Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: What happened to the Vault series?
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 23, 2020 00:19

Paul Kersey
I'd like more audio only releases. Not sure why they stopped doing them.

It’s a record company issue. A physical release of an audio product is Universal’s territory. A bonus audio disc with a dvd is something Eagle Rock (who is responsible for the From the Vault series) can do.

You’d think everyone would learn to get along by now, but some things never change.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: April 23, 2020 03:08

tommycharles
Paul Kersey

It’s a record company issue. A physical release of an audio product is Universal’s territory. A bonus audio disc with a dvd is something Eagle Rock (who is responsible for the From the Vault series) can do.

You’d think everyone would learn to get along by now, but some things never change.

They are the same company at conglomerate level. it's just a divisional function, like the merchandise wing.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 23, 2020 04:16

I would love pre, say, 1975 releases too, but the problem I think (beyond the lack of video accompaniment already mentioned) is do they have sources for other things? Meaning did they take the time and energy (not to mention money) to record shows back then? I suspect not, and if the did, they would not be multi track masters so you would have to contend with front-of-house mixes. So yeah they could reach out to tapers of the period or even bootleg releases, or even promotors who were on the ball (like Bill Graham, recorded all their appearances at his shows I think) and ask them to contribute material, but again it is not going to sound like "pro" recordings. Which is fine to collectors like you and me, but you know others are going to be put off by the sound of the recordings and I think Mick at least would be highly reluctant to just put out bootleg sounding material. One small piece of proof of all this is the critical drubbing Ladies and Gentlemen has been getting here over its less than stellar sound quality and mix (imo...that's the way it has always sounded and its because the source tape recordings sound like that...that's why it never really got wider distribution, the Stones just didn't like the finished product, despite the (presumed) multi track professional recording. Conjecture on my part but it does fit the objective reality.)

so that leaves the more modern days, where recording IS much more prevalent and convenient, and that's what we are seeing getting released. I actually love everything I can get especially from before 1990 lets say, but I do wish there was more early archival footage or at least audio, and it seems from what we have seen that pretty much the bottom of the barrel has been scraped.

jb

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 23, 2020 04:41

jbwelda
I would love pre, say, 1975 releases too, but the problem I think (beyond the lack of video accompaniment already mentioned) is do they have sources for other things? Meaning did they take the time and energy (not to mention money) to record shows back then? I suspect not, and if the did, they would not be multi track masters so you would have to contend with front-of-house mixes. So yeah they could reach out to tapers of the period or even bootleg releases, or even promotors who were on the ball (like Bill Graham, recorded all their appearances at his shows I think) and ask them to contribute material, but again it is not going to sound like "pro" recordings. Which is fine to collectors like you and me, but you know others are going to be put off by the sound of the recordings and I think Mick at least would be highly reluctant to just put out bootleg sounding material. One small piece of proof of all this is the critical drubbing Ladies and Gentlemen has been getting here over its less than stellar sound quality and mix (imo...that's the way it has always sounded and its because the source tape recordings sound like that...that's why it never really got wider distribution, the Stones just didn't like the finished product, despite the (presumed) multi track professional recording. Conjecture on my part but it does fit the objective reality.)

so that leaves the more modern days, where recording IS much more prevalent and convenient, and that's what we are seeing getting released. I actually love everything I can get especially from before 1990 lets say, but I do wish there was more early archival footage or at least audio, and it seems from what we have seen that pretty much the bottom of the barrel has been scraped.

jb

I read that in 1972 they (maybe just Richards) would listen to a mix of the show after every concert. Andy Johns was on the road with them.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 23, 2020 05:51

I've also heard that every show from 72 was recorded and we know at least the last 10 from '69 were recorded.

Date: April 23, 2020 07:24

Well that's pretty surprising to me, but the real question then is, does anyone know where the tapes currently are, and are they usable sources for professional quality releases? And recordings made to review after a show are not really up to snuff for professional releases, usually they are just the front of house mix in mono or at most stereo. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see those too, but history has sort of shown us that the band seems to not want to release sub-par, audio quality speaking, recordings, and have a tendency to over-produce the ones they do issue.

jb

Date: April 23, 2020 07:26

tommycharles
Paul Kersey

Brussels Affair was released by RS Records.

And isn't Eagle Rock owned by Universal?

Date: April 23, 2020 07:58

jbwelda
Well that's pretty surprising to me, but the real question then is, does anyone know where the tapes currently are, and are they usable sources for professional quality releases? And recordings made to review after a show are not really up to snuff for professional releases, usually they are just the front of house mix in mono or at most stereo. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see those too, but history has sort of shown us that the band seems to not want to release sub-par, audio quality speaking, recordings, and have a tendency to over-produce the ones they do issue.

jb

Absolutely correct. That's why they never released "Rocks Off" or "Sweet Black Angel"–even as bonus footage–despite having those songs filmed for Ladies & Gents.

I'm sure the mixes they listened to are not ready for release and were just for reference. If they have the individual tracks, that would be the key. Then again, they already released something from that tour, would they do it again?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 23, 2020 11:30

TravelinMan

Absolutely correct. That's why they never released "Rocks Off" or "Sweet Black Angel"–even as bonus footage–despite having those songs filmed for Ladies & Gents.

