Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie - Slide On Live: Plugged In and Standing
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:13

I've always liked Ronnie's solo works apart from a few exceptions, but this CD I bought at the time of Voodoo Lounge is really fantastic.
Today I was listening to him at high volume and my 16 year old grandson came to see me while listening to him ... he wanted a copy at all costs. Obviously I was pleased ... it also means that this album is also liked by those who are not a fan of the Rolling Stones or Ronnie ... was particularly impressed by Breathe On Me which in my opinion on this CD has a fantastic version.
Recording is also great ... but the whole setlist is nice, Bernard does a great job.
What can I say ... it's just rock'n roll but I like it!

Re: Ronnie - Slide On Live: Plugged In and Standing
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:49

Great great performance and set list. Go Ronnie go

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 16, 2020 02:35

I went to see Ronnie on the Slide on This US Tour in 1993, I think that was the year. He played The Ritz in NYC. I drove from DC and drove back after the show; crazy!
Ronnie and the band were great,really good. I knew Slide on THis by heart. So it was a feast. Bernard Fowler was exceptional. Great memories of a live show with no worries.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 16, 2020 02:56

I saw Ronnie at the old Bacchanal in San Diego when he was touring behind 'Slide On This'. Second row from the slightly raised stage, directly in front of keybordist Ian McLagen. It was an amazing show...and the loudest, given the confined venue; my ears were ringing for three days.

Ronnie's setlist was top-notch and covered all the bases: the new album, the Faces, and the Stones. The vocal trade-offs between Ronnie and Bernard Fowler created a great dynamic and the musicianship was all you could ask for. The highlight had to be Ronnie's slide medley with the Zemaitis. Love the way he plays that thing...always have, always will.

Stay safe everyone!

Date: April 16, 2020 03:59

The highlight had to be Ronnie's slide medley with the Zemaitis. Love the way he plays that thing...always have, always will.
Yes very funny! I especially like Ronnie on the slide and I love her Zemaitis.
In the Stones, for example, I love it on songs like Let it Bleed, I also like it on the horizontal slide (Totally Stripped version), but also on the Zemaitis in Hampton, Let it Bleed seems tailor-made for Ronnie's style.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 16, 2020 06:18

Saw a date on that tour. Best way to describe the gig was raucous, absolutely fantastic. Somebody threw a bottle of water onstage and Ronnie said “......don’t throw water, throw whiskey.” Made me think back to the Faces days. One of my all time favourite solo gigs. “Pretty Beat Up” still sticks in my mind from that one.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 16, 2020 11:47

One of the best live albums out there.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 15:01

I'm a big fan of all of Ronnie's solo studio and live albums. Raucous rock'n'roll. I saw him live in Dublin December 2001 and Londons Drury Lane summer 2005; loved both. The 2001 album 'Not for Beginners' has some wonderful material on it.

My top 3 solo Ron would still be debut solo album. Now Look, and Slide on This. Great stuff indeed.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 15:21

I got to see two show's on this tour, one at Toad's Place in New Haven Ct,Ronnie yelled out that it was good to be back at Toad's,the Stones did a warm up gig there in 1989,I got in on that one to,I then saw him in NYC,both where a lot of fun.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 16, 2020 15:22

Saw the Atlanta show. Great fun. Got very close to the stage. Sat by Izzy Stradlin at the bar.

Date: April 16, 2020 15:29

IrelandCalling4
I'm a big fan of all of Ronnie's solo studio and live albums. Raucous rock'n'roll. I saw him live in Dublin December 2001 and Londons Drury Lane summer 2005; loved both. The 2001 album 'Not for Beginners' has some wonderful material on it.

My top 3 solo Ron would still be debut solo album. Now Look, and Slide on This. Great stuff indeed.
I really like Gimme Some Neck but it has a big flaw in the bad sound, otherwise it would be a fantastic album, there are great songs there.
Edit. This version of Pretty Beat Up is fantastic, great Bernard and Ronnie's great solo!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 15:36 by Testify.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 17:17

Pretty Beat Up is damn good, yes. I love the Stones version also, one of my absolute favourites on Undercover. Just such a groove! And that sax break.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 16, 2020 19:21

Glad you brought this up, I recall loving this disc, but haven't listened to it in years. I will play it today!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 16, 2020 22:46

Does anyone ever saw a videoshooting of these gigs ??
The "Slide On Live" Home Video Footage is mentioned in the booklet of the Continuum CD from 1993. The pictures are taken from this videofootage.
Always curious to see this , but never ever had a chance.
Anyone?

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 18, 2020 03:56

Hey Testify!

A good companion piece to the 'Slide On Live' CD is Ronnie's 'Live and Eclectic' release on the Burning Airlines/NMC label. It's comprised of ten tracks performed at Electric Ladyland Studios for a radio broadcast as well three live tracks from the tour. Although the CD credits say those tracks were recorded in Austin, TX, I've seen documentation stating they were sourced from the San Diego show.

