Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Hand of Fate
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 23:56

I always liked this song.I wonder why the Stones never played this again live aftersome really good performances of this on the 1976 tour.I think they only played it again after that at the El Mocambo shows.

Re: Hand of Fate
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:07

Taylor1
I always liked this song.I wonder why the Stones never played this again live aftersome really good performances of this on the 1976 tour.I think they only played it again after that at the El Mocambo shows.

It's a fabulous song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:14

I saw them play it at Vredenburg 2003, and I'm pretty sure they played it a couple of other times during the Licks Tour.
Fantastic tune and the studio version is one of my favorites, but live it was a bit messy (and not in the best way) - Ronnie completely screwed up the solo.

Date: April 7, 2020 00:31

Hairball
I saw them play it at Vredenburg 2003, and I'm pretty sure they played it a couple of other times during the Licks Tour.
Fantastic tune and the studio version is one of my favorites, but live it was a bit messy (and not in the best way) - Ronnie completely screwed up the solo.
He played the solo really well in Paris1976.I forgot they played it on the Licks Tour.I think the blame for some of the bad performances on those tours like the one you saw is Darryl.He can’t play it like Bill.Still it seemed it should have been played a lot more on tours instead of songs like You Got Me Rockin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 00:32 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:36

Played several times on Licks tour and included on FOUR FLICKS:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 7, 2020 00:51

Ronnie's solo is pretty bad in that Four Flicks version also.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:54

They played it at the Aragon Ballroom in 2002. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:59

I've always wondered why they didn't play this song live until I heard it on the Licks Tour. Like other classics such as 'Rocks Off', 'Sway', 'Torn And Frayed' and 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' these songs just sound much better on their original album versions. I wish Ronnie was a better lead guitarist. He is functional at best. At worse he is sloppy and amateurish.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-11 15:24 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 7, 2020 01:25

He actually is a very good guitarist. When he wants to be. He just doesn't seem to want to be all that often. A shame too.

jb

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 7, 2020 01:29

I got it in 2003. It was like I was sent up to heaven. Perfect version of a perfect tune, 22.7.2003smileys with beer

Date: April 7, 2020 01:48

Wood played a great solo on the Paris 1976 shows.I think on the Licks Tour the fault is mostly with Darryl.He can’t play it with the genius of Bill.He has no sense of rhythm

Date: April 7, 2020 02:02

Taylor1
Wood played a great solo on the Paris 1976 shows.I think on the Licks Tour the fault is mostly with Darryl.He can’t play it with the genius of Bill.He has no sense of rhythm

Nonsense.

Date: April 7, 2020 02:33

Darryl plods along when he should be rocking and plays too many notes that add nothing to the songs.He was a bad choice.I don’t care if he played with Miles Davis.He can’t hold a candle to Bill.

Date: April 7, 2020 02:34

But you blame him for Ronnie's performance?

Date: April 7, 2020 02:40

Ronnie played it great in 1976.Im just saying Darryl was the wrong choice for this band .And I think his playing does affect the overall band.I listen to his solos on Miss You,and I find them sterile and boring,even though Jagger says he wishes he could play bass like him.

Date: April 7, 2020 02:48

Glam Descendant
Taylor1

Nonsense.

Yeah ridiculous - the bass playing is the least of their worries on a tune like this that demands proper guitar playing (both rhythm and lead ) - can't blame Darryl for everything.

MadMax
I got it in 2003. It was like I was sent up to heaven. Perfect version of a perfect tune, 22.7.2003smileys with beer

I was there also MadMax (we probably rubbed shoulderssmileys with beer ), and forgot they played it at this show which shows how much I thought of it...i.e. for the most part it was forgettable.
At the time I was probably blown away with surprise to be able to witness it, but with hindsight and listening back to boots....Ronnie's solos are torturous.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 7, 2020 03:43

This really is one of my favorites. I have listened to it many, many times.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 05:30

I ADORE the recorded version, It has a slightly odd "choppy" tempo - best I can describe it.

For THAT reason, on the live versions I have heard, whilst I enjoy them, never rise to great heights. The Stones, live, cannot seem to find a way to replicate the shuffle/chop of the album version.They almost fall over themselves, which often with The Stones is a genuine part of their live greatness. But with Hand of Fate, they stumble.

Sort of like Crazy Mama too...

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 05:30 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2020 06:35

One of Jagger's best ever vocals. That growl.

Date: April 7, 2020 08:05

Taylor1

The track talk is under "Forum links of interest" on the first page on IORR.

Here's Hand Of Fate: [iorr.org]

Date: April 7, 2020 08:46

Taylor1
Ronnie played it great in 1976.Im just saying Darryl was the wrong choice for this band .And I think his playing does affect the overall band.I listen to his solos on Miss You,and I find them sterile and boring,even though Jagger says he wishes he could play bass like him.

I actually think that Daryl has a lot to do with the song not sounding right. There's gap in the modern versions. That the Kick drum , and the Bass used to sit in. That is left open in Licks versions.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 7, 2020 09:04

Hairball

Lucky you, can you remember if it sounded good? I mean, this must´ve been the 8th time or so live on this tour as it was in every "club" show by then. I ´m still stunned and shattered and shocked I didn't´t make it to ONE of the small shows!!!!

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:31

Someone else might recall better than I do but I remember seeing Mick Jagger saying (jokingly in exasperation) something to the effect of "hand of fate with all it's words" in regards to performing it live.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:45

Wayne Perkins solo it's amazing:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 7, 2020 11:41

woodyweaving
Someone else might recall better than I do but I remember seeing Mick Jagger saying (jokingly in exasperation) something to the effect of "hand of fate with all it's words" in regards to performing it live.

in the four flicks dvd before the Toronto warm up...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 7, 2020 12:27

TornAndFried
I always wondered why they didn't play this song live until I heard it on the Licks Tour. Like other classics like 'Rocks Off', 'Sway', 'Torn And Frayed' and 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' these songs just sound much better on their original album versions. I wish Ronnie was a much better lead guitarist. He is "functional" at best. At worst he is mediocre.

When he is/was good (Shattered, Hampton 1981, Sugar Love you live) he was good but no he’s not really a lead guitarist is he.

Date: April 7, 2020 12:28

The Crazy mama lick is wonderful though. I like his ”weaving”, short fills, in 78-82.

Date: April 7, 2020 12:35

Hand of fate is a perfect example of how well the Stones transitioned in the mid 70s compared to other 60s giants. They sound like a 70s band. Better even. Critics might say Jagger was pliable but the cracks didnt show until later in the 80s.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: April 7, 2020 15:34

I heard Hand of Fate on their first night of the European Tour ´76 in Frankfurt. It must have been the first of night the song also in front of an audience.

It did sound great, although I remeber thinking how great the taylorsque solo could have been, if played by MT.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 7, 2020 15:48

The studio version captures that elusive Stones "attitude".

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home