Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:19

a rythm guitar leading the rythm is a rythm lead guitar

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:21

Hairball
That's an interesting/odd/unorthodox way of looking at it EasterMan - it's always cool to see someone make up their own rules and break from tradition.

Of course lead guitar is more of solo guitar, so you could say Mick is playing rhythm here, but since I think Keith is playing lead on this song normally I would just say Mick's part was like a rhythm style replacement for the lead part Keith is playing in concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 20:21 by EasterMan.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:22

Why can't EVERYONE just enjoy seeing our Boys play LIVE to benefit a wonderful cause and appreciate how great they looked and sounded? The need to dissect and criticize blows my mind! Mick & Company blew away the rest of these acts, including dismal performances by Paul McCartney & Elton John...not that I'm glad they bombed but really, look at how polished, professional and full of life ( and HUMOR) they were!! They ALL contributed to a well orchestrated 6 minutes, more than could be said for most of the other acts...although Lizzo, Eddie Vedder, and Keith Urban all did very well. Ending with " My Prayer" was brilliant and moving. Can we try to be positive, for once!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 20:48 by mickschix.

Date: April 19, 2020 20:27

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
Mick was playing lead guitar this time, it would not make any sense for Keith just to double what Mick already was playing.

Keith added some nice colouring instead, which he often does on electric as well, the difference being on an acoustic that kind of playing doesn't cut through as clearly.

Nothing wrong with Keith's playing, the alternative would've been for him to play the usual electric lead he does on this song BUT it's hard to make an electric lead guitar sound good without proper recording equipment and if they only had a simple camera setup for this recording it would make much more sense for Keith to play acoustic.

This was a nice semi-unplugged version, don't know why people are complaining,

Mick played rhythm guitar smiling smiley

Depends on how you define rhythm guitar. If you think the sporadic licks Ronnie was playing is lead guitar then fine. For me the person who plays the lead chords on this song is playing lead, just like I think Keith is playing lead on Start Me Up etc.

Not only do I think that, it is that way. No one else played rhythm guitar, but Mick.

Keith and Ronnie played licks. Ronnie played the solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 20:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:31

If Charlie was 'playing' at his home in the West Country, it's quite possible that he hasn't got a drum kit set up there - or that he does have one set up but it isn't miked. As somebody else pointed out, the miking of drums is a tricky business and would have needed somebody to come visiting, against lockdown rules. So a stylish bit of air drumming instead.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:32

DandelionPowderman
Not only do I think that, it is that way.

That tends to be your reasoning most times lol. Of course Mick is not playing lead guitar here but I don't think Ronnie is playing 100% lead guitar either so with saying Mick was playing lead I mostly meant like in leading the song forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 20:33 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:32

Mick played rhythm while Ronnie and Keith shared lead. You know, they way it's always been done. Don't blame Keith. Blame the person who mixed this.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:33

mickschix
Why can't EVERYONE just enjoy seeing our Boys play LIVE to benefit a wonderful cause and appreciate how great they looked and sounded? The need to dissect and criticize blows my mind! Mick & Company blew away the rest of these acts, including dismal performances by Paul McCartney & Elton John...not that I'm glad they bombed by really, look at how polished, professional and full of life ( and HUMOR) they were!! They ALL contributed to a well orchestrated 5 minutes, more than could be said for most of the other acts...although Lizzo, Eddie Vedder, and Keith Urban all did very well. Ending with " My Prayer" was brilliant and moving. Can we try to be positive, for once!
Sums my thoughts up exactly. The important thing here is what the performance was for, not the performance itself. As it was for everyone involved.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:34

Seems the Stones do just fine without a bass player after all.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:35

EasterMan
Hairball
That's an interesting/odd/unorthodox way of looking at it EasterMan - it's always cool to see someone make up their own rules and break from tradition.

Of course lead guitar is more of solo guitar, so you could say Mick is playing rhythm here, but since I think Keith is playing lead on this song normally I would just say Mick's part was like a rhythm style replacement for the lead part Keith is playing in concert.

confused smiley

That's easy for you to say, but this is the way I see it:

grinning smiley

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:43

As the furloughed hired help, do Daryl, Chuck, Tim, Matt, Sasha and Bernard all qualify for unemployment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 21:03 by Javadave.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:47

You are right.
Awesome version.
Keith is almost inaudible and underemployed, and what I regret exactly is that we grant him this minor role.

