Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The return of Keith Richards Riff Cousins!
Date: April 28, 2020 03:41

you are a class act MelBelli.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 28, 2020 04:29

Palace Revolution 2000
you are a class act MelBelli.

PR2000,

I will take that. Makes my day!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 28, 2020 13:53

audun-eg
I wish Keith didn`t release Sleep Tonight with Ron`s drumtrack. Let´s face it. He ain`t no drummer... It is a beautiful tune, but I just can`t see past those horrible unsteady drums.

It's just a matter of how you perceive music.

We all are different. I have read that there is a scientific reason for this. Apparently, there are many different areas of our brain involved in listening music, and different individuals "use" certain areas more than others. Hence some sounds are music for some and noise for others.

A friend of mine, a fine musician, is so sincerely bothered by "imperfections" in music that he can't listen and appreciate out of tune instruments, "old" recordings (we even had an argument on Robert Johnson) shifts in time etc.

I personally don't care, as far as the final result gives me something.

Loved Sleep Tonight since its release and played it who knows how many times, and never once I noticed the "bad" drumming!

C

Date: April 28, 2020 17:07

If it makes any sense, I think Ronnie drums like a guitar player.

Date: April 29, 2020 04:27

KR Riff Cousins Ep. 8!

I look at what we might call the Moveable Keith Shape — the two-fingered shape that he uses on Tumbling Dice intro, YCAGWYW rhythm fills, "Winning Ugly"(!), and, on lower string sets, when he’s playing reggae. Check it out!

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 14:00 by MelBelli.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 29, 2020 10:12

G SHARP DIMINISHED!!!! Unprecedented! What a great day!

That is pure love for the band.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 10:51

Thank you for another great episode! What I especially like about this shape is when Keith uses it for very rhythmic double stop solos like the one on Locked Away or on Beast Of Burden from the '95 Olympia gig.

Date: April 29, 2020 14:03

JumpingKentFlash
G SHARP DIMINISHED!!!! Unprecedented! What a great day!

That is pure love for the band.

LOL, I can barely suppress my shock, right?!

MonkeyMan, I should’ve gotten into how he applies the shape to his solos. Almost Hear You Sigh is a favorite. Thanks!

Date: April 29, 2020 14:59

What is great is how one chord can work for a writer. E.g. the diminished chord. a prolific writer will use that for the next year.
It is very interesting to watch Dean Ween clips about his guitar playing, and his writing, because he always talks about their discovery of the maj7th chords, and the one position that you can basically slide up and down the board. He used it for a bunch of soul songs after that.

Date: April 29, 2020 15:35

Palace Revolution 2000
What is great is how one chord can work for a writer. E.g. the diminished chord. a prolific writer will use that for the next year.
It is very interesting to watch Dean Ween clips about his guitar playing, and his writing, because he always talks about their discovery of the maj7th chords, and the one position that you can basically slide up and down the board. He used it for a bunch of soul songs after that.

I agree with this completely, or course. It bugs me whenever people put down Keith for having repeated himself so often. But musical ideas are like words or vocabulary; you can make different sentences, sometimes wildly different sentences, with the same words.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 29, 2020 16:12

The reggae "Too rude" explanation made me think of the third side of LYL when the Stones cover Bo Didley "Cracking up". The El Mocambo recordings are so great especially the guitars sounds, tones and performances. Do you listen to it once in while and do you find something very specific about those 2 nights that is different ? Thank you.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 1, 2020 19:37

Had some fun with this one — Episode 9 of Riff Cousins.

“Runnin’ Too Deep” and “Will But You Won’t.” Almost called it Riff Brothers or Twins!

Most interesting bit, to me, is the use of a C7 shape in verses of RTD. Reminded me of Lowell George and “Fat Man in a Bathtub.”

Check it out!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: May 1, 2020 23:59

Niiiice, two of my faves. The rock 'n' roll doesn't get much dirtier than these two. I can't imagine one without the other.

