Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The return of Keith Richards Riff Cousins!
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 9, 2020 01:39

Since we’re in quarantine, more or less, I figured now would be a good time to revive my old YouTube channel and the “Keith Richards Riff Cousins” series. My kids are helping me as production assistants now, lol.

I’m going to try to update it regularly with content.

Check it out!

[m.youtube.com]

Re: The return of Keith Richards Riff Cousins!
Date: April 9, 2020 01:50

First video is where it all began: the multiple appearances of the FDim7 chord that Keith says doesn’t have a name. confused smiley

Next is the open-G version of a Cadd9 (Love is Strong, Substantial Damage) and the Em-D-C-Bm progression found on Hold Back and Struggle.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 9, 2020 02:58

This made my day. Two more likes. Great videos. Great playing. Great tone. I'm not a player so it's always great to see exceptionally well-done educational videos like this.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: April 9, 2020 03:05

Awesome stuff Mel! Looking forward to seeing more. Your assessment of Dirty Work was perfect. Theres some great tunes on there, but the drum sound just takes all that beautiful loosey goosey tighty whitey swingy thing and chucks it in the rubbish bin. Tell your kids they're doing a great job...Substantial Damage what a tune!

Date: April 9, 2020 03:15

Thank you both!

Date: April 9, 2020 10:46

Good stuff, Mel!

We just had this little open G and minor chords-debate in an other thread, btw smiling smiley

If a 10 string open G counts, WH might have been the first smiling smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 9, 2020 14:13

Great job MelBelli: you are the Sigmund Freud of Open "G spot" tuning. Fanstastic!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 9, 2020 14:48

That's wonderfull stuff. Can't wait for more!

thank you

Date: April 9, 2020 14:54

You remind me of a very good player who used to post clips on the Tube. He also did many Keith and Ronnie segments; tons of R&B, Soul.
Nowadays w/YouTube everybody knows everything, so learning a few Open G changes isn't a big deal. But delivering them in style is a lot trickier. IMO it is your right hand that puts it over the top.

PS I am going to find those other clips and send you the link.

[youtu.be]
Here's a link. This clip ties in a bit with songs you mentioned. This guy plays with heaps of what I can only call elegance. He covers many obscure gems; some great Ron Wood stuff.
Wonder whatever happened to the guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-09 16:38 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 9, 2020 15:39

Palace Revolution 2000
You remind me of a very good player who used to post clips on the Tube. He also did many Keith and Ronnie segments; tons of R&B, Soul.
Nowadays w/YouTube everybody knows everything, so learning a few Open G changes isn't a big deal. But delivering them in style is a lot trickier. IMO it is your right hand that puts it over the top.

Was it Keith who said "all is in the right hand"?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 9, 2020 17:56

A big problem with youtube these days seems to be that educational videos dealing with music are blocked very quickly if they involve a song. Rick Beato and others are having a hard time because of that.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 9, 2020 19:52

DandelionPowderman
Good stuff, Mel!

We just had this little open G and minor chords-debate in an other thread, btw smiling smiley

The videos are very interesting. You pointed out some open G songs I had forgotten that had minor chords. Luxury is a song where a Am is implied but I do not think is actually played. Can you think of other examples? The original wild horses does have a beautiful sound.

Date: April 9, 2020 20:07

doitywoik
A big problem with youtube these days seems to be that educational videos dealing with music are blocked very quickly if they involve a song. Rick Beato and others are having a hard time because of that.

That’s why I’m afraid to play portions of the actual recordings, which would make the videos immeasurably better!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 9, 2020 20:20

Palace Revolution 2000

[youtu.be]
Here's a link. This clip ties in a bit with songs you mentioned. This guy plays with heaps of what I can only call elegance. He covers many obscure gems; some great Ron Wood stuff.
Wonder whatever happened to the guy.

Love mnaicck's Utube channel. I think he also used to post here. At least, that is how I found that Utube channel.