I'm not the one saying that on this board, this version is 90% Mick. How much for Keith ?
But if you are fine with that, and even love this performance, that's great.
I find it sad for Keith, but you are right, I am ignorant.

Good evening.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
It pains me to see keith like that, I don't have to justify that feeling to anyone.

You are free to think what you want about this performance.

But it is unfortunate that your feeling is based on ignorance and an obvious lack of knowledge.

What did you want him to do? Couldn't you see their roles in this?

Clearly, Keith's role here was to play some acoustic licks before Ronnie and Charlie entered + doing the backing vocals (which he did with buckets of charm and feel).

Jeez.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: April 19, 2020 20:51

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

That tends to be your reasoning most times lol. Of course Mick is not playing lead guitar here but I don't think Ronnie is playing 100% lead guitar either so with saying Mick was playing lead I mostly meant like in leading the song forward.

No one has ever played 100 percent lead guitar on YCAGWYW, and that goes for Ronnie as well, of course.

Ronnie and Keith are not carrying the rhythm, Mick is. They are playing licks. Spicing it up.

You are obviously missing the main riff here, the one that Keith usually plays.

This time they went for a different approach, which I think worked nicely.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:52

DandelionPowderman

Sheesh. So much time and energy spent 'correcting' people...

Date: April 19, 2020 20:53

Bastion
DandelionPowderman

only if memory serves

Date: April 19, 2020 20:56

powerage78
You are right.
Awesome version.
Keith is almost inaudible and underemployed, and what I regret exactly is that we grant him this minor role.

I'm not the one saying that on this board, this version is 90% Mick. How much for Keith ?
But if you are fine with that, and even love this performance, that's great.
I find it sad for Keith, but you are right, I am ignorant.

Good evening.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
It pains me to see keith like that, I don't have to justify that feeling to anyone.

You are free to think what you want about this performance.

But it is unfortunate that your feeling is based on ignorance and an obvious lack of knowledge.

What did you want him to do? Couldn't you see their roles in this?

Clearly, Keith's role here was to play some acoustic licks before Ronnie and Charlie entered + doing the backing vocals (which he did with buckets of charm and feel).

Jeez.

You're not the one? I must be mistaken, then? smiling smiley

Jokes aside, what exactly did you expect from his acoustic here? Would it have comforted you if he played that open G-riff for the 3000th time?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:56

mickschix
Why can't EVERYONE just enjoy seeing our Boys play LIVE to benefit a wonderful cause and appreciate how great they looked and sounded? The need to dissect and criticize blows my mind! Mick & Company blew away the rest of these acts, including dismal performances by Paul McCartney & Elton John...not that I'm glad they bombed but really, look at how polished, professional and full of life ( and HUMOR) they were!! They ALL contributed to a well orchestrated 6 minutes, more than could be said for most of the other acts...although Lizzo, Eddie Vedder, and Keith Urban all did very well. Ending with " My Prayer" was brilliant and moving. Can we try to be positive, for once!

I agree.

I thought McCartney was dreadfully bad....Elton John was OK once it got going.

Ed Vedder's voice was great, but he needed to turn down the organ...or find something to play w/ a guitar. Too much organ.

I thought the Stones were gonna do "Salt of the Earth" when I saw Mick w/ the acoustic....."bummed" they didn't do it, but YCAGWYW was great.

it's nice to be talking about the Stones again and not this f'n virus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 20:58 by stickyfingers101.

Date: April 19, 2020 20:58

Bastion
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, let's drench this board with fake news, shall we? FFS.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:01

DandelionPowderman
Bastion
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, let's drench this board with fake news, shall we? FFS.

Ok man.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:02

Sometimes it's wiser to just let it go .............

Almost sounds like a Stones lyric.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:28

stickyfingers101
mickschix

I agree.

I thought McCartney was dreadfully bad....Elton John was OK once it got going.

Ed Vedder's voice was great, but he needed to turn down the organ...or find something to play w/ a guitar. Too much organ.

I thought the Stones were gonna do "Salt of the Earth" when I saw Mick w/ the acoustic....."bummed" they didn't do it, but YCAGWYW was great.

it's nice to be talking about the Stones again and not this f'n virus.