The true reason is they don't know where the footage is. Neither the original L&G cam neg or the raw footage. Psst gone! Missing!
Videojames revealed this fact here years ago.

Logically the 16-tracks audio tapes of the 4 gigs are stored in the band's vault.
But as the end-of-the-tour gigs (Philie and Pittsburg) are far better than the June 24 & 25 perfs there's little chance the Texas gigs will be ever used for an official release (or maybe "Black Angel" and "Don't Lie" as bonus tracks?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-23 15:29 by dcba.

Date: April 23, 2020 16:39

dcba
TravelinMan

The true reason is they don't know where the footage is. Neither the original L&G cam neg or the raw footage. Psst gone! Missing!
Videojames revealed this fact here years ago.

Logically the 16-tracks audio tapes of the 4 gigs are stored in the band's vault.
But as the end-of-the-tour gigs (Philie and Pittsburg) are far better than the June 24 & 25 perfs there's little chance the Texas gigs will be ever used for an official release (or maybe "Black Angel" and "Don't Lie" as bonus tracks?)

I remember the VideoJames post, but why would Jagger say he didn't want to use "Rocks Off" because his vocals were out of tune? I remember that from the bonus footage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-23 16:43 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 24, 2020 20:44

Can't remember seing this one before... «The Rolling Stones ft. Stephen Stills - Street Fighting Man Oct 9th, 1970 RAI, Amsterdam (2020)» på YouTube
[youtu.be]

Date: April 26, 2020 02:20

very well said mickschix.

mickschix
Cheer up, Stickyfingers...from experience, I can assure you that there are those who visit IORR just to fight! Best advice...IGNORE THEM....they will eventually go away. Nothing YOU said was offensive in any way. I personally think that with the coronavirus, folks went OFF their meds....for whatever the reason...thus the insanity!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:36

Irix
MadMax

Now what would be the "perfect" city?

Munich, June 4-8, 2003 - [iorr.org] - [iorr.org] - [iorr.org] ?

Oh yes! I was there on June 4th. 2nd row. Waiting hours in the hot sun. What a great show and setlist!

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 14, 2020 18:29

Next release is Atlantic City 1989. Eagle Rock have sent it to be certified.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 14, 2020 18:54

Great news!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 14, 2020 19:17

I’ve noticed a lot of the songs from Brussels 1973 are not currently on You Tube.Does that imply that the Brussels show will be rereleased as part of the Goats Head Soup reissue.And why do the Roundhouse songs which were released on the Sticky Fingers deluxe sound so much better than Ladies and Gentlemen 1972 and other live shows if that era.Hopefully Bob Clearmountain could clean up these shows.He did wonders with Tops .Tops sounds so much better than Goats head Soup..I hope he is working on this project

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 14, 2020 19:21

DandelionPowderman
tommycharles
Paul Kersey

Rattle Snake Records...

Date: May 14, 2020 19:25

BRUSSELS was Promotone from what I can tell, which is probably being listed as Rolling Stones Records but that's defunct since 1993.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 14, 2020 19:30

flairville

Next release is Atlantic City 1989. Eagle Rock have sent it to be certified.

Yep: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Benjiboy13 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 21:32

Any chance for Trabendo 2012 I wonder? Know they did the Sticky Fingers club show, but this one would be fun, opening with Route 66 and really the first gig of the 8 year run they've been on since. High energy for a late day show from what I can tell based on the boot... know it was filmed professionally from the clip on YouTube.

Date: May 15, 2020 21:45

tommycharles
Paul Kersey

Eagle Rock is part of UMG, which so is Promotone and Interscope. There shouldn't really be any issue. With ATLANTIC CITY coming up in a few months, perhaps they just wanted to wait after releasing a plethora of old/older shows on top of the recent stuff.

Date: May 21, 2020 23:12

I would die for an official release of Out On Bail, Passaic New Jersey 78 Capitol Theatre I think it was. Long my favorite bootleg and I would hope they would have captured that set. Would make a great companion to El Mocambo club. Video would be even greater.

jb

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: May 22, 2020 15:48

it is known the edition of the vinyls will make editions in color and combos cd blu-ray or only cd / dvd

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 22, 2020 18:45

mick64

it is known the edition of the vinyls will make editions in color and combos cd blu-ray or only cd / dvd

Not yet since there's no official announcement (only the PG-rating by FSK and BBFC).

Date: May 22, 2020 18:47

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
tommycharles
Paul Kersey

Rattle Snake Records...

LOL, Rolling Stones Records

Date: May 22, 2020 19:23

GasLightStreet
BRUSSELS was Promotone from what I can tell, which is probably being listed as Rolling Stones Records but that's defunct since 1993.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: May 26, 2020 22:30

They will release on vinyl and cd Brussels Affair.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 26, 2020 23:44

mick64
They will release on vinyl and cd Brussels Affair.
No info about Brussels Affair. It is the easiest choice for bonus disc of GHS but it is not certain at all. So do not expect miracles.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 27, 2020 00:20

No expectations...

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 30, 2020 19:55

Anyone saw this:

[www.amazon.co.jp]

A new mix and in a vinyl like cardboard L.A. '75
Also new version Hampton '81 is on the side (minus new mix).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-30 19:57 by GJV.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home