded drums I suppose, but I'm still leaning towards 100% air drumming.
I guess the verdicts still out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 22:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:15

I feel the same kind of hostile mood they had at Altamont 1969 here. Time to cool down everybody. It was just a tribute to WHO and the health workers. Not really an application for a grammy. I think they did a fine performance. No need to fight over details here.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:19

Excuse me these are not billard queues but in fact my set of electronic drumsticks

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:20

Hairball
mikehat

These aren't the one's he used, but this video gives you an idea of the Technology involved...

If you watch and listen closely, there's drum sounds happening when there shouldn't be.
Could be a combo of this and some prerecorded drums I suppose, but I'm still leaning towards 100% air drumming.

There is some pre-recorded drums but he is clearly playing along with it.
He's not miming.
Watch his chair/cymbal work (lol) and snare rolls, definitely playing live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 22:21 by mikehat.

Date: April 19, 2020 22:22

Interesting to note that on YouTube the Stones have about 1.5 million views, compared to their contemporaries - Macca, Elton, who have about 800k each. Hot new artists like lizzo and Billie Ellish, whose streaming numbers are astronomical, have around 300k views. (I am aware that there are other platforms for watching these clips)

Twice as many views for the Stones, and front page of the Sunday Telegraph.

Strange days indeed.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:26

Charlie Cam -isolated.
(Sensors I think.. including foot pedal)

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:35

I watched till I had seen the Stones, then we watched something else. The whole thing was kind of a bore (the Stones were fun though)

Date: April 19, 2020 22:39

I also liked how the Stones had no cheesy introduction, and laid off giving a big heartfelt speech. They just got straight into it. It was fabulous and I'm about to watch it again now!

smileys with beer

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:46

"Drums for Charlie" gofundme!smoking smiley

[www.gofundme.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:47

The Rolling Stones' 'One World' Performance of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' Is Pure Joy

The band delivered a socially distanced take on their classic song, with Charlie Watts air-drumming along.

[www.esquire.com]

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:49

bv
I feel the same kind of hostile mood they had at Altamont 1969 here. Time to cool down everybody. It was just a tribute to WHO and the health workers. Not really an application for a grammy. I think they did a fine performance. No need to fight over details here.
Absolutely BV. The cause is all that matters.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:59

mikehat
Hairball
mikehat

There is some pre-recorded drums but he is clearly playing along with it.
He's not miming.
Watch his chair/cymbal work (lol) and snare rolls, definitely playing live.

It's not really as clear or as definite as you claim - at least not to some of us.
Not only are there drum sounds happening where there shoudn't be, there's also no drum sounds where there should be.
At least we can agree on the fact there's prerecorded drums, but the sensor sticks are another story - something tells me Charlie wouldn't waste his time with them to begin with.

peoplewitheyes
Charlie was hilarious - miming surely, all the talk about hi-tech sticks is amusing though.

Agreed, though I guess there's a possibility he could have used them to enhance the prerecorded drums...winking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:08

bv

Totally agree. YCAGWYW was a fine choice & nice because it was a different version. I love Salt of the Earth dearly but realistically its an album cut no matter how appropriate. They've never played it live a lot. With the worldwide audience, they more or less had to do something people know. In other words, a warhorse. The band sounded good & given the nature of the performance that is saying something. Hard to do with that setting. It's not like 1 of them getting up with an acoustic guitar & doing a song. I could be wrong but I think Ronnie played the only electric guitar all night. & he played fine. I sure do enjoy the "new" Ronnie. He's a great musician. Sobriety is suiting him well & the little kids are helping keep him young. It's a good thing! smileys with beer

Keith Urban played electric guitar, too. Enjoyed that song also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 11:43 by crholmstrom.

Date: April 19, 2020 23:08

What The Hell Was Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts Playing Last Night?
Anthony Karcz-Senior Contributor
Consumer Tech

"I didn't catch much of the One World: Together At Home concert last night, but I did manage to see the one most important part of the entire evening, the one moment that haunted me into the wee hours of the morning, the thing that everyone is still talking about this morning.

Just what the hell was Charlie Watts, drummer for the Rolling Stones, playing last night during their performance of "You Can't Always Get What You Want?"

If you haven't seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to take five minutes out of your day to check it out. It's a fantastic performance from a band who obviously hasn't let age or distance dull their musical chops.

Mick Jagger kicked things off as Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood dropped in as their parts started in the slow-burn opening of the song. The surprise was when the camera came up on Charlie Watts who was sitting in his study, drumsticks in hand, surrounded by, not a drum kit, but instead a trio of musical storage cases and a nearby couch.

