Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 27
Re: The Rolling Stones joining One World - Together At Home, April 18
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:00

I’m glad Keith was there. (I’m glad Keith is anywhere.)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:04

GivenToFly15
open-g
Pie1
Can anyone make out what book that is on Keith's coffee-table (or is that a trunk ?) ?

The keyboard is the first instrument to come in, I think Mick is playing along to that +drums and bass, Ronnie and Keith are playing to the same with Mick's part added.

The book probably was Captain Teague's pirate codex. perhaps a household version.
the trunk might have been a Louis Vuitton case winking smiley

Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes. See there: [amazon01.pixnet.net]

Could be a fake book with boose inside, anyway.

Good find, here's the Vuitton case

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 18:06 by open-g.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:06

I can be the biggest critic of the Stones, but given the circumstances in which they presented themselves, they came across admirably and arguably were better than their contemporary heavyweight cohorts (Sir Paul, Elton). If I had to pick the single best performance of the night, I would say Lizzo killed it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 18:12 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:10

I loved watching it. Liked Keith's understated playing and Charlie air drumming shows they don't take themselves too seriously. Coolest part of the show (sorry Melinda Gates).

Posted by: admorgan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:10

Nikkei
Living across the pond, Keith was supposed to be in bed for hours but had to stay up for this

Think you got this wrong way round Keith lives (mainly) in the US, the others were in Europe (well certainly Ron and Charlie), it was clearly recorded earlier though like all the performances.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:19

ErwinH
I always thought drummers with electronic equipment were 'stupid'.
Last months I read about 'freedrum' , something like Charlie used last night.

This morning I thougt : If Charlie uses these then it must be cool..
so I ordered a pair of freedrum-sticks and 2 foot-sensors :-)

I've had the freedrum kit for a few years. I didn't see the sensors, but I only watched twice. Freedrums can be flaky, which would explain Charlie looking like he's just pretending, and the "width" of the "kit".

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:20

Pie1
Can anyone make out what book that is on Keith's coffee-table (or is that a trunk ?) ?

The keyboard is the first instrument to come in, I think Mick is playing along to that +drums and bass, Ronnie and Keith are playing to the same with Mick's part added.

Yeah the book is - "The Brian Jones contributions to the Rolling Stones (Vol 1)".
Vol 2 and 3 will be out next year....

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:28

Has Keith given CBD oil or hand balm a try for his arthritis? Seems to work pretty well for the Kaukonens:

Here’s their testimonial:

[jormas-choice.com]

It’s pretty amazing to hear what Jorma can still lay down. This is his show from last night. There’s a nice shout out to the Stones during the intro. Just skip to around the 1:17 mark to see the evidence that a 79 year old can still play fluid, tasty licks:

[m.youtube.com]

One of only three performers left (the other two being his Jefferson Airplane bandmates Grace Slick and Jack Casady) to play at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock and Altamont, as well as the original 1968 Isle Of Wight Festival.

Keith and Jorma both draw inspiration and share a reverence for the pre-WWII bluesmen and non-standard tunings. Would love to see them collaborate.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:28

Librarian
Omg I joked about the critique of Keef right before it actually started. Ha

For the critics out there, listen again you can actually hear keef sing.

You can actually barely hear Keith sing most of his lines, and you can hear about five strums, if you listen closely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 18:32 by bam.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:39

The Stones did very well...participated with an unforgettable performance....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:41

Sighunt
If I had to pick the single best performance of the night, I would say Lizzo killed it!

Yes - that was pretty powerful!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:49

admorgan
Nikkei
Living across the pond, Keith was supposed to be in bed for hours but had to stay up for this

Think you got this wrong way round Keith lives (mainly) in the US, the others were in Europe (well certainly Ron and Charlie), it was clearly recorded earlier though like all the performances.

I am still the undisputed queen in completely backwards assessments of Stones performances

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:58

bernard90mike
JDSAM1994
The amount of negative comments on here about the performance is absolutely ridiculous! You guys making those comments aren’t real stones fans. No matter how much you believe you are, you’re not.

Say something nice or go away! Take your unappreciative grumpy a$$ somewhere else!
I feel free to say whatever I want to, if you can't handle other peoples comments... well that's your problem cool smiley

Thanks for the irrelevant info and sorry to interfere with your freedom of speech

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:00

I cant believe all the critics here.
That was a fine performance considering the circumstances.
It was for free and for a good cause.

They all looked healthy and in good spirits.

Charlie steals the show without even saying a word!
Personally I dont think he was playing a "virtual drum kit".
It was all tounge in cheek air drumming.

