Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Crowd carrying Mick - Gimme Shelter - Tokyo 1988
Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: April 17, 2020 20:28

dcba
The Joker
[youtu.be]

Was this GS intro routine for Mick during the 1988 solo tour?

Apparently Mick did a "Emmanuel Macron" that night. He put unhealthy things in his nostrils then he pumped into action but he failed to notice the (hostile) reality of his surroundings...
Why Macron ?

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: April 17, 2020 20:46

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
kovach
NilsHolgersson
Something I don't see him doing nowaday (#nofilter era)

Was kinda surprised when he wondered through the crowd during the '81 shows less than a year after Lennon was shot

I assumed that was done as a one-off stunt for the 'Lets Spend the Night Together' movie.

Didn't he do it in Leeds as well, or am I mixing them up here?

He did it in the Hampton show, as well as the 11/23 Chicago show I attended.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: April 17, 2020 20:51

This was the last show he was still using his 81/82 voice. Deeper to conserve it.

By the Australia tour, he had reverted to singing in tune and over-enunciating similar to Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 17, 2020 20:58

rollmops
That video is really crazy to watch. What a nightmare it must have been for Mick and his body guards. Highly dramatic as Mick could have been killed. I don't know who vetoed that idea but the Asian fans loved their Mick Jagger so must that they could have hurt him badly. Facinating video to watch!Hey Gimme a shelter and he meant it.
Rockandroll,
Mops

You can almost sense Jim Callaghan thinking 'f**k this, Dylan mightnt pay me as much, but at least he doesnt try brainless stunts like this....'

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 17, 2020 21:47

RisingStone
Stonesfan2146
What was the matter with Micks voice? he sings Gimme Shelter so different just one year later on the Steel Wheels tour?
This version of Gimme Shelter sounds a bit like the 70s version but with older Mick.

Tis is 89:

[www.youtube.com]

Mick was not in his best nick on these Tokyo shows. He caught a cold in Osaka and had to have the fourth and final Osaka show postponed from March 19 to 28 which as a result ended up as the final Japanese date. As far as I know, the bulk of the TV broadcasted performances are from March 22 which is the first show after three days-off hence his voice. FYI at least Brown Sugar and It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll are from March 23 with the guest appearance of Tina Turner who was touring Japan around the same time. In turn, Mick joined the encore of Tina’s Osaka-jo Hall show, March 27, for Honky Tonk Women, which drove the crowd nuts (I was there, too).

Yeah.. I wonder why Tina Turner only performed with Mick the solo artist a few times.. she would have made a great Rolling Stones guest singer

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 17, 2020 22:04

Probably because she hardly needed the exposure - she was selling far more records than either Mick or the Stones were and was quite capable of filling stadiums on her own.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 18, 2020 01:07

These two old threads may be useful for deeper understanding:

“Mick Jagger Tokyo Dome 1988”
[iorr.org]

“What’s your opinion of the Steel Wheels tour?”
[iorr.org]

I remember that some Japanese fans who flew over to America to catch the Steel Wheels Tour prior to the Tokyo shows already observed some similarity to Mick’s solo shows...there you go.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home