What kind of Virus?

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:33

2000 LYFH
Pie1
Can anyone make out what book that is on Keith's coffee-table (or is that a trunk ?) ?

The keyboard is the first instrument to come in, I think Mick is playing along to that +drums and bass, Ronnie and Keith are playing to the same with Mick's part added.

Yeah the book is - "The Brian Jones contributions to the Rolling Stones (Vol 1)".
Vol 2 and 3 will be out next year....

that's good !

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:44

My thoughts on the Stones' performance :

I didn't "get" that particular song choice At all.
Mick carried the show with a good performance and great hair color.
Not sure that Keith was in to this at all. Reminded me of old lip-synch TV performances from the 60's.
Ronnie was better than I expected.
Charlie definitely air drummed it. For technical reason's I'm sure.

Now let's get that record out mates.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:50

The UK broadcast ( on BBC now) has some UK only performances: Rag & Bone Man is currently singing The Times They Are a-Changing, Tom Jones to come, and some others.
McCartney was awful, wasn't he.

Date: April 19, 2020 21:56

Bungo
My thoughts on the Stones' performance :

I didn't "get" that particular song choice At all.
Mick carried the show with a good performance and great hair color.
Not sure that Keith was in to this at all. Reminded me of old lip-synch TV performances from the 60's.
Ronnie was better than I expected.
Charlie definitely air drummed it. For technical reason's I'm sure.

Now let's get that record out mates.

I agree w/ a lot of this...

I really enjoyed it overall.

Mick def carried it....Keef is always a bit out there and burnt. I think he just kicked-back and let Mick carry it...chillin' in the office (or whatever) and just adding where he thinks he needs to add. Good old Keef.

As for song-choice, I've always taken YCAGWYW to be about accepting what life throws at you, so it made "sense" to me.

I honestly thought they'd do "Miss You" but I think that needs too much "stuff" to pull off in this setting (ie. it can't be done as an easy-going acoustic tune). I was hoping for "Salt of the Earth" but wonder if Keef can pull it off w/o some solid rehearsal time together in the same room w/ the band.

Ron is always pretty solid and fun. Typical Ron.

I assumed Charlie "air-drummed" it (or whatever he was doing) b/c they didn't really need "drums" for this version.

I really liked looking at the background of everybody's houses....Charlie w/ the rows of vinyl, Mick w/ the art, Keef w/ photos of who-knows-what (and was that water or.....)

it was simply fun to feel somewhat normal again by just enjoying a Stones tune. It was "sad" when it was over b/c I sort-of snapped back to reality again.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:01

Charlie was not miming or air drumming.

The drumsticks had sensor/trigger technology.
You hit a surface and it triggers a drum sound.

These aren't the one's he used, but this video gives you an idea of the Technology involved...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 22:01 by mikehat.

Date: April 19, 2020 22:04

mikehat
Charlie was not miming or air drumming.

The drumsticks had sensor/trigger technology.
You hit a surface and it triggers a drum sound.

These aren't the one's he used, but this video gives you an idea of the Technology involved...

[www.youtube.com]

that's pretty cool...never knew about these. thanks for posting.

makes sense.

I was wondering what the deal was...

I figured he'd have one of those "practice" type kits that offer a "realistic-but-muffled-sound"....whatever they are called....the ones parents get for their kids so they don't want to murder them if they decide to take up drums....but, couldn't figure out what was going on when I saw him come on.

God bless parents who let their kids take up the drums.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:08

It's a bit hard on Keith to bash him over his playing here, Keith has had no interest in playing this song live since 82'
With the half a second time delay between continents he couldn't have played it with gousto without ruining the whole thing anyway

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:09

Really enjoyed it, fine performance and just great to see them. Far better than Macca and Elton. My other half, not the biggest Stones fan at all, even enjoyed and said they look and sound cool. They sure did.

Date: April 19, 2020 22:12

keithsman
It's a bit hard on Keith to bash him over his playing here, Keith has had no interest in playing this song live since 82'
With the half a second time delay between continents he couldn't have played it with gousto without ruining the whole thing anyway

obviously the best excuse right there, not trying to make up some thin story about how Keiths responsive digital pick couldn't quite trigger his samples or something

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home