Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - 1964/5/6/7
Date: April 7, 2020 15:54

In 1964 life as we know it began. The Stones put out their album. While looking at that year, and following years, I am always amazed at the quality of work released by all artists. Along side the Stones first album these are a small number of competing releases. It's interesting to see how far the Beatles had already progressed. "Hard Day's Night" IMO is one of their very best.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-10 15:49 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: OT - 1964
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 7, 2020 16:10

Yes! A great year for music.

If I had to rate musical years:

1. 1965
2. 1971
3. 1969

But really any year between (and including) 1964-1971 is pretty great. Such a huge and wonderful variety.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:42

Palace Revolution 2000
In 1964 life as we know it began.

It sure did for me, was born in September of that year. smiling smiley

Lots of good music came out in the 70's too prior to disco, then seemed to be a long pause until Stevie Ray Vaughn came along.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 06:54

The Ronettes! I think everyone knows Be My Baby but I recently got their greatest hits CD. Wow, lots of hits. I believe the album pictured above is their only studio album? Look at the firsts five songs: Be My Baby, Walking In The Rain, Do I Love You, Baby I Love You and The Best Part of Breaking Up, all classics. Spector's Wall of Sound.
Stones opened for the Ronettes in England in 1964. Just saw a Youtube interview with Nedra Talley saying she had a fling with Brian while Keith was with Ronnie. The Ronettes also opened for the Beatles on their last American tour in 66. Phil wouldn't let Ronnie tour because he knew John wanted her! Estelle hooked up with Paul on that tour and was with Mick previously. One of the Ronettes cousins toured in place of Ronnie. There's audio on Youtube of 3 songs they played on that tour with Nedra singing lead on Be My Baby and Estelle singing Walking In The Rain as well as Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. Both have great voices.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2020 08:14

OOOwwww yeah what a year ....

Righteous Bros -- You lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Motown stuff pourin out .... Supremes with Diana's
dolly voice like nothin else on Baby Love ... Where
Did Our love Go ..... Kinks Ya Really Got Me .....
House Of Risin' Sun ... Impressions Keep On pushin....
Temptations ... Joe Tex ..... Chuck - Never Can Tell ....
Zombies Shes Not There ..... Four Tops Need Your Lovin ......
Tobacco Road ..... Dixie Cups ....... When You walk in The Room ........

And were only a year away from ( I Cant Get No ) Satisfaction .....

ROCKMAN

Re: OT - 1964/5
Date: April 8, 2020 09:05

Kind of like this; please contribute btw. Looked at some '65 titles then.

Date: April 8, 2020 09:14

Trashmen took The Rivington's Papa-Oom and
hot-wired it into The Rivingtons - The Bird's
The Word and fed it back to us as that thing called Surfin' Bird ...

I mean how crazy is that thang .....
it was like nothing else on the radio at that time .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 8, 2020 09:48

You should do 2018/19

Date: April 8, 2020 10:32

.... yeah whats her address ???? ..... hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 11:36

kovach
Palace Revolution 2000
In 1964 life as we know it began.

It sure did for me, was born in September of that year. smiling smiley

Lots of good music came out in the 70's too prior to disco, then seemed to be a long pause until Stevie Ray Vaughn came along.

Praised are the young people winking smiley
Good to find you on this great Stones site!
1964 ... February... Not Fade Away ... and I was "lost" forever grinning smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 8, 2020 14:27

Palace Revolution 2000
In 1964 life as we know it began. The Stones put out their album. While looking at that year, and following years, I am always amazed at the quality of work released by all artists. Along side the Stones first album these are a small number of competing releases. It's interesting to see how far the Beatles had already progressed. "Hard Day's Night" IMO is one of their very best.

Your basic premise is wrong.

1963 was a far more significant year. The Beatles got their first No1. On Jan 12th Charlie completed the line-up of The Rolling Stones. The Beatles met The Stones in April (if I had a Time Machine, that evening in Edith Grove is where I'd go). The Stones got a recording contract. The Beatles blew away all current records with a million pre-sales of "She Loves You". The Beatles played The London Palladium and Beatlemania was born. The Stones covered a Beatles track and got a serious leg up in the charts.

