Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: What happened to the Vault series?
Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 14, 2020 12:49

FWIW, upon announcing last week the postponement of a 2020 summer tour, King Crimson made their entire 11-show 2008 tour available for download for $67 (dgmlive.com). They have previously made other entire tours available for download. One can only dream that the Stones would do same.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 14, 2020 16:24

This is still the Vault Releases thread, is it not?

I'm confused....I'm "selfish" (and "the reason the human race won't survive")for saying I think a Vault Release could be done online?

....and now I'm "juvenile" for defending myself against such totally unwarranted (and off-topic) attacks?

Plexi - I normally like your take on things and enjoy your posts...but, I already have a dad who slapped me around and bashed mine and my brothers' heads together. But certainly not for defending myself against unwarranted insults.

Thanks for the offer, though. I do need it sometimes. This just isn't one of those times.

I came here to discuss Vault Releases...not how their "importance" compares to global crises.

Just wondering - when has there NOT been a global crisis that could be deemed "more important" than Vault Releases? Give me a break. If "is there a more important world crisis at the moment?" is the litmus test, then pack up the plantation b/c there's no point in music-releases at all. Ever.

My position is simple: Any work that can be done "online" (including Vault Releases) should be encouraged, not discouraged...for one, it HELPS fight the global crisis b/c it creates taxable income and spending w/ which to fund the fight and other vital social services, like unemployment.

a portion of the proceeds could go to charity too, if the Stones weren't so f'n greedy.

But, whatever.

That being said: Wembley 1995...release it! I don't care if it is good or not! I'm selfish and juvenile and I WANT MY MTV....errr...I mean Wembley release!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: April 14, 2020 17:34

1989 Atlantic City was a pay per view. You should be able to find soundboard or FM audio as well as video.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Date: April 14, 2020 17:37

St. Louis 1997 also should be widely available in excellent quality.

Date: April 14, 2020 17:43

St.Louis 1997 Unofficial release Way of Wonders WOW-068.

Atlantic City "Terrifying" DVD released in 2014. Available on Amazon for $102. I guess not many more are available.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 14, 2020 17:45

BOBM

Atlantic City "Terrifying" DVD released in 2014.

It was an unofficially grey-market release (already in 2007) - [www.Amazon.com] - [www.Amazon.co.uk] - [www.Amazon.de] - [www.eBay.com] - [www.Discogs.com] . The Video-Quality is VHS-like.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-14 18:00 by Irix.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 14, 2020 18:49

Irix
BOBM

It was an unofficially grey-market release (already in 2007) - [www.Amazon.com] - [www.Amazon.co.uk] - [www.Amazon.de] - [www.eBay.com] - [www.Discogs.com] . The Video-Quality is VHS-like.

It is kind of strange that Atlantic City wasn't released already, as GasLightStreet mentioned...last fall/winter for example would have been fitting as it would have been 30 years. But who really knows what goes on behind the vaults. I did think it was still a given for release though eventually, if we are to assume that "Atlanta 1989" was indeed a typo on that now ancient press release. Is there seriously a feeling that it might not get official non-grey market release someday because of Trump? Seems he wouldn't have control over such a thing despite owning the venue at the time.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 14, 2020 19:50

Cheer up, Stickyfingers...from experience, I can assure you that there are those who visit IORR just to fight! Best advice...IGNORE THEM....they will eventually go away. Nothing YOU said was offensive in any way. I personally think that with the coronavirus, folks went OFF their meds....for whatever the reason...thus the insanity!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2020 20:51

Irix
BOBM

Not the one I have as it is pristine in video and audio quality along with Montreal Olympic Stadium show from Steel Wheels . It's funny as I have the official release from Tokyo and I have never watched it and I have never even opened it either , as I could watch Eric Clapton Guesting on Little Red Rooster -which is great !

Date: April 14, 2020 23:27

stickyfingers101

I'm confused....I'm "selfish" (and "the reason the human race won't survive")for saying I think a Vault Release could be done online?

....and now I'm "juvenile" for defending myself against such totally unwarranted (and off-topic) attacks?

Plexi - I normally like your take on things and enjoy your posts...but, I already have a dad who slapped me around and bashed mine and my brothers' heads together. But certainly not for defending myself against unwarranted insults.

Thanks for the offer, though. I do need it sometimes. This just isn't one of those times.

I came here to discuss Vault Releases...not how their "importance" compares to global crises.

Just wondering - when has there NOT been a global crisis that could be deemed "more important" than Vault Releases? Give me a break. If "is there a more important world crisis at the moment?" is the litmus test, then pack up the plantation b/c there's no point in music-releases at all. Ever.