I'm no drummer, and I'll admit I'm not a live concert aficionado, but Watts’ performance seemed legit. Despite the fact that there was no drum kit in front of him, the beats synched up with his movements and appeared to be live (i.e. they didn't simply synch up to the studio recording of the song).

The bright blue headphones (very stylish), something that none of the other gents sported, was another hint that something techy was going on, that he was listening to his performance on some sort of virtual drum kit.

Refusing to accept that Charlie Watts had completely lost it and was just blithely air drumming along to a recording with sticks someone had shoved into his hands, I went down a rabbit hole to try and figure out what was going on.

My first stop was Aerodrums. This virtual drum kit replicates a full kit, foot pedals included (I noticed that Charlie's feet were just as busy as his hands). All you have to do is load the software onto a PC or laptop, set up your virtual set, and point the camera at your performance space. Then it's just a matter of popping on a pair of headphones and listening to the beats as you tap them out in the air around you.

This seemed like the most likely product, they're UK-based and the tech seemed to be exactly what Watts was using. Except for the fact that the Aerodrums sticks have large balls on the end that the software tracks with the camera to determine exact placement of the sticks. Looking back at the video, they look like normal drum sticks, no tell-tale balls on the end.

So Aerodrums is out. What next?

My next stop was Freedrum. Their complete kit lets you strap two sensors to your drumsticks and two to your feet to replicate a 12-piece kit. They're compatible with a wide variety of devices and the fact that you don't need a camera or special sticks made this an early favorite in my hunt. The technology seems to be exactly what you'd need if you were a venerated musician and wanted to use your best sticks for a virtual global performance.

Except. As evidenced by Watts’ little twirls and flourishes, there was nothing, absolutely zero, tech strapped to the drumsticks. Plus, the Freedrum tech requires the sensors to be on the part of the stick that's actually moving, so they weren't hidden in his hands either.

So that's two down. Is it time to admit that maybe Watts really was just playing along to a recording?

Well, maybe it's more nuanced than that. A product like Toontrack EZDrummer or Superior Drummer would let an experienced musician like Watts compose an entire drum track that wouldn't simply be a beat-for-beat copy of a studio performance. And when you consider that the drum line is the heartbeat of any track, the reality of what was going on revealed itself.

While it felt impromptu, like we were just dropping in on musicians at home, Keith Urban's performance alone should give you all the evidence you need that everyone was prepared well in advance and had been rehearsing for a while.

What's most likely is that Charlie recorded his drum track weeks in advance, either using a virtual kit or an actual set he has at a studio at home. Then he sent that along to his bandmates so that they could practice their portions.

When Saturday night came along, instead of winging it with an whole new live drum track, he pulled together a drum kit stand in, with storage cases in place to hide his feet (lack of sensors on the feet would be a sure-fire indicator that no live drumming was happening) and give him a bit of verisimilitude while virtually performing along to himself.

So my best guess is that Charlie was indeed air drumming, but that he was simply mimicking his own performance. He was doing what every good drummer does, making sure that his mates at the front of the stage had what they needed to shine.

So maybe it wasn’t the completely "live" performance that everyone was thinking it was, but it was still a very satisfying and authentic rendition of one of rock's greatest singles. Long live the Stones.

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:11

chriseganstar
bv
Absolutely BV. The cause is all that matters.

Exactly.

Hopefully it's a one off cause, I enjoyed it, the Stones were one of the best acts, but it is not about that, trying to score points.

Let's enjoy the Stones, while we still have them.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:11

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
Mick was playing lead guitar this time, it would not make any sense for Keith just to double what Mick already was playing.

Keith added some nice colouring instead, which he often does on electric as well, the difference being on an acoustic that kind of playing doesn't cut through as clearly.

Nothing wrong with Keith's playing, the alternative would've been for him to play the usual electric lead he does on this song BUT it's hard to make an electric lead guitar sound good without proper recording equipment and if they only had a simple camera setup for this recording it would make much more sense for Keith to play acoustic.

This was a nice semi-unplugged version, don't know why people are complaining,

Mick played rhythm guitar smiling smiley

Depends on how you define rhythm guitar. If you think the sporadic licks Ronnie was playing is lead guitar then fine. For me the person who plays the lead chords on this song is playing lead, just like I think Keith is playing lead on Start Me Up etc.

Not only do I think that, it is that way. No one else played rhythm guitar, but Mick.

Keith and Ronnie played licks. Ronnie played the solo.