Date: May 5, 2020 05:13

More Mick Taylor tastiness: his solos on “I Could Have Stood You Up” and John Phillips’ “Oh Virginia.”

Check it out!

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-05 05:14 by MelBelli.

Date: May 7, 2020 22:33

KR Riff Cousins Episode 10, playing country in open G. Check it out!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 8, 2020 16:08

MelBelli

[youtu.be]

Hi and hats off to your awesome series you've put out.
much appreciated.

seems like the YT link got mixed.
the Possum & Keith link goes to Words of Wonder instead. next project? thumbs up
you can use this one if you like
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 8, 2020 16:59

open-g
MelBelli

[youtu.be]

Hi and hats off to your awesome series you've put out.
much appreciated.

seems like the YT link got mixed.
the Possum & Keith link goes to Words of Wonder instead. next project? thumbs up
you can use this one if you like
[www.youtube.com]

Fixed. Thank you on all counts!

Date: May 8, 2020 17:08

Did you happen to notice that that the Stones mistitled their “Learning the Game” video as taking place in 2005? Sadly not atypical for them.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 9, 2020 01:34

MelBelli
Did you happen to notice that that the Stones mistitled their “Learning the Game” video as taking place in 2005? Sadly not atypical for them.
That's clearly at Zilker Park in front of 42,000 fans Austin, Texas - 22.10.06
perhaps the underpaid, overworked staff had to test if and how the concusion or recreational stuff works. bless their hearts. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 12, 2020 00:40

Trying to keep rolling here ... Riff Cousins Episode 11. Looking at the many examples of Keith using an E/G# slash chord. Check it out!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:38

Hi MelBelli,

i like your lessons. I have already found out a few things. In addition to the E / G "slash chord, he sometimes uses the Dsus2 / F" and the Dm9 / F "during the chorus on" Slipping Away ". You do it really well. I really appreciate it and I think if you do it yourself the songs played on guitar or whatever you can feel them better live or on the recording
Thank you Scott

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 12, 2020 22:25

I’m in agreement with the others, this is a really interesting series. Thanks for sharing your discoveries. I’m enjoying them. As a guitarist I have discovered these methods are not easy to replicate. Thanks from New Zealand

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 13, 2020 15:45

I'm just a stupid drummer (and play some guitar), but I like this a lot.

Date: May 13, 2020 16:32

Thank you, guys. Much more to come! Right now, I’m working on a couple more Waddy solos. I always learn something new from him...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 13, 2020 16:39

Thanks for all of this great information. It'll keep me busy for years! thumbs up

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:10

CousinC
I'm just a stupid drummer (and play some guitar), but I like this a lot.
I'm just a stupid drummer too (who doesn't play guitar) and I like this a lot as well. How bout one about that cool riffing he does in songs like, Let Me Go and She's So Cold?

Date: May 14, 2020 01:35

Got another pair of Waddy Wachtel solos for you — “Wicked As It Seems” and “Finishing Touches” (Warren Zevon). Check ‘em out!

[youtu.be]

Date: May 15, 2020 22:17

YouTube analytics tell me it’s all arrows down for non-Keith videos. So here is Riff Cousins Ep. 12:

[youtu.be]

Is the HTW intro lurking in “Good Times, Bad Times”? Also, I look at how Keith continued using what I call his “paleo” suspension shape (“19th Nervous Breakdown”).

Check it out!

Date: June 9, 2020 04:12

Sorry for the lack of content lately!

Here is Ep 13 — a look at some of Keith’s aggressive power-chord riffing, wherein he pulls off and hammers back on the root note. Seems to me he began doing this during the Some Girls sessions.

Check it out!

[youtu.be]

Date: June 13, 2020 00:15

Episode 14 — a look at a dominant 7 move that Keith did on Monkey Man, It Means A Lot, and Sparks Will Fly.

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home