My position is simple: Any work that can be done "online" (including Vault Releases) should be encouraged, not discouraged...for one, it HELPS fight the global crisis b/c it creates taxable income and spending w/ which to fund the fight and other vital social services, like unemployment.

a portion of the proceeds could go to charity too, if the Stones weren't so f'n greedy.

But, whatever.

That being said: Wembley 1995...release it! I don't care if it is good or not! I'm selfish and juvenile and I WANT MY MTV....errr...I mean Wembley release!

It is indeed a Vault Releases thread, though the very question posed in the thread topic ("what happened to...") seems to reflect a lack of perspective about the state of the world right now, in my opinion.

That said, I'm sorry about the way things devolved.

There's likely no one on this site who doesn't want another Vault Release, though we all argue about which one it should be. There's nothing wrong with wanting one, but it seems to me that the answer to the question posed in the thread topic is the global pandemic and that seems understandable to me. Anyone who doesn't find it understandable that most music releases have stopped doesn't seem to appreciate how many people are immobilized right now. Again, in my opinion.

I realize you didn't start the thread. You are asking why an enterprise such as a vault release cannot simply be done online and not by legions of dedicated people. It doesn't make you offensive, or a bad person. I already posted that "selfish" may not be the right word, but it certainly seems that a bigger perspective is not there about what this damn virus has done to commerce. This pandemic has brought the world to it's knees in ways that most people alive today have never seen, so to compare it to any number of other global issues (of which there are admittedly many) also seems to lack perspective, in my opinion. There is no modern "litmus test" for this.

Ultimately, things got a bit "tit for tat" -ish. From Plexi's perspective, things were getting juvenile. Yeah, it was getting a little stupid with name calling and assumptions and likely things were lost in translation. I too don't need my head smacked, but I get where Plexi was coming from. Things were spiraling.

In one of your earlier messages there were olive branches detected amidst the insults that I read, so I'll extend a bit of my own. I'm sorry for my part in this, truly. As is often the case with online exchanges, understanding comes infrequently. Especially the way things were going.

This isn't about meds or insanity as mickschix so eloquently suggested, but a difference in perspective. And really, the perspective might not even be that different if this were in person, who knows. "Assume positive intent" is something often heard and I did not do a very good job of that, at the very least. For that I am also sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-14 23:55 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 15, 2020 00:55

floodonthepage
stickyfingers101

But, whatever.

It is indeed a Vault Releases thread, though the very question posed in the thread topic ("what happened to...") seems to reflect a lack of perspective about the state of the world right now, in my opinion.

There's likely no one on this site who doesn't want another Vault Release, though we all argue about which one it should be. There's nothing wrong with wanting one, but it seems to me that the answer to the question posed in the thread topic is the global pandemic and that seems understandable to me. Anyone who doesn't find it understandable that most music releases have stopped doesn't seem to appreciate how many people are immobilized right now. Again, in my opinion.

I realize you didn't start the thread. You are asking why an enterprise such as a vault release cannot simply be done online and not by legions of dedicated people. It doesn't make you offensive, or a bad person. I already posted that "selfish" may not be the right word, but it certainly seems that a bigger perspective is not there about what this damn virus has done to commerce. This pandemic has brought the world to it's knees in ways that most people alive today have never seen, so to compare it to any number of other global issues (of which there are admittedly many) also seems to lack perspective, in my opinion. There is no modern "litmus test" for this.

Ultimately, things got a bit "tit for tat" -ish. From Plexi's perspective, things were getting juvenile. Yeah, it was getting a little stupid with name calling and assumptions and likely things were lost in translation. I too don't need my head smacked, but I get where Plexi was coming from. Things were spiraling.

In one of your earlier messages there were olive branches detected amidst the insults that I read, so I'll extend a bit of my own. I'm sorry for my part in this, truly. As is often the case with online exchanges, understanding comes infrequently. Especially the way things were going.

This isn't about meds or insanity as mickschix so eloquently suggested, but a difference in perspective. And really, the perspective might not even be that different if this were in person, who knows. "Assume positive intent" is something often heard and I did not do a very good job of that, at the very least. For that I am also sorry.

Lost in translation -I think speak for many of us. It's an international forum, and things we say can be misiterpreted. I must say I admire the way you comunicate this and that It's never too late to put things in perspective as you do. We all make mistakes.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: April 15, 2020 02:57

As far as the Licks tour comes i think 2002 had some highlights. NY, Chicago, Boston, Philly

Licks version of Hot Stuff is pure fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-15 02:58 by rebelhipi.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 15, 2020 03:31

I'm not totally sure, but wasn't it said somewhere a year, or longer, ago, that "Light the fuse" and " Paris '76" were already in the can and waiting for their release?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-15 03:32 by GJV.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 15, 2020 03:50

I must be getting old,lol. I really don't have a desire for any vault releases after 1982...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2020 06:28

ThePaleRider
I must be getting old,lol. I really don't have a desire for any vault releases after 1982...