Songs exclusive to 'Live and Eclectic' include the following:

1-Always Wanted More
2-Black Limousine
3-Little Red Rooster
4-I Know I'm Losing You (Live)
5-It's Only Rock & Roll (Live)

While you may already be familiar with 'Live and Eclectic', I figured I'd bring it to your attention just the same.

Cheers!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 18, 2020 23:44

The sound on Live and Eclectic is good, yet Wood is so drunk on some songs, that they are not listenable. An example is Josephine, on which Wood has lost any control over his performance. I agree that there were great concerts on that tour, and Slide on live is a very good album. It brings back memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-23 00:03 by windmelody.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:30

I never cared for those two albums. Bad energy. Alcohol and all that.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:38

FancyBluesMan
Hey Testify!

A good companion piece to the 'Slide On Live' CD is Ronnie's 'Live and Eclectic' ...

Yes! I have that one too, and if I recall correctly "Live & Eclectic" was actually released before "Slide On Live", at least I recall having that one first anyway.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:55

LeonidP
FancyBluesMan
Hey Testify!

A good companion piece to the 'Slide On Live' CD is Ronnie's 'Live and Eclectic' ...

Yes! I have that one too, and if I recall correctly "Live & Eclectic" was actually released before "Slide On Live", at least I recall having that one first anyway.

Slide On Live originally released in 1993 on Continuum Records.
Live And Eclctic was released in 2000

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2020 12:35

"Slide on This Live" - yes, it's a decent live album.
If it was not for Bernard Fowler. Dreadful. Pretty Beat Up would have been OK, if not for him, for instance.

When it comes to "Live and Eclectic" - I remember even the great RS expert/collector Dieter Hoffman wrote something like "when it comes to the musical content.....no comment!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 12:35 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:29

Erik_Snow
If it was not for Bernard Fowler. Dreadful. Pretty Beat Up would have been OK, if not for him, for instance.

When it comes to "Live and Eclectic" - I remember even the great RS expert/collector Dieter Hoffman wrote something like "when it comes to the musical content.....no comment!"

Well, I don't remember Hoffie as an expert for actual musical content, but here he obviously has a point! Share your enthusiasm for Fowler, btw.

Apart from that, "Live and Eclectic" and the bonus material were straight rips from the according Swingin' Pig CDs, the Austin/San Diego recording location error included. Not exactly the Pig's fault, btw. because the source sold it like this and crosschecking opportunities were minimal back in the days. However, Burning Airlines in cooperation with Woody's management did not do any better, so that's for the quality control in Ronnie's camp...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 19:30 by retired_dog.

Date: April 21, 2020 07:25

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

Well, I don't remember Hoffie as an expert for actual musical content, but here he obviously has a point! Share your enthusiasm for Fowler, btw.

No, he never did speak about the musical content, that's true, and that's why I paid attention to his, for once, honest opinion.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 21, 2020 14:40

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

Apart from that, "Live and Eclectic" and the bonus material were straight rips from the according Swingin' Pig CDs, the Austin/San Diego recording location error included. Not exactly the Pig's fault, btw. because the source sold it like this and crosschecking opportunities were minimal back in the days. However, Burning Airlines in cooperation with Woody's management did not do any better, so that's for the quality control in Ronnie's camp...

That´s absolutely true.
I was quite dissapointed about live and eclected, because it was only a copy of a bootleg that I owed.
There was a bonus-disc that was even worse, an audience-recorded source!!!

The gigs, Ronnie did that time, were fantastic. I guess, his best ever solo-gigs. Bernhard Fowler as a replacemant for Rod Steward was a good choice, he did a great job.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 21, 2020 19:58

Testify
IrelandCalling4

I really like Gimme Some Neck but it has a big flaw in the bad sound, otherwise it would be a fantastic album, there are great songs there.
Edit. This version of Pretty Beat Up is fantastic, great Bernard and Ronnie's great solo!

[www.youtube.com]

Pretty Beat UP ranks right up there for me as one of the best RS songs never played live....too bad...

Date: April 22, 2020 05:58

deardoctor
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

That´s absolutely true.
I was quite dissapointed about live and eclected, because it was only a copy of a bootleg that I owed.

The gigs, Ronnie did that time, were fantastic. I guess, his best ever solo-gigs. Bernhard Fowler as a replacemant for Rod Steward was a good choice, he did a great job.

Can't believe you think that. Neither when it comes to Ron Wood nor when it comes to Fowler.

But it's always nice that people are of different opinions.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 22, 2020 08:30

deardoctor
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

That´s absolutely true.

I was dissappointed too and I payed a lot of money for this release!
I ouldn't believe an audience recording was chosen for being officially released!

Date: April 22, 2020 19:33

I don't mind Live and Eclectic, but it is certainly a poor recording, much better Slide on This Live.
Bernard really liked me and helped Ronnie in the vocal parts in an excellent way. Also on the album Slide On This Bernard did an excellent job in my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home