They all played guitar. Some a little bit more than others. Like Keith once said, you can't walk into a store and buy a lead guitar or rhythm guitar - you just buy a guitar. smoking smiley

Date: April 19, 2020 23:20

Several solo performances on this show, but the Stones were the only band who performed together. Way cool to see them do that. They also didn’t disappoint on the stage design, no inflatables or pyro, but a lot more interesting than several other rather bland backdrops. All in all, we got what we needed!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:22

Well I liked it! Just watched the bbc coverage back filled with some YouTube and my top three were stones, Eddie and Lizzo

Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:31

I really enjoyed them and liked the low-fi approach. I watched the whole shooting match on line and then TV. Sheryl Crow was awesome, so was Annie etc, lot's of sincere young people. Some of them had a bit more production but I liked what the Stones did and it looked like they had fun (Charlie!). Elton and Paul took the same approach. Eddie Vedder has a pump organ at home LOL. Hey I'm out of work for gigs and I'm doing the same thing they are in my den.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:36

Watching the UK 2 hour programme,which is just ending, and I thought The Stones were great.
Nothing spectacular or different to what I expected, and they done well.

The UK 2 hour show I found quite emotional at times with lots of tributes to all the lovely people who are doing their best in these troubled times.
My 93 year old Mum is in a care home and we haven't seen her for 3-4 weeks now,
The staff at the care home are so nice and caring, and life must be difficult for
them as well as us.
Life will get better for us all eventually,but unfortunately Coronavirus19 does not seem to be a quick fix.
God Bless us all..........and we will all get through it.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:45

bv

Agreed 100% bv. It seems some people always have something to complain about no matter the circumstance. The performance was wonderful and they provided a lot of happiness to people in these very difficult times we're living in.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:02

crawdaddy
Watching the UK 2 hour programme,which is just ending, and I thought The Stones were great.
Nothing spectacular or different to what I expected, and they done well.

The UK 2 hour show I found quite emotional at times with lots of tributes to all the lovely people who are doing their best in these troubled times.
My 93 year old Mum is in a care home and we haven't seen her for 3-4 weeks now,
The staff at the care home are so nice and caring, and life must be difficult for
them as well as us.
Life will get better for us all eventually,but unfortunately Coronavirus19 does not seem to be a quick fix.
God Bless us all..........and we will all get through it.

I also watched it, very emotional. Best wishes to your mom and care staff.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:53

Just finished listening with headphones, until now I've just listened with the sh***y computer loudspeakers. Great performance and very emotional indeed.

I do not want to sound patronizing but isn't widely known that Charlie don't play the drums at home? In the 25 X 5 documentary we've had for ages he always makes me smile.

In it is one of my ABSOLUTE favourite Charlie quotes that has been ringing in my head since I finished elementary school back in the 90's:

"What I do, is, I don't play the drums at home, so in order to play I have to go back on the road. It's a very vicious circle"smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 01:25 by MadMax.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 20, 2020 01:52

I didn’t watch much of the first four hours, but I did watch the last two, and I enjoyed it. I didn’t know most of the artists, but they were all talented musicians. I thought Elton’s grand piano in front of a portable basketball hoop was funny, as was the trash bin by the garage door. Lizzo was awesome. Lady Gaga too. J Lo’s performance was pretty lame with that cheesy backdrop that reminded me of something you’d see on the Lawrence Welk Show (which we watched as a family when I was a little kid). Billie Eilish has a nice voice, but she was drowned out a bit by the piano. Interesting song choice too for such a young person.

As for the Stones, they were lovely. They all looked great, Mick sounded great, Charlie’s air drumming was a hoot, and Keith saying “sometimes” at the end was priceless. They sounded great, considering they were in different places. It was a very lovely performance for a good cause. Thank you to the Stones for this little taste!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:01

Over 2 million views on Youtube in less than 24 hours, also their whole catalog is peaking on both Itunes/Spotify, a great way to capitalize the good reception of the performance.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:01

bv

Apparently you haven't been introduced to your website...this is what happens on every thread; scrutinizing the minutia of every detail, and then disagreeing on what we see and hear.

It's the only fun we have!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:04

Manofwealthandtaste
Several solo performances on this show, but the Stones were the only band who performed together.

Lady Antebellum played together from three remote locations - although that was on the webcast version, not the final 2-hour broadcast.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:05

Excellent version of YCAGWYW, I had fun, Charlie was always fun.

Date: April 20, 2020 02:14

georgelicks
Over 2 million views on Youtube in less than 24 hours, also their whole catalog is peaking on both Itunes/Spotify, a great way to capitalize the good reception of the performance.

That's fantastic!
Was absolutely great to see "Charlie Watts" along with Keith Richards and Rolling Stones as the top trends on Twitter last night.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home