But what Im curious about is the reason Charlie did this?
We know he has a great sense of humor but,
Could it possibly be that he does not have an actual drum kit in his home?

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:03

Please stop judging this performance like it was a part of a real gig. Relax!
Be not stupid - be a Stone.
Roll with it and enjoy.
I did.
Most of IORR here did.
The Rolling Stones did.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:05

I wondered the same, I thought Charlie went air because they couldnt get the timimg perfect thus if the drums would be off by just a little, it would throw the entire act off.

Posted by: Fe2510 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:23

Amem!

Date: April 19, 2020 19:26

I'm 45, brazilian. First concert ever was when they came to Brazil for the first time in 1995. Since then, 1998 in Sao Paulo, 2006 in Copacabana and then 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. I had 4 tickets for 2020. So, yes, I'm very happy that they're still rolling and I was certainly happy to see them yesterday. But, blame me, I'm not ready to see the end yet and to think of it makes me cry. What can be wrong about that?

Date: April 19, 2020 19:29

You're probably right and that would be cool (as it was yesterday)! Hopefully they can tour in 2021, but will they be fit for and in the mood for that?

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:30

If anyone is so inclined, Richard Thompson is livestreaming on Facebook at 9:00 p.m. London, 4 p.m. New York and 1 p.m. L.A. time with a portion of the proceeds going to the New Jersey Foodbank:

[m.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 19:31 by Javadave.

Date: April 19, 2020 19:30

Hat's off to Mick Jagger. His voice and strumming created the right vibe. thumbs up

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:32

Woke up this morning realizing two things about last night’s Gaga fest, i.e. Global Citizen One World Together at Home concert.

First off, it reminded me why musicians usually make lousy promoters and concert organizers. While I have a lot of respect for Lady Gaga, she clearly is no Bob Geldorf. With that said, she did raise a bunch of money for a great cause. She also showed she sincerely cares for the front -line workers this show was designed to bring light to, and she nailed Charlie Chaplin’s “Smile” to open the show in her somewhat modest, compared to Keith Urban, studio.

Secondly, I suddenly realized this may have been the final time we see the Rolling Stones play live as a group. If this was it, it’s likely not going to be because Charlie Watts doesn’t know how to work from home, which he’s clearly mastered like many of us have during this staycation. It also won’t be due to a lack of antibodies in Keith’s blood that couldn't kill a stupid virus, at least according to the internet buzz. I also doubt Ronnie falls off the wagon as he’s now giving Mick a run for his money in terms of healthy living and energy, and as long as there are chicks alive, people to play to and money to be made, we know Mick isn’t going anywhere. So, if the boys can stay healthy and properly socially distanced, something they’ve been practicing more than most of us for years, the world should see a grand celebration in 2022 for their 60th anniversary world tour, a few shows at a time, in a few select cities, so my mind was put to rest on the sentimental Last Time paranoia.

As for the performance last night, I secretly hoped for a new song, or for something more obscure and timely like “Ventilator Blues”. Then I remembered even without Chuck picking the setlist, they needed to do something familiar they didn’t mess up, and of several options this turned out to be a solid choice as they clearly stole the show based on the public’s reaction.

Thought it was cool that after a day of who cares about celebrities like Matthew McConaughey introducing the different (mostly) who cares about artists, no intro was needed for The Rolling Stones. In comparison, LiveAid flowed so nicely with artists who everyone loved giving stellar performances, versus the crew they put together yesterday. There were exceptions, and no disrespect meant to anyone, except Paul McCartney, Elton John, and the guy who couldn't even make his bed before he performed.

Elton played a song about standing up while sitting down, on a basketball court? Why would Elton John have a basketball court at his mansion…because he’s wanting to chime in on the Jordon vs Lebron debate, or because he’s such a baller?

Paul McCartney, who I normally enjoy when he plays live, must have lost a bet to Keith after his Howard Stern comments about the Beatles being superior to the Stones. Keith’s ask was for him to redo Lady Madonna as if he was Bob Dylan remaking a hit song into something we all struggle with, as Dylan is a master at doing.

Either way, I remember watching LiveAid, and I remember the concert for 9/11, and this missed the mark. For most of the day I just figured the problem was the technical challenges of performing from home versus in front of an audience, but not for Stevie, or The Killers, or Lizzo, and definitely not for these four guys from England who showed us not only can it be done, but it can be fun, sound good, and it sadly showed us this whole show could have been so much better.