And JFK was murdered on a street in Dallas.

Historically a far more significant year than 1964.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 8, 2020 14:37

DGA35, I’m pretty sure it’s the other way round: The Ronettes opened for the Stones.

Date: April 8, 2020 18:18

Bastion
You should do 2018/19

Going to try and work my way up there.

Date: April 8, 2020 18:24

CaptainCorella
Palace Revolution 2000

Your basic premise is wrong.

1963 was a far more significant year. The Beatles got their first No1. On Jan 12th Charlie completed the line-up of The Rolling Stones. The Beatles met The Stones in April (if I had a Time Machine, that evening in Edith Grove is where I'd go). The Stones got a recording contract. The Beatles blew away all current records with a million pre-sales of "She Loves You". The Beatles played The London Palladium and Beatlemania was born. The Stones covered a Beatles track and got a serious leg up in the charts.

And JFK was murdered on a street in Dallas.

Historically a far more significant year than 1964.

If you want to use words like 'wrong', that is okay.
WWII ended in '45; or Elvis put out "Heartbreak Hotel" in '56. We could go back and back.
Add albums from '63; it will only make this thread better.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 21:27

Big Al
DGA35, I’m pretty sure it’s the other way round: The Ronettes opened for the Stones.

I kind of thought so but I've read they opened for the Ronettes, who were huge at the time and the Stones were just starting out.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 8, 2020 22:08

Palace Revolution 2000
Kind of like this; please contribute btw. Looked at some '65 titles then.

I think you forgot the No 2 album. And Out Of Our Heads too!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 9, 2020 03:05

the 2nd half of the 60,s was the best for music, amazing to think pink floyd formed in 1965, the stones were getting better as were the beatles, the doors formed, psychedelic music was the big thing, we had the who, hendrix, jefferson airplane, dylan and much more, i think everything that has come after 1970 was a watered down version of what came between 1965 and 1970. some of the music was way ahead of its time.

Re: OT - 1964/5/6
Date: April 9, 2020 06:44

On to '66. With this year there seems to be a floodgate that opened up. Not to slight the preceding years at all, but in '66 e.g. I could have easily added another 10 titles. I had been glancing through my own stuff, but I found a site that has every year's albums chronicled. And now it is way easier to do the art and to see more titles. I never would have thought of Simon & Garfunkel e.g. but the arrival of that sound must have made a stir. I had to add "Pet Sounds" - I am most likely in minority, but I never really got into "Pet Sounds". Also am trying to stay loosely in rock format. I was looking at my stuff and saw Coltrane w/ Elvin Jones moving into avantgarde w/ 'Ascension", and Ornette's "Stockholm recordings,Duke put out several seminal albums in '66.

I had literally forgotten about the Beatles LOL.
I was thinking that there is awful lot of new thinking in these albums. This covered a wide spectrum. Yet you still saw them perform on same stages, and festivals.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2020 09:04

There was nothing quite like 1969. Abbey Road in fall, Let it Bleed at Christmas. And that summer saw the debut of Crosby, Stills and Nash, Blind Faith, and Led Zeppelin.

Date: April 9, 2020 14:45

24FPS
There was nothing quite like 1969. Abbey Road in fall, Let it Bleed at Christmas. And that summer saw the debut of Crosby, Stills and Nash, Blind Faith, and Led Zeppelin.

You are so right. I was thinking about the quality of work coming out around turn of decade; like '68-70. If you were a recording act, you really had to be at the top of your game because it is staggering to see all these titles, that are all deemed absolute classics nowadays.

Re: OT - 1964/5/6/7
Date: April 10, 2020 16:05

The Love album, and the band actually is one of those titles that took me years to 'get'. I just never gave it any real attention. Fantastic release. Pink Floyd, and Moody Blues show up; Hendrix and the VU.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home