C

Date: April 9, 2020 21:00

Rocknroll1969
DandelionPowderman
Good stuff, Mel!

The videos are very interesting. You pointed out some open G songs I had forgotten that had minor chords. Luxury is a song where a Am is implied but I do not think is actually played. Can you think of other examples? The original wild horses does have a beautiful sound.

Mel showed us Struggle and You Don't Move Me here. If I'm not mistaken, One Hit is another one from the same era with an open G minor chord.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-09 21:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 9, 2020 21:05

In case you are checking this thread MelBelli, I need to amend my previous post. I never read and check them, so I write off the top of my head a hit 'send'.
I didn't even say how much I enjoyed your clips.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 9, 2020 21:10

MartinB
Palace Revolution 2000

Was it Keith who said "all is in the right hand"?

I belive it was Zappa.

Date: April 10, 2020 00:54

New video: I-IV hammer-on moves in standard (Beast of Burden, Almost Hear You Sigh, Whip It Up, It Means A Lot):

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-10 01:27 by MelBelli.

Date: April 10, 2020 02:15

Palace Revolution 2000
In case you are checking this thread MelBelli, I need to amend my previous post. I never read and check them, so I write off the top of my head a hit 'send'.
I didn't even say how much I enjoyed your clips.

Thanks, bro!

Date: April 10, 2020 16:11

I have always considered the A chord in 'Hand of Fate' as one of those implied minor chords that you mention. It's a taint chord, LOL
You can bar it in 2nd fret, but you can't really play that C# note on the B string.

Date: April 10, 2020 16:55

Palace Revolution 2000
I have always considered the A chord in 'Hand of Fate' as one of those implied minor chords that you mention. It's a taint chord, LOL
You can bar it in 2nd fret, but you can't really play that C# note on the B string.

That, and How I Wish and You Don’t Move Me. But Love is Strong and Lowdown are A major. Maybe I should do a video of just G -> A hammer-ons!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 10, 2020 17:25

Another I - IV hammer on is on Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

Now, I am quite sure that the studio version is open G, so that doesn't count, but live - at least the most recent versions - it is played in standard tuning.

Not too sure how it was played at the 75 tour.

C

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 10, 2020 19:59

I am sure Keith Richards played Twenty Flight Rock in open G in 1981

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: April 10, 2020 20:20

After all these years, I'm still blown away how great a song Beast of Burden is. I've turned a lotta folks into Stones freaks, with that number.

Date: April 10, 2020 21:22

liddas
Another I - IV hammer on is on Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

Now, I am quite sure that the studio version is open G, so that doesn't count, but live - at least the most recent versions - it is played in standard tuning.

Not too sure how it was played at the 75 tour.

C

It's standard. He goes down to the low E at times.

Date: April 10, 2020 21:24

Palace Revolution 2000

If they added an acoustic on Hand Of Fate the A would most probably have been an Am. The minor chord is implied indeed in the riff smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-10 21:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 10, 2020 21:26

drwatts
After all these years, I'm still blown away how great a song Beast of Burden is. I've turned a lotta folks into Stones freaks, with that number.

Indeed. The problem, though, is that most people heard Bette's version first, hence find the original a bit 'wimpy'. I love both.

Date: April 11, 2020 03:17

Did Keith cop his signature moves from Ry Cooder?

A 15-minute disquisition!

[youtu.be]

Date: April 11, 2020 10:51

Love it, Mel thumbs up

Btw, wouldn't CYHMK be (kind of) the first add9 in open G (although he is adding/implying to add 3 strings)?

YCAGWYW would be the first in open E/D.

The third chord in the GS-riff also has a similar add9 on the studio version (adding two strings, though). Keith didn't play that one on stage until he did it with the Winos. In standard tuning then, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-11 15:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 11, 2020 17:47

Thanks man.

CYHMK has a 9 as well as a sharp 4. It’s kind of a Lydian sound. Thought of giving that special attention. It had to have been a happy accident!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home