I'll go as far as '90. Or the 2012 rehearsals. Other than that I don't see a need. I've got Four Flicks, The Biggest Bang, and No Security.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 15, 2020 07:03

ab
FWIW, upon announcing last week the postponement of a 2020 summer tour, King Crimson made their entire 11-show 2008 tour available for download for $67 (dgmlive.com). They have previously made other entire tours available for download. One can only dream that the Stones would do same.

well back in 2002-2007, maybe later, the Who used to issue CDs and DVDs of ALL of their shows for purchase so even that would be good and/or download.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-15 07:13 by timbernardis.

Date: April 15, 2020 07:06

stickyfingers101

But, whatever.

well you are finally moving toward getting back on topic. Let the rest of the crap go.

plexi

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2020 15:57

timbernardis
ab

well back in 2002-2007, maybe later, the Who used to issue CDs and DVDs of ALL of their shows for purchase so even that would be good and/or download.

plexi

I think Pearl Jam started that even before that time.

It really is a no-brainer. How about you charge an extortionate amount for tickets, and with that, you give each ticket a download code printed on the ticket, to that show as a keepsake that will be available within a couple of weeks of the show?

Doesn't cost the Stones anything and is a great gesture to the fans.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 15, 2020 17:08

Only difference is at that time Pearl Jam's were sold by retailers after the tour.
The Who, Gov't Mule, KISS, Umphries McGee, The Dead and the Black Crowes and many other bands you could download about an hour after the show.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 15, 2020 17:18

I think Lucinda Williams sold download right after the shows, a couple of years ago

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 15, 2020 17:52

Lucinda is great live! Saw her open for Petty in '99. It was my 3rd time seeing Petty so Lucinda actually stole the show for me.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 15, 2020 17:54

Seen her as well, yes she's better live than on record

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 15, 2020 18:14

Erik_Snow
Seen her as well, yes she's better live than on record

Always has a great band with her.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 15, 2020 18:17

TumblinDice76
Only difference is at that time Pearl Jam's were sold by retailers after the tour.
The Who, Gov't Mule, KISS, Umphries McGee, The Dead and the Black Crowes and many other bands you could download about an hour after the show.

I think Pearl Jam started that when the market for CDs was bigger than it is now, you actually got a professionally labeled CD and sleeve mailed to you.

Willie Nelson has done the download thing for a few years now too.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 15, 2020 19:09

floodonthepage
stickyfingers101

But, whatever.

Read. Understood. Accepted. Most importantly - all good will is reciprocated.

I accept my share of the blame in all of this and issue apologies.

I found out my wife's cousin is in an induced-coma and on a ventilator in NYC yesterday. Nothing like a little perspective to smash one in the mouth.

Thanks for the note.

Date: April 15, 2020 20:06

stickyfingers101
floodonthepage
stickyfingers101

But, whatever.

Read. Understood. Accepted. Most importantly - all good will is reciprocated.

I accept my share of the blame in all of this and issue apologies.

I found out my wife's cousin is in an induced-coma and on a ventilator in NYC yesterday. Nothing like a little perspective to smash one in the mouth.

Thanks for the note.

Oh god, I'm sorry to hear your news, stickyfingers101. I hope for recovery. Does this cousin have a favorite song? I'll blast it toward NYC. Gold Rings On Ya, as Keith would say.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: April 15, 2020 20:11

great question I looked thru all my digital purchases I made from them I noticed the audio was mp3 and would have liked to repurchase in a better quality.

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: April 15, 2020 21:57

I was not trying to diminish or ignore the severity of what is going on in the world by staring the thread. Rather I was just thinking that with everyone quarantined and tours cancelled, that it might be possible for the Stones to release, digital only a Vault release, Springsteen is still putting out his live archive shows the first Friday of every month, how cool would it be if they
dropped AC ‘89 on ITunes, or any other show for that matter, hope everyone is safe and well

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 21, 2020 07:42

thanks for that clarification on Alcatraz, I remember that in Milan now. And I agree on the Trump part, I cannot imagine he has any real say on anything just because he owned the venue. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think that has anything to do with not releasing Atlantic City.

As for a next vault thing, I would have to hope for a more widespread release of Brussels Affair, its only logical and one would assume its ready to go if they wanted to.

jb

Date: April 21, 2020 08:52

jbwelda
thanks for that clarification on Alcatraz, I remember that in Milan now. And I agree on the Trump part, I cannot imagine he has any real say on anything just because he owned the venue. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think that has anything to do with not releasing Atlantic City.

As for a next vault thing, I would have to hope for a more widespread release of Brussels Affair, its only logical and one would assume its ready to go if they wanted to.

More widespread release?

plexi

jb

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home