As for the Stones specifically, I’d give it a 7, that moved quickly to a 9 once I realized Charlie was having so much fun. Watching him come on last and then looking up and smiling after a few seconds, knowing the whole world now sees he is playing air, is a moment that will always be remembered by those of us who remember different unique Stones moments like that. Every drummer in the world watching at this point is smiling, as is every Stones fan. A few seconds in, Charlie looks confidently at the camera, with a “yes, I am playing air, and I don’t care” look. He then gets a kick out of Ronnie not being able to resist answering “Cherry Red” to Mick’s favorite flavor question, then smiles proudly during Ronnie’s solo. How is he not a Sir? Definitely wouldn't want it, but his modesty and professionalism and skill seem to be what that title is designed for, at least from an outsider’s perspective from the US.Funny thing is the last swings of Charlie's sticks actually sound as if his sticks may have been live...

The performance was clearly organized and orchestrated by Mick, likely with Matt Clifford’s help as they seem to work so well together, but why not have his French horn inserted to the beginning as Zoom does hold more than four spots? Also, why no Darryl? You could hear what I assume was his bass, or should have been his bass. At what point does he get to join the band? Ronnie also seemed to have more involvement in the rehearsals based on how they synced. Also heard the keyboards of Matt, or Chuck?

Once I put headphones on and relistened, I could now hear Keith was actually playing, but he either was playing so quietly or he was so turned down, that his guitar was almost unnoticeable. This was a shame as the little I heard I liked, especially the first few notes, but it would have been nice if that could have been a larger part of the song. Liked him singing backing vocals, timing a bit off, but mostly just great to see KR with a guitar in his hand, especially from his living room. He seemed to be having fun, just like Sir Charlie Watts and Mick and Ronnie. I kept trying to click each band members square like in Four Flicks to get a KeithCam view, but I guess that’s coming in the next PPV hopefully someone is organizing.

Glad to see the world enjoyed it, more compliments than age jokes, which is always nice to see. Hoping they use the time to continue finding ways to make new music and stay healthy so the Sixty Year Anniversary tour is their coolest one yet.

Long live the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:35

Mick was playing lead guitar this time, it would not make any sense for Keith just to double what Mick already was playing.

Keith added some nice colouring instead, which he often does on electric as well, the difference being on an acoustic that kind of playing doesn't cut through as clearly.

Nothing wrong with Keith's playing, the alternative would've been for him to play the usual electric lead he does on this song BUT it's hard to make an electric lead guitar sound good without proper recording equipment and if they only had a simple camera setup for this recording it would make much more sense for Keith to play acoustic.

This was a nice semi-unplugged version, don't know why people are complaining,

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:36

TheflyingDutchman
Hat's off to Mick Jagger. His voice and strumming created the right vibe. thumbs up

Of course, he had been rehearsing for it. thumbs up

Date: April 19, 2020 19:59

EasterMan
Mick was playing lead guitar this time, it would not make any sense for Keith just to double what Mick already was playing.

Keith added some nice colouring instead, which he often does on electric as well, the difference being on an acoustic that kind of playing doesn't cut through as clearly.

Nothing wrong with Keith's playing, the alternative would've been for him to play the usual electric lead he does on this song BUT it's hard to make an electric lead guitar sound good without proper recording equipment and if they only had a simple camera setup for this recording it would make much more sense for Keith to play acoustic.

Mick played rhythm guitar smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:01

JDSAM1994
bernard90mike
JDSAM1994
The amount of negative comments on here about the performance is absolutely ridiculous! You guys making those comments aren’t real stones fans. No matter how much you believe you are, you’re not.

Say something nice or go away! Take your unappreciative grumpy a$$ somewhere else!
I feel free to say whatever I want to, if you can't handle other peoples comments... well that's your problem cool smiley

Thanks for the irrelevant info and sorry to interfere with your freedom of speech

Oh jeez...it's been quite awhile since some here have been scolded and told they're not "real Stones fans" for giving an honest critique of the band....funny stuff!
Now go get your cheerleading costume on and try and chase all the unfriendly enemies away to make this a safe haven for "true" fans....

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:01

What is the point of being critical?

Mick could have done it by himself, the others were obviously happy to be on board. Charlie's air-drumming was pretty great, I thought.

It was nice just to see them.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:05

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

Mick played rhythm guitar smiling smiley

Depends on how you define rhythm guitar. If you think the sporadic licks Ronnie was playing is lead guitar then fine. For me the person who plays the lead chords on this song is playing lead, just like I think Keith is playing lead on Start Me Up etc.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:14

That's an interesting/odd/unorthodox way of looking at it EasterMan - it's always cool to see someone make up their own rules and break from tradition.

Date: April 19, 2020 20:19

I liked it !! Quit watching after them but that sounded the best out the ones